SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Abir - 2 months after antidepressants withdrawal

abir

Hi,

i stopped zoloft after 17 years - i was ok for the first 2 months then i started having withdrawal symptoms. It has been 3 months now and i am not feeling any better. Did you experience the same thing, i.e. not having symptoms until 2 months later?

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• abir

• lexicon

• Altostrata

• basildev

Top Posters In This Topic

This didn't happen to me but happened to a friend, she never got symptoms until 3 months off so it's not unheard of. Hope you feel better soon.

A 20 year history of always a combo of 4 psych drugs sometimes more.  At last I had this awakening thought "These drugs aren't doing me any good."  I listened and at that point made the decision to taper off the last drug cocktail I was on of Celexa, Lamictal, Klonopin and Seroquel which I did in one year.  (Shock and awe.) Drug free May 6/09.  Sure is a slow healing process.

"Courage is not the towering oak that sees storms come and go;  it is the fragile blossom that opens in the snow."  Alice Mackenzie Swaim 

Not a doctor ... blah, blah, blah.  Not giving medical advise ... blah, blah, blah

Abir, Welcome to this site. I feel strange welcoming you, since I just got here two days ago. But I'm betting we both came to the right place.

More to the point, the first time I tapered off of Effexor (in two months) I was absolutely fine until exactly 2 months to the day after stopping. I was looking for something in my closet when I suddenly felt as though a large building had fallen on me. No kidding, just exactly like that. I reached for my prescription and immediately took one of the 75 mg capsules. I started to feel good again within hours and was fine within 3-4 days. I was originally put on Effexor XR for anxiety and so I thought the massive panic attack was a return of the problem. Now I'm not so sure. That was in 2008. I've been tapering much more slowly this time starting in 2010 and I'm getting near the end of this second taper now (down to less than 1/4 mgs). I think the first taper failed for two reasons: one, I tapered too fast (2 months as capared to 2 1/2 years this time around), and two, I probably mistook the massive panic attack as proof of the return of my panic disorder when in reality it was more likely just the beginning of withdrawal from the Effexor. Withdrawal can be delayed even for months after stopping, I guess.

I'm at the end of my tapering, or anyway, it won't be more than 2-3 months more, so I'm thinking about what that post-Effexor period will be like. Worried about the 2 month mark, 4 months, 7, etc.. Will it involve as much suffering as the taper? Will it be worse? Still, in just the couple of days I've been on this site I've talk with several people who've gotten through this, who've already, then, begun to help me through this-who've had others help them through before I even knew this site existed. They'll help you too with compassion and information. Certainly more information than I've got at this point in the game. Just wait a little, and hoping you're feeling better.

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Abir,

welcome to the forum.

As this is your first post, I moved your post to the Introductions and Updates section.

You can come back to this topic whenever you want to post an update on how you're doing.

We're all very interested in how you're doing, by the way. What you're describing is very common. Many people feel fine months after quitting and then the withdrawal symptoms hit. It may not be too late to reinstate a small dose as a way of easing the symptoms a little.

One of our more knowledgeable people will be along shortly to guide you further, but for now tell me - what kind of symptoms are you having?

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

thank you all for your replies and encouragements...

the hardest symptom to deal with is the anxiety (i never had this before)- it wakes me up at 5 am and i can't go back to sleep (as i am falling asleep, my body stops breathing and it wakes me up)... very weak, very pale, can't stand up straight, lightheadedness, no appetite (i have to fore myself to eat), urinary frequency got much worse, but like as i said the worse is the anxiety (tightness in chest, palpitation, that feeling in my stomach) and i am not even thinking about anything at all... there is nothing i can do to distract myself from it... it gets better after 3 pm.. don't know if these symptoms will go away on their own - it has been 2 months - not getting better ... don't know if i should go back on the antidepressants since i really believe that i should not have been put on them in the first place (i had chronic fatigue after a viral illness and was misdiagnosed with depression)... thank you all for the info

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:

Hi Abir, You know how the Internet is...not like a real conversation. I just wrote a piece on Alex's thread about being jerked awake...definitely a withdrawal symptom. Otherwise, waking up to not breathing can be a symptom of sleep apnea. Welcome! Meimeiquest

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Administrator

Welcome, Abir.

It's possible that taking a little Zoloft might alleviate the withdrawal symptoms, like Benz's experience with Effexor.

To be on the safe side, we suggest reinstating a partial dose, in case you've become sensitized to it.

What dosage of Zoloft were you on?

To take a partial dose, Zoloft comes in a liquid, or you can make a liquid with water, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

thanks again everyone for your welcome and your advice..

i was on zoloft 100mg for 2 years before stopping the meds (before that i was switching from one antidepressant to another trying to find something that would help - you know, they start you on a low dose and gradually increment it until reach the max - and then switch to a different one)..

i took 50 mg for one month and then 25 for another month and i think then i took 25mg every other day for a week and then stopped... i wish i had researched antidepressants withdrawal before i did that, i would have done much slower (but my psychiatrist told me that i should not have any issues at all)..(thank you so much for this site....)...

Meimeiquest, i will check your comment in the other thread - for sure it is not sleep apnea, it is the withdrawal...

Altostrata, what do you mean by becoming sensitized to it, you mean it will have the opposite effect? i am trying hard not to go back on that medication, any ideas if this will resolve by itself and on how long this might take, i realize that everyone is different, i just would like to know if it happened with someone? thanks..

reinstating AD:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi abir and welcome! I'm so sorry the withdrawal came on you after being off for a couple of months. That has to be such a disappointment when it happens that way.

I'm sure you thought everything was going to be okay and then, WHAM! It's impossible to even guess how long the symptoms will last. Some people suffer for several years and some only months, then the very fortunate ones that feel better in days or a few weeks.

I hope you are one of the fortunate. If I were you I wouldn't want to take that chance. I would, at least try Alto's suggestion and make a liquid, reinstate a very small amount and hope for stability sooner.

Of course, only you can decide the course that is best for you. I hope you feel well very soon!

Would you be able to add your history as follows:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Thanks....glad you joined us!

yes, it is the worst... i was feeling better than usual in the first month after stopping the medication... i was able to cry again..

reinstating AD:

• Moderator Emeritus

Getting sensitized means that a much smaller dose may have the same effect as the 25 mg. you were on. It can also mean that even a small dose will make you feel worse. At three months out reinstatement is iffy, but some people find it helps a great deal to take a small amount of the AD, get stabilized, and then taper off slowly.

As for your original question, no, it isn't the least bit unusual for withdrawal to hit several months after going cold turkey off an antidepressant. Effexor is especially bad this way - I remember at least one person on this forum going into withdrawal after being off Effexor five months. I tapered off of Lexapro far too quickly ending in mid-December of 2011. The worst of my withdrawal didn't hit until a month later, and it got even worse going into February.

No one knows how long withdrawal will last, but we do know that it is more painful and prolonged for those who just stop the drug without tapering off. The drugs change the way the brain works into an abnormal state, and stopping the drug cold removes this support like yanking a crutch away from a cripple. BOOM! Down she goes! Tapering provides support while the brain works on getting back to normal.

In any event, welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of solid information and friendly, gentle support here. You might want to look through the information in 'Symptoms and self care' for some ideas on how to feel better.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

how long on average do people feel a difference (good or bad) after reinstatement ?

thanks

reinstating AD:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi abir,

From what I understand, it takes about four or five days for the medicine to reach a steady level in the bloodstream. I suppose you would be able to tell at that time if its going to help or hurt. I hope I'm giving you the information you are looking for.

Wishing you well!

thank you all for the info and the good wishes..

i just talked to my doctor and i am going back on zoloft 25mg starting tonight... i am really hoping that it will help...

reinstating AD:

• Administrator

Please let us know how you do.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I will..

one concern though because i have been off the drugs since end of october 2012.. i am worried that the symptoms i am currently having (anxiety, nausea, rapid heart rate..etc) resemble serotonin syndrome... i am worried that this means that my brain overcompensated when repopulating the serotonin receptors and taking SSRIs will make this worse...

reinstating AD:

so angry with my brain, i forgot to ask my doctor about partial dosing (instead of taking the whole 25mg) as you describe in the other thread... but that would be the safest thing todo...

reinstating AD:

• Administrator

No, that isn't serotonin syndrome, those are withdrawal symptoms many of us have suffered.

• Moderator Emeritus

so angry with my brain, i forgot to ask my doctor about partial dosing (instead of taking the whole 25mg) as you describe in the other thread... but that would be the safest thing todo...

You could make one of your 25 mg. tablets into a liquid per the directions linked above in Alto's post #7 and take half or a quarter of it to start. Then try the partial dose for a week or so and decide what to do next from there.

Most doctors don't know shucks about withdrawal syndrome, so don't beat up on yourself for forgetting to ask. The answer might have been less than helpful.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

thank you, you're right...

i ended up taking the whole 25 mg.. i did not wake up with anxiety but still woke up at 2am from troubles with breathing... and i could not go back to sleep from it... for 7 hours i was lying in bed concentrating all my effort on breathing (i had this last week too but not nearly as bad as last night)... but i was happy that i did not have the anxiety... around 10 am i opened up the blinds to let the light in my room and my breathing felt better... i am still free from that horrible anxiety but started to feel a little bit anxious in the afternoon because it is hard to stop my brain from thinking that i am not safe yet, the meds can still give me the opposite effect and ... me not having anxiety this morning does not necessarily means that the meds are helping - it can be a coincidence...

in summary, i am far from being back to how i was before i stopped the meds but i am glad that i did not that horrible anxiety

reinstating AD:

about being jerked awake, i used to get that long before i started tapering and stopped the meds... and it seemed to have disappeared since i stopped... what i was experiencing last week before i re-instated AD, was shallow breathing and actually stopping breathing as i was falling asleep... and now after my first dose back on zoloft, it seems that i am experiencing the same thing but much more pronounced this time... i hope my next dose of zoloft won't make it even worse.. did anyone experience these breathing issues (even when not having anxiety) as part of withdrawal symptoms or after re-instating the drug?...

reinstating AD:

Meimeiquest, how do i find alex's thread where you commented

reinstating AD:

benz, hopefully you won't have bad withdrawal symptoms, you did the tapering right... i did not... i went from 100mg to 0 in 2.5 months and i was on antidepressants for more than 17 years.. hopefully your experience will be much more pleasant than mine...

reinstating AD:

HI abir, welcome...I have had the same experiance several xs, feeling good for a couple months and then BAM right back at me, I always assumed it was my original anxiety back never knowing anything about w/d

I am in the process of reinstating on zoloft. I have been on 50mgs for 6 weeks and I have had a small improvement but not at all where I was before w/d

everyone on here is great and have given me so much encouragment & knowledge.

just keep posting and you will get the answers your looking for. Good luck and God Bless

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft
skipped doses every other day for a year and started having anxiety again in March 2012
back on at 50mgs Dec 2013
started taper from benzos April 2014 per Heather Ashton method (c/o from kpin to diazepam)
March 2015 started 1.25mg lorazepam
Tapered off Zoloft in May off in 4 weeks...5 weeks later crashing AGAIN. Dr wanted to start Gabapentin tried it 7 days
Symptoms :burning eyes, anxiety, pounding heart, dizzy, strange head feeling, internal shaking, Overall UNWELL
Taking lorazepam 1.25mg daily

it seems that zoloft made it much worse... i did not sleep last night either - i slept for half an hour and woke at 11:15 - since then everytime my body relaxes and i am about to fall asleep, either my i stop breathing and this wakes me up with a racing heart or a limb would jump and wake me up... i am not going to take zoloft tonight but i don't know if this is going to make a difference and idnon't know how i am going to go throughanother sleepless night - when i am so sleepy and my eyes and body won't to sleep but can't... last night i tried to sit up and watch tv so i could escape the stop breathing/jumping cycle but was too sleepy and tonight will be worse

reinstating AD:

• Administrator

That indicates you're sensitized to Zoloft, and that dosage is too high.

Try taking half as much.

should i skip it altogether tonight so i could get some sleep - i can't sleep during the day either - which is very weird since i have not slept much the last couple of nights

reinstating AD:

• Administrator

That is typical of overstimulation.

I would take half the 25mg, or 12.5mg.

you're right - i should not go from 25 to 0, my brain has enough instability to deal with...thank you so much....

reinstating AD:

i did the 12.5 last night, slept for an hour than woke up with nausea that is the worse so far - it kept me awake but since i only had nausea it was better than the 2 nights before... at 5 am nausea was gone but before i got a chance to go back to sleep, the symptoms from the night before came back (the night before i had those symptoms since 11:15pm)...

feeling something in my chest, don't know how to describe it, a little tightness but different from anxiety, the effort breathing, and as soon as I relax engouh I start dreaming even though i am still awake and still aware of my effort to take deep breaths and my effort to stop the dreams because they are annoying and because i am not asleep, and finally limbs jumping and waking me up up... is there a term for this group of feelings like for example anxiety has a bunch of physical symptoms that come with it??

reinstating AD:

• Administrator

It's going to take 4 days for your body to realize the dosage has been reduced.

Be patient, give it time.

i could not do it, i had to stop, i was not sleeping more than one hour at night and the rest of the night is pure torture... so i did not take the meds yesterday - i could not sleep from that burning sensation in chest, hand and legs that comes and go every 15 minutes... and at 5 when the burning went away, i could not fall asleep from twitching muscles.. did anyone experience these symptoms of tingling in arms and legs followed by burning sensation in chest, legs and arms?

reinstating AD:

• Administrator

Understandable, Abir. That dosage of Zoloft was too much for you.

sorry everyone, i am bombarding you with questions and probably repeating questions.. i don't know, i can't think, i feel totally lost and horrified, struggling with these symptoms and worried what new horrible symptoms i am going to get next... and i don't have anyone to talk to, except you guys, you know more about this stuff than anyone i know...

to make it easier on my brain, i am going to ask to please answer the following questions with:

a- withdrawal symptom

b- sensitivity to zoloft - dosage too high

c- both

d- none

questions: what are these symptom of

1- breathing issues, labored breathing at night

2- body stops breathing as i am falling asleep and waking me up

3- being jerked awake at night

4- bad burning sensations in chest, neck, arms and legs repeating every 20 minutes at night(i am suspecting the zoloft upset my stomach, and acid reflex is causing these symptoms even though it should not happen in legs and arms and eventhough zoloft never upset my stomach before!!!)

5- tingling in arms and legs...

thank you so much, i don't know how i would have been able to deal with all this without you....

reinstating AD:

sorry again, one more questions: what symptoms indicate that i am sensitized to Zoloft, and that dosage is too high??

reinstating AD:

• Administrator

Abir, any of those symptoms could be withdrawal symptoms and any could be from too much Zoloft.

The difference is: Which started when you took the 25mg Zoloft?

Those will gradually decrease as you're off the Zoloft.