☼ beconscious: Greetings All!

beconscious

A quick check-in as we get into the fullness of the Christmas season.

All is good. I have been imbibing more frequently and have noticed almost no negative effects to having beer. My consumption of sugary treats and caffeine has also increased and I can see great tolerances for these unhealthy good choices.

I'll be pacing myself for the holidays but am truly appreciating the resilience of a healed/healing body and mind.

My only remaining complaint is the absence if deep good emotions, as I'm still relatively flat (which could be a good thing after all). If I reflect back on moments if life where my emotions were intense it was likely due to poor lifestyle choices. Perhaps now in my mid thirties this state of mind is a great achievement.

I picked up my PS3 gaming console that was dormant for years and found myself guitar hero-ING with enthusiasm. This is something I haven't been interested in at all for several years. Perhaps a signal that hobbies and interests are on the horizon?

I had nothing in mind to share here but for continued encouragement, as I remember myself 19 months ago in the darkest and scariest of places, for those who are in that place, or recovering remember: there is life again, and you will enjoy it once more.

The best of wishes for you all who are struggling. May your holidays be full of renewed hope and continued healing.

As I said in 2012 "2013 will be the best year yet. And so 2014 will be that much more.

2008 Feb- 1MG Ativan As Needed

2010 Tolerance Withdrawal to Ativan begins. Source unrecognized.

2011 Fall Began Attempting to Come off Ativan 1 week taper as advised by doctor. Increase to 1mg Daily.

2012 January nervous breakdown symptoms. Source unrecognized. Withdrawal symptoms.

2012 May stopped Ativan cold turkey. Severe wd symptoms occurred by end of month.

2012 July 21st 50MG of Pristiq

2013 February 5 week increase to 100MG

2013 March tapered down from 100MG to 50MG in 2 weeks.

2013 March 27th first day of alternate day taper of 50mg to 0mg.

2013 March 13th first 2

2013 April 26th first 3

2013 May 1 first 4-day

2013 May 18th Last 50MG of Pristiq. Ever. Entirely drug free.

• Administrator

And best wishes of the season to you, beconscious.

It may take some time for the depth of emotions to come back. Take care of yourself, and you'll be coming back to tell us your success story.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thaak you BC, keep us posted we NEED stories like yours, very best to you also

SC

May 2001 - age 24 given 20 mg seroxat. Tried to reduce myself after a year. Told by GP to take on alternate days and I would be fine. FAIL. Assumed 'wrong time' due to university stress and that my 'depression' must be worse than I thought.

Increased dose to 30 mg December 2002. Tried the same technique as before to reduce- made it down to a quarter tablet but couldn't stand symptoms, had a sneaking suspicion that it was due to tablets but never considered dependency - 'depression is a diseased brain after all' (is what I was told)

Continued until October 2010 - tried to CT and managed to last five months - assumed the depression was really bad but had no understanding of the reason for awful anxiety. Ran back to GP started Prozac- went crazy thought I was going to die. Stopped Prozac after two weeks.

April 2010 Started sertraline. Stablished but felt numbed.

September 2010 Asked for seroxat again. Upped my dose to 30 after three weeks. Felt hyper, caffeinated, but functional. Glad to be over what I thought was 'depression'..

Realised it is the meds, want to be free at last - July 2012 started 10% taper from original dose and took supplements. Took suppliments sporadically and despite the temptation the taper, wanted it 'over with'. Taper took exactly six months and 10 days.

Reductions were as follows:
First 2 weeks- 27 mg
Next 2- 24mg
Next 2- 21 mg
Next 2- 18mg
Next 2 15 mg
Next 2 12 mg (held for four weeks due to house move from London back to Ireland)
Next 2 weeks- 9 mg
Next 2 weeks- 6 mg
Next 2- weeks 3 mg
Next 2 weeks 1.5 mg (held for 5 weeks as scared)
10th February 2013 Jumped to zero

Within 3 weeks sadness, led to anxiety.  Restarted suppliments - helped a bit.  Stressful move to London. A lot of fatigue and DEEP emotions. Crying LOTS. Took suppliments on and off, moved back to Ireland after being back in London for only eight weeks as felt too sad and unsettled. 

No suppliments when moved back.  Unhappy at being back, scared I wouldn't ever find happiness - deep deep sadness, anger, STUPIDLY went back to doctor and decided I must just be a 'depressive'.  Given Citalopram/Celexa 20mg.

Took it for seven days, changed my mind, decided to be 'strong' and put it behind me. (No particularly adverse effects that I recall, save for day 5 having inner vibrations in arms and legs) Still had pack of tablets however and every time emotions got hard felt I had to 'go back onto tablets'.  I did this from July until November. (On them off them on them off them) ........

Started to get body vibrations and told myself it was 'anxiety' and I was 'giving myself panic attacks.  I continued to cry as I 'started' the tablets again and again - not wanting to go back there but not sure what else to do. 

More vibrations - but didn't make the connection that I had a compromised CNS -  thought it was anxiety....chest started to pound in Sept, vibrations continued...lost weight, became anxious, sleep was awful and I tried a variety of remedies to replace the tablets and calm my anxiety and lift my mood.  I think they made things worse.

(These included, St.Johns Wort, Rescue Remedy, Homeopathic treatments, Chinese herbs, Passiflora, and suppliments from the online company who state they are experts in assisting people get off meds)

Also did the following:

Talking therapy

Human Givens Therapy

Homeopathy

Narcotics Anonymous

October 23rd took Citalopram (20mg) for 12 days - no relief

November 6th Started Seroxat 10 mg (to be safe) stupidly upped to 20 the next day.

Stayed on 20 for 18 days, no relief, stopped for two days suddenly, relief came - short lived, vibrations and torture came after 72 hours.  Suicidal for days.  Upped to 30 thinking it would improved.  Even more suicidal.  Dropped to 20 again (December 9th) not suicidal, but not better. Started liquid 28th December reduced to 18 mg in effort to reduce and stabilise.  Don't know where to go from here.  Living with parents who are supportive beyond words.

Sweetcreature

• Moderator Emeritus

dear BC,

I have read your tread from the beginning till the end and it is really very interesting and your determination most impressive.

Thank you also for updating us on your progress so that we could benefit from your experience.

What struck me most in your story is that you proceeded with the plan that you were here strongly advised against and warned about dreadful consequences many people here experience (including me).

At first it might seem that your example proves the philosophy of this site wrong but rather I'd say it is an exception that confirms the rule.

Just talking about myself, I simply don't have that much stamina and endurance with exercising, eating healthily,supplementing, controlling stress...

Also there is a difference in our life circumstances and most importantly I think our psychological make up and traumas I endured since early childhood.

That are just some of the things that come to my mind when trying to explain why something that worked for you might not work for most of us here...

I very much look forward to your future updates and wish you all the best on your very inspiring journey!

Best,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• 2 weeks later...

Emerging from the other side if the holiday season I have been enjoying 8-10 hour sleeps these past 2 weeks. Although the added stress of ever-present (not the gift kind) family, and very poor eating choices, increase in alcohol consumption, too many errands and high emotions of the season: elevated cortisol and experiencing high-alertness. also had a few not-quite zaps and the physical tension has caused fatigue. I almost collapsed at the grocery store checkout but was able to bring myself down and conserve what little energy I had left. Made the mistake of rushing a hot yoga class this week too. This morning after a sugar binge I experienced a moment of despair and panic I have not seen in some time. I'll be trimming my to-do list and really focusing in resting for the remainder of the week/weekend. Sugary treats met the garbage today. The binge is over. The abuse of the body and mind is over :)

Interesting libido levels middle of the night - my poor wife :). I still attribute my worst times to coincide with lunar cycles.

Action items for this week: be gentle, focus on compassion, rest, eat well, breath.

PS thanks to all who continue to read and support and challenge me. I recognize this approach and philosophy does not resonate with everyone although one thing I think we all share is determination. My next imaginary mile marker is February 18th - the 9 month post SNRI.

2011 Fall Began Attempting to Come off Ativan 1 week taper as advised by doctor. Increase to 1mg Daily.

2012 January nervous breakdown symptoms. Source unrecognized. Withdrawal symptoms.

2012 May stopped Ativan cold turkey. Severe wd symptoms occurred by end of month.

2013 March 13th first 2

2013 April 26th first 3

2013 May 1 first 4-day

• Administrator

Good to hear you're feeling so good you're bothering your wife!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

One month since my last update.

What I had set out to do last month: eat clean again, avoid stimulants, white sugar, fructose and white bleached flour, alcohol.  I was feeling extra depressed, somewhat panicky and an increase in worry, intrusive thinking. I attributed this all to my Christmas binge (in addition to being in month 19 from my Benzo CT withdrawal, and month 7 from a yo-yo Pristiq withdrawal).

I did exactly that, was extra gentle with myself, avoiding glowing screens, and picking up a yoga class once each week. The cleanest of eating was achieved.

Week 1 was terrible, with mood swings, irritability, mild rage and anger, and some moments of noticeable exhaustion.  As week 2 and 3 came and went I began to realize the fruits of my labor. The depression and worry lifted, my irritability and anger faded away.  I was reaping the benefits of eating moderately and variably (some days consistently every few hours, while others I was doing intermittent fasting, although not on purpose).  Increase and heavily weighted on healthy fats and by the fourth week something new was happening.  During this recovery period I began to have new feelings and sensations that I haven't had in about 2-3 years. Going to sleep at night I would awake about 1-2 hours later with a pleasant alertness (having completed a 90 minute circadian cycle) and laying in bed felt my heart rate slightly increased, then followed my breath.  I was on the verge of an unprompted and unsolicited orgasm.  Yep. Never got "there" but I was feeling good, and with a nice accompaniment of emotions. Thursday or Friday of last week I was awake late in the evening, and while drifting in and out of sleep I felt a sensation - the sort you experience when your sinuses begin to clear and you can breath clearly - but in my brain.  A bubble poppy clearing sound, and then emotions. Good emotions the way I remember, the way they felt before the benzo induced depression.  And there they stayed. Not the sudden good feelings I experienced throughout recovery - those kind that made me worry. These were a pleasant normal collection of feelings of Winnie-The-Pooh lip smacking wellness.  They followed me through the weekend, and into the afternoon today.  I feel like I have truly turned another corner in this process.  Normal good feelings. Perhaps they are back for good.  I will stick to this new eating routine and help preserve them as long as I can.

I knew I could get here, even if this is only a temporary and small gain. One of my last symptoms to resolve were the lingering emotional numbness, and now I have a glimpse. Or maybe I have arrived.  The hard work is worth it.  I think that with Spring now on the (distant) horizon I may have seen the last of this crappy depression.  Imagine, a summer that I can feel alive again. :)

2013 March 13th first 2

2013 April 26th first 3

2013 May 1 first 4-day

• Moderator Emeritus

Wonderful news! Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Amazing. Please add to this new topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5737-what-does-healing-from-withdrawal-syndrome-feel-like/

Everyone will want to know what healing feels like for you.

• 4 weeks later...

March Update:

This past month has been just fine.  I am consistently in a place where nothing is happening really. Enduring the winter, and Seasonal Affective Disorder is barely noticeable this year compared to last. I have rarely touched my blue light.

What I'm describing here is that my current baseline is a sense of "nothingness". The good high emotions and feeling still have yet to return, but the floor has been raised so high now that my 'windows' are now moments of elatedness. 

My latest test was a few days of staying up until 1:00AM, reading and surfing the internet.  The effects of stretching my sleep cycle were mild and barely noticeable.  

I have put many miles between me and the days of withdrawal.  I haven't decided whether I am completely healed yet, but I can say that I enjoy life almost all of the time now.  The spring, I think will offer the greatest sense of recovery as energy boosts and with it mood and stamina.

I think about those deep in withdrawal often, whether it be from a cold turkey, or a slow and agonizing taper.  Hang in there, your life will be new again.

2013 March 13th first 2

2013 April 26th first 3

2013 May 1 first 4-day

I'm so impressed beconscious. Your methodical approach is so sensible and you articulate it so clearly. I'm just beginning, but I really think I need to rethink other parts of my life too, especially in terms of sugar intake, caffeine and exercise.

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 5 weeks later...

April update:

Nothing new to report over the past month.

Emotions and sensations have been quite stable and very neutral.

Diet: I sugar binged just 1 week and could easily see the effects it had on me.  I'm currently on another sugar detox.  I indulged in carbonated beverages once or twice which caused acid reflux and when I awoke with a start because I thought I was dying it took me little to no time at all to calm down.  It was the most severe moment of anxiety that I have had in 18 months and yet I watched as my body and mind very quickly recovered itself, flexing its growing muscle and ability to self soothe.  Favourite foods this month for good feels: Lindt dark chocolate (70% and up, chili chocolate), red green and yellow bell peppers and cucumbers.  A full cucumber and a bell pepper will send serotonin sky rocketing and you'll enjoy a euphoric trip for hours.  Slacking on water.  Fish oils have been almost non-existent and instead I have been relying on coconut oil and avocado oil as well as grass fed butter.  I have moved away from my good eating habits of every 2-3 hours due to a temporary dental treatment plan, and I'm hoping I'll adjust okay to reverting to wild and sporadic eating schedules.

Sleep: I have been staying up late 1 or 2 nights this month, well beyond 2:00AM. Something that could not be done before while in a state of withdrawal. My ability to rebound was stronger than ever and my 15 minute weekday naps took care of the drunken groggy state without much notice.  Day to day sleep has been very good, and the introduction of pillows and a sharp incline has made it even better.

The moon: I have said it before, and I'll say it again.  The new moon (dark moon) brings about such lack of energy and lethargy and conversely/inversely? the full moon keeps me pleasantly awake and aroused at night.  I have begun to build my routine and lifestyle around the lunar phase and the transition has been a perfect reminder to both enjoy good energy and also conserve it.

Activity: we're only just seeing single digit temperatures in my part of Canada and so I have not ventured outside much.  I continue to practice yoga in class once to twice weekly and otherwise chase the daughter around the house, which is sufficient exercise by itself.  The intention is to ramp up as the spring really opens up and as the body signals that even more energy is available to be spent.

Blue light: I have been slacking off on blue light therapy, especially compared how much I was using last year, but I am noticing very little in the way of adverse reactions to less exposure.

I am now approaching month 11 off Pristiq and month 22 off of Ativan.

The only prevailing symptom, if I can call it that, is anhedonia, but then again I could be misinterpreting it for healthy stable feelings, which I may never have experienced in my life until the crisis of medicine.  I suppose our emotional state is all relative.  

I realize this is turning into a diet and exercise report, and is becoming perhaps less useful to those people who are in the throes of withdrawal.  Over the course of this year I may scale back my updates and focus more infrequently on the larger milestones.

Best wishes to all.  You can do this!

Edited to say: I have forgot to mention that my cognitive and troubleshooting ability have increased noticeably.  At work I am venturing into new areas and able to tackle complex problems in ways I had not been able to for years. It was refreshing and encouraging to see growth in this area.  This was a noticeable change since mid February.

2013 March 13th first 2

2013 April 26th first 3

2013 May 1 first 4-day

• 1 month later...

This will be my final update post here on the forum. I consider all of my symptoms to be gone after this two year journey.  This month marks 24 months cold turkey from Ativan, and 12 months off a 3 month taper from Pristiq. It would be difficult to summarize in a final entry the key points and lessons learned in this process, but perhaps there is one key ingredient to successfully making it through this: compassion. Compassion for ourselves, and compassion for others.

I am thankful and happy to be off these drugs, and to have escaped with my life, and sense of well being. So much to be thankful for.

Again, best to all, wherever you are in your journey. You can absolutely do this.

2013 March 13th first 2

2013 April 26th first 3

2013 May 1 first 4-day

• Administrator

Beconscious, that is such very good news. Thank you.

Please don't leave us without summarizing your recovery in our Success Story forum http://tinyurl.com/8uucq38

This will help so many people.

• Moderator Emeritus

beconscious,

Thank you so much for posting your success story. At this point, we staff close your Intro topic, but you are most welcome to continue posting in your success thread. I posted my success story recently and found that there are still some SSRI-related bumps in the road, but increasing contentment and joy as well. You are always welcome to come back and share with us, make comments, or ask questions.

The best of luck and many blessing in the future!  -Jemima

beconscious' success story here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6366-success-beconscious-survives-ativan-and-pristiq/#entry88238

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.