Somuchine: Trying to taper, feeling alone and needing some inspiration!

somuchmine

I'm starting the tapering process (have been on 5 mg for 4 days) after having 2.5 weeks without medication because of an insurance screw-up. My original dose was 10mg. The two weeks without medication were awfully hard, but also taught me a lot. Before those two weeks, I wasn't considering going off the meds. But during those two weeks, I noticed I had my self-control about food back (I gained 45 lbs while on Lexapro, tried MANY times to lose the weight and felt like a total failure for being unable to do so.) I also noticed I had energy and didn't want to sleep 14 hours per day (which is what I was doing when on a 10mg daily dose of Lexapro). I noticed I felt like my "old" self - more present, more conscious.

However, I was also devastatingly sad during those weeks, and feel very sad now. Just kind of hopeless. I have been reading Dr. Breggin's "Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal: A Guide for Prescribers, Therapists, Patients and their Families," which is giving me hope that all of this is withdrawal and that some day I can feel okay without medication. I had no idea the medication was screwing with me so much...

I initially went on the medication for anxiety and depression after an abusive relationship. Now I feel like all the medication did was cover up my symptoms. I'm still struggling with everything that happened. I want to find freedom and peace inside and out...

Hoping to find some kindred spirits here... I'm the only one of my friends who struggles with this stuff, so sometimes I feel a bit alone. Everyone else seems to have their life together, and I'm just muddling through the day!

2004-2005: Zoloft 50 mg; tapered off on my own without any problems

2008-Current: Lexapro 10 mg; tried switching to Effexor, then Wellbutrin, then 5 mg Lexapro to counteract weight gain. Felt horrible on those, so back to 10 mg.

Now trying to taper successfully after having to go cold-turkey for 2 weeks because of an insurance screw-up. At 5 mg right now.

Hello Somuchmine, welcome to this site. The sadness most likely is from withdrawal. Have you felt any better since going back to the Lexapro? You'll get lots of expert help and sympathy here. You are not alone in this. Hope you're feeling better today, Benz

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

Hoping to find some kindred spirits here... I'm the only one of my friends who struggles with this stuff, so sometimes I feel a bit alone. Everyone else seems to have their life together, and I'm just muddling through the day!

Hi...feeling the same way, hopeless.

Yes I gained weight on Lexapro. Alot of people do. Did you say the 10mgs. was good for you?

It was a difficult taper for me. Took a long time.

You were probably traumatized by the relationship. Is there someone you can talk to about what happened? It may cut the pain in half.

Maybe you can stay at the 10mgs. and stabilize. Give yourself some time to sort thru what happened and then begin a taper. I used liquid lexapro and was only able to drop 1mg. or a half mg. at a time.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, Somuchmine.

Yes, your feelings of sadness are most likely from withdrawal, especially such an abrupt one. You're doing everything right, though - reinstating at a lower dose and getting involved here. You may need to updose a bit more - perhaps by one milligram - if you don't feel better in the next two or three days. You'll probably be all right, though. I didn't start experiencing withdrawal from Lexapro when I cut from 10 mg. to 5 mg., but cutting the dose in half again (per doctor's instructions) was a great big OUCH and it's still hurting. Whatever you do, take the dose every day. Many doctors will tell you to taper by taking the meds on alternate days, but this advice could not be worse.

It would be a very good idea to get liquid Lexapro if you can. Otherwise, here are instructions for making your own:

How to Make a Liquid from Tablets or Capsules

Also, information on reinstatement:

About Reinstating

I think most of us feel that sense of alone-ness in that it's nearly impossible for others to understand what we're going through however much they may want to help. I'm sixteen months out from a too-fast taper from Lexapro myself, and still feeling the after-effects of deadened senses and being isolated by the experience. This forum has literally been a life-saver for me.

You'll find lots of solid information and gentle, friendly support here. Again, welcome.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.