mombau: Zinger Hell

mombau

I have been on antidepressants for 10+ years

prozac paxil effexor and for the past 7yrs or so cymbalta

I am now in hell

I tapered the cymbalta for 4wks with the zingers, nausea, vertigo

when I got to 20mg after chatting w/ a pharmacist we added prozac 20mg and that worked great!

After 4 wks I was off the cymbalta wo side effects. Continued for 2 more wks of the prozac and then I forgot it one night.

I was actually happy! (language a little colorful and not as patient butthat's OK w/ me.

About 10days out I having serious singers, vertigo nausea and so fuzzy! I could barely function and wasn't sure I should be working(I have to work)It was so bad I wanted to die. Last night I started reading different forums and found this site.

I took 1 of the prozacs and slowly began to feel better. By 2pm today my world was spinning again. I have taken another dose

tonite but and still reeling. I would rather die than start over! I was feeling sooooo good so I know it will be ok if I could just get by through this. I would be so grateful for your help.

antidepressants for the last 10+ years

Cymbalta for the last 6-7yrs

End of feb 13 started taper

From 90mg to 60mg 2wks

60-30 2wks

30-20mg + added prozac 20mg 2wks

stopped cymbalta cont prozac 20mg for 1wk

W/D free for 10 days after which hell came back

Now restarted prozac 20mg for 2days 3/27/13 w/some dec in symptoms but still too evident

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mombau,

Welcome to the forum.

So am I right in assuming that you tapered off Cymbalata over a period of 4 weeks, during which time you introduced Zoloft 2 weeks into the taper?

Then after that you quit the Prozac and now are in day 10 of taking no medication at all?

If this is the case then you are definitely experiencing withdrawal - You may even be experiencing withdrawal both from Cymbalata and from Prozac.

Reinstatement at a partial dose can sometimes help.

What was your original dosage of Prozac?

You say you have taken 2 dosages of Prozac today. What were those dosages?

There's a chance that if you reinstated the full dose this might be too much for your nervous system. You may want to reduce the dosage

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

HI

I tapered the cymbalta for a total of 6wks. I was on 90mg for the last 3 yrs. For the last 2 wks I was taking cymbalta 20mg and I added prozac 20mg for 2wks and then stopped the cymbalta. I continued the prozac alone for 2wks and then stopped it as well. 10days later w/d returned w/ a vengeance

I was only on the prozac to qwell the w/d of the cymbalta so just shy of 4wks

The prozac i took last night and tonite were 2mg doses

From 90mg to 60mg 2wks

60-30 2wks

Now restarted prozac 20mg for 2days 3/27/13 w/some dec in symptoms but still too evident

• Moderator Emeritus

okay,

so you have reinstated a small dose so you've done the right thing in going slowly.

The problem is that you've had so many changes in medication over a short period of time, this can be very destabilizing for your nervous system, so any further additions/subtractions can sometimes make things worse in this case.

Mombau, it may take a couple of days for the reinstatement dosage to kick in.

One of our experts will be along very soon to ask more questions and advise you further.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi mombau,

Welcome! I'm sorry you were hit by WDs.

It sounds like to me that you tapered off Cymbalta way too quickly. Then, you thought if you bridged with Prozac and did a quick taper off it you would escape withdrawals.

We usually only recommend bridging as a last resort. Many people think because of Prozac's longer half-life there are no withdrawals from it, that is not true.

Bridging with a new drug, in this case Prozac, does work for some people but must also be tapered off slowly as well.

Cymbalta, 90mg is a big dose to have tapered so quickly! Also, you were on it for quite a while, it's possible to have WDs even when switching to a new drug, especially when you've been on a large dose and for a few years on that drug.

We don't understand why some are hit with WD much later than others but it happens in many instances. It's possible, too, that the Prozac did cushion the WDs from Cymbalta.

It takes four or five days for the medicine to reach a steady level in the blood. With all the changes your CNS has been through, it may take a little longer to stabilize.

I hope you feel better real soon!

• Administrator

Welcome, mombau.

I think you must have reinstated 20mg Prozac for the last 2 days?

What are your symptoms now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank You so much for the replies.

Well, have taken the 20mg prozacs the last 2 evenings. I am fuzzy, vertiginous, zinging and heavy hearted :( Not too bad in the am but the symptoms get worse as the day goes on but wax and wane.

It's 330pm here and I've bee wanting to lie down for 2hrs

From 90mg to 60mg 2wks

60-30 2wks

and yes gold star that was my thought process

It's very disheartening but I realize now this is going to be a much long haul than I anticipated

From 90mg to 60mg 2wks

60-30 2wks

Now I don't know if I should cont w/ the prozac or back to the cymbalta?

I can't take much more of this. My life is on hold because I feel to lousy and can't think straight

From 90mg to 60mg 2wks

60-30 2wks

• Administrator

If I were you, I'd take 10mg Prozac instead of 20mg. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/ for pointers on how to take a reduced dosage. Making a liquid is the most precise way.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Since I have taken now 3 days of the 20mg Prozac, trying to regulate, will going down to 10mg for tomorrow's dose cause me a problem next week?

CJ

From 90mg to 60mg 2wks

60-30 2wks

• Administrator

Hopefully it will be more tolerable.

• 2 months later...

Well I posted 3-4ms ago > i weaned off cymbalta (90mg for years it seems) added prozac to help which I think it did. I got to prozac 2ml every other day  for 2 wks the went off. 1 wk later started wihdrawing w/ sudden vertigo making me barf, zingers and just plain feeling sh*tty. I went back on a couple weeks ago first 1ml daily now 2 mls daily (about 4mg), i am such a mess soooooo angry, up and down, just wish I could die!!!!! This sucks, i'm gojng to be stuck "on drugs" w/ all the side effects the rest of my life. My kids are the only reason I wont crawl in a hole. I'm sure I  could read the endless posts and advice on this page and find a helpfulcomment, but there is too much to sift through

From 90mg to 60mg 2wks

60-30 2wks

Hang in there mombau,

someone will come along to help you.

I am sorry you are going through a tough time..But you are here, where you will be met with knowledge and support.

Wishing you wellness,

Lexi

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.