Altostrata

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Katy398
On 5/27/2011 at 12:16 PM, Altostrata said:

significant characteristic of Lexapro is that milligram for milligram, it is much stronger than other SSRIs

Hi Alto

Do you know of a link that I can give my doctor. She says it’s no stronger than most other ADs 

Thank you Kx

Altostrata
On 5/26/2011 at 7:16 PM, Altostrata said:

A significant characteristic of Lexapro is that milligram for milligram, it is much stronger than other SSRIs. Chemically, Lexapro is a variation of Celexa; the molecule was re-engineered to be patentable as Celexa's patent was about to expire. The streamlined molecule is a more potent SSRI, 2 to 4 times stronger than others. (Wikipedia has a good explanation of this at https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Escitalopram.)

Gilla999

Hi all - hope i'm posting this in the right place as I seem to keep getting it wrong! I've just purchased the Cipralex liquid in the UK so that I can do a 10% taper off of Escitalopram. However.... and apologies if this question has already been asked, I'm sure it has.... the bottle is not like the Mirtazapine liquid that I have, it's in "drops" with "1 drop = 1mg". I can't take the stopper off the bottle to get a syringe in there, and even if I managed to break it off I still wouldn't know what the dose equivalent is for ml - ie. I don't know how many ml is "one drop" of the bottle dosage and therefore can't convert it into mg.

Can anyone help? If I drop from my current 6 drops (eg 6mg) right down to 5 drops (5 mg) that's already a 16% drop :(

Gridley
1 hour ago, Gilla999 said:

Can anyone help? If I drop from my current 6 drops (eg 6mg) right down to 5 drops (5 mg) that's already a 16% drop :(

If one drop is 1mg, you don't need to convert.  You're basing your calculations in mg anyway.

I'm not sure what a "drop"is or how it comes out of the bottle.  Can you put 1 drop in a small bowl and use a syringe to measure half, giving you 0.5mg and take 5 1/2 drops which is an acceptable 8% decrease.  Save the the other 1/2 drop for the next day.  If this works you can divide further into quarters as you go lower.

Edited by Gridley

Gilla999

Thanks @Gridley for the reply. I've managed to work out that 1 drop = 1ml and I've also rammed the bottle neck off so I can get a 0.5 syringe in there. Trouble is there is no plastic stopper inside so I can't lift the bottle up to draw it back, but it will do. 

However I had a massive migraine yesterday morning which is really unusual for me and then had the "jumping awake when trying to sleep" thing all night - only managed 3 hours. I don't ever usually get migraines and I'm wondering if it's connected to my medication in some way. I've decided to stop taking the liquid (only took it for two days) and go back to my Lexapro pills for now until I feel better and stabilise. Wondering if anyone else has experienced migraines as part of WD or maybe it's just a co-incidence. But last night definitely felt like WD with anxiety and sleep jumps!!

Gridley
3 hours ago, Gilla999 said:

o back to my Lexapro pills for now until I feel better and stabilise.

Good idea.

Many members have reported migraines connected to withdrawal.

Migraines, headaches, neck ache / pain and head pressure ...

Headaches, which I know aren't migraines, are #45 on the withdrawal symptom checklist.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

Gilla999

Interesting! Thanks very much for sharing @Gridley. Think maybe i'm accepting I need to try and taper off one thing at a time - otherwise it's really hard to know what is WD and if so what's it connected to etc

Gridley
5 minutes ago, Gilla999 said:

Think maybe i'm accepting I need to try and taper off one thing at a time - otherwise it's really hard to know what is WD

We definitely recommend one drug at a time for the reasons you gave.

Andie
19 hours ago, Gilla999 said:

Thanks @Gridley for the reply. I've managed to work out that 1 drop = 1ml and I've also rammed the bottle neck off so I can get a 0.5 syringe in there. Trouble is there is no plastic stopper inside so I can't lift the bottle up to draw it back, but it will do. 

@Gilla999 Are you using the 20mg per ml solution? 

Can you transfer all the contents over to another bottle with a stopper that can be used with a syringe? 

Ive just had to do this, and purchased a couple of amber bottles with stoppers and syringes from a compounding Pharmacy. 

Gilla999

@Andie that's a great idea - and yes that's the one I have  - I'm not sure where to buy the empty bottles from (I'm in the UK, not sure we have compounding pharmacies here) but I'm sure they can't be hard to find - I shall have a Google

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy