lexicon: off ADs for 2 months and in horrible distress

lexicon

Alto what kind of magnesium and where do I find it? Thank you ..xx

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lexicon

• abir

• Altostrata

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sorry to hear you're suffering so much. Anxiety attacks are awful, especially when they keep coming one after the other. Are there any parts of the day when symptoms aren't quite so bad? Any moments at all when things calm down a little?

I think about you during the day and how you are suffering, and hope you're getting some relief from these symptoms from time to time. Keep writting here about how you are doing, when you feel up to it. Benz

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

Aaah, today has been such a terrible day .. And it has not given me s break at all .. It is now almost 9 pm and am still so very dizzy, I cannot see straight, much less walk ..

My head issues are still here, and so are the anxiety symptoms ..:(

Thank you dear Benz for thinking of me ..It helps so much that someone is in your corner ..

But I do wonder why this severity today ..

And why it does not let go ..:(

Alto, can you tell me please.? I seem to do better when I understand the why ..

Good night dear Benz ..God bless you for your care and support ..xx

Hello,

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

Yes, I'm in your corner. Everyone here is in your corner, and we're all thinking of you and what you're going through right now. Try to get as much rest as you can tonight, Benz

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

I'm in your corner too Lex.I've been so dizzy and nauseous I can't think. Getting outside helped a little but I swear I am motion sick. I think I'll try dramamine again if it doesn't ease today. It helped to lay still last night..Once we get that stuff in our head stirred up it takes a while to calm down. Some longer than others I think. Maybe today will be better for us. Stay strong and remember what this is.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

Lex, how are you feeling today? Benz

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

You brought tears to my eyes, dear Benz, you and Flower ..Thank you for thinking of me, for your support and for writing ..

I was up at times during the night ..awake with this freaking dizzy ..

I fell asleep at some point, and woke at 6am.

This morning am emotional and depressed .. Some of the dizzy is still here, and my walking is off and not steady ..

Also the anxiety is hovering in the background, with my heart and stomach acting up ..

I desperately hope the symptoms stay away today ..

How are you Benz? I failed to pray last night, but did so this morning ..So God is aware that we need His healing grace ..

I am grateful to you, for the encouragement, and support ..

Thank you, God bless you ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Flower wi feel saddened that you were not feeling good yesterday ..:(

I wish that you will have a better day today, and you would not need the dramamine ..

I took it a couple of times, but it did not help me ..

Thank you for your support andi encouragement Flower, it brought tears to my eyes ..I am in your corner too ..

I was saying to dear Benz that I failed to pray last night, but did this morning ..God knows that we need His healing grace ..

Thinking of you, and wishing a serene day for you ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Hi Angel,

I have not responded, as I have had a couple bad days ..

I have been thinking of you, and praying that you are feeling better. Please write and update ..

I am in your corner Angel and wish you wellness. Xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Hi lex, I woke up at 6am and couldn't go back to sleep, too.

I'm having a wave today. Anxiety. It's not too bad right now, though.

Hope I feel better this afternoon because I want to got to see my Nephew's Lacrosse game at 415pm.

But even if I don't feel all that great, I think I'll try and get there anyway. Getting through a normal sort of activity like that when I don't feel that great-acting as though there's nothing wrong-always seems like an accomplishment to me, shows me that I don't always have to stop doing things I like, just because of these symptoms.

Of course, when they're really bad and I can't do a particular thing I wanted to, I don't feel defeated, because I know I have to take care of myself more at those times.

How are you doing today? Really hoping you're having a better day than you have been lately, you really deserve it after all of these trials. But regardless, you will start to feel better eventually, maybe sooner than you expect. Benz

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

• Administrator

lexicon, when you want to understand, please read your topic again.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I am sorry Alto, I do not mean to test your patience ..I am sure you have your hands full with all of us ..

It is just that when in distress, I look for some support and encouragement, to carry through ..

I am grateful for your guidance thus far, and for the wonderful work you do ..

I think of you, as God's right hand ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

• Administrator

Not really, more like a wart on God's left pinky toe.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Lexicon,

I think those of you with serotonin syndrome have a pretty tough go. That's a lot for your neuroreceptors to adapt to. But at least the doctors seem to get it that more drugs is not the solution to that.

I wonder if a psychiatric home health nurse might be helpful. Their service would be ordered by your doctor. He/she could check your pulse and blood pressure and help you find out what activities you can safely do while you wait for your nervous system to settle down. It doesn't feel real safe to say "it's OK, you'll be fine" over the Internet when you are so frightened and uncomfortable. Although based on experiences here, you are probably OK and going to be fine once this struggle is over. But do keep us updated on your progress!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Hi meimei ..You have a sweet and soothing way to you, that I feel better reading what you say ..Unfortunately having a nurse is not an option for me ..

I wish meimei..

How are you, and how are your days ..I think of you, and say a silent prayer for your well being ..

Today for me was distressful as usual .. I feel that I cannot breathe and struggle for air ..This creates events that follow immediately .. The back of my head responds, with pressure, a mild headache and dizziness sets in ..

I feel that there is no air in the room, and scramble to turn a fan on, and open the door .. Then my tummy starts hurting and my heart beating heavy ..

The dizzy stays all day after the breathing trigger .. The tummy and heart, come and go, through out the day ..And there is depression .. crying and crying ..

I suspect that this whole ordeal may be anxiety ..

Did you ever have this meimei ..?

I hope tomorrow is a better day, for us all ..

Thank you for your interest and encouragement . Wishing you a good night ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

just to say that yesterday I took a Magnesium tablet hoping to ease anxiety ..unfortunately it made me ill with severe dizziness and nausea that lasted all day .What do you think happened ..?

I did not take any today ..

With gratitude, for any input ..thank you ..

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

• Moderator Emeritus

Not sure what happened with the magnesium. Hope you feel better soon.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Lex, Hi, hope you're doing better today.

I've got some mild nausea myself, haven't had that for months.

We seem to be so extremely sensitive to just about everything when we're in withdrawal or tapering. Things that wouldn't have had any obvious effect on us before or during antidepressants, now have strong negative effects. I used to take a ton of vitamins and herbal supliments in my 30's. Now any one of them make me feel awful. It's just better to keep things as simple as possible during all of this. Moderate food, rest and activity. We have to do some suffering to get through this, but how much suffering may depend as much on what we refrain from trying as much as what we do try.

How are you getting along today? Benz

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Dear pgd,

Thank you for writing ..What happened could be that my system has changed so much since this ordeal begun ..Everything that I used to take, I cannot anymore, not even medications, as they turn paradoxical ..

At least this is what I think happened, combing through this site for into ..

I am grateful that you wrote .. I wish you wellness, as I see that you are going through a lot too ..I will be thinking of you, so please update on your progress ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Hi dear Benz,

You are right, things have been altered with our systems. ..I wonder how long it will take before things get back to normal ..

It is early in the morning for me, and am bothered with the usual heaviness iand pressure in the back of the head, plus the stomach and heart ordeal ..And my breathing concerns me, as it attacks abruptly ..It frightens me each time ..:(

Anxiety I think ..

I was hoping the Magnesium would have helped ..But not ..:(

How did your day go yesterday, and how is it today for you?

I cannot thank you enough, for being in my corner Benz ..I always appreciate your sound advice, and support ..God bless you ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

When's the last time you had your heart checked out? Benz

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Probably when this started, about 5-6 werks ago .. I went to throw ER and they kept me overnight .. The diagnosis was premature beats ..I also wore s halter monitor for 24 hours.

That was normal.

Why Benz? What are you thinking?

It is this breathing that gives me distress ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Dear Lex,

Assuming you are just going through the normal torture of WD , this is what is happening: the normal balance between activation and relaxation is blown to pieces. So magnesium that in high doses can over activate the intestines does so with a small dose, your hormones tell your lungs they need to breathe like you're in mortal danger and your heart that it must beat faster, etc. Of course this is not a good long term plan. But in the short term it is much safer than serotonin syndrome, and it is something that will pass with time.

There is something I want to say with a very tender heart. As you know, you are really sick. And people are trying to give you the best advice they can. It may be good advice or bad advice...who knows. We don't actually know you. But you always have a reason you can't do something to get real help from real people. If you are able to go to the ER, one can usually get home health as it has much more bang for the buck. Could you hire someone to drive you to the specialist? Even if you have to put groceries on a credit card for a year. I think it will be really hard for you to find your fighting place to get real help, but if you can do that, I think just the process of fighting will help you get better. Or maybe I am just being bipolar. Only you can decide.

I promise you I would take you to the doctor if I could!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Tell your dr about not feeling like you're getting a full breath, or did you at your last visit?

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Hi lexicon

Being taken off meds so abruptly is the height of insanity on the doctor's part. Makes me mad that doctor's do that.

No wonder you feel poorly. In reading your drug history it looks like ssri continued to cause anxiety for you. I don't know your whole story. Can you find another doctor who can help you thru this ordeal? There are other medications other than ssri, like the old tricyclics which can aid anxiety in a relatively low dose.

As for you heart and breathing, sometimes panic feels like a heart attack or I remember thinking I had a brain tumor....it was bad back then.

What did the holter monitor reveal? There is a beta blocker 'propranolol' that is to lower blood pressure, when you see your doctor ask if you can take it. It really does stop anxiety.

So hope you feel better

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Hi Benz, I hope you are having a good morning ..

Thank you always for your care Benz...

Well, yesterday was the worst of the worst for me ..:(

All the symptoms and some new made the day highly distressing and miserable ..

A tough day to bear ..:(

Hoping and praying that today will be easier ..

Wishing you the best, along with thank you for being there with a kind word of support ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Very sorry to hear you had such a bad day. I seem to be hitting a wave today, myself. Just took my first liquid dose of Effexor. So far so good.

How are you feeling so far today? Benz

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Hi Nikki,

Thank you for writing and your support .. I am grateful. ..

Nikki, the SSRI 'S were prescribed for Hyperthyroid ..And you are right, I always had problems while on them..

I saw various doctors and complained about symptoms such as dizziness, and being unable to walk straight. .. Not one had a clue what the problem was ..They would only say that my case was atypical.

When I tried to taper, I started having panic attacks. .. I was at the ER a dozen times ..But they were of no help either ..

More antidepressants were added for cross tapering, and more miserable I became ..

When I finally became debilitated, I went to this clinic, where the quick tapering took place ..And Here I am ..3 months later suffering...

I did see the doctor last night, and I inquirered it I could reinstate 2 Mg of the Sertraline to stabilize ..He said no, not at this point .. He thought it will be dangerous, because any medication that I have taken my body turns paradoxical ..:( Propranolol, metoptolol included. The holter belt was normal ..Every other test comes back normal ..

Yet, here I sm in daily distress and suffering ..:(

Thank you for your encouragement Nikki. ..And for reading this long text ..

I wish you all the very best ..

With much gratitude ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

I am sorry to hear that you ere having a wave Benz ..:( Maybe that is what I had yesterday ..

It is good that the medication helps you ..Hopefully your day will be uneventful ..

It is early for me, but I do feel my head not doing good, and am trying to ignore it ..

Please say a prayer for me ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Thank you Tezza, .. I am grateful. ..I have thought of you, and prayed for your well being ..

I wish that all is well with you ../xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Yesterday I saw my doctor, who refused to help me reinstate the Sertraline, with a very small dose. ..

The reason was that he is concerned because of my hypersensitivity to any medication or supplement ..He said it will be dangerous...

Today, cleaning a drawer I found 8 sertraline tablets. ..each is 25 Mg..

I am so very desperate, that I am thinking to make my own liquid.

Can I please have some thoughts on this ..?

Can you please give me some support, that I am doing the right thing to help myself ..?

Do you think that doing this may be dangerous like the doctor said ..?

I am grateful for any help ..Thank you ..

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

• Administrator

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lexicon,

I'm so sorry you're feeling so horrible.

I think the only thing left for you to do is to try Alto's advice.

I hope you feel better very soon.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Thank you Alto, thank you basildev ..

I feel a little nervous, but I need to try ..

Who knows, maybe I will be lucky. My concern is my blood pressure going up ..

I appreciate your support ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.