Abir - 2 months after antidepressants withdrawal

abir

It is just that I am too exhausted... And so sleepy.. Not only I can't do anything during the day, I am so sleepy that it makes it so much harder to bear this constant anxiety...it is 7:30pm now and this anxiety is still here...I am sure it will still be here when I go to bed... If I can sleep at night I would get a break from the anxiety and it will be easier to bear it the next day...

It would have been a little easier if I can lie down and try to relax during the day but this seems to make the anxiety worse...

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• abir

• lexicon

• Altostrata

• basildev

Top Posters In This Topic

Abir, On recovery success stories, I was just reading the story of bbook ..

He is talking about some. essential oils that he says helped him, like joy and trauma among others ..

When you feel up to reading it, it is interesting ..The name of the essential oil company he lists ..

Young living oils ..I will now go check it out ..

Wishing that you will have a relaxed night, and be able to sleep soundly ..xx

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

I tried lavender last month..did not help..

But thank you for the suggestions..

I would be able to deal with not sleeping if I don't have to deal with the horrible anxiety too..I mean I am no stranger to long periods of exhaustion and lack of stamina, I get them all the time, been getting them for years.... I just need some strength to deal with this anxiety

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:

I am sorry Abir ..But I know what you are going through ..

I hope that maybe tonight may be a kind night ..keeping fingers crossed and praying ..xx

Hello,

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

Basildev, about waking up every hour: this is what has been happening while I am in a window... Those were my best sleep, like when I slept for 4 hours... Other nights I wake up 20 minutes or less after falling asleep...at the max 20 minutes...

Thank you Lexi and basildev, thank you for your advices... I appreciate them and I appreciate your help but I honestly don't think I can handle This anxiety for the rest of the night and tomorrow... I am too exhausted

reinstating AD:

• Moderator Emeritus

Abir,

how dark is your bedroom?

Have you considered using a sleep mask?

If possible, make your room as dark as possible. Even the slightest amount of morning light can trigger early morning cortisol.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Abir, may this find you in deep sleep ..

There is an interesting article written by Alto in Symptoms and Self -Care..

It is called " One theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome "

It explores Lamictol as being helpful for insomnia ..

Wishing you a good night's sleep ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Abir, hoping your night wasn't too bad. No, I have some melatonin in the cupboard but I never did try it, am passionate about leaving everything alone to heal as naturally as possible! Let me know if you give it a go. Xxxxx

Thank you basildev, yes I have been doing all That more than a month now... My bedroom is really dark but I also wear the sleeping mask starting at 3am

reinstating AD:

Thank you Lexi and fizz. I took melatonin last night about 0.5mg and I did sleep...I would sleep for an hour and wake up but go back to sleep in about 30 minutes... So it was good...

How are you two doing?

reinstating AD:

Still going! Exhausted, pains all over, blurry eyes and spaced out today, did do quite a bit at the weekend though! Oh, how many hours did you get on the melatonin? How did you feel today? I get impatient with this process, and you? Love. Xxxx

Aww Abir ..:) I am delighted for you, you got some rest ..:) How fabulous is that,? How are you feeling today ..,Are you feeling more relaxed and rested ..,? I hope so ..

My night was terrible. ..I was wired and could not sleep ..Woke up shaky, expecting my blood presesure to be elevated, but thank the Lord it was not ..

I pray that your day will continue to be stress free ..thinking of you ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

I think I slept 5 hours..I am still exhausted, brain still dead, no stamina, but less than so than I have been feeling this past month since reinstating... And, the anxiety is mild today ..also it comes and goes, not constant.. So basically I am able to bear the hours today...

Even if my brain is healed today I will be exhausted and brain dead for months so I am not worried about that... Even before tapering / stopping AD, it used to take me days to recover from lunch with friends so I expect it will take my body a while to recover from this... I just need my brain to heal first...

Sorry that you two are not feeling well today... But Lexi it is good that your BP did not climb... Maybe that is a good sign...

I wish us all a restful sleep tonight and a better day tomorrow

reinstating AD:

• Administrator

Abir, one thing that might help you a great deal is to learn to manage your anxiety and obsessing over your symptoms, and to resign yourself to gradual recovery. Mindful breathing meditation is very helpful for this. We have several topics on it in the Symptoms and Self-care forum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

"Resign yourself to gradual recovery", excellent phrase! Hope it helps you! Was just reading through and it caught my eye, applies to my situation aswell because I get so frustrated with the symptoms. Hugs. Xxxx

Thank you alto.. I did read some if those topics on this site.. But when I did my anxiety was so bad everything made it worse... I am going to revisit these topics when my anxiety is not so bad...maybe today after my walk... I am going outside for my 15 min walk...

reinstating AD:

Hello New Friends:

I am brand new to this site and already feel relieved that I now can interact with others who are also experiencing this Antidepressant Nightmare. I am going to try to do a very long taper off of 4-years of Prozac. I meet with a homeopathic doctor tommorow and my regular GP in a week. Hoping they'll work simultaneously with me. I want off!

I experienced withdrawals after about two-three weeks off that lasted about three months (I went Cold Turkey, not knowing ahead of time you needed to taper). Well, I'm back on the Prozac and am looking forward to finally tapering down to zero. I don't care how long it takes.

Sorry to hear you're having so much discomfort that long after quitting. From the many testimonies I've read thus far, it seems to be quite normal. YUCK!

Blessings to All,

Tim

10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac Jan. 2009-Nov. 2012

Went COLD TURKEY Nov. 2012-March 2013

.05-1 mg daily Lorazepam March 2013-April 2013

After approximately 21 days, stopped COLD TURKEY

Doctor put me on 20 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 4/25/13

I decided to jump down to 10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 5/08/13

Will stay here for a few months, then taper to ZERO!!

I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience and research and is only my perspective

Welcome Tim..

Can I ask you a question.. You said your withdrawal symptoms went away after 3 months...you mean you recovered from them or you had to reinstate to get relief from them?

I had to reinstate after 5 months...

reinstating AD:

Abir, how did the day go, and how are you feeling ..? Are you less tired getting some sleep last night?

I sure hope so ..

Will you be taking the melatonin again tonight?

My day has been pitiful ..Breathing problems, and Oooh my head ..:( It feels like it is enveloped in tingles and numbness, and soooo dizzy ..:(

Thinking of you, and wishing another sleepy night ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Lexi, I just wrote in your thread!.. My day was good... After 1pm the anxiety almost completely went away... I went for a 15 min walk ... The rest of the day was resting (might as well since my body is allowing me to do it)...

Sorry you had such a bad day... Let's hope and pray that tonight you will be able to sleep all night, so you could get some of your strength back...

I don't know if I am going to take melatonin tonight... Everyone in my family wants me to take it again tonight... But I am worried if I keep taking it, my unstable brain will find a way to cancel its effect... And I want to keep it as an option when I am really desperate for sleep.. I don't know what to do...

reinstating AD:

Welcome Tim..

Can I ask you a question.. You said your withdrawal symptoms went away after 3 months...you mean you recovered from them or you had to reinstate to get relief from them?

I had to reinstate after 5 months...

Thanks for your kind welcome. No, the Prozac withdrawal symptoms didn't go away at all. In fact, it was the withdrawal symptoms (from my abrupt discontinuation of Prozac) that brought me in to the Doctor after about three months of utter pain, et al. At that point he diagnosed the symptoms as being related to Diabetic Neuropathy. He didn't correctly diagnose that it was actually withdrawal symptoms. It was then that he added Lorazepam to my daily regimen. After taking those, plus the Prozac, for about three weeks, I decided to stop the Lorazepam - I was only supposed to take them in the short-term anyhow. I then went through the most agonizing few days of my life - contemplating suicide, etc.

So right now I'm dealing with withdrawing from the Lorazepam - THEN - I'll do a long taper from the Prozac. Hopefully, successfully.

-Tim

10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac Jan. 2009-Nov. 2012

Went COLD TURKEY Nov. 2012-March 2013

.05-1 mg daily Lorazepam March 2013-April 2013

After approximately 21 days, stopped COLD TURKEY

Doctor put me on 20 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 4/25/13

I decided to jump down to 10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 5/08/13

Will stay here for a few months, then taper to ZERO!!

I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience and research and is only my perspective

It is amazing how ignorant doctors are about the impact of these medications...

It is good that you found this site.. It has been a tremendous help for me....and it will be for you... I hope that your withdrawal symptoms improve quickly..

reinstating AD:

Abir, thinking of you ..how was your night, I hope you got some restful sleep ..And I hope you are feeling great this morning ..

Wishing you a peaceful day ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

hi lexi

i ended up taking melatonin (i researched it on this site and it seems we are supposed to take it daily not every once in a while)... it did not work - i take the sublingual one... 3 hours after taking it i was still awake... after that i fell asleep maybe 4 or 5 times (mostly after 4am) but only for about 20 minutes or even less at a time so... i don't think it did anything or maybe it did but not as well as yesterday... not sure if the quality of the strip was not good, i mean, the night before i took a strip (3mg) and cut it up into 6 pieces, took one piece that night and saved the rest for later... maybe the prolonged exposure to light while i was cutting it up damaged those pieces... i don't know... the night before it took less than 1.5 hours to fall asleep after i took it...

i will try it again tonight, i will take a fresh piece and discard the leftover from that strip... i wish i can sleep for a whole hour before i wake up, i find this is better for me than 3 or 4 periods of 20 minutes of sleep...

how are you today lexi.. we you able to sleep last night?

reinstating AD:

Abir, I am sorry that the melotonin did not help last night ..:( It is a good idea to try a new strip ..and please tell me where you ordered it from?

I am back to being unable to sleep, and get the anxiety, so bad ..

How is your anxiety? Is it better at night and during the day? I hope so ..

Tonight I see my Psyche doctor because I need an Ativan script ..I feel mad at him, and hope not to say anything contrary. ..

This morning am struggling with head and neuro issues ..cannot walk comfortably, plus this darn tingling beneath my skin. ..

And my head feels heavy and my cognitive ability is out the window ..

I hope you have a blessed and peaceful day Abir ..thinking of you ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

I got the melatonin from the nearest drug store... You can find it anywhere they sell supplements... I could not find anything with a smaller dose but hopefully you can...

The anxiety is very mild today which is great...

Good luck with your doctor today... Sorry you are still suffering with no break... Maybe this doctor cab help?

reinstating AD:

Abir, how are you? How are you feeling today, Did you sleep well?

I sure hope so, and wish that your day is peaceful ..

Thinking of you ..hugs

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Hi Lexi, yes I slept for more than 4.5 hours and for the first 3 hours I slept for a whole hour at a time before I woke up... And no anxiety today so far, minimal every now and then... Maybe the melatonin somehow is also helping with the anxiety too - I only started to wake up with a racing heart after 6 am.....the other good thing with the anxiety not being so bad, I am able to relax in bed from 9:30 pm till 9:30 am...

How was your appointment with the doctor? Was it helpful? How are feeling today? Better I hope?

reinstating AD:

This is awesome Abir ..:) Bravo ..:) I am so happy that you are getting some relief ..About time ..:)

Mine was a crisis day yesterday ..My head issues were causing my body to act with extreme weakness to the point I could not support myself ..Also I had weakness in my face and mouth, and was worried to talk ...I had difficulty when I tried to ..:( It lasted most of the day, into late night ..

Today I feel weak, and worry it it will come back ..

Abir, I am thinking of reinstating s small amount. ..Are you happy you did?

Do you feel that you were helped?

I worry reinstating because I am 3 months out, and maybe it is too late, and also because my BP has gotten erratic ..

I would be grateful with what your thoughts are ..

I get encouraged to do it, because you were out 3 months when you reinstated ..

Sending you thoughts of peace and wellness ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

I am still not sure if reinstating was good or not. That is why: before reinstating my ONLY problem was anxiety.. It was bad in march or that is what I thought at the time but I was able to sleep well until 6 am when the anxiety started......

Reinstating started my problem with not sleeping.. The first two weeks after reinstating, were horrible...the worse... I had breathing problems, recurrent hot flashes (every 20 minutes at night), nausea, nightmares as I am falling asleep, racing heart...etc that prevented me from sleeping..also I was really weak, hard to have a conversation, eat, walk or do anything...that period was a lot worse than before reinstating...

The next phase: Those symptoms got better ...but i was still not able to sleep and the anxiety was still there and hard to deal with.... I think this period too was harder than before reinstating..

Since this past week i get days free of anxiety ( at least after 1 pm) so maybe it is better than before reinstating (although I had anxiety free days before reinstating too) ...but my sleep is still very bad unless I take melatonin, and even then I still wake up after 1 hour of sleep and I stay in bed for 12 hours in order to get 5 hours of sleep...

Sorry I can't give you an easy answer...

1- i was worse after reinstating but who knows, maybe things were going to get worse anyways even if I did not reinstate...

2- now a month after reinstating my anxiety PROBABLY is better than before reinstating but again, maybe it is time for my anxiety to get better now even if I did not reinstate , since more than 6 months had passed already...

3- in terms of sleep: even now and with melatonin, my sleep is still really bad compared to before reinstating (it was normal then)

If you decide to reinstate, be sure to start at a very very low dose... And expect that things may get way worse before they get better..

What did the doctor say? Did he discuss reinstating and at what dose?

reinstating AD:

the melatonin is still working... i still take 0.5 mg and i am sleeping 5 hours (1 hour at a time which is good but hopefully i can sleep for longer soon)... it still takes me a while to go back to sleep but it is great that i don't wake up again after 20 minutes... and my anxiety seems to be a lot better too... it is very mild in the morning and at night, i just take deep and slow breaths, and this helps a lot (it does not help at all when the anxiety is bad so i understand if it does not help other people...)...

so i can say that i am happy with my decision to take melatonin and it seems to be working so far... it is helping me sleep and maybe it is also calming my anxiety..

reinstating AD:

Hi Abir

Good that the Melatonin is helpful. There is a product that has been around since the turn of the century called Bach Flowers - Rescue Remedy. It is sage enough to give it to our canine friends.

Google it. Good for sleep and anxiety. It doesn't work for everyone, but for those who it does they consider it a friend.

Getting slammed with WD after getting off for a few months is actually very common.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Thank you Nikki for your suggestion...

withdrawal symptoms for few months: yes this is what I have learned from this site and other sites like this... But i still can't understand how the medical community is still blind to this fact!!!

reinstating AD:

Hi Abir,

Thinking of you.

I hope you slept well and have no anxiety ..

My symptoms lessened a little, but still here ..yesterday I had the breathing problems, anxiety, and depression ..

Wishing you a peaceful, relaxed day...xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

I am soooooo glad that your symptoms improved even if just a little bit..That is a good sign... I hope they will continue to improve... Hopefully today will be much better than yesterday...

I am still feeling OK, the anxiety is very very mild, i can easily distract myself from it and my sleep is still the same... 5 hours, which is good... I still wake up after one hour of sleep and it takes me a while to go back to sleep but still this is a huge improvement... I hope you will feel better too really soon... Wishing you a restful and calm day...

Abir

reinstating AD:

Abir, thinking of you ..how was your day? I hope you are feeling better and better ..:)

I had a fairly ok day ..some anxiety and breathing issues, and some weeping .

Wishing you a peaceful night, and a sleepy night.

hugs

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.