Sciatica

Neuroplastic

Any people suffering from sciatica on SA? I've long noticed it's a very common WD symptom. Even w/o any physical basis for it, it can be really painful.

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

I started suffering from sciatica/back pain about seven years before I ever started taking an AD. I tried everything there was to try before I resorted to surgery, thirteen years later. The surgery definitely helped... I would say I'm about 85% - 90% better.

It's interesting you asked this question. My back has been bothering me the last 10 days or so... more so than usual. Didn't think it was attributable to WD, but I guess you never really know.

Neuro... do you have sciatica?

Charter Member 2011

• Administrator

I had sciatica years and years ago, before Paxil, even.

I got physical therapy and it hasn't bothered me since. It's related to spinal misalignment. I keep my back strong with Pilates classes twice a week.

My back does bother me when I spend too much time hunched over a keyboard, as does my hip -- the source of the original sciatica.

Perhaps people suffer from sciatica in withdrawal because they spend so much time on computers trying to find out what it is that's making them feel so terrible?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Perhaps people suffer from sciatica in withdrawal because they spend so much time on computers trying to find out what it is that's making them feel so terrible?

Ha ha!

I think another factor causing sciatica is water retention. Before Paxil (BP < uh oh) I would get sciatica when I retained water pre-menstrually. Now, I have sciatica in my back / butt that comes and goes, but I have something that feels very similar in the back of my knee, that I am convinced has to do with water retention pressing on a nerve.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

I keep my back strong with Pilates classes twice a week.

I've heard that after one year of Pilates classes something happens in the brain and body that makes one look and feel thirty years younger.

Do you think there is any truth to this?

Charter Member 2011

Neuro... do you have sciatica?

When the wave worsens it's usually there. And as of present, no physical causes for it. In my case it's 95% WD-related. The good news is that when the symptoms imrove, the pain is almost non-existent.

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

• Administrator

Neuro, it may be hyper-sensitive nerves in your spine, that's where sciatica originates.

I've heard that after one year of Pilates classes something happens in the brain and body that makes one look and feel thirty years younger.

Do you think there is any truth to this?

Very funny. I wish.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...

I had this severe for 8 months and was bed ridden for a month. Tried everything and it was found for me to be a periformis muscle in my butt in spasm. RIght therapist and stretching and it was gone in three weeks

I was told it is a common stress reaction

• 5 years later...

I hope it is ok to share a very informative web-page on sciatica:

http://www.sciatica-pain.org/ischemic-sciatica.html

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

• 2 years later...

Hello

is sciatica a symptom of withdrawal? I have started with pain in my buttocks yesterday, and today down my left leg. Thank you x

Prescribed Venlafaxine 150mg ..........

19 Feb 2019 stopped Venlafaxine 150mg cold turkey. 06 March 2019 restarted Ven 125mg. 04 April 2019 9 mini pills. 02 May 2019 8 mini pills. 01July 2019 7 mini pills. 18 Aug 2019 6 mini pills. 24 Sept 2019 5.50 mini pills. 11 October 2019 5 mini pills. 5th May 2020 Reinstated Ven 125 mg XR 9 pills.

9th Nov 2020 Update Started splitting dose to twice per day

02/02/2021 can’t stabilise without symptoms. 
03/02/21 9 mini pills @ 10am 

Updated.... July 2021 108mg, Sept 2021 107mg, 

tapering steps to be updated

current dose 14 July 2023 80mg

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

• Moderator Emeritus

I experience sciatica and find that putting my foot on a chair with it straight and gently leaning forward helps. 

I also find that ensuring that when I sit I use a footstool so that my feet are not dangling or are not stretched to reach the ground.  I carry a small plastic bin or a lunchbox with me and use that when travelling on the train or when eating out etc.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy