SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Diets that may cause problems: Restriction, Ketogenic, Raw, Low Carb

Roads

Thank you very much for your time, ChessieCat. 

This is very helpful. <3

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• Moderator Emeritus
26 minutes ago, Ariel said:

Thank you very much for your time, ChessieCat. 

This is very helpful. ❤️

Fortunately I've been able to use information that I am collecting for a few different people.  I've used some of what I've posted here at SA to help a lady at work today with relevant information.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

2 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Fortunately I've been able to use information that I am collecting for a few different people.  I've used some of what I've posted here at SA to help a lady at work today with relevant information.

Hehe, low-carb/keto coach side hustle? 

You are very generous with your time and knowledge!

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

i have been on the Keto Diet for 1 week now...i feel really good, have lost 1.5kg and have cut out all sugar, grains, and eating loads of raw and cooked veggies...for adding fat to my diet i have become addicted to Goats cheese, found some goats cheese $20 a jar with oil and herbs....great for giving taste to salads....i only eat twice a day and so fast for 18 hours a day, do not have cravings anymore as the eating of the fat eg goats cheese and Milk Kefir before bed makes me feel full.....i lived on carbs and constantly couldnt stop thinking about food...especially junk food...and was constantly hungry....i found eating a salad 30 mins before my main meal took away my over eating...my sores on my face have gone away after 3 years, i feel calm, i feel really good, my hot sweats have disappeared, i am not constantly needing to drink sooo much water, i began taking digestive enzymes to help me digest the fat and proteins so i feel i am actually receiving the nutrients from the food i eat...which is probably why i feel i do not feel i need to keep eating as i feel my body is getting what it actually needs...i also eat Kimchi and add sauerkraut to my meals also...stomach feels great, no craving for alcohol...i know magnesium is good to help you relax but am finding potassium is really good for relaxing the body too...my mood is really good, brain fog has lessened alot and feel more clear..the pain in the feet, ankles and legs have drastically reduced also....when your not in pain...you naturally feel happier...sooo it is working for me....i eat 7 cups of vegies a day 1/2 raw. 1/2 cooked, protein size of my palm and i eat goat's cheese with salad and glass of milk kefir at night, electrolytes, butter on my cooked veggies..all is good at present with the diet... 

Cipramil  40mg  1996 to Oct 2017 stopped cold turkey

Only on Zyprexa from now on :   10mg solid form 1998 to Oct 2017

7.5mg solid form  Oct 2017 to Oct 2019 5mg solid form  Oct 2019 to Apr 2020

3.75mg solid form Apr 2020 to May 2020 2.5mg solid form  May 2020 to Feb 2021 2.5mg solid 3/4 and 1/4 liquid w/ 5mls water 6th Feb 2021 to 2nd Apr 2021 2.5mg 1/2 solid and 1/2 liquid w/10mls water 3rd Apr to 26th Jun 2021

2.5mg dissolved in 25mls of water from 27th Jun 2021 to 22nd Oct 2021 2.5mg 1/2 solid, 1/2 dissolved in 10mls of water from 23rd Oct 21 to 7th Feb 2022 water titrating from 7th Feb 2022 to 13 Aug 2022:  2.2425mg

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, morgana said:

i have been on the Keto Diet for 1 week now...i feel really good

That's good to hear.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I've been following the keto diet for about 11 months now and I'm loving it. It was tough to get started, but I got into a rhythm within the first few weeks and it's been pretty easy since then. I focus on real, whole foods and try to only have substitutes (protein bars, shakes, etc) sparingly. I've lost over 30 lbs, dropped 7" off my waist circumference, I'm no longer diabetic or have to take metformin, and withdrawal has been mostly tolerable throughout all of this. My energy levels are significantly improved, along with my self confidence and sex drive. I don't do fasting. I tend to wake up pretty hungry most days, so I practice intuitive eating and just listen to my body's cues for when to eat and stop eating. I also weightlift five times a week.

Keto is definitely not for everyone. And there is a lot of bad info out there. (Butter in your coffee - yuck, don't do it.) But it can be very beneficial, especially if you're looking to balance your blood sugar. I noticed in the past that with a carb-heavy diet, my blood sugar would constantly fluctuate. This would cause feelings of anxiety and mimic/exacerbate withdrawal symptoms like dizziness and fatigue. 

If anyone has any questions about it, please feel free to ask me. 

2013-2015: paroxetine, with brief switch to sertraline, and brief combo with bupropion  • 2015: got off all antidepressant meds for approx 9-12 months, felt great 2015: fluoxetine, bad side effects, quit after two weeks 2015: escitalopram 15mg/day Summer 2019: attempted fast taper off escitalopram, reinstated to 15mg/day dose after six weeks • October 16, 2020: begin taper off escitalopram at rate of 1mg per 1 week (sometimes per 2 weeks) using 1mg/ml liquid from pharmacy • Jan 22, 2021: down to 3mg and holding due to worsening of WD symptoms • Feb 4, 2021: updose to 4mg holding • Feb 2021: tapering at 10% every 28 days Jul 2021: begin using microtaper of 2.5% per week Feb 2022: down to 1.43mg and experiencing worsening WD symptoms, updose to 1.45mg and holding • Mar 2022: resume microtaper schedule, lowest dose: 1.34 mg • Mar 2022: extended hold at 1.36 mg •Jul 2022: resume 10% taper • Apr 2-Jun 21, 2023 extended hold at 0.5mg • Jun 9, 2023 massive life stress situation triggered WD wave, Jun 15-16 took 5mg dose, Jun 17-21 back to 0.5mg dose • Jun 22 small updose to 0.58mg • Jul 1-2 tried 2.5mg, suffered adverse affects (anxiety, can’t eat, palpitations, electric jolts in chest) • Jul 1, 2023 - Jan 3, 2024 long hold at 1mg, slowly stabilizing after crash • Jan 4 resume taper  0.98mg Jan 11 0.95mg 

Supplements: vitamin D3 with K2, vitamin C, iron, magnesium glycinate, EPA/DHA essentials fish oil, melatonin(as needed)

Other prescription meds: levothyroxine 75 mcg (for hypothyroidism), lorazepam 0.25 to 0.5mg (as needed, which is almost never), zofran 2 to 4mg (as needed) 

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, catmama said:

I've been following the keto diet for about 11 months now

Fantastic.  It's been 8.5 months for me now.  I'm looking forward to getting a scan of my liver and pancreas done when I reach the 1 year mark.  I have several scans so we will be able to see the comparison.

Butter in your coffee - yuck, don't do it

I agree!

There are some people who do need to increase the fat they eat, eg consume nuts, if they reach their ideal weight and continue to lose more which would be too much.

I don't do fasting.

I don't either.  I cannot see the need for it, at least for me.  And I've learned recently from a food addiction doctor, who herself suffers from food addiction (Dr Tarmin - Adapt Your Life youtube channel), that fasting is not a good idea for food addicts.

I focus on real, whole foods and try to only have substitutes (protein bars, shakes, etc) sparingly.

Dr Eric Westman (Adapt Your Life) differentiates by calling them prescription keto (real foods which are low in carb) and internet keto (bullet proof coffee, fat bombs, and all the other fancy add ons).

The only thing that I've added in is 2T of whey protein concentrate (I cannot get whey protein isolate at a reasonable cost) because I don't eat a lot of meat and I want to make sure I get enough protein.

• 9 months later...
  • Mentor

I have been doing Keto for a couple years now and things were going great...that is, until my body went into withdrawal.   Since then, I've noticed the lower my carbs are and the closer I get into ketosis, the worse my anxiety gets.  My heart starts pumping really fast and I feel horrible.  I think Alto had mentioned that ketosis can raise adrenaline.  I had never heard this before, but I have to say I think she may be right.  So I decided to add back in some low-glycemic complex carbs and have noticed that I feel much calmer and less anxious.  I hear a lot of people say that the Keto diet has really helped them in withdrawal, but in my case unfortunately I must keep myself out of ketosis in order to feel okay.  I'm trying to find the right amount of carbs to add...not too much and not too little.  I also did research on the top foods that fight anxiety and have been trying to incorporate as many of these as possible.  I just wanted to share my experience in case there is anyone else who may benefit from this information.  

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself for two years

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

• 4 weeks later...
  • Mentor

I just did some research, and when you lower your carbs it can get your electrolytes out of balance, which can lead to heart palpitations.  Hence, they recommend adding more salt, magnesium, and potassium...but especially salt.

So I am going to try especially adding more Pink Himalayan Salt to my beverages and see if this resolves the problem.  I really don't want to give up Keto because it has so many benefits.

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself for two years

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)

• 1 month later...

Any advice on cheese and cured meats?

Are those something most people find generally safe/tolerable?

I started feeling a tad worse after indulging in a little bit of Brie and some cold meats for dinner.
Could it be histamine? I am only 2/3 months off Mirtazapine...

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

Interested in what success others have had with a ketogenic diet to help symptoms

2003 Paxil - I can't remember the dose but I think it was 10mg  experienced  horrendous akathisia when starting for 3 weeks then okay 

2004.  slow reduction to 0 , withdrawal symptoms, so reinstated to 10mg - again horrendous Akathisia which lasted 5 weeks.
2005 - attempted to slowly taper off and again  Terrible withdrawal so reinstated and endured akathisia until it settled. Psychiatrist changed me over to

Zoloft so that I could have another baby. No adverse reaction with the switch except terrible diorreah

2006   tried once more to come off Zoloft carefully with terrible results. reinstated Zoloft and used 2.5 mg of zyprexa to help Akathisia- horrid episode                             lasted 3 months with some akathisia and severe depression which I’d never had before. Withdrawal from zyprexa ( depression) 

2008  50 mg of Zoloft then after 6 months I tapered to 25 mg and decided to stay there . 

2012 stress event and peri menopause acute anxiety which led to, updosing to 125 mg, tortuous symptoms(akathisia) then stabilized,  back to 50 mg-

2014 - same again  down to 25 with Akathisia on updosing and a hospital visit. 

2019 - 2023 Zoloft tapering by 2 mg linear taper every 3 months started at 50 mg, got to 25 mg around January 2023.  June 2023- health anxiety and what feels like withdrawal again.  Insomnia, anxiety, blunted good feelings.

2023 June- Zyprexa taken twice, ativan 1 mg taken once, temazepan infrequent but 15- 18th of June used for 4 nights

2023 August - introduced 7.5 mg of mirtazapine for 12 days then 15mg of mirtazapine. Sleep now ok but daily life depression, anhedonia, agitation and a weird feeling of being sedate and anxious at the same time. Currently holding.

My introduction thread: Jaffa: Possibly late onset withdrawal

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

Okay, so I have come to the conclusion that for me I must keep myself out of ketosis.  My main symptom during withdrawal has been anxiety, and I am finding that the deeper I get into ketosis the worse my anxiety gets and then I have trouble sleeping.  Unfortunately, it's too activating for my system.  I'm really bummed about this because it really helps to keep my weight down, but at this point I'd rather gain a few pounds if it means I feel better.  

So I plan on doing a modified keto diet where it's still lower carb, but not so low that it puts me into ketosis.  I will have to continually monitor the situation by how I feel along with checking my urine using keto strips to make sure I'm not in ketosis.

It's really important that I figure this out because I cannot continue my journey off ADs if I am in a constant activated state due to ketosis.  Everyone needs to find out what works for their own body in regard to withdrawal.

I hope this information will help someone else who is struggling with the same thing. 

P.S.  The Outro website mentions the Mediterranean diet.  I might look into this as well.  https://learn.outro.com/c/resources/mediteranean-diet-tips

Interview with Chris Palmer by Dr.Witt-Doerring.

Summary;

- For protracted withdrawal sleep is key; at least 7-8 hours.

- Tapering off all psychotropics is key.

- No substances (alcohol, pot).

- Modified keto diet recommended, between 1.5 and 4 ketones.

I was surprised at this as I know keto has mixed reviews for ADR and protracted withdrawal/ neurological issues given what I have learned in the forum.

December 2021 - Metoclopramide started. Akathisia symptoms start; Metoclopramide gets changed to PRN.

March 2022 - Akathisia diagnosed; Metoclopramide stopped; Propranolol 10mg x twice a day. Biperiden PRN (0.5mg to 1mg).

April 2022 - Tandospirone 30mg (10mg 3x day), Quetiapine 25mg (only taken once, immediate adr). Mirtazapine 7.5mg. . Discontinued Propranolol.

May 2022 - Mirtazapine upped to 15mg. Tandospirone cut to 2x 10mg. Low dose Depakote for the month; 100 to 200 to 100 to 0. Mirtazapine cut back to 11.75mg (3/4 of a 15mg pill).
June 2022 - Mirtazapine updose to 15mg. Tandospirone, Biperiden discontinued. Klonopin started PRN (0.5mg). 
September 2022 - Akathisia slowly starts improving, WD/ADR normal sets in in mid September. Hold for 4 months.
March 2023 - Off mirtazapine; no Klonopin for 5 months either! Started quercetin (250mg x 2) to soften the histamine rebound.

May 2023 - Stopped quercetin and changed from magnesium carbonate to oxide - reacted badly. Reverted back to carbonate. 
June 2023 - Added fish oil.
Current regimen: CALM Magnesium (Carbonate into Citrate) 175mg x2; Vitamin E 268mg x2; Fish oil (100mg Omega3; EPA 30mg; DHA 37mg)x2
Intro thread: 
https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27095-portuguesesea-metoclopramide-akathisia-and-mirtazapine/

Yes it’s all confusing. I’m struggling with weight loss so not sure that keto is for me 

2003 Paxil - I can't remember the dose but I think it was 10mg  experienced  horrendous akathisia when starting for 3 weeks then okay 

2004.  slow reduction to 0 , withdrawal symptoms, so reinstated to 10mg - again horrendous Akathisia which lasted 5 weeks.
2005 - attempted to slowly taper off and again  Terrible withdrawal so reinstated and endured akathisia until it settled. Psychiatrist changed me over to

Zoloft so that I could have another baby. No adverse reaction with the switch except terrible diorreah

2006   tried once more to come off Zoloft carefully with terrible results. reinstated Zoloft and used 2.5 mg of zyprexa to help Akathisia- horrid episode                             lasted 3 months with some akathisia and severe depression which I’d never had before. Withdrawal from zyprexa ( depression) 

2008  50 mg of Zoloft then after 6 months I tapered to 25 mg and decided to stay there . 

2012 stress event and peri menopause acute anxiety which led to, updosing to 125 mg, tortuous symptoms(akathisia) then stabilized,  back to 50 mg-

2019 - 2023 Zoloft tapering by 2 mg linear taper every 3 months started at 50 mg, got to 25 mg around January 2023.  June 2023- health anxiety and what feels like withdrawal again.  Insomnia, anxiety, blunted good feelings.

2023 June- Zyprexa taken twice, ativan 1 mg taken once, temazepan infrequent but 15- 18th of June used for 4 nights

2023 August - introduced 7.5 mg of mirtazapine for 12 days then 15mg of mirtazapine. Sleep now ok but daily life depression, anhedonia, agitation and a weird feeling of being sedate and anxious at the same time. Currently holding.

Friends since having two nights on mirt at 7.5 mg while I’m in Zoloft withdrawal my sleep is stuffed 3-4 hours. It’s unbearable. I’m losing all hope. 

Sorry that didn’t make sense. I started mirt 7.5 for two nights then stopped because I’m scared of it. Now my what was bad sleep has become worse. Help

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy