SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Holy basil or tulsi (Ocimum sanctum)

Altostrata

• Administrator

Holy basil is an herb used in Ayurvedic medicine that is supposed to reduce cortisol and inflammation as well as other health benefits.

I've used it when I was very hypersensitive and found it effective for relaxation and sleep -- for about 3 days in a row. Then the effect wore off. (The kind I used was New Chapter Super Critical Holy Basil capsules.)

Holy basil might be a good natural remedy to put into rotation for those sleepless nights.

Dr. Andrew Weil: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA346157/holy-basil-to-combat-stress.html

Pharmacogn Rev. 2010 Jan-Jun; 4(7): 95–105.

doi: 10.4103/0973-7847.65323

PMCID: PMC3249909

Ocimum sanctum Linn. A reservoir plant for therapeutic applications: An overview

Priyabrata Pattanayak,* Pritishova Behera, Debajyoti Das,1 and Sangram K. Panda

From paper at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3249909/

Ghosap et al. unravel the possible mechanism[17] of glucose-lowering activity of O. sanctum L. in male mice. The study suggested that O. sanctum L. decreases the serum concentration of both cortisol and glucose and also exhibited antiperoxidative effect. Therefore O. sanctum L. may potentially regulate corticosteroid- induced diabetic mellitus.

http://www.drugs.com/npp/holy-basil.html

Holy Basil Uses and Pharmacology

Despite a long traditional use of holy basil for medical conditions, clinical trials are lacking. Many effects are attributed to antioxidant action of the extracts and individual chemical constituents.

CNS effects

Experiments in rats have demonstrated a protective effect of holy basil extracts against noise stress. Noise-induced increases in circulating corticosterone, dopamine, and serotonin levels were prevented with holy basil extract pretreatment, and other adaptogenic effects on biochemical changes in acetylcholine, acetycholinesterase, and creatine kinase were observed.

Analgesic and anticonvulsant actions have been described in animals, as well as attenuation of the effects of cerebrovascular insufficiency, and induced axonal degeneration and memory deficits.

According to http://www.rxlist.com/holy_basil-page3/supplements.htm#Interactions

Are there any interactions with medications?

Medications that slow blood clotting (Anticoagulant / Antiplatelet drugs)

Interaction Rating: Moderate Be cautious with this combination.

Talk with your health provider.

Holy basil might slow blood clotting. Taking holy basil along with medications that also slow clotting might increase the chances of bruising and bleeding. But there isn't enough information to know if this is a big concern.

Some medications that slow blood clotting include include aspirin, clopidogrel (Plavix), dalteparin (Fragmin), enoxaparin (Lovenox), heparin, ticlopidine (Ticlid), warfarin (Coumadin), and others.

Pentobarbital

Interaction Rating: Moderate Be cautious with this combination.

Talk with your health provider.

Pentobarbital causes drowsiness. There is some concern that taking holy basil seed oil with pentobarbital might cause too much drowsiness. But there isn't enough information to know if this is a big concern.

Has anyone else tried holy basil?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Alto, I will put it on the list.

Nope, haven't tried it yet.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Tulsi tea is good! Tea may have milder effects than a supplement. I can't say that I've noticed any particular effects, good or bad. It was recommended to me as something that might help withdrawal symptoms. I continued to drink it because I like it, and I doubt that it's harmful.

• Moderator Emeritus

Holy Basil is often used in Thai Food. Another excuse to eat more Thai food.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

I definitely have a paradoxical reaction to holy basil and other herbs in that family (like catnip)... I get terribly agitated and restless when I take them. The body sure is a puzzle!

2003-2010 up and down 10-40mg celexa for anxiety
2/2011 10mg
8/2011 5mg for 3 wks, then stopped completely.
middle of night waking after apx 1-2 hours of sleep (nightly), panic/jitteriness after waking
11/11 back on 30mg celexa, ambien/many supplements-insomnia/panic.
2/12 30mg celexa, many supplements (Magnesium eliminated morning tight chest/jitteriness). Off ambien!
7/12 20mg
8/12 15 mg(sleep improving,mood pos)
12/12 2.3 mg got liquid celexa!
1/13 2.1 mg
3/13 1.2 mg
4/13 down to .6 too quickly- cortisol spikes, middle of night waking, night sweats...
4/13 held at .6 for 3 weeks so far. Off most supplements as well. Withdrawal depression almost gone!

7/13 OFF OF CELEXA!!!

it's very very potent and helped me get to a better place...and then quickly went seriously SOUTH...

for those with a lot of sensitivities beware...that said I recommend it all the time because it's clearly a very supporting herb for most people.

start slowly...that's the only thing I suggest

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• 1 year later...

It can help with sleep.. but can be hard on the stomach for some people...

Citalopram 15mg Feb 2009 to Feb 2013 stopped cold turkey... no withdrawal till july.. Hell on earth

Citalopram 5mg July for two weeks ... Living Hell

venlafaxin 37mg august two weeks even worst Hell

Zoloft november 2013 till Jan 2014 Hell

mirtazapine Feb for 6 weeks.. fatigue

Over the next six month tried nearly very antidepressant could not tolerate anything

tried fish oil, 5htp , nearly every herb, you name it I bought it.. system could not take anything..

Oct 2014 to November 2014 trazodone.. ooo nooo !!!

i imagine melatonin 10mg is more effective than holy basil.

MOD NOTE:  From the SA topic Melatonin:

On 4/7/2011 at 11:26 AM, Altostrata said:

Large doses of melatonin do NOT aid sleep -- they might cause your oversensitive brain to wake up, instead. I found when I took more than 2mg of melatonin, I was weepy in the morning. If you get this or a paradoxical reaction (waking) or are dopey in the morning, it's a sign you're taking too much.

Edited by ChessieCat
add mod note

2000 put on amisulpride for psychosis

got fatter

2007 put on prozac

loss of libido

flat emotions

got obese

2014 offered testosterone to counter side effects of amisulpride

still obese

2015 abruptly came off testosterone AND prozac

still on anti-psychotic

About melatonin: (from this source)

Appropriate Melatonin Dosage

Chances are good that you have seen melatonin in health food stores or in an advertisement or article. No other hormone is available in the United States without a prescription. Because melatonin is contained naturally in some foods, the U.S. Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 allows it to be sold as a dietary supplement (e.g., vitamins and minerals). These do not need to be approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or controlled in the same way as drugs.

Because it is not categorized as a drug, synthetic melatonin is made in factories that are not regulated by the FDA. Listed doses may not be controlled or accurate, meaning the amount of melatonin in a pill you take may not be the amount listed on the package. Most commercial products are offered at dosages that cause melatonin levels in the blood to rise to much higher levels than are naturally produced in the body. Taking a typical dose (1 to 3 mg) may elevate your blood melatonin levels to 1 to 20 times normal. 

For melatonin to be helpful, the correct dosage, method and time of day it is taken must be appropriate to the sleep problem. Taking it at the "wrong" time of day may reset your biological clock in an undesirable direction. How much to take, when to take it, and melatonin's effectiveness, if any, for particular sleep disorders is only beginning to be understood.

Just because it is a 'supplement' does not mean your body cannot have a very bad reaction to it.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Great post CW

I wish I could spam the MIA comments with your quote because so many of those posters think that if something isn't a psych med, it is harmless.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

Regarding melatonin, the sleep doc I saw who thought using it would help delay my body clock prescribed way more than the recommended starting dose.   And this guy was very highly regarded.

CS,

There is (I think) a mindset that goes something along the lines that 'supplements aren't harmful' and they can be better than what your doc can prescribe (and cheaper too!). And many other arguments that are often used by the 'orthomolecular' people and other practitioners. In your case and with all of the problems you are having, if you were casually reading something about the 'wonders' of melatonin, wouldn't you be tempted to try it? And you'd be completely shocked and upset if it ruined your sleep for months or years afterwards. I would hazard a guess you'd not be likely to attribute the problem to melatonin use unless you specifically sought out and read ALL contrary pieces of info on it.

I will admit to kind of 'cherry picking' that particular quote, I found it while I was looking for the recommended dose of melatonin because I thought maybe 10 mg was way too high and it seems I was right. But I never remembered reading that it could negatively affect your sleep! And the other thing:

I recently read an article about the FDA making some supplement sellers take stuff off their shelves because what was in the pills was not what it said it was. I was horrified! Some had ground up houseplants (dracena) and some had no evidence of ANY plant DNA at all!. What if you had been taking a supp, it was bogus and then after the recall the same supplement now had the real deal in it? Something finally pharmacologically active? I shudder to think if I healthy person had this happen to them let alone some person in the throes of wd searching for 'relief'. I'll have to search for the link and post it....

Here it is and it is old (relatively) news but very good to know. It can't be just in New York either....

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/new-york-attorney-general-targets-supplements-at-major-retailers/

and here is the 'cease and desist' stuff:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/02/02/health/herbal_supplement_letters.html?_r=0

How many people would be negatively impacted when they finally started taking a St John's Wort supplement that actually had SJW in it? Would they have any idea why they were crawling the walls instead of getting a mild placebo effect?

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

And (I know I could add this to the above but I want this to be a separate post) this is never taken into consideration:

Studies are proposed but someone has to pay for them. The drug companies do a lot of this and for a specific reason: they stand to make big bucks if they can develop something they can sell to docs and patients whether or not it really does much good (come on, we know this happens and still will!) or has negative side effects. No one is going to fund a study on the effects of melatonin because it cannot be patented and sold as a 'drug'. So a lot of what you may read about it's benefits are the people who bottle and label their own line of supplements and base their claims on glowing reports of people who 'say' it works (even if it contains rice powder and houseplants?). There's where they make the money. But they have to keep this side of the line: they can't sell it in a way that is 'prescriptive'.

By the way, CS. Is this true? I thought the MIA people were better informed than this:

I wish I could spam the MIA comments with your quote because so many of those posters think that if something isn't a psych med, it is harmless.

That is not very well informed....

Actually CW, because of my experience in learning how taking psych meds can trigger adverse reactions, that ability has transferred over to supplements.  If something strange occurs with my body and I recently started a new supplement, it automatically gets eliminated and usually that solves the problem.

Regarding melatonin, ironically, a relative who is usually anti supplements, felt that melatonin was harmless.  I had a very frustrating time trying to convince this person why he was wrong.

The issues with the fake supplements does irk me even though I understand the concerns.   I wish everyone, including the FDA, got as upset about drugs that have no business being on the market and are probably alot more deadly than than these items.

The FDA can't fight the supplement purveyor lobbyists. Wherever there is money, that is where the power is to sway. Cheating in the world is rampant. (Remember the poor innocent pets and the pet food scandal?) Makes my heart hurt when I read of these schemes.

I recently read an article in the New Yorker (I think) about generic drug manufacturing in India. Poor quality, demonstrated out and out fraud and lying, falsifying information. I don't want to ever have to rely on drugs anymore (but there are times I don't want to live anymore because I feel so bad too). Far better to have been born a plant maybe?

• 8 months later...

Well I fell for all the hype on a certain alternate health forum and ordered some Holy Basil. It wasn't overly expensive so I guess it can't hurt trying it. Sometimes with me it is the placebo effect, just thinking something will work usually causes a positive outcome. I could be swallowing sugar pills and still convince myself that they cure anxiety! My husband always says that I am a salesperson's dream customer!

• 9 months later...

I started Holy Basil (Standardized for 2% ursolic acid) about 1 1/2 months ago. In my past experience with herbal supplements, most take a good month or more before feeling effectiveness.

It did take a little over a month for me. I also happened to hit a "window" right around then.

I would say about a week ago I began a wave of symptoms such as increased anxiety, obsessive thinking and adhd, but I've noticed it's more manageable.

I am taking it twice a day.

I am going to continue taking it and give an update to anyone interested.

(I am entering 6 months Lexapro free on August 1st)

I was on Lexapro 10mg, once a day for about 8 yrs combined with Abilify 2mg, once per day and Klonopin ,25-.50mg up to 4 times a day. Prior to that multiple trials of various SSRIs and low doses of unsuccessful various mood stabilizers in anticonvulsant category with the same dose of Klonopin for a total of over 16 yrs.[/font][/size]Withdrawal from Abilify around Aug. 2015 and slow taper of Lexapro began late Jan. 2016. As of January 2017 I am 11 months full withdrawal from Lexapro and was .25mg of Klonopin at night.(went to .25 klonopin at night only somewhere in October)<p>**Update with my Klonopin taper. I was on .25mg at night and .25mg in AM with varying doses of .125mg during day, maybe once or twice on as needed basis. Starting in early September 2016 reduction of .125mg day dose was decreased to only .25mg AM. Over 2-3 weeks was down to .125mg AM for about 3-4 weeks. As of sometime in October down to only .25mg at night. As of 1/7/17 I am updosed to an additional .25mg at night, for a total of .5mg. As of June 23, 2017 I am on a liquid tapered dose of klonopin. Current dose 4.1ml as of February 21, 2018**

• 5 years later...

Hello all, 

Interesting info on tulsi. I’ve taken it and had stomach issues at first, but stuck with it and they disappeared. I had significant improvements in mood while taking it. I am curious… isn’t there a danger of becoming dependent on a supplement and then dealing with wd the same way we do with medications? Sometimes I find a supplement that works well, but I become terrified that I’m going to become dependent so I stop using it. Any insights here would be appreciated! 

• On meds since 2004. Previous medications: Adderall, Ritalin XR, Concerta, Adderall XR, Prozac, Effexor, Lexapro, Abilify.
  • March 2020 tapered off 100mg Zoloft by taking 50 mg every other day, then every 2nd day, then every 3rd day. March 2020 tapered Trazodone from 50mg to 25mg. April 2020 quit Vyvanse cold turkey
  • Stopped Zoloft completely by May of 2020
  • May 22, 2020 withdrawal nightmare set in; OCD symptoms
  • Mid July 2020 reinstated 12.5mg Zoloft
  • August 2020 began TMS treatments and reinstated Trazodone 100mg
  • September 2020 reduced Trazodone down to 50-75mg 
  • Between September- November 2020 tried twice unsuccessfully to quit Zoloft cold turkey
  • 11/12/20- 12.5mg Zoloft, 75mg Trazodone
  • 5/30/21- 5mg Zoloft, 15mg Trazodone
  • 7/2/21- 3mg Zoloft, 0mg Trazodone (both done with taper) 
  • 1/2/22- .05mg Zoloft (with taper over last 6 months)
  • 5/16/22- jumped off from .019mg (with taper over last 5 months)- med free!
  • December 2020- present - Neurofeedback 

12 minutes ago, lfran said:

Hello all, 

Interesting info on tulsi. I’ve taken it and had stomach issues at first, but stuck with it and they disappeared. I had significant improvements in mood while taking it. I am curious… isn’t there a danger of becoming dependent on a supplement and then dealing with wd the same way we do with medications? Sometimes I find a supplement that works well, but I become terrified that I’m going to become dependent so I stop using it. Any insights here would be appreciated! 

Yes, there are some supplements that are certainly not as benign as they are purported to be. I think the general public has a view that it is just a supplement or it is "natural" therefore your body cannot become dependent like pharmaceuticals.

Given that in our hypersensitive state I thinks the risks for this only increase. That is why policy here is to recommend adding supplements and medications as sparingly as possible as there is risk associated with them. And if you do to do it one at a time and slowly.

Personal experience, my body became dependent on Vitamin D during withdrawal and I had significant side effects taking a stronger dose (equal to up dosing my SSRI!) and had withdrawal effects when stopping. Fortunately those were not quite as intense as my medication withdrawal, so I was able to taper off more quickly than the Paxil.

40 yo Male. Started Paxil about 15 years ago. 10 mg (pill weight .125 - .129 g). 5 yrs wanted less side effects, doctor took me off Paxil over couple week period and put me on Wellbutrin. Not good. Went back on Paxil. Relieved my symptoms, but didn't work as well and more side effects. Severe reaction between Paxil and Zomig Summer of 2012. Head was affected during warmer days (cloudiness, confusion, pressure). Began 10% withdrawal 10/24/12.

Withdrawel helped many symptoms, but also added side effects: nausea, dizziness, tiredness. Hyper-anxiety started January 2014.

Went through a 2 year period of de-realization (2016-2018).  Rarely any windows.  
Current dose: 0.00 as of 4/10/21.  Made a lot of progress in my withdrawal symptoms the last 2 years of my taper.  I think doing a liquid taper helped stabilize things on the lower doses.  A lot of my symptoms have reduced significantly.  Hoping for even more improvement now that I am off.
My thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8909-rusty1-paxil-withdrawal-help-and-advice-welcome/#entry150222

Thanks for your quick reply, Rusty. Since holy basil gave me so much relief, what’s your opinion on only taking it a few days a week, or as needed, as opposed to every day? 

• On meds since 2004. Previous medications: Adderall, Ritalin XR, Concerta, Adderall XR, Prozac, Effexor, Lexapro, Abilify.
  • March 2020 tapered off 100mg Zoloft by taking 50 mg every other day, then every 2nd day, then every 3rd day. March 2020 tapered Trazodone from 50mg to 25mg. April 2020 quit Vyvanse cold turkey
  • Stopped Zoloft completely by May of 2020
  • May 22, 2020 withdrawal nightmare set in; OCD symptoms
  • Mid July 2020 reinstated 12.5mg Zoloft
  • August 2020 began TMS treatments and reinstated Trazodone 100mg
  • September 2020 reduced Trazodone down to 50-75mg 
  • Between September- November 2020 tried twice unsuccessfully to quit Zoloft cold turkey
  • 11/12/20- 12.5mg Zoloft, 75mg Trazodone
  • 5/30/21- 5mg Zoloft, 15mg Trazodone
  • 7/2/21- 3mg Zoloft, 0mg Trazodone (both done with taper) 
  • 1/2/22- .05mg Zoloft (with taper over last 6 months)
  • 5/16/22- jumped off from .019mg (with taper over last 5 months)- med free!
  • December 2020- present - Neurofeedback 

On 8/22/2021 at 11:16 AM, lfran said:

Thanks for your quick reply, Rusty. Since holy basil gave me so much relief, what’s your opinion on only taking it a few days a week, or as needed, as opposed to every day? 

I've taken it as needed, a couple of times a week to every other day per week for years now and haven't noticed any dependence when stopping for a week or so

1997-2019 Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, Effexor, Serzone, Wellbutrin, Amitryptiline, Mirtazapine, Lexapro (mostly, 10-20mg)

Jan 16-Feb 2019 Fast tapered Lexapro after spontaneous kundalini syndrome 

Feb-Jul Used various herbs to deal with severe anxiety (bacopa, gotu kola)

Sept 2019 Developed histamine intolerance and daily panic

Currently taking high DHA fish oil, magnesium.  Occasionally l-ornithine, l-lysine, l-glycine, melatonin for sleep.  Dayvigo for sleep, and l-thp or seroquel (haven't settled on dose) for sleep when in sleep deprivation crisis

On 8/22/2021 at 9:16 AM, lfran said:

I have no knowledge of that supplement so I cannot give you direct response. Looks like someone else responded as well.

I did get relief in helping sleep from CBD tincture and did what you said with holy basil. I took it sparingly, never more than a couple days in a row and never experienced any dependence.

I think the trick is to just be careful and go slow. Sounds like you are already being cautious and have a good grasp on what to watch for.

40 yo Male. Started Paxil about 15 years ago. 10 mg (pill weight .125 - .129 g). 5 yrs wanted less side effects, doctor took me off Paxil over couple week period and put me on Wellbutrin. Not good. Went back on Paxil. Relieved my symptoms, but didn't work as well and more side effects. Severe reaction between Paxil and Zomig Summer of 2012. Head was affected during warmer days (cloudiness, confusion, pressure). Began 10% withdrawal 10/24/12.

Withdrawel helped many symptoms, but also added side effects: nausea, dizziness, tiredness. Hyper-anxiety started January 2014.

Went through a 2 year period of de-realization (2016-2018).  Rarely any windows.  
Current dose: 0.00 as of 4/10/21.  Made a lot of progress in my withdrawal symptoms the last 2 years of my taper.  I think doing a liquid taper helped stabilize things on the lower doses.  A lot of my symptoms have reduced significantly.  Hoping for even more improvement now that I am off.
My thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8909-rusty1-paxil-withdrawal-help-and-advice-welcome/#entry150222

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy