Angel9058 Mirtazapine (Remeron) troubles

Angel7366

Hugs to you Tezza. Hope you are okay xx

2003 - Sept. 2010 Effexor 150mg Fast taper off

April 2011 Massive panic attack, did not relate it to Effexor w/ds

April 2011 - May 2012 Benzodiazapines (Xanax 2mg then Valium 22mg - 2mg)for panic attack. 14 months of benzo withdrawals

April 2011 - October 2012 Effexor 150mg - fast taper off

January 2013 Due to panic feelings (Effexor w/d I now believe) and insomnia, 15mg Mirtazapine prescribed

April 2013 C/T Mirtazapine because of adverse reaction of high anxiety

April 2013 Reinstated 7.5mg - adverse reaction of high blood pressure and palpitations

May 2013 Reduced dose to 6.5mg - trying to stabilise

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Angel7366

• Altostrata

• tezza

• basildev

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I know Alto. Doctors have got me into these messes and I value your expert knowledge and concern especially of you and Tezza.

I asked him to reinstate me low and he wouldn't so am having to suffer the terrible consequences. I hope you will all

April 2011 - May 2012 Benzodiazapines (Xanax 2mg then Valium 22mg - 2mg)for panic attack. 14 months of benzo withdrawals

January 2013 Due to panic feelings (Effexor w/d I now believe) and insomnia, 15mg Mirtazapine prescribed

April 2013 Reinstated 7.5mg - adverse reaction of high blood pressure and palpitations

allow me to continue visiting the site because I do need your support.

I should tell you I am not allowing him to reduce me his way - I have all the stuff I need to fo a liquid taper and I have prepared my taper schedule accordingly. Albeit from 3mg

I hope you undrrstand my position re doctor - I need his prescription and family care do he has to be in on this. But they think they know best.

Thanks

Angel

• Administrator

No, you don't have to take a dosage that's too high, you can make a liquid and figure out what you need.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Again Alto I stress rhat I do no want to follthink I have to stabilise at 7.5mg now don't I as, as you see I have no choice. Slept through hit the first time.

Again Alto I stress that I do no want to follow doctors tapering. i had no control over the starting dose as I explained and I trust the info on this site completely and fully. I don't know what would have happened without the advice and support of everyone here . But it will be a while before I taper then need not consult my doctor at that stage alrhough I will have to put him in the picture of what I am doing obviously. Hence I would value your continued advice. I want to get off these safely and in time.

Although I have had several w/ds since reinstatement last night was the first night I slept naturally and well.

I would appreciate explanation as to how I would know if dose is too high although I guess I have to stick to this dosage now to give reinstatement a chance as you say then reduce eventually by 10%? Is this right please?

Thanks

Angel

• Administrator

Your response was garbled.

What I see is that you are confused and suffering. It's very frustrating to hear you are helpless to help yourself.

You are not getting answers from your doctor, you are trying to get them here. We can't tell you how your treatment will proceed or what you can expect -- as long as you are following your doctor's instructions, you'll have to ask your doctor about that.

You are welcome to participate here, but I suggest you look at how everyone else is dealing with a very similar situation to yours.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

It was garbled because I am typing in my mobile phone so sent first message inadvertently. You can't edit on an iPhone.

Well thanks again for the help I got so far. As you should have noted I made my donation in gratitude a couple of days ago.

Angel

Alto. I know you don't want me to ask another question but I really would be grateful if you or someone else could tell me at what stage right now I can lower the dose and by how much I can stop to or is it too late now and increase length of withdrawals.

I am NOT going to be consulting my doctor further on this and I will be calling the shots as far as rhe medicine and the way i taper is concerned. He is not versed in this I do know this. I was pressured into the 7.5 mg as I explained.

I really hope you will let me stay for support.

Thanks anyway

Angel

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Angel,

I'm sorry you're struggling.

From what I've read, you seem to be sticking to the 7.5mg dose. I'm certainly not an expert, however if I were to give you one piece of advice it would be this:

Choose a dose and stick to it.

You have been given advice by both your doctor and by experts on this forum and I know how hard it is when you're in the midst of such pain and confusion to decide whose advice is a 'sure thing'. Sadly though, there isn't a sure thing. Nobody can tell you for sure whether the decision you make will be the right one.

I've been right where you are - and when I was, I just wanted somebody else to make the decision for me. Alto gave me her advice, as did many knowledgeable people here. I updosed by 11mg in a panic and after 2 weeks of not feeling any better, was desperate for some relief.

At that point in time I decised to reduce my medication by 1 mg and that made things even worse.

So in the end, I decided to trust myself and stick to the original dose no matter what. Hard as that was, slowly and surely, week by week, things got a little better as my CNS began to stabilise. I'm nowhere near where I want to be yet, but things have improved.

The best thing you can do for yourself now is to decide what dose you want to be on and hold that. You HAVE to give your CNS some consistency. Jumping around with doses is the worst thing you can do.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Hi Basildev

Am writing this on a proper laptop so I can make less grammatical and editorial errors which I have been doing in earlier posts from my mobile phone! Am actually not in great distress right now - my husband and family are being very supportive and I will grit this out. It is not pleasant but not comparable to benzo withdrawals. I hope I will soon settle.

I really appreciate your message. It is difficult to know what to do, but you are right in saying I should follow my judgment. I will just have to taper at 10% from 7.5mg (higher than I would have liked) but it's just one of those things.

Sorry to hear you had to updose earlier on but glad you are stable now.

Thanks again for writing.

Angel.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Angel,

It's only morning where I live so I'm just finding your messages. I'm three hours ahead of Alto's time, which means I come on earlier but go off earlier as well.

You will be fine tapering from 7.5mg after you stabilize. Just stay at that dose until you are sleeping well and feeling better all around.

Hugs

Hugs to you too Tezza. Hope you are okay.

Yes will remain on this dose till I stabilise. Then I shall probably leave it for a good few weeks/months before I start on my taper.

More hugs

Angel xx

Alto If you're reading this, I have been reading a lot of your intormation sheets and they are bringing me much comfort. Have been feeling a bit low and disheartened today but I know it's early days..

Thanks!

Angel

• Administrator

Angel, I appreciate your donation.

I am sorry to be short with you. If you read this topic again, you will see we have been going around in circles. This is frustrating to me.

Yes, Angel, we recommend going back on a small dose of the drug rather than trying to wait out withdrawal symptoms -- as we've noted above.

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2028-tips-for-tapering-off-remeron-mirtazapine/ for suggestions on how to measure out small doses.

Thank you Tezza. My doctor was over today and reinstated me on 7.5 mg ....

I am on my 2nd might of 7.5 mg and can't sleep at all. Very restless and hyper.is this normal? You said I could reduce the dose to find one I am comfortable with but I don't know what dose I am comfortable with! How do I find that out?

Can I reduce to say 5mg tomorrow so I can becloser to my tapering point of 3.75 mg or is that a bad idea?....

No, you don't have to take a dosage that's too high, you can make a liquid and figure out what you need.

Note you have been on 7.5mg mirtazapine since April 10 -- FOUR DAYS.

Have your symptoms changed at all since you reinstated?

Hi Angel,

Welcome to the forum.

With all due respect, your doctor is an idiot as Remeron has a reverse dosing mechanism. The higher the dose, the less sedating it is.

Anyway, as one who tapered off of Remeron at a very slow rate, I would strongly urge you to follow Tezza's advice and see if going back to 3.5mg would help. Then taper very slowly from there.

Again, welcome.

CS

Angel... I totally understand why you are being encouraged to stay at 7.5mgs of Remeron for a long while. In most cases that would be the correct advice.

However, as CS states above, "Remeron has a reverse dosing mechanism".

I was recently put on Remeron for Migraines/sleep issues. 7.5mgs made me feel very anxious! I cut that in half (3.5) for a month and during that time felt much better. For various reasons I stopped the Remeron completely about two weeks ago. I feel fine.

I realize we all have different stories and we all react to meds differently. I just think it's important you understand how Remeron differs from other meds so that you can make a decision that is right for you.

Charter Member 2011

My symptoms are nothing as bad as during my C/T - sleeping again, intermittent 'yukky' feeling, waves of nausea and GI - not pleasant but tolerable. A little more intense in the evening but they calm when I take my dose.

As I have never gone through A/D withdrawal before I don't know how the 'healing ' process is supposed to go.

Summer Thank you for your further explanation of Remeron's reverse-dosing mechanism. Initially I didn't fully understand the reasons why I was urged to reinstate lower but now it is as clear as mud.

It makes a lot of sense. When I was on 15mg and I got anxiety and was told I had GAD and it was increased to 30mg I got even more anxiety! I was travelling at the time, couldn't handle it and out of desperation C/T'd which was the worse thing I could have done.

You are lucky to be off it and I hope you remain well.

Angel

I'm feeling better today than I was yesterday - no nausea so far, just "under the weather", still no appetite and a bit tired. But am going out to dinner (not that I'll be able to eat anything) with friends later and am determined to make it through the evening and not think of my symptoms.

Do you think that is a sign that reinstatement may be working?

Thanks

Angel

Ummm, yes! You've moved.from " am I going to live through the night?" (Not that you literally said that) to "I feel better, stronger". Hope you have a great night out!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Lol yes Meime - you were the first to rescue me on that awful night of mine less than a week ago (caused by my own stupidity). Thanks so much for that. I never ever want a repeat of that night.

Angel

• Administrator

Yes, it seems reinstatement is working. If I were you, I'd stay on 7.5mg mirtazapine for maybe a couple of months -- unless there is a dramatic change in your symptoms.

Please read this topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

• Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations Angel!

That is a real breakthrough:)

February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Yes, it seems reinstatement is working. If I were you, I'd stay on 7.5mg mirtazapine for maybe a couple of months -- unless there is a dramatic change in your symptoms.

Please read this topic http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

Thanks very much Alto, will do.

Angel

Congratulations Angel!

That is a real breakthrough:)

Thanks Basildev!!

Just got back from dinner and really enjoyed myself - had weird sensations going on inside but did not focus at all on them. Am hoping things will continue to settle.

• Moderator Emeritus

good for you:)

Don't panic if you have some bad days too - it's to be expected in the early days of stabilising. You've just experienced a 'window'.

Ah okay, I had a window today then. No, I will try not to get discouraged.

Yes thanks so much Tezza. I am definitely not on top form and had a few palpitations so far and still little appetite (forcing myself to eat) but otherwise functionable.

Hope you are doing okay .

Angel x

Is loss of appetite normal and will it come back? Thanks

Palpitations and some anxiety all day today. Not doing as well as yesterday. Does that mean I may not stabilise? Sorry for all these questions.

See your post #99 :). I've read of many people with appetite problems. Me, I can be nauseated and still eat. Heavy (ha, literally) sigh.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Ok thanks Meime :)

I was just reading another post on here on tapering from liquid Mirtazapin and the knowledgable responses. I know I am incredibly premature - I have not even stabilised yet - but to pass time I was working out my taper from liquid Mirtazapine and would like to be clear in my mind for when it happens.

The only size of the liquid Mirt I can get hold 66ml of 15mg strength. The calculation is 0.066ml = 1mg Mirt. So I have done a taper from 4mg (am intending to try to reduce there by 10% or 5%) then reduce by 0.2mg from then onwards. This works out like this: ?mg x 0.066 = the amount I need to take, so, for example 3.02mg Mirt = 0.21ml.

However when I calculate I can't decrease by 0.2mg exactly as, for example 3.78mg right down to 3.64mg = 0.24ml in varying number of decimals after the 0.24ml So basically 0.24ml will be covering in the example I have done, 0.12mg and not 0.2mg and this is more or less the same for each set of 7 or 8 0.2mg reductions.

I just don't know how to get it exact.

I will be happier in my mind if I have my taper chart sorted and would be grateful for anything you can add (if you can understand what I am trying to say!).

Thanks wonderful people!

Angel

Sorry! It's okay. I need to reduce by 0.02 I think and not by 0.2 which means my decreases are well within the range.

• Moderator Emeritus

Palpitations and some anxiety all day today. Not doing as well as yesterday. Does that mean I may not stabilise? Sorry for all these questions.

No, this is a wave. I know it's hard not to get discouraged after you've experienced a window, but this is the nature of recovery.

See below:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/