branl: Citalopram? 1 month off

branl

I am having some horrible feelings, I been off citalopram for around a month and feel awful. I came off very slow, I was on them for 6 years

Is it normal to still feel depressed after a month? I toke over 7 months to come off from 40mg and everything was done correct.

Surely my brain chemicals have gone back to normal! So why do I feel very depressed again? The whole reason for coming off these is I wanted to see what I was like off them, as people say ssri fix you, but they havent fix a thing, instead I feel worse now than I did before I went on them?

Whats happening?

It was weird symptoms, Not nice at all. Almost like I have been mummy cuddled by them and now realization has hit me aswell as feelings.

I have also come of Lamotrigine which I toke for depersonalization disorder

• Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like you came off the medicines faster than your system was happy with. Did you come off both at the same time or did you finish one taper before starting to taper the other?

Do you have any of the meds left?

What Mg was you on of each?

If you will, please add your drug history in signature like so:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, branl,

Even though you took 7 months to come off citalopram it was still an incredibly fast taper, which is why you're feeling the way you do now.

You were taking 40mg which is the higher end of the dosage and as Tezza already said, we recommend no more that 10% taper per month.

You may want to reinstate a small dose of the citalopram to see if that eases the symptoms.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******