Angel9058 Mirtazapine (Remeron) troubles

Angel7366

Yes I definitely think you are right and I so regret going on the 7.5mg in the first place. My fault.

I have just measured my blood pressure this evening and it is extremely high so I think I will have to make the cut. I am very worried now. Will this mean that I will be extending w/ds for a long time?

2003 - Sept. 2010 Effexor 150mg Fast taper off

April 2011 Massive panic attack, did not relate it to Effexor w/ds

April 2011 - May 2012 Benzodiazapines (Xanax 2mg then Valium 22mg - 2mg)for panic attack. 14 months of benzo withdrawals

April 2011 - October 2012 Effexor 150mg - fast taper off

January 2013 Due to panic feelings (Effexor w/d I now believe) and insomnia, 15mg Mirtazapine prescribed

April 2013 C/T Mirtazapine because of adverse reaction of high anxiety

April 2013 Reinstated 7.5mg - adverse reaction of high blood pressure and palpitations

May 2013 Reduced dose to 6.5mg - trying to stabilise

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Angel7366

• Altostrata

• tezza

• basildev

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

No, it won't make a difference. If you're having an adverse reaction, reduction is called for.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Ok Alto, thanks very much. Yes my blood pressure reading is off the charts.

How long should I stay at the 6.5mg for to see if it helps?

April 2011 - May 2012 Benzodiazapines (Xanax 2mg then Valium 22mg - 2mg)for panic attack. 14 months of benzo withdrawals

January 2013 Due to panic feelings (Effexor w/d I now believe) and insomnia, 15mg Mirtazapine prescribed

April 2013 Reinstated 7.5mg - adverse reaction of high blood pressure and palpitations

• Administrator

It takes about 4 days for the decrease to fully register in your bloodstream.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Ok thanks very much I will make the decrease tonight.

I'm sorry to ask another question but I just want to be clear. If no change in my blood pressure after a few days with the reduction, do you suggest I decrease again or give it longer? Or should I let you know how I am feeling.

Sorry to hassle you Alto. I am so grateful for your help.

• Administrator

Let us know how you do over the 4 days.

Ok thanks. Very ill here. Feel terrible and I just threw up. I thought it was normal w/ds but have been getting progressively worse.

I can't thank you enough for your advice.

I have now been at the lower dose of 6.5mg for 4 days . The severe burning and strong palpitations settled almost immediately and I felt so much better the day I reduced so I think it was a really good decision to drop.

Since yesterday the true w/ds have started to kick in in earnest: stomach cramps, diarreah, chills, flushes, feeling ill etc.

Obviously these are very uncomfortable and unpleasant but I will hang on until I stabilise then continue with the taper.

Would you agree?

Thanks.

• Administrator

Makes sense to me.

Thanks very much Alto and also for recommending the dosage drop.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please note that the posts regarding similarities between SSRI and benzo withdrawal and various questions regarding benzo withdrawal were moved to the Members Only Benzo Tapering Forum: Similarities In SSRI And Benzo Withdrawal

This thread is Angel's Introductory thread and is primarily for her use regarding her personal journey getting off of psychiatric drugs. The discussion noted above was getting this thread off topic.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thank you Jemima

Day 5 on reduced dose of 6.5mg

My blood pressure is very high again and I am having the burning back. I don't think this drug is good for me on any level.

Has anyone else had these problems with Mirtazapine? I've just taken a beta blocker which is beginning to calm it a bit. My doctor did give me beta blockers to take daily so perhaps I should do so now?

Any advice?

Thank you so much

Angel

• Administrator

I agree with you, Angel. I might think about making .5mg decreases every 5 days until reaching 4.5mg.

Ok will try that.

Thanks Alto.

• Administrator

If you take a beta blocker consistently, plan on tapering off that, too.

Yes am aware of the problems - am really not taking them regularly, just thought today I should start to but will continue to take as needed, then taper off. Thanks.

I took the 6mg last night, slept well but woke up full of terror and anxiey.

We now have a huge family crisis and I don't think I can cope with any extra w/ds right now and as my blood pressure was fairly stable this morning, I decided to take the extra .5 mg first thing to make it up to 6.5 mg again for now.

I haven't had an appetite since my CT and reinstatement on first 7.5mg then 6.5mg. And I feel ill and unfunctionable. I have not stabilised on any dose. Is this normal?

I am worried to do the fast taper to 4.5 mg as we have a major family crisis even though I know the drug does not agree with me. I am worried about big w/ds on top of not feeling well.

The thought of an 18 month taper on a drug which clearly does not agree with me fills me with dread. I feel as if I am between a rock and a hard place with no way out. I so want the drug out my system and to be able to live a normal life.

Any advice please?

My blood pressure read normal today for the first time in ages so have decided to continue on the 6.5mg dose to give it a chance to stabilise.

• Administrator

That might be best -- stick with a stable dosage.

Thanka Alto.

By the way I am seeing Dr Lefever tomorrow although I don't think he will tell me anything in addition to your good advice and what I have learnt since embarking on this nightmare. Will report back.

Incidentally he is very expensive! I made the appointment and then he told me charges £400 an hour. Yikes !!

• Administrator

Double yikes!! Please do tell us what you hear.

• Moderator Emeritus

For that kind of money I'd want magic, not just advice. I recommend you speak really fast

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Dr Lefever was a top GP and head of various GP councils before he relinquished his right 4 years ago to prescribe as he says doctors do not take into account an individual's sensitivity. And medications can cause more harm than good. That we know.

He has founded a first-class treatment centre for addictions and eating disorders.

He could not help me with taper or medication questions but said he could help me with underlying issues of which I have many he says. I told him my main aim was to get off this drug and then I would consider further support.

At £400 a time this is something I would have to consider very carefully!

Was it worth seeing him? Maybe. But there is no magic pill to take away the pain of withdrawals. Am suffering very badly today and my main fear is that I may never stabilise. If I stabilised even once then I would be braver about facing the rest of the taper. But I have to believe I will survive this.

Angel

• Administrator

Angel, I was worried about that. See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/page__view__findpost__p__23929

No doubt you have underlying issues -- who doesn't -- but they are not what's causing your withdrawal symptoms. It's up to you if you want to continue seeing him.

However, he does know prescribers to whom he may refer patients. If you want to work with a prescriber, you should ask Dr. Lefever for such a referral.

Alto

I am having such horrific withdrawals. Have you seen people in my position stabilise or am I doomed? Sorry to be melodramatic but this is the way I am feeling today - like no way out.

• Administrator

Yes, people do recover. Since you went off in early April, you are still in the early acute stage of withdrawal syndrome. You absolutely need to be patient, deal with symptoms minute by minute and hour by hour.

Please phone Dr. Lefever and ask for a referral to a prescriber who can help you with your medications. He at least owes you that much.

Thank you Alto. Just needed to hear that.

Re. Dr Lefever - he explained he was once an alcoholic and that friends of his did not suffer from a lot of drinking but he did as he had a sensitive disposition and he and I were alike as I was sensitive to medication and others are not etc etc. He kept saying he cannot give prescriptions or help with prescriptions and if that is why I was there, then he was not the right person for me. He could look after the other part of me which was not affected by the medication or something. It was all a bit difficult. Yes of course I have issues but, then again, I don't know what I wanted to hear really. I get more support here so I don't think he was the right person for me at this time.

Regarding medication - I guess I could ask him for a referral but he would probably only direct me to an expensive private doctor and expensive private medicine whereas my own GP prescribes on the National Health. Taper help is a matter of common sense I guess, listening to your body and doing the correct reductions.

I tell you who I have found helpful in the UK is the British and District Tranquiliser Project with their own helpline 0117 962 8874. The man who runs the helpline has been doing so for 30 years and says he has 100 new callers a week. I did ring them a while ago and it was a comfort to speak to him, if only for validation reasons. I think that is what we all want really isn't it and why I probably drive everyone mad with my periodical requests!

http://www.btpinfo.org.uk/

Best

Angel

Hi Angel,

sorry things didn't work out for you today. we are all here for you

take care

jojo

trazodone 150mg 2004 Phenergan 25mg.on two to three years thentried tapering on and off till 2010

tried cross tapering with various drugs sertralinre venlafaxine. no go .January 2012 trazodone 150 mg Phenergan 25mg.dropped to 100mg trazodone.april 2012 trazodone 75mg Phenergan 20mg.june 2012 trazodone 50mg Phenergan 17.5mg.jan2013 trazodone liquid method 35mg.used warm water,had it too hot and destroyed active property went into withdrawal as we didn't know whati was actually getting. march 2013 reinstated last dose 50mg capsule trazodone. Phenergan 17.5 mg.back to 75mg 7/05/2013.trazodone 45mg 9/5/13.

• Moderator Emeritus

Alto

I am having such horrific withdrawals. Have you seen people in my position stabilise or am I doomed? Sorry to be melodramatic but this is the way I am feeling today - like no way out.

Yes! It gets better, for everyone.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Thanks Narcissus

I'm terrified. 9 days into new dose of 6.5mg and horrendous withdrawals - mainly waves of panic and fear and nausea with some chest burning

I don't want to change dose but my neighbour who is a doctor is scaring me and indicating I am a lost cause and I may never recover. I am frantic.

The waves are brutal. Please tell me again I am going to okay or not.