DMaddie

DMaddie

Hi. I am brand new to this discussion and already I have learned alot about how to wean myself off of lexapro. I was initially prescribed this to treat IBS. I'm wondering if anyone knows of anything natural that helps during this process. I never knew the potency of lexapro compared to other antidepressants or the length of time it will take to completely rid this from my system. Has anyone else had lexapro prescribed to them for IBS?

I took Lexapro to get off Paxil. It was a nasty drug to get off of. Usually tricyclics are prescribed for IBS.

Was just on another post about combining Fish Oil and Vit E for WD.

I spent alot of money on supplements while tapering Lexapro. For me it was a complete waste. for others, not so.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi DMaddie,

Welcome to the forum.

You will find lots of friendly support and advice here.

Supplements tend to be hit or miss. Some people notice great improvements using them, others not so much.

For me, when I'm in withdrawal I'm hypersensitive to them - so they actually hinder my healing. Like Nikki, I spent a lot of money and it was a waste.

When I'm stable a supplement may help me for a few weeks and most and then my body adapts to it and it no longer works.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

I haven't heard of Lexapro being prescribed for IBS, but it doesn't surprise me. Antidepressants and antipsychotics seem to be commonly prescribed for off-label uses such as pain.

To my knowledge, the only supplements that are of any help at all are high-quality fish oil (see King of Supplements - Fish Oil) and magnesium (see Magnesium - Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker. I spent a small fortune on supplements when I was in withdrawal from Lexapro, but the only thing that worked aside from fish oil and magnesium was time and patience. There's just no way to rush healing from antidepressants along.

Welcome to the forum, DMaddie. You'll find lots of good information and gentle, friendly support here.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Welcome, DMaddie.

Several people here have reduced their withdrawal symptoms and IBS symptoms with restricted diets. Search in the Symptoms and Self-care forum for diet and you'll see a number of discussions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello, DMaddie and welcome to the forum!

I hope you find the information you need here. Here's the link to the Tips for tapering off Lexapro thread, which you may be able to learn something from. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-lexapro-escitalopram/

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012