Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Altostrata

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, indario55 said:

Yes I've read that. I've tried saline too.

But if it dissolves in water just fine, then I guess no need to go for extra steps making a saline solution. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

If it was me I would be using saline.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

It's not a matter of the tablet dissolving in water, but rather the chemical reaction that allows the Active ingredient to dissolve in the water. Lexapro is "sparingly soluble" on water which means that only a small amount of the AI will dissolve in the required volume of water. Add a little salt to the water and Lexapro becomes "soluble" making it so all the AI in a normal tablet will dissolve in a workable volume of water.

Soluble (S) if 1000mg of material requires 10 to 30mL of solute to dissolve. 

Sparingly soluble (SpS) if 1000mg of material requires 30 to 100mL of solute to dissolve.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 4 weeks later...

Since this drug is proportionally stronger in the lower doses, what would be a conservative percentage to taper below 2 mg?

March 2010 Started 50 mg ZoloftMay 2010 CT Zoloft Jan 2015 Started 25 mg Zoloft June 2015 CT Zoloft 

Dec 2019 Started 5mg LexaproJune 2020-July 2020 7.5 mg (alternating 10 mg and 5 mg) LexaproAug 2020- Jan 2021 5 mg Lexapro Feb 2021-July 2022 2.5 mg Lexapro Aug 2022 2.5 mg Lexapro (alternating days)  Sept-Oct 2022 Updosed 3.2 mg Lexapro Nov 2022 3.0 mL/mg Lexapro Dec 2022 2.7 mL/mg Lexapro Jan 1, 2023 2.5 mL/mg Lexapro Jan 27, 2023 2.3 mL/mg Lexapro Feb 19, 2023 2.1 mL/mg Lexapro Feb 28, 2023 Updosed 2.3 mL/mg Lexapro May 5, 2023 2.2 mL/mg Lexapro June 5, 2023 2.1 mL/mg July 3, 2023 2.0 mL/mg July 30, 2023 1.916 mL/mg  Sept 15, 2023 1.833 mL/mg  Oct 9, 2023 1.76 mL/mg Nov 9, 2023 1.69 mL/mg  Dec 4, 2023 1.62 mL/mg Jan 3, 2024 1.56 mL/mg Feb 22, 2024 1.50 mL/mg March 14, 2024 1.44 mL/mg April 2024 HOLD 1.44 mL/mg

Supplements 5 mg Melatonin 

• 3 months later...
On 3/14/2014 at 7:58 PM, areyouthere said:

I just want to point out here that I found it difficult to make my own solution of lexapro in just water. Even though I ground it to a fine powder using a mortar and pestle, It tending to stick to the sides of the glass of all utensils ( graduated cylinder, eye dropper, pipette etc) making it impossible for me to feel confident in even dosing.

I suspect that it is the filling agent used for the particular tablets I use ( Cipralex made by Lundbeck in Turkey… it is brand NOT generic. The tablets are 20 mg. and oblong in shape) but can't be positive.

This is very different than my experience with making a solution using the same technique with generic xanax ( alprazolam) .

I only mention this in case someone else experiences frustration with trying to make a uniform solution of this drug for tapering.

I have decided to go with a combination of 10 mg tablets and a professionally made , brand solution.

Because of cost I purchase Lexapro from Sky Drugs & it is a high quality product…at least it works.

RU

I realise this is a very old thread but I thought that I'd mention my experience on here in the hopes that it will help someone. I spent a very long time stuck in tapering Escitalopram (Cipralex/Lexapro) because I didn't know that one could successfully and easily make your own solution of Escitalopram using isotonic saline. I started my taper from 2.5mgai with a scale but when I got lower, I couldn't figure out how to do it more accurately because it took me a long time to find a compounding pharmacy that could help me. In South Africa, where I live, we do not have access to liquid Escitalopram. This hindered my tapering progress a lot. The compounded liquid contained some type of flavouring that didn't agree with me (intolerance symptoms and irritating esophagus) and then I started dissolving Escitalopram 1:1 in commercial isotonic saline however the commercial saline caused rapid eye-blinking. I then started making my own isotonic saline at home using 2.5ml salt (I use sea salt) in 250ml filtered water. Stir well and I add 10ml of this saline to a 10mg Escitalopram tablet (I use brand name Cipralex). I use a 1ml syringe graduated in 0.01ml increments to taper. I hope this helps convince someone that they can make their own liquid Escitalopram. Please do note that the Escitalopram itself is soluble in saline, but the fillers do separate, and I don't obsess over it at all. I shake/swirl the bottle with the solution before drawing up the dosage and stir before I draw up but I don't worry about the fallout and I have been doing this for more than a month now - my dosages seem constant. I use a small (20ml size) amber-coloured bottle with a screw top that is typically used for homeopathic preparations. 

43yo woman. Cipralex/Lexapro (10mg active ingredient Escitalopram) treatment started March 2007 (28yo at the time). Two unsuccessful tapers (2008 and 2013). Two psychiatric hospital stays (2007 and 2014). Other psychiatric drugs were prescribed and taken from Apr 2014 until June 2016. Tapered off all of the below by June 2016 and from then on have been on Cipralex/Lexapro only.

List of drugs that I had tapered off of so far:

Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Esperide (Sulperide), Dormonoct (Loprazolam), Rivotril (Clonazepam, Klonopin), Prozac (Fluoxetine), Cipramil (Citalopram, Celexa), Stilnox (Zolpidem), Urbanol (Clobazam), Olexar (Olanzapine) and Seroquel (Quetiapine). 

Taking Cipralex (Lexapro) only since June 2016.

Currently on extended Cipralex (Lexapro) taper since Nov 2016.

Started compounded liquid suspension on 01Nov 2022 (1.3mgai/2.5ml). Had problems with flavourant in compounded liquid. June 23: Started to make own liquid from commercial saline then had eye blinking. July 23: Making own liquid using home-made isotonic saline and adding this liquid to gelatine capsules so the liquid will not irritate my esophagus.

Okt23: Current dosage 1.15mg Escitalopram. Jan 2024: 1.12mg Escitalopram. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, how long to reinstall from the last dose of escitalopram? 
Regards

2022 escitalopram from July 25 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg August-December- 7.5 mg, 5 mg, (1 month) 2.5 mg - C/T 
WD
2023 Short reinstatement from WD date: 

escitalopram May 25-June 12 5 mg, 2.5 mg plus interrupted

Reinstatement 24 07.23 0.5mg escitalopram, 18.08.23 0.22 escitalopram, 07.09. 0.28
Now 0.30 mg escitalopram 

Last year 6 months on escitalopram, I was very agitated, hypomaniacal and with little need for sleep. 
Since July 2023 reinstated and reduced from 0.50 mg to 0.30 mg Lexapro - difficulty sleeping and lack of sleep, eye pain and IBS. Anhedonia. 

November 2023 - 0mg

• 1 month later...

@Lady123 were you able to taper at low dose.

I am struggling at 5mg

I only took this for a month

2023 lexapro 19 jul 10mg

2023 lexapro 14 aug 5 mg

2023 lexapro  24 aug 3 ml

2023 lexapro  6 sep 2 ml

2023 lexapro  13 sep 1 ml

• 3 weeks later...

Excited that I finally took the step to get the liquid 1mg/1ml formulation. I was taking 5mg tablet and today started 4.5mg/4.5ml.

Committed to tapering to 0mg however long it takes!! 

Remtaper what is your plan to go to 0

I am at 1ml and not sure howblong to stop1

2023 lexapro 19 jul 10mg

2023 lexapro 14 aug 5 mg

2023 lexapro  6 sep 2 ml

6 minutes ago, survivetaper said:

Remtaper what is your plan to go to 0

I am at 1ml and not sure howblong to stop1

Slow roll. I'm going down in 10% increments for 4 weeks at a time. So it's going to take a while:)

Ok I will continue 1ml, then plan is .8 after 2 weeks, .6 after 2 weeks....until I reach 0

Sounds good?

2023 lexapro 19 jul 10mg

2023 lexapro 14 aug 5 mg

2023 lexapro  6 sep 2 ml

Remtaper,  how long you were on lexapro?

2023 lexapro 19 jul 10mg

2023 lexapro 14 aug 5 mg

2023 lexapro  6 sep 2 ml

1 hour ago, survivetaper said:

Ok I will continue 1ml, then plan is .8 after 2 weeks, .6 after 2 weeks....until I reach 0

Sounds good?

This may be a little fast. First taper with 10% of the previous dosage and then see how you go along. The idea with tapering is that you will feel minimal or as close to no withdrawal effects with every taper. Minimal meaning mild withdrawal effects that do not last more than 3 - 5 days. If you find that the taper is very disruptive, it may be better to taper a lower dosage at a time or to hold longer between tapers. 

My own experience has been that I can taper 0.01mg every 7 - 10 days. Anything faster or more than that, and I feel the withdrawal too intense and take longer to stabilise. You will need to play it by ear and really listen to your body.

For getting down to 0 or taking the jump, please search for "endgame taper" (you'll need to check the spelling) which is a post about how to get to zero. 

Good luck. Slow and steady is the name of this game. We all want to taper quickly, but it can catch up with you if you don't hold enough between tapers even if you think you are "fine" - and all of a sudden a fast taper can catch up so take it slowly in the beginning especially if you've changed formulations or medication type like going from a tablet to a liquid. You should be able to judge after a week how the taper has affected you. 

Edited by Lenaf
Spelling mistake

43yo woman. Cipralex/Lexapro (10mg active ingredient Escitalopram) treatment started March 2007 (28yo at the time). Two unsuccessful tapers (2008 and 2013). Two psychiatric hospital stays (2007 and 2014). Other psychiatric drugs were prescribed and taken from Apr 2014 until June 2016. Tapered off all of the below by June 2016 and from then on have been on Cipralex/Lexapro only.

Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Esperide (Sulperide), Dormonoct (Loprazolam), Rivotril (Clonazepam, Klonopin), Prozac (Fluoxetine), Cipramil (Citalopram, Celexa), Stilnox (Zolpidem), Urbanol (Clobazam), Olexar (Olanzapine) and Seroquel (Quetiapine). 

Started compounded liquid suspension on 01Nov 2022 (1.3mgai/2.5ml). Had problems with flavourant in compounded liquid. June 23: Started to make own liquid from commercial saline then had eye blinking. July 23: Making own liquid using home-made isotonic saline and adding this liquid to gelatine capsules so the liquid will not irritate my esophagus.

Thanks 

2023 lexapro 19 jul 10mg

2023 lexapro 14 aug 5 mg

2023 lexapro  6 sep 2 ml

Does tylenol help with withdrawl effect and headaches 

2023 lexapro 19 jul 10mg

2023 lexapro 14 aug 5 mg

2023 lexapro  6 sep 2 ml

3 hours ago, survivetaper said:

Remtaper,  how long you were on lexapro?

It's been a few years, maybe 3-4. Do you think my titration % is too aggressive? I started at 10mg and moved to 5mg with the 10% rule. Each reduction I did for 4-5 weeks before continuing onto the next 10% cut. 

I think you are doing well. Some peopke say 2 weeks is also good time to titrate after reduction,  Are you having any withdrawal?

I only been on this drug for 2 months but boy this is very hard

2023 lexapro 19 jul 10mg

2023 lexapro 14 aug 5 mg

2023 lexapro  6 sep 2 ml

• 2 weeks later...

Hello wise minds,

I have currently been on 5mg of lexa for a few years. At the start of Sept (about 3 weeks ago), I stopped taking my medication full stop. I know I know this was a mistake, I understand now that I need to do a 10% decrease per month.  I am not coping well and need to decide what to do now.

1) Do I start at 4.5mg (10% decrease from 5mg) now, or do I get back to 5mg (that would be a big increase). I need to decide what to do in the short term. 

2) I do not have access to liquid lexa, so I would have to ask a compounding pharmacy perhaps to help me out for the whole journey. But now...should I just shave off a slice from my 5mg tab? I do have an accurate jewellery scale.

I do not have the capacity to create my own liquid by dissolving the tabs I currently have.

I very much appreciate your support.

Peace, my friends.

10 years of Effexor, mostly at 37.5mg. 
Mid Aug 2019 - taking pill 6 days out of 7 days. no side effects. 

Oct 2019 - Nov 2019 taking pill 5 days out of 7 days. many side effects.

Dec 2019 and ongoing - reducing at 10% a month

Update:

I am fully off Effexor. And have been on 5mg of Lexa for 2 years.

20 hours ago, magentila said:

Hello wise minds,

I have currently been on 5mg of lexa for a few years. At the start of Sept (about 3 weeks ago), I stopped taking my medication full stop. I know I know this was a mistake, I understand now that I need to do a 10% decrease per month.  I am not coping well and need to decide what to do now.

1) Do I start at 4.5mg (10% decrease from 5mg) now, or do I get back to 5mg (that would be a big increase). I need to decide what to do in the short term. 

2) I do not have access to liquid lexa, so I would have to ask a compounding pharmacy perhaps to help me out for the whole journey. But now...should I just shave off a slice from my 5mg tab? I do have an accurate jewellery scale.

I do not have the capacity to create my own liquid by dissolving the tabs I currently have.

I very much appreciate your support.

Peace, my friends.

You can search this forum for "reinstating". If I remember correctly, the best approach would be to go back to the previous dosage where you felt stable, and then take that again for as long as it takes to feel stable again before you start tapering again. 

I also wanted to repeat a post I had posted a while ago about how I taper. Perhaps it could help you. I used a compounding pharmacy to prepare a liquid formulation for me. I really really wish I hadn't because I had side-effects from the liquid that was used to make the suspension. It also cost me a lot of money that I wouldn't have had to spend had I just made my own liquid from the get go.

In my opinion, for now, weigh 5mg on your jeweler's scale. When you are ready to taper again, only taper by 10% and hold that for a while until you feel stable. You should still be able to weigh that smaller dose on the scale. Only once the weighing starts getting less accurate or too small to weigh on the scale, can you switch to the liquid. Also, once you switch to the liquid, do not taper immediately to the liquid - if your last dose before switching to liquid was 4.5mg, then you would stick to 4.5mg when going over to the liquid, and first ensure that you stabilise on the liquid before you taper more. 

The idea is that you shouldn't feel much side-effects from the taper, nothing lasting more than 3 - 4 days at the most. That would result in the most comfortable taper. If you feel that 10% taper is resulting in too many withdrawal effects, then you will need to taper slower, so the next taper you could taper by 5% of the previous dosage. 

Believe me, I get it - it feels like you will be tapering forever. Unfortunately, we don't have much choice; you either do a gentle taper or risk facing withdrawal effects that are too much for your body to handle at one time. Remember, after each dose-adjustment, your body and brain need to adjust physically to the lowered dosage, and it needs to heal, so give it time to heal. If you go too fast, your body might not be able to keep up. 

Making a liquid preparation is really easy, see my older post that I pasted below, originally posted on 4 July 2023 (you can also search the forum for "making a liquid preparation"): [mgai is mg of active ingredient]

I realise this is a very old thread but I thought that I'd mention my experience on here in the hopes that it will help someone. I spent a very long time stuck in tapering Escitalopram (Cipralex/Lexapro) because I didn't know that one could successfully and easily make your own solution of Escitalopram using isotonic saline. I started my taper from 2.5mgai with a scale but when I got lower, I couldn't figure out how to do it more accurately because it took me a long time to find a compounding pharmacy that could help me. In South Africa, where I live, we do not have access to liquid Escitalopram. This hindered my tapering progress a lot. The compounded liquid contained some type of flavouring that didn't agree with me (intolerance symptoms and irritating esophagus) and then I started dissolving Escitalopram 1:1 in commercial isotonic saline however the commercial saline caused rapid eye-blinking. I then started making my own isotonic saline at home using 2.5ml salt (I use sea salt) in 250ml filtered water. Stir well and I add 10ml of this saline to a 10mg Escitalopram tablet (I use brand name Cipralex). I use a 1ml syringe graduated in 0.01ml increments to taper. I hope this helps convince someone that they can make their own liquid Escitalopram. Please do note that the Escitalopram itself is soluble in saline, but the fillers do separate, and I don't obsess over it at all. I shake/swirl the bottle with the solution before drawing up the dosage and stir before I draw up but I don't worry about the fallout and I have been doing this for more than a month now - my dosages seem constant. I use a small (20ml size) amber-coloured bottle with a screw top that is typically used for homeopathic preparations. 

Thank you Lenaf, good to know that I can start at first lowering dose with the scale I have. Once I've stabilized, I can think think about the liquid solution you have outlined. Thank you very much🙏

10 years of Effexor, mostly at 37.5mg. 
Mid Aug 2019 - taking pill 6 days out of 7 days. no side effects. 

Oct 2019 - Nov 2019 taking pill 5 days out of 7 days. many side effects.

Dec 2019 and ongoing - reducing at 10% a month

Update:

I am fully off Effexor. And have been on 5mg of Lexa for 2 years.

• 3 months later...

Hello fellow Lexapro/escitalopram taperers. Does anyone have a good recommended jumping off dose?

The End Game Taper section by Brassmonkey recommends jumping to zero once you hit 2.5% of your original prescribed dose. 

In my case, that would be 2.5% of 15mg, 0.375mg. As I creep below 1mg, I'm understanding just how strong this nasty little chemical is! 

Any advice or experiences for jumping off? Should we follow the 2.5% suggestion? Or go as low as possible? Or is it really just a case-by-case type of situation? 

Edit: sorry, realized I already asked this. Oops! But maybe someone has new info to share?

2013-2015: paroxetine, with brief switch to sertraline, and brief combo with bupropion  • 2015: got off all antidepressant meds for approx 9-12 months, felt great 2015: fluoxetine, bad side effects, quit after two weeks 2015: escitalopram 15mg/day Summer 2019: attempted fast taper off escitalopram, reinstated to 15mg/day dose after six weeks • October 16, 2020: begin taper off escitalopram at rate of 1mg per 1 week (sometimes per 2 weeks) using 1mg/ml liquid from pharmacy • Jan 22, 2021: down to 3mg and holding due to worsening of WD symptoms • Feb 4, 2021: updose to 4mg holding • Feb 2021: tapering at 10% every 28 days Jul 2021: begin using microtaper of 2.5% per week Feb 2022: down to 1.43mg and experiencing worsening WD symptoms, updose to 1.45mg and holding • Mar 2022: resume microtaper schedule, lowest dose: 1.34 mg • Mar 2022: extended hold at 1.36 mg •Jul 2022: resume 10% taper • Apr 2-Jun 21, 2023 extended hold at 0.5mg • Jun 9, 2023 massive life stress situation triggered WD wave, Jun 15-16 took 5mg dose, Jun 17-21 back to 0.5mg dose • Jun 22 small updose to 0.58mg • Jul 1-2 tried 2.5mg, suffered adverse affects (anxiety, can’t eat, palpitations, electric jolts in chest) • Jul 1, 2023 - Jan 3, 2024 long hold at 1mg, slowly stabilizing after crash • Jan 4 resume taper  0.98mg Jan 11 0.95mg 

Supplements: vitamin D3 with K2, vitamin C, iron, magnesium glycinate, EPA/DHA essentials fish oil, melatonin(as needed)

Other prescription meds: levothyroxine 75 mcg (for hypothyroidism), lorazepam 0.25 to 0.5mg (as needed, which is almost never), zofran 2 to 4mg (as needed) 

Hi there catmama

Are you only on Escitalopram?

I had communicated with BrassMonkey some time in 2022 regarding this exact issue of end dosage. I am posting his reply modified by me:

Initial dose X the desired percentage equals target dose. Starting with 10mg makes it super simple [this was my (Lenaf's) initial dosage of Escitalopram]. The target dose is the decimal equivalent of the percentage.  Making 2.5% =0.25mg and 1% = 0.1mg.

The resulting doses have, in the past, proved to be too large for many people to make the jump. Through working with people on the site and from my own experience the Target Exit Dose is calculated as "Median Prescribed Dose X 0.00625".  This provides a much lower exit point and causes much less trouble after making the jump to "0".

For your initial dose of 10mg that would make a Target Exit Dose of 0.06mg. It will take a while longer to get there, but I really recommend taking the time.

I hope that helps you catmama. 

On 1/9/2024 at 8:27 AM, Lenaf said:

Through working with people on the site and from my own experience the Target Exit Dose is calculated as "Median Prescribed Dose X 0.00625".  This provides a much lower exit point and causes much less trouble after making the jump to "0".

Thanks so much for this info, @Lenaf. It's very helpful!

Since my prescribed dose was 15mg, that new figure gives me a target jump off dose of 0.09mg. Seems that at 0.98mg, I still have a ways to go. 😕

2013-2015: paroxetine, with brief switch to sertraline, and brief combo with bupropion  • 2015: got off all antidepressant meds for approx 9-12 months, felt great 2015: fluoxetine, bad side effects, quit after two weeks 2015: escitalopram 15mg/day Summer 2019: attempted fast taper off escitalopram, reinstated to 15mg/day dose after six weeks • October 16, 2020: begin taper off escitalopram at rate of 1mg per 1 week (sometimes per 2 weeks) using 1mg/ml liquid from pharmacy • Jan 22, 2021: down to 3mg and holding due to worsening of WD symptoms • Feb 4, 2021: updose to 4mg holding • Feb 2021: tapering at 10% every 28 days Jul 2021: begin using microtaper of 2.5% per week Feb 2022: down to 1.43mg and experiencing worsening WD symptoms, updose to 1.45mg and holding • Mar 2022: resume microtaper schedule, lowest dose: 1.34 mg • Mar 2022: extended hold at 1.36 mg •Jul 2022: resume 10% taper • Apr 2-Jun 21, 2023 extended hold at 0.5mg • Jun 9, 2023 massive life stress situation triggered WD wave, Jun 15-16 took 5mg dose, Jun 17-21 back to 0.5mg dose • Jun 22 small updose to 0.58mg • Jul 1-2 tried 2.5mg, suffered adverse affects (anxiety, can’t eat, palpitations, electric jolts in chest) • Jul 1, 2023 - Jan 3, 2024 long hold at 1mg, slowly stabilizing after crash • Jan 4 resume taper  0.98mg Jan 11 0.95mg 

Supplements: vitamin D3 with K2, vitamin C, iron, magnesium glycinate, EPA/DHA essentials fish oil, melatonin(as needed)

Other prescription meds: levothyroxine 75 mcg (for hypothyroidism), lorazepam 0.25 to 0.5mg (as needed, which is almost never), zofran 2 to 4mg (as needed) 

2 hours ago, catmama said:

Thanks so much for this info, @Lenaf. It's very helpful!

Since my prescribed dose was 15mg, that new figure gives me a target jump off dose of 0.09mg. Seems that at 0.98mg, I still have a ways to go. 😕

I know the feeling! I am sitting at 1.12mg. I desperately want off this drug, but I also need to function so it's a double edged sword. I currently taper 0.01mg per week or two weeks. I have held for a while at this current dosage because I wanted to have a festive period without upheaval and also I started a new job end of last year so I need to be highly functional. I find that tapering more than 0.01mg at a time, is too much for me although I haven't tried 0.02 for a while. I will probably try again and see how I feel. 

What is your tapering schedule and which taper amounts/percentages do you find the "easiest"? I get discouraged sometimes because at this rate, I still have years to go. No other way than through, unfortunately. 

I'm interested as well : what were your schedule and taper % ?

I'm thinking of 1,25% per week for 3 weeks and 3 weeks at 5% (so I'm at 10mg, then first week at 9,875, 9,750, 9,625, and finally 9,500 for 3 weeks).

@Lenaf : how do you manage to get 0.01 at a time ? I have made some tests on Excel and this is what I get : 10mg in 1L of water and 1mL only of that 1L water to get 0.01. This seems so crazy small. Margin of error seems really too high without proper equipment ? I want to use syringes because it think it's too hard to use a 0.01 scale for this.

AD : 2009 - 2012 Lexapro 10mg (CT?). 2015 - 2021 Lexapro 10mg. Spring 2021 - Summer 2021 Lexapro 0mg (CT)
Couple of days in summer 21 : Lexapro 5mg, Oxazepam, Cyamepromazine, Risperidone (blurry period, no details)
Summer 21 - 27 sept. 23 : Lexapro 10mg (sometimes 5mg, 20mg but mainly 10mg throughout this period)
28 sept. 23 to 4 oct. 23 : many changes in few days (no Lexapro for 2 days, Cyamepromazine for 2 days, Risperidone 1 day 0,5mg and 1 day 1mg, then Olanzapine for 1 day, each day with 3x25mg Oxazepam). Permanent dysautonomia symptoms appeared on the 1st day
5 oct. 23 - 7 nov. 23 : Lexapro 10mg
8 nov. 23 - 14 nov. 23 : Lexapro 5mg + Cymbalta 30mg
15 nov. 23 - 21 nov. 23 : Cymbalta 60mg

22 nov. 23 - 28. nov. 23 : Lexapro 5mg + Cymbalta 30mg

Since 29 nov. 23 : Lexapro 10mg

Benzo & others : Anxiety Summer 23 - 8 nov. 2023 : Oxazepam (varying from 0 to 75mg a day). 9 nov. - 7 dec. 2023 : Diazepam (5mg, tapering at 2,5mg from 28 nov.). Sleep : 8 nov. 23 - 29 nov. 23 : Alimemazine (2,5mg) (replaced Imovane (7,5mg)/Ambien (10mg), used since 7 oct. 2023)

Since dec. 2023 Magnesium bisglycinate 200mgOmega 3 1600mg (800mg EPA/600mg DHA), Probiotics

2 hours ago, Lenaf said:

What is your tapering schedule and which taper amounts/percentages do you find the "easiest"?

I took 15mg Lexapro for about five years before tapering, and in the beginning, I went very fast, like dropping 1mg per week. When I hit 3mg I was slammed with symptoms, so reinstated to 4mg, then once stable utilized the standard 10% taper. I alternated with the Brassmonkey taper but found the 10% seemed to be the best. I'd feel mostly-tolerable symptoms around four to five days after a dose drop, but then things would level out  to my "WD normal" for the most part and I could still function, work, exercise, socialize, etc. All this was over about a two and half year span. June 2023 I went through a major trauma and went up and down on my dose (out of desperation) and I think I majorly messed up my CNS. I held at 1mg for six months and just resumed tapering last week, with a 2.5% drop. It's tolerable so far, but just barely.  I never have landed on a comfortable WD normal since my crash in June. Depending how I feel when I hit 0.90mg, I will either keep using Brassmonkey, or I'll switch back to standard 10%. It seems that there is no "easy" taper amounts, so if I can tolerate the 10% drops, I'll do that. This drug is such a nightmare. I still struggle with acceptance of my situation. 

How do you feel using a slow, linear taper opposed to the hyperbolic taper schedule?  

23 minutes ago, Viinncceennt said:

I'm thinking of 1,25% per week for 3 weeks and 3 weeks at 5% (so I'm at 10mg, then first week at 9,875, 9,750, 9,625, and finally 9,500 for 3 weeks).

This is the same method as the Brassmonkey taper, except you're dropping a total of 5% every six weeks instead of 10%, which is quite a gentle taper schedule. I think the general rule is to go at a pace that you can tolerate. At higher doses, you may be able to get away with the standard 10% taper. From what I've seen, most people run into the most issues with Lexparo when they get to about 2.5 mg, give or take.

I recommend tracking your daily symptoms using some sort of scoring metric, to help you see how you react to each drop. You can see on my intro thread an example of how I track mine on a Google sheet. I track my most common symptoms along with dose, where I'm at in my menstrual cycle, diet, supplements, sleep (I use a FitBit), and leave a column for just notes on the day. I've noticed that when I'm in a window, I forget to fill it out, so that's kind of a nice way of remembering I'm in a window and that they do, in fact, occur :)  Feel free to comment on my intro thread if you want more info. 

Thanks @catmama !

AD : 2009 - 2012 Lexapro 10mg (CT?). 2015 - 2021 Lexapro 10mg. Spring 2021 - Summer 2021 Lexapro 0mg (CT)
Couple of days in summer 21 : Lexapro 5mg, Oxazepam, Cyamepromazine, Risperidone (blurry period, no details)
Summer 21 - 27 sept. 23 : Lexapro 10mg (sometimes 5mg, 20mg but mainly 10mg throughout this period)
28 sept. 23 to 4 oct. 23 : many changes in few days (no Lexapro for 2 days, Cyamepromazine for 2 days, Risperidone 1 day 0,5mg and 1 day 1mg, then Olanzapine for 1 day, each day with 3x25mg Oxazepam). Permanent dysautonomia symptoms appeared on the 1st day

Benzo & others : Anxiety Summer 23 - 8 nov. 2023 : Oxazepam (varying from 0 to 75mg a day). 9 nov. - 7 dec. 2023 : Diazepam (5mg, tapering at 2,5mg from 28 nov.). Sleep : 8 nov. 23 - 29 nov. 23 : Alimemazine (2,5mg) (replaced Imovane (7,5mg)/Ambien (10mg), used since 7 oct. 2023)

Since dec. 2023 Magnesium bisglycinate 200mgOmega 3 1600mg (800mg EPA/600mg DHA), Probiotics

On 1/10/2024 at 11:38 PM, Viinncceennt said:

I'm interested as well : what were your schedule and taper % ?

@Lenaf : how do you manage to get 0.01 at a time ? I have made some tests on Excel and this is what I get : 10mg in 1L of water and 1mL only of that 1L water to get 0.01. This seems so crazy small. Margin of error seems really too high without proper equipment ? I want to use syringes because it think it's too hard to use a 0.01 scale for this.

Hi there

When I started tapering, I did not know what I was doing at all. It was only when I had been stuck on 5mg for some time and started looking for help, that I read the book "The antidepressant solution by Dr David Glenmullen in 2021. My tapers were scattered and ranged from 50%, 33%, 24% to 1.8%. When I landed here, my strategy was to drop one tablet at a time, meaning I would take 6 x 5mg per week and then the 7th day, I would take nothing, in an effort to taper that way. I found out through this site (around 2022) that it was not the way to go. When I found this site, I was at 1.31mgai (active ingredient). I first tapered using a jewelry scale and would cut the tablet up to weigh out the desired amount. It was tedious.

Since then, I've been experimenting to find a taper dosage that would allow me to still function while tapering, which is proving to be a tall order. 

A little higher up in the same thread, I have posted how I make my own liquid version of Escitalopram and how I taper using an oral syringe that is incremented in 0.01ml. I even had a compounding pharmacy make a liquid solution of escitalopram for me and I really wish I didn't and just saved time, money and effort and made the solution myself.

Tapering 0.01ml at a time is 0.89% at a time - tiny. It is frustrating to say the least, but I will be experimenting with a larger taper the next time and see how it goes. I've had some weird withdrawal symptoms before, and right now I think that my GI tract is influenced the most - swallowing, reflux. I also have a hernia as a result of a twin pregnancy and the drug convolutes things a lot. 

The only advice I have is err on the side of caution when tapering. Yes, it is frustrating. Not more frustrating than landing back in the system or having to re-instate. All the best and feel free to reply or DM if you have more questions. 

My older  post below, I hope it helps. 

On 9/24/2023 at 11:25 PM, Lenaf said:

I also wanted to repeat a post I had posted a while ago about how I taper. Perhaps it could help you. I used a compounding pharmacy to prepare a liquid formulation for me. I really really wish I hadn't because I had side-effects from the liquid that was used to make the suspension. It also cost me a lot of money that I wouldn't have had to spend had I just made my own liquid from the get go.

In my opinion, for now, weigh 5mg on your jeweler's scale. When you are ready to taper again, only taper by 10% and hold that for a while until you feel stable. You should still be able to weigh that smaller dose on the scale. Only once the weighing starts getting less accurate or too small to weigh on the scale, can you switch to the liquid. Also, once you switch to the liquid, do not taper immediately to the liquid - if your last dose before switching to liquid was 4.5mg, then you would stick to 4.5mg when going over to the liquid, and first ensure that you stabilise on the liquid before you taper more. 

The idea is that you shouldn't feel much side-effects from the taper, nothing lasting more than 3 - 4 days at the most. That would result in the most comfortable taper. If you feel that 10% taper is resulting in too many withdrawal effects, then you will need to taper slower, so the next taper you could taper by 5% of the previous dosage. 

Believe me, I get it - it feels like you will be tapering forever. Unfortunately, we don't have much choice; you either do a gentle taper or risk facing withdrawal effects that are too much for your body to handle at one time. Remember, after each dose-adjustment, your body and brain need to adjust physically to the lowered dosage, and it needs to heal, so give it time to heal. If you go too fast, your body might not be able to keep up. 

Making a liquid preparation is really easy, see my older post that I pasted below, originally posted on 4 July 2023 (you can also search the forum for "making a liquid preparation"): [mgai is mg of active ingredient]

On 1/13/2024 at 6:11 PM, Lenaf said:

Hi there

When I started tapering, I did not know what I was doing at all. It was only when I had been stuck on 5mg for some time and started looking for help, that I read the book "The antidepressant solution by Dr David Glenmullen in 2021. My tapers were scattered and ranged from 50%, 33%, 24% to 1.8%. When I landed here, my strategy was to drop one tablet at a time, meaning I would take 6 x 5mg per week and then the 7th day, I would take nothing, in an effort to taper that way. I found out through this site (around 2022) that it was not the way to go. When I found this site, I was at 1.31mgai (active ingredient). I first tapered using a jewelry scale and would cut the tablet up to weigh out the desired amount. It was tedious.

Since then, I've been experimenting to find a taper dosage that would allow me to still function while tapering, which is proving to be a tall order. 

A little higher up in the same thread, I have posted how I make my own liquid version of Escitalopram and how I taper using an oral syringe that is incremented in 0.01ml. I even had a compounding pharmacy make a liquid solution of escitalopram for me and I really wish I didn't and just saved time, money and effort and made the solution myself.

Tapering 0.01ml at a time is 0.89% at a time - tiny. It is frustrating to say the least, but I will be experimenting with a larger taper the next time and see how it goes. I've had some weird withdrawal symptoms before, and right now I think that my GI tract is influenced the most - swallowing, reflux. I also have a hernia as a result of a twin pregnancy and the drug convolutes things a lot. 

The only advice I have is err on the side of caution when tapering. Yes, it is frustrating. Not more frustrating than landing back in the system or having to re-instate. All the best and feel free to reply or DM if you have more questions. 

My older  post below, I hope it helps. 

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer me.

Can I just ask where did you find 0.01ml syring ?

Good luck with your taper

On 1/14/2024 at 7:18 PM, Viinncceennt said:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer me.

Can I just ask where did you find 0.01ml syring ?

Good luck with your taper

Hi there @Viinncceennt. If you're in the US, you should find them easily enough on Amazon. I'm in South Africa so I ordered them from a company named Braun, they're an international company. 

All the best for your taper as well, do reach out if you need support or advice, it helps to know one is not alone. 

Thanks @Lenaf. I'm in France, I'll check Braun

Found it :)

So glad you found the syringes. Let me know how you do and how the taper goes. 

• 1 month later...

I plan to start my taper next month, and I've told my provider this. She is very supportive. When I asked about getting the prescription in liquid form she said that my insurance would likely not cover it. She said that liquid medications are intended for children, but since adults can swallow pills, then that is the only form of medication they will cover.

Has anyone had their insurance company deny liquid form of Lexapro? 

I've read that there is some pushback and denial if you are asking for a combination of pills and liquid, but was curious if anyone was denied when they just asked for liquid form?

While I am not opposed to creating my own liquid solution with saline, getting it in liquid form from an actual pharmacy seems much more controlled.
Should I press my provider to write this prescription anyway when I am at that point?

Lexapro 20mg March 2019-Present

• Attempted taper November 2022 cutting dose in half, reinstated after 5 days due to WD symptoms
  • Attempted taper April 2023 dose by 25% for 2 weeks, 50% for 1 day, reinstated to full dose due to WD symptoms

Adderall 15mg XR May 2021-Present, but unable to access since 2022 due to national shortage
Lamotrigine 100mg February 2024-Present

• taking by Dr. instructions for suspected bipolar but MAINLY because Dr said it would help alleviate WD symptoms from Lexapro when I start my slow taper, aiming for April 2024 to start taper
  • Decided to taper down this medication to half-dose to see if I experience any WD symptoms. Considering coming off drug completely, but seeking Dr advice and input.

Bupropion XL 150mg February 2024-March 2024

• taking per Dr instructions to alleviate WD symptoms when I start tapering from Lexapro in April 2024
  • Due to concerns (and feedback from other members and member stories on the site) about pill switching and just shifting my dependence to another drug, I've decided to stop taking this. Thankfully so far, no WD symptoms from stopping CT. 

On 7/4/2023 at 9:30 PM, Lenaf said:

The compounded liquid contained some type of flavouring that didn't agree with me (intolerance symptoms and irritating esophagus)

Interesting topic, although I’m using the liquid form of Citalopram. 

I wonder if it was the flavouring that caused your esophagus to be irritated @Lenaf. For months my esophagus was highly inflamed when on 6mg of liquid citalopram. Last week or so it seems to be subsiding a bit (fingers crossed), when on 4mg. I wonder if it isn’t just the liquid-form of the med that’s causing it, or is the culprit of the acid reflux.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy