Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

Altostrata

The neurotransmitter imbalance theory has no validity. Don't worry about your neurotransmitter balance. You already are producing all the neurotransmitters you need naturally.

Alto, do you think the use of AD, especially long term, can damage our neurotransmitters/receptor sites? Just curious. This is something I've wondered about for years.

On Prozac since 2004, 10 mg 

Began to taper, 2016, first time cold turkey

unsuccessful, so soon after tried again

kept having to go back on medication due to withdrawals

tried to do it myself as couldn't find a dr to help me

Currently on taper #4 from 2016, having changed to Lexapro and starting November 2018 from 5 mg

As of April 2020 I am at 1/5th of a mg (.2 mg)

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this page at this site and I’m not anymore so confused why I feld like a lunatic after doctor cold turkey’d me at 5mg Escitalopram(Lexapro). 
This drug seems to be a monster compared to other drugs!

And when I was prescribed Escitalopram doctor said that this is maybe the mildest drug in the market. For God sake...

Mid july 2019 started Escitalopram 

First week 2,5mg, second week 5mg, then 10mg for few days, then back to 5mg

Mid september 2019 quit cold turkey Escitalopram

1. february 2020 started Ketipinor for sleep issues and anxiety

mid march 2020 stopped Ketipinor

Taking some Diazepams (Diapam 5mg) for panic attacks and withdrawal. Not taken for months.

Esomeprazol 40mg/day for gastroesophageal reflux disease

Tapering that out 25% / week (done)

• 2 months later...

That’s absolutely shocking @Teppo125 It is terrifying  thar doctors do not know about the drugs they prescribe.

I was on 40 mgs double the registered dose. I was fast tracked /cold turkeyed off it by a psychiatrist ( sadly I found this site too late to safely reinstate). When I tried to explain my dilemma to my  doctor  I was told unequivocally that I was wrong. Lexapro is no stronger than any other SSRI!! 18 months in withdrawal and Ive seen 4 psychiatrists and not one medical professional has helped me non of them knew the strength of Lexapro. I’ve now found a medication support and recovery service myself through google which is really helping. My lifeline  has been this website and google. Sorry folks this bad wave is making me very scared.  I was not only cold turkeyed  but it was from one of the strongest ADs on the market and I was on double the register dose. This terror often flares up in my  waves. 

Take care everyone and please be mindful of your taper from this brutal drug. 

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

@Katy398

I read that 85% of capasity of the drug is at 10mg, so it’s not a big deal how much bigger amount you are taking.

Mid july 2019 started Escitalopram 

First week 2,5mg, second week 5mg, then 10mg for few days, then back to 5mg

Mid september 2019 quit cold turkey Escitalopram

1. february 2020 started Ketipinor for sleep issues and anxiety

mid march 2020 stopped Ketipinor

Taking some Diazepams (Diapam 5mg) for panic attacks and withdrawal. Not taken for months.

Esomeprazol 40mg/day for gastroesophageal reflux disease

Tapering that out 25% / week (done)

Thank you @Teppo125 maybe I don’t need to worry so much then. Take care, look after yourself,  Best for your  journey through this. Kind Regards. 

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

Katy398 said:

I’ve now found a medication support and recovery service myself through google which is really helping.

what is a medication and recovery service? What do they do? 

On Prozac since 2004, 10 mg 

Began to taper, 2016, first time cold turkey

unsuccessful, so soon after tried again

kept having to go back on medication due to withdrawals

tried to do it myself as couldn't find a dr to help me

Currently on taper #4 from 2016, having changed to Lexapro and starting November 2018 from 5 mg

As of April 2020 I am at 1/5th of a mg (.2 mg)

• Moderator Emeritus

@neverknew

Do a google search for:  medication and recovery service and you will get a list of results.  If you put in your location you might be able to find one/some close to you.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi @neverknew,

It’s a Government funded service here that supports people who have been affected by  prescription medication. The person I speak to has not  had experience with antidepressants withdrawal but she supports people who are experiencing  difficulties taking Benzodiazepines and some painkillers. She seems to understand the symptoms and is helping me with strategies to aid recovery and weather the waves. To be honest there nothing new than you wouldn’t find here, it’s a counselling service that understands what I going through.   PAST in Wales is another service I know offers support. I don’t think there are many but they are out there. Not sure about USA. 

Take care Neverknew, take your time and listen to your body. Warm Regards Katy

Last dose end Dec 2018 

• Altostrata changed the title to Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

SERT occupancy graph for Escitalopram available here. Note the graph is only for a single dose: 

Remeron - 2004-2005 (bad withdrawal)

Clonazepam - 2005-2018 (jumped around March)

Olanzapine - 2014- late 2017

Domperidone - 2008-2018

Many drugs in between including Lexapro, other benzos and z-drugs.

Still suffering post-withdrawal from Clonazepam (Klonopin), Olanzapine and Domperidone. 

• 2 weeks later...

If 5 mg is around 70 percent sert occupancy, going down to 2,5 a day should'nt be that problematic since half life of it keeps you close to 5 right?

2016 abilify 5mg for ocd. After couple months prozac+abilify 2.5mg.

2017 quit abilfy, couple of months later quit prozac CT, without much issue.

2019/8 OCD triggered panic attack.> Cause of stupid parent took abilfy and prozac at the same time for a week. Transported to hell.

2019/8 Cut the prozac abilfy after a week and took escitalopram and olanzapine for a month. After a week i read this place and decide to quit those. But im stupid as my parent is.

2020/4? After olanzapine is out in 3 months i try to quit escitalopram, takes ~7 months

2020/12? After escitalopram is out im unwell, took abilfy 5 and sertaline 50.

2021/1? abilfy 2.5mg sertaline 25mg

2021/2 Started quitting abilfy and sertaline starting with abilfy

2021/7? Abilfy is out by cutting around a quarter a month

2021/9? Quitting sertaline

2022/5? Sertaline amount is some dust. Was quartering and grinding the remaning quarters to 0. So around 25% month. *But a very erratic decrease rather than a taper*

2022/7 day 27 After feeling some wd, i took <0.05? sertaline.

Liquid tapering effect on tongue

Liquid tapering lexapro. Does anyone find that tasting the drug effect tounge?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

2016 abilify 5mg for ocd. After couple months prozac+abilify 2.5mg.

2017 quit abilfy, couple of months later quit prozac CT, without much issue.

2019/8 OCD triggered panic attack.> Cause of stupid parent took abilfy and prozac at the same time for a week. Transported to hell.

2019/8 Cut the prozac abilfy after a week and took escitalopram and olanzapine for a month. After a week i read this place and decide to quit those. But im stupid as my parent is.

2020/4? After olanzapine is out in 3 months i try to quit escitalopram, takes ~7 months

2020/12? After escitalopram is out im unwell, took abilfy 5 and sertaline 50.

2021/1? abilfy 2.5mg sertaline 25mg

2021/2 Started quitting abilfy and sertaline starting with abilfy

2021/7? Abilfy is out by cutting around a quarter a month

2021/9? Quitting sertaline

2022/5? Sertaline amount is some dust. Was quartering and grinding the remaning quarters to 0. So around 25% month. *But a very erratic decrease rather than a taper*

2022/7 day 27 After feeling some wd, i took <0.05? sertaline.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Liquid tapering effect on tongue
  • 4 months later...
  • Mentor
On 7/19/2020 at 3:31 AM, Teppo125 said:

@Katy398

I read that 85% of capasity of the drug is at 10mg, so it’s not a big deal how much bigger amount you are taking.

Interesting - so the difference between taking 10mg escitalopram and 15mg is very small, right?

Also, I'm thinking of getting liquid escitalopram from a local compounding pharmacy. Would that be dangerous at all? I'm scared they could mess up the dosage or something - we know that even a slight mistake can have tremendous effects.

- Escitalopram 10mg from ages 15 - 21

- Severe crash after 4 month taper to 0

- Reinstated, stabilized, slowly tapering.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

@Yesyes123

Please read Post #1 of the Tips for Tapering Escitalopram topic (current topic).  This drug is very strong:

On 5/27/2011 at 12:16 PM, Altostrata said:

If you are taking 5mg of Lexapro, it's not tiny, it's equivalent to 10-20mg Paxil or Celexa.

Consequently, when you taper off escitalopram, you should be careful to decrease by small amounts, as each drop is magnified by escitalopram's extra potency. If you find withdrawal symptoms from a 10% decrease to be too difficult, after 3-4 weeks decrease by a smaller amount.

ALSO SEE:

Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Mentor

I cannot understand how some people say they cold turkey'd escitalopram/ Lexapro after 3+ years of use and say they had no problems with it. I recently met someone who said so. Unbelievable.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

I think that some people may experience withdrawal symptoms which they do not attribute to stopping a drug.  It is amazing the wide variety of symptoms which can be experienced.  I had an upset stomach when I reduced my Pristiq by 50% and would not have thought anything about it except that afterwards I found SA and the list of possible symptoms and made the connection.  I also suffered from extreme cog fog and after 2 weeks at the lower dose I was unable to type.  By that time I had found thankfully SA and they suggested updosing.  After I updosed, about 4 hours later, hours not days, I was able to type again.  I am a professional typist and had a benchmark so know for certain that it was caused by the drug. 

Also their withdrawal may be delayed.  This happened to me when I cold turkeyed citalopram.  I felt great for at least 2 months afterwards, the best that I had felt for a very long time.  Then I got hit with what felt like the flu but was not.  I was bedridden for 2.5 weeks and lost 8kgs because I could not eat.  After this happened I was put on Pristiq, not knowing that it was withdrawal.  Again it was not until I found SA that I made the connection and realised that it was withdrawal.

• Mentor

Thank you so much @ChessieCat.

That makes a lot of sense.

I was wondering, if instead of crushing my pills to powder I weight my pills and use a nail file to shave off 10% of the weight of the pill, and then do that for the whole taper?

I'm worried I can't do that because the active ingredient isn't well spread throughout the pill, and I might end up shaving off only the filler ingredient, changing the weight but not the actual dose of Escitalopram.

@Gridley this method wouldn't be likely to work right?

• Moderator Emeritus
28 minutes ago, Yesyes123 said:

instead of crushing my pills to powder

I would crush to powder.  Here is what I wrote in my PM to you:

I'm not aware of a link specifically about crushing pills but I can easily explain.  Lexapro is not time-release and can be safely crushed to powder.  I used two spoons and crushed the tablet very fine between them.  Give the powder a good stir to make sure the active ingredient is well mixed with the filler.  I used a powder measuring spoon for this (Google "powder measuring spoon").  Weigh the powder, adding or subtracting powder with the spoon (or you can use tweezers) until you get the weight you want.  Pour the powder into a size 0 gelatin capsule.  You can do this with a bent post-it.  I used 3" square LabExact weighing paper.  Save leftover powder in a capsule for future use.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Mentor

Do you guys think that some people's CNS aren't as sensitive to escitalopram and can quit cold turkey or with a very fast taper and have no major problems?

While others have life-threatening withdrawal, needing to be hospitalized, only to be thrown into a cocktail of drugs that will only make the situation 10x worse...

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

From switching to solid pill to crushed powder in gelatin capsule, it is not necessary to taper into it right?

Is it ok to just switch from solid pill to crushed powder in gelatin capsule and vice versa?

Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

Generally it is better to do a cross over when changing form of the drug.  It is gentler on your system.

Also do not make a reduction at the same time.

Each of the following combinations for 3-7 days, holding for longer if needed:

3/4 + 1/4, 1/2 + 1/2, 1/4 + 3/4

The reason for this is that the drug may be absorbed differently.  Taking the powder in a gelatin capsule may be almost the same as taking the powder without the capsule because the gelatin will probably melt and release the powder at roughly the same time so you may experience dose dumping which will be a bit different to taking a solid tablet which may take a different amount of time to dissolve and/or be absorbed.

• Mentor

Perfect thanks once again @ChessieCat.

• 3 months later...

Is there any way the pre-made liquid form could get stronger as there’s less in the bottle? I stir it a little before each dose. That can’t happen, right?

May 2019 started lexapro 2.5 mg; 2020 went to every other day; 2021 beginning of Mar, tried to stop but had insomnia; Mar 30, 2021 reinstated 1.25 ev other day, WD symptoms, not enough

April 19, 2021 started liquid, .85 mg/day; May 1, 2021 .8 mg, May 6 .75 mg; June 6 .7 mg, June 20 .65mg, June 30  .6mg, Jul 24 .55 mg, Oct 17 .5 mg, Dec 5- .45 mg; Jan 26, 2022- 4mg,  April 18- .375 ; April 24- .35; April 29- .3; Jun 12- .25 mg; Jun 28- .2 lex; Sept- .15 mg, Nov .1- long hold, never got better

June ‘23- PPPD started 🙁, Jun- .09, Jul- .08, Oct- .07, Dec- .06, Jan ‘24- .05!

Taking Magnesium, whole foods iron, & natural supplements as needed for sleep

I tapered off with liquid for 4 years and never had that problem

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

I am currently at 12mg. But thinking I got there too quickly. Started at 20mg 7 weeks ago. Certainly feeling things the last week and 1/2. Do I go back to 14 and stay there or try and hang I. There for awhile until things settle down? My 10% drop would be 12.6.

Sept.2019 to present Lexapro August 2019 1 week on Ativan.

May 10th 2021 began taper of 20 mg of Lexapro.  July 5, 2021 at 12 mg. Been there two weeks. Going to stay here awhile

7/6 12 mg of Lexapro7/7 12 mg of Lexapro.  11.7 on August 8th using 2.5% Sept 6th @ 10.8 9/20 10.2 11/11/21 9.411/21 8.7 will hold for 3 weeks.12/1 to present 9 mg.*I will find the other dates from 12/1/2021.Dates I could find: 6/3/22 6.7, 7/2/33 6.3,  7/16 5.9, 8/6/22 5.6.  9/3/2022 5.6 to 5.3 5% drop, 9/30/2022 @5 5% drop, 10/302022 @ 4.8 held for a week. 

9_3 5.6 to 5.3 5% drop.eml

• Moderator Emeritus

Answered in your Introduction, Mascasa.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 1 month later...

If i understood this correctly. Simply cutting and weighing a pill isnt secure enough because the effective escitalopram and the fillingredients are not well blended in the pill?

2009 Escitalopram 10mg

April 2013 got off August 2013 reinstated 

July 2015 Ketipinor 50mg (Quetiapin)

April 2021 got off Quetiapin 4w taper

May 2021 tapered off Escitalopram 

9 August 2021 back on Escitalopram 2,5mg. Down to 2 mg. Updosed to 2,2mg August 24 Down to 2mg September 2

Updosed to 3mg Sept 28 

December Still holding ❤️

June 9 2022 2,9 mg

June 19 2022 2,85 mg

December 2022 switched syringes and realized i am actually taking 3,4 mg

Supplements vitamin E 400 magnesium malate a fraction of 400, Rosita Cod liver oil

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Mentor
10 hours ago, Escitalopram21 said:

If i understood this correctly. Simply cutting and weighing a pill isnt secure enough because the effective escitalopram and the fillingredients are not well blended in the pill?

Crushing an escitalopram pill to powder and mixing it should be enough to make the active ingredient well dispersed in the powder mix. 

52 minutes ago, Yesyes123 said:

Crushing an escitalopram pill to powder and mixing it should be enough to make the active ingredient well dispersed in the powder mix. 

Crush the pill and then weigh it? What kind of scale is best? Would 2 decimals do or would it have to be 3?

2009 Escitalopram 10mg

April 2013 got off August 2013 reinstated 

July 2015 Ketipinor 50mg (Quetiapin)

April 2021 got off Quetiapin 4w taper

May 2021 tapered off Escitalopram 

9 August 2021 back on Escitalopram 2,5mg. Down to 2 mg. Updosed to 2,2mg August 24 Down to 2mg September 2

Updosed to 3mg Sept 28 

December Still holding ❤️

June 9 2022 2,9 mg

June 19 2022 2,85 mg

December 2022 switched syringes and realized i am actually taking 3,4 mg

Supplements vitamin E 400 magnesium malate a fraction of 400, Rosita Cod liver oil

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

I started my Escitalopram (Cipralex) taper and I have some questions for you.

I had taken 5mg (1/2 pill) for 6 months.

First of all this is how I cut it (20% reduction here. from 5mg to 4mg):2107028605_10cut.thumb.jpg.bb3eee1983e3c06e049aec7a6a97f817.jpg

How original pill looks like (10 mg) :

1341785826_full10mgpill.jpg.cb2a1cca2e76503087a542669faacbdb.jpg

My question basically is :

Is the active ingredient well mixed along the pill so I can just cut the pill with a sharp razor and then scale it ?

Or should I crush it, mix it and take it in a veggie cap (I've done this 2-3 weeks, then I come back to the original cut) ?

27/04/21 Escitalopram x 2.5mg Clonazepam 0.375 mg | 14/05/21 Escitalopram x 5mg Clonazepam x 0.5 mg | 30/05/21 Escitalopram x 7.5mg Clonazepam x 0.375 mg | 14/06/21 Escitalopram x 10mg Clonazepam x 0.25 mg | 27/08/21  Escitalopram x 5mg Clonazepam x 0.5 mg |

28/08/21 Escitalopram x 5mg Clonazepam x 0.475 mg | 04/09/21 Escitalopram x 5mg Clonazepam x 0.4 mg | 09/09/21 Escitalopram x 5mg Clonazepam x 0.35 mg | 14/09/21  Escitalopram x 5 mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 14/10/2021 Escitalopram x 4mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 22/10/21 Escitalopram x 4.5mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 19/11/21 Escitalopram x 4mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 29/12/21 Escitalopram x 3.92 mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 2/1/2022 Escitalopram x 3.84 mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 7/1/2022 Escitalopram x 3.76 mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 7/1/2022 Escitalopram x 3.76 mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 17/05/22  Escitalopram x 3.36 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 12/06/22 Escitalopram x 2.92 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 01/08/22 Escitalopram x 2.61 mg Diazepam x 14 mg |  29/08/22 Escitalopram x 2.46 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 1/11/22 Escitalopram x 2 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 28/11/22 Escitalopram x 1.61 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 09/01/23 Escitalopram x 1.30 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 09/02/23 Escitalopram x 1 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 09/03/23 Escitalopram x 0.76 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 09/04/23 Escitalopram x 0.54 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 08/05/23 Escitalopram x 0.31 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 06/06/23 Escitalopram x 0.15 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 04/07/23 Lexapro FREE Diazepam x 14 mg | 10/09/23 Lexapro FREE Diazepam x 13 mg | 02/10/23 Diazepam x 12 mg |  23/10/23 Diazepam x 10 mg | 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/20/2021 at 9:51 PM, lex1989 said:

Is the active ingredient well mixed along the pill so I can just cut the pill with a sharp razor and then scale it ?

Yes the active ingredient is fairly evenly distributed throughout a tablet.  And it would need to when a tablet has the groove for splitting the tablet.

On 10/20/2021 at 9:51 PM, lex1989 said:

Or should I crush it, mix it and take it in a veggie cap

See this topic where Brassmonkey talks about how he would crush x number of tablets and have that as a stockpile and take his powder from that and weigh it.

using-a-scale-to-weigh-and-measure-doses

The important thing is to choose one method and stick to it.  So you wouldn't take a tablet for a few days, then a homemade capsule containing crushed tablet for a few and then go back to tablet.

Please see this topic about changing from one form to another:

cross-over-changing-form-eg-tablet-to-liquid-of-drug-or-changing-brand-of-same-drug

Thanks for the info ChessieCat

Indeed I did a rollover from 5mg (half of 10mg tablet) to capsule with powder (like Brassmonkey) than again I changed to tablet when I cut to 4 mg. 

The cross over link seems to relate to tablet to liquid or brand, for me was the case just to cross over from tablet to powder in capsule. You think this might be an issue in this case ? It's still the same amount. 

27/04/21 Escitalopram x 2.5mg Clonazepam 0.375 mg | 14/05/21 Escitalopram x 5mg Clonazepam x 0.5 mg | 30/05/21 Escitalopram x 7.5mg Clonazepam x 0.375 mg | 14/06/21 Escitalopram x 10mg Clonazepam x 0.25 mg | 27/08/21  Escitalopram x 5mg Clonazepam x 0.5 mg |

28/08/21 Escitalopram x 5mg Clonazepam x 0.475 mg | 04/09/21 Escitalopram x 5mg Clonazepam x 0.4 mg | 09/09/21 Escitalopram x 5mg Clonazepam x 0.35 mg | 14/09/21  Escitalopram x 5 mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 14/10/2021 Escitalopram x 4mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 22/10/21 Escitalopram x 4.5mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 19/11/21 Escitalopram x 4mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 29/12/21 Escitalopram x 3.92 mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 2/1/2022 Escitalopram x 3.84 mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 7/1/2022 Escitalopram x 3.76 mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 7/1/2022 Escitalopram x 3.76 mg Clonazepam x 0.3 mg | 17/05/22  Escitalopram x 3.36 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 12/06/22 Escitalopram x 2.92 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 01/08/22 Escitalopram x 2.61 mg Diazepam x 14 mg |  29/08/22 Escitalopram x 2.46 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 1/11/22 Escitalopram x 2 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 28/11/22 Escitalopram x 1.61 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 09/01/23 Escitalopram x 1.30 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 09/02/23 Escitalopram x 1 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 09/03/23 Escitalopram x 0.76 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 09/04/23 Escitalopram x 0.54 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 08/05/23 Escitalopram x 0.31 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 06/06/23 Escitalopram x 0.15 mg Diazepam x 14 mg | 04/07/23 Lexapro FREE Diazepam x 14 mg | 10/09/23 Lexapro FREE Diazepam x 13 mg | 02/10/23 Diazepam x 12 mg |  23/10/23 Diazepam x 10 mg | 

• Moderator Emeritus
57 minutes ago, lex1989 said:

The cross over link seems to relate to tablet to liquid or brand, for me was the case just to cross over from tablet to powder in capsule. You think this might be an issue in this case ? It's still the same amount. 

It is applicable to your situation.  The cross over topic is about changing "form" of the drug.

In your case you are changing the form of the drug.  That is you are changing from solid tablet to crushed/powdered tablet.  The delivery to your body is different.  The solid tablet might take longer than the crushed tablet to enter your system.

The cross over is not something that has to be done.  It is a suggestion.  It is gentler on your system.  Some members are sensitive to changes, some are very sensitive and there a few who are extremely sensitive.

Thank you very much, I think this is one of the reasons I had problems in the last few days, along with the cut and some stress.

I will get back to powder in capsule (like I did for the last 20 days).

• 5 months later...

Hello fellow Lexapro taper-ers. Can anyone advise me on what's a good end game plan for Lexapro? I'm using the brassmonkey microtaper schedule and am approaching the 1 mg mark. From there I was planning to go to 0.75, 0.5, 0.25, then 0, holding each at 6 weeks. I'm so ready for this toxic sh*t to be out of my body!

What's the recommended end game plan and "jump off" dose?

2013-2015: paroxetine, with brief switch to sertraline, and brief combo with bupropion  • 2015: got off all antidepressant meds for approx 9-12 months, felt great 2015: fluoxetine, bad side effects, quit after two weeks 2015: escitalopram 15mg/day Summer 2019: attempted fast taper off escitalopram, reinstated to 15mg/day dose after six weeks • October 16, 2020: begin taper off escitalopram at rate of 1mg per 1 week (sometimes per 2 weeks) using 1mg/ml liquid from pharmacy • Jan 22, 2021: down to 3mg and holding due to worsening of WD symptoms • Feb 4, 2021: updose to 4mg holding • Feb 2021: tapering at 10% every 28 days Jul 2021: begin using microtaper of 2.5% per week Feb 2022: down to 1.43mg and experiencing worsening WD symptoms, updose to 1.45mg and holding • Mar 2022: resume microtaper schedule, lowest dose: 1.34 mg • Mar 2022: extended hold at 1.36 mg •Jul 2022: resume 10% taper • Apr 2-Jun 21, 2023 extended hold at 0.5mg • Jun 9, 2023 massive life stress situation triggered WD wave, Jun 15-16 took 5mg dose, Jun 17-21 back to 0.5mg dose • Jun 22 small updose to 0.58mg • Jul 1-2 tried 2.5mg, suffered adverse affects (anxiety, can’t eat, palpitations, electric jolts in chest) • Jul 1, 2023 - Jan 3, 2024 long hold at 1mg, slowly stabilizing after crash • Jan 4 resume taper  0.98mg Jan 11 0.95mg 

Supplements: vitamin D3 with K2, vitamin C, iron, magnesium glycinate, EPA/DHA essentials fish oil, melatonin(as needed)

Other prescription meds: levothyroxine 75 mcg (for hypothyroidism), lorazepam 0.25 to 0.5mg (as needed, which is almost never), zofran 2 to 4mg (as needed) 

@catmama

That is way to fast for the end of a Lexapro taper. It took me 4 years to taper off lexapro and I went too fast.

You may want to read this link:

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy