Altostrata

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Erell

Hello

Quick note To tell that oral solution is out of stock in France too. 

All I can advise for dear survivors is To try To call all drugstores in their area : it worked for me this morning as I found my med for another month.

About January 2020 : In France we don't have a timeframe, I Will let you know when this out of stock Will end.

Best wishes

goggins
Hi guys.

I'm going through a journey of tapering off paroxetine. My initial dose was 20mg that I've been on for years.

Now at 11mg and just went through some tough times trying to get down to 10mg. Couldn't bear the symptoms so I'm resuming to 11mg for a while.

I'm doing liquid paroxetine.
Because it was so hard to taper off 1mg, I think it's time to start tapering off by smaller amounts.

The problem is that the dispenser of the little bottles does only 1mg/droplet, so I need another way to dose. The concentration is 33mg/mL, which means 1mg/30.3uL.
Doing the math, my current dose of 11mg means I'm at 333.33uL.

My plan is to buy some 100uL precision syringe. With a 1uL scale, I'll be able to taper off as low as 33ug at a time. That will be a much slower pace which I'm sure my nervous system will tolerate much better.

I was also thinking about doing my own solid tablets or capsules, mainly for convenience. That will allow me to do the dosing for a whole week or month in one sitting, and I won't have to be home every day by the time I need to take the pill. I can just carry the pill around with me and take it wherever I'm at.

So that leads me to my actual questions:
  • what's the best filler that I can use for the solid tablet or capsule? I mean, I want to dispense the liquid paroxetine dose into the tablet or capsule, but I'm not sure which solid substance or powder to use. It definitely needs to be something neutral that will not react with the paroxetine. I read about some herbal fillers such as Cayenne, Ginger or Turmeric. I'd love to hear thoughts on those, as well as any other suggestions.
  • what are some good suppliers that I could get 100uL precision syringes? I'll have them shipped to Germany.
  • any thoughts about my approach? am I doing something wrong?

brassmonkey

@goggins  Very interesting questions.  I have some ideas and comments but need some more information first. What is the total volume of liquid you wish to use per dose?

Altostrata

You can increase the dilution by adding water. This will enable you to accurately measure small amounts. What size is your oral syringe, what is the smallest amount between ticks? (You usually can get 1mL or 0.5mL oral syringes from a pharmacist or veterinarian.)

@brassmonkey will explain.

goggins

hey @brassmonkey and @Altostrata, thanks for replying

I also considered diluting in water, this can be an easy way to achieve similar results without going for a high grade precision syringe

the problem with this approach is that the liquid volume could become restrictive to do the tablets or capsules, which is my main goal

I've been looking into some syringes with 100uL volume. They have a scale of 1uL, which allows for great precision.

For example this one: https://www.hamiltoncompany.com/laboratory-products/syringes/80630

@brassmonkey my current dose is 333uL.

What I'm really curious about is which material to use for filling the capsules. I mean, I need the solid part, I can't just inject the liquid into empty gelatine capsules. And it needs to be something I'll know for sure won't interact with the paroxetine chemically.

Altostrata
1 hour ago, goggins said:

the problem with this approach is that the liquid volume could become restrictive to do the tablets or capsules, which is my main goal

Please explain. Are you putting liquid in capsules? Why?

goggins

I don't want to do the dosing every day.

I can become cumbersome and error-prone.

I want to do a whole batch in one sitting, meant to last for at least a week or more.

That's why I'm speculating around capsules and trying to find out what to use for the solid part.

But it just occurred to me to use blotting paper, in the same fashion LSD is dispensed. Not that I'm advocating LSD or anything (much on the contrary). I just mean it as a reference of how small liquid doses are dispensed on large batches.

Altostrata

Sorry, we're fans of Keep It Simple. Please let us know what you find out.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy