Fizz: Prozac cold turkey withdrawal

Fizz

• Administrator

See the Symptoms and Self-care forum for tips such as Epsom salts baths.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fizz

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• basildev

Top Posters In This Topic

Alto, would you believe it if I said the Epsoms appeared to heighten anxiety and I did not use much! Extreme sesnsitivity at the moment, a regular warm bath is the only option, but thank you for the suggestion. Xxxxxx

Also, constant cotton wool mouth, haven't enough saliva to hold a conversation, so I do chew gum, have read this is bad, can't find one anywhere with natural ingredients. Really hope today is better than yesterday, it was hard to move... I have managed 4 hours sleep though. The shakiness and weakness upon getting up is severe, here goes.... Xxxxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

I hope today is a better day for you Fizz.

I have so much respect for people like you who are doing the hard yards where insomnia is concerned.

hugs to you.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

basildev, love you! Let me know how your day goes! Extreme lack of sleep been going on for around 3 years now, not getting as many all-nighters! Xxxxxxx

Alto, would you believe it if I said the Epsoms appeared to heighten anxiety and I did not use much! Extreme sesnsitivity at the moment, a regular warm bath is the only option, but thank you for the suggestion. Xxxxxx

Epsom salts don't agree with me either,then I tried 250mgs of mag orally and the same thing. I guess we are sensitive to the stuff since others seem to take it with no problem.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

• Administrator

Yes, even with magnesium and Epsom salts, people have different tolerances.

You might find them helpful sometime in the future.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Fizz,

I can relate to you only in that I also cold turkeyed Prozac and ended up in the same mess with reinstatement of any drugs not working. This seems like it happens to people all to often. I'm now struggling (in a different way). - three months completely off after 2.5 years of cocktails trying to right the ship.

My symptoms are more on the emotional side - out of control fear and panic, deep dark depression. Working myself up into terror over things I know are unlikely but can't turn the brain off. Also not eating enough, sore and achy all over, constant fatigue.

How are you doing emotionally? Other than physical symptoms it sounds like you are able to stay relatively positive and keep a decent sense of self? If so that's a big win.

Good luck to you.

Started on Zoloft in 2002
Switched to Lexapro in 2005
Switched to Prozac in 2008
Off Prozac abruptly in 2010 (a mistake) - crashed
Lexapro end of 2010 - didn't work
Effexor until 2012 - roller coaster from hell
Back to Prozac November 2012 - one last rise and fall
Quit Prozac 01/13

Reinstated Prozac 5mg 05/13
Trial of 7.5 Remeron for one month 06/13, then off

Off Lamictal 06/13

Quit benzos 06/13

Reduced to 4mg Prozac 8/15/13

Would really love to know if anyone is getting by on very little sleep, finding it so difficult. Had to go to eldest sons school last night, missed a bus back, got in around 10pm all keyed up. Was still awake at 3am following numerous attempts to drop off, the vibrations, adrenaline rushes and jangled nerves etc preventing me. Had some hot milk, bread and butter and slept for around 2 and a half hours, then awake again and time for school preparations. Felt dreadful all day, exhausted, pain all over, blurred vision, spaced out and the rest. Had stuff to do, managed an hours lie down midday. This is one terrible wave, was much steadier before the hit, and what with being this far out as well. Symptoms are physically very harsh but as you ask cmusic, emotional ones come and go all day too, the despair and what if stuff, distraction helps. Enough now, at the moment the house is calm so can chill for a while and not feeling so bad! Hope everyone has had lovely moments in their day! Xxxxxxxx

Oh, just hoping this is gonna get better, it's terrible because I've had stretches of feeling nearer "normal" and during these the symptoms have subsided. Frustrated and disappointed to the max. Thanks everyone. Xxxxxxx

It's tormenting, isnt it, to be laid flat after functioning *near normally* for awhile, especially at a few years out?

I haven't had significant insomnia like you and several others. Compsports has dealt with severe insomnia over an extended time period. You might find some helpful info in her thread.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thank you B, will look at the thread. The irony of this is that prior to withdrawal I had all my life slept like a baby, before Prozac and during. Never a problem, 8 or 9 hours average. Never any d/r, vibrations, tinnitus, nausea, disconnection, pain, etc, etc. Do you think it does all go away, in time, if it wasn't pre-existing? Living in a different land at the moment. Oh, there was 20 years of useage of course. Love to you. Xxxx

Please write and let me know how everyone is doing today! Got nearly 4 hours sleep, have done an hour voluntary work at school and going to do some things around the house, resting in between, because fatigue persistent. It is a beautiful sunny day here! Xxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Do you think it does all go away, in time, if it wasn't pre-existing?

I do.

I've been struggling with sleeping myself recently. There's something very unnatural about not being able to sleep.

Hang in there and allow yourself time to rest, it'll get better.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Thank you so much Nar, have been losing the faith lately this wave is soo bad. Yet I had a part window yesterday afternoon, a really enjoyable time. Then again last night, in bed half an hour, the adrenalin, vibrating and startling began. Feels like a frazzled nervous system, didn't get off till after 4, honestly, up at 6 for sorting the kids out! This one is crazy, feel dreadful. Will have to be a really easy day, just as well I achieved a fair amount yesterday whilst I could. Was hitting 5 hours sleep the other week. How are you doing? Hugs. Xxxxxx

• Administrator

Hi Fizz

Regarding the challenges with your sleep, have you tried melatonin? The vibrating and startling you describe sounds like excess cortisol ... the stress hormone. Melatonin is the "go to sleep" hormone and cortisol is the "wake up" hormone. The ideal cortisol rhythm is for cortisol to be at its highest around 8 AM and to fall throughout the day. Melatonin production should start to increase around dusk and be at its highest by around 2 AM. When the system is overly stressed we begin to see cortisol high or no longer in rhythm and this can disrupt sleep.

Here is a link to our thread about melatonin: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/189-melatonin-for-sleep/

Here is an abstract about cortisol and melatonin: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ddr.20014/abstract

Alternatively, you might look into Phosphatidylserine which is believed to help repair cortisol receptors. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1852-how-to-reduce-cortisol-both-rx-and-natural/

Since you are likely sensitized due to withdrawals, if you try either of these supplements start with a small amount and see if you experience beneficial effects or not, if you do see some benefit then you can gradually increase. The melatonin thread has good recommendations for starting dosages of that supplement.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fizz,

so sorry you're struggling - but great that you got 4 hours sleep the other night! That's a window if I ever did see one:).

As I've said before, my sleep issues are a walk in the park compared to yours.

You might want to read Strawberry's thread. She has pulled some 'all-nighters' in her time and has a great wealth of experience on the subject of withdrawal and insomnia.

As Narcissus advised, please tread carefully with supplements Personally I'm hypersensitive to the lot (have tried everything and anything for insomnia).

Sometimes they can do more harm than good, though.

Take care:)

February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Thank you, thank you for your comments Karma and basildev! After previous experience with vitamins, fish oil, etc, turning out horribly I am loathe to try anything for the sleep, just too scared.....Will continue to struggle through. Have this picture of receptors being battered further! Knew I was gonna go protracted some time ago, do find it hard to cope though at this far out, sigh. Just under 4 hours last night, so could be worse. Have doc appointment tomorrow, because of the recent problems I am gonna have to give hrt a go at just a small dose to start, so scared..... Hope everyone can have a pleasant day today! Hugs. Xxxxxx

A rough night again, just under 3 hours sleep. As soon as I wake the vibrations start, just wondering if keeping something by the bedside to eat or drink when this happens would help and what would be best? Milk, fresh juice, nuts, fruit? I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas, not going to take supplements! Hugs. Xxxxx

See the Symptoms and Self-care forum for tips such as Epsom salts baths.

Coming in a little late on this but, I took an epsom salt bath and my anxiety shot up afterwards. So you are not alone on that one. The sensitivities to things are LAME!

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

A rough night again, just under 3 hours sleep. As soon as I wake the vibrations start, just wondering if keeping something by the bedside to eat or drink when this happens would help and what would be best? Milk, fresh juice, nuts, fruit? I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas, not going to take supplements! Hugs. Xxxxx

Not sure....Maybe warm milk. Chamomile tea might be good too.

Sorry you had a bad night. Last night was off for me. Kept tossing and turning and felt really hot and achy.

Started Fluoxetine Jan. 2010

Tried to go off of it in Sept. 2010

Weaned too fast and was back on it by Nov. 2010

Didn't work as good the second time around.

Started to wean again in Nov. 2011 and was off for good by April? 2012

Could really do with some encouragement today, well I suppose we all could. Have really blurred vision, spaced out feeling, so tired and freezing cold. Managed to do an hours voluntary once the kids were in school, now trying to sort the house out and do some paperwork. Managed and trying are the operative words here, bit of a struggle, could just lie down and flake out! Hope everyone is having a decent day. Xxxxxx

Hi, would appreciate any replies today! Feeling terrible, really worried. After a huge heavy period that lasted a month I got 2 weeks break and have now started bleeding again. Sorry it's not the most pleasant subject! Anxiety, spaced out feeling, weakness and all the other symptoms are now through the roof. Don't know what to do really, my doctor said hormone levels are not too far off normal and I am awaiting some scans. Just hope it's not going to get any worse. Finding it scary. Hugs. Xxxxx

• Administrator

Very sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time, Fizz. Hang in there.

When do you expect to get tests back about the gyno problem?

Have you looked in Symptoms and Self-care for ways to alleviate some of your symptoms?

Thanks so much for replying Altostrata. Was considering starting the hrt, but blood results showed hormones not to be that off, only a little bit. My doctor was calling the gynae dept today to prompt them for the scan, haven't a date yet. Will give the symptoms and self care a thorough reading. I just love the comment that someone else just wrote about all this being a test of endurance, it sure as hell is! Xxxxxx

Need some help here badly. Did quite a lot today, had the kids out, fair bit of walking, etc, am now bleeding heavily and shaking, really horrible. Have just taken 2 tranexamic acids in an attempt to slow the bleeding down. I can take these for 4 days max. I think I might have to undergo surgery pretty soon if this carries on, it's 5 weeks now with a brief break in between. What on earth sort of anaesthetic or pain relief would I be able to tolerate without getting really damaged again? My withdrawal symptoms are still so bad after all this time, I fear getting worse and weaker if I have to have an op such as endometrial ablation or even hysterectomy, just the thought of anaesthetic terrifies me. Please, please, please can anyone advise or help, or has anyone had surgery in withdrawal? I am at the moment desperate. Hugs. Xxxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fizz,

so sorry you're struggling!

It sounds like the surgery is unavoidable. I once had surgery whilst in the middle of a very fast taper (including alternating doses and skipping days). I also had to take a heavy course of antibiotics for 2 weeks after the surgery.

The withdrawal symptoms hit me after this was all over. But I bounced back.

I wish I could offer you some reassurance. I've had several general anaesthetics and it's always been okay. Have you ever had a general before?

Thanks so much for your reply basildev, haven't had a general anaesthetic before. Wouldn't know what type to ask for if there are different ones, I read somewhere that Propofol (not sure if that's the spelling) is better tolerated. My fear is that the doctors won't have a clue again, as before, will just get that dismissive look. Please, GiaK, Alto, anyone reading, thoughts as to best options if it comes to surgery, or maybe a hormonal implant. Something will have to be done, just lying at home at the moment feeling very ill. The more I move about, the bleeding gets worse.... Would really appreciate any replies. Hugs. Xxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Fizz, I don't have any info about anesthetic, but given the way you're bleeding I urge you to get medical attention. I know you probably feel about the same way about doctors that I do, after what we've been through with the drugs, but you really need to do something about that bleeding, whatever it takes, and then worry about the other stuff later. It's not an ideal situation, I know, but it sounds to me like the priority needs to be getting that bleeding stopped.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks Rhi, I am really concerned. Have been to A and E twice recently but they weren't interested. My doctor says to complete the course of Tranexamic acid again, which will finish on Friday, it is slowing it down. I suppose we will just have to take it from there, I'm sure I can't carry on like this indefinitely! The medics over here seem to want you to go on as long as possible before they will do anything.... Just praying its going to stop soon, I'm not much use to my partner and kids at the moment. The only way is up! :) xxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Maybe you can take it easy for a couple of days and try not to do too much physically, to allow the clotting to establish...? I'm not a doctor, but it seems to me that would make sense. Hang in there, like you say, just have to see what happens by Friday. But you can help it along maybe by taking it extra easy...?

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Love you, Rhi! I do get so frustrated lying down but my body is wanting to rest, it's demanding it! Must admit that I got all the kids to school and then did some cleaning which I should've left. Not going to do anything else now till pick up. Thank you for your concern, it's wonderful (getting emotional!). Xxxxx

• Administrator

From what people have posted here, they've done okay with propofol. Make sure the surgeon knows you are hypersensitive to neuroactive drugs -- you can call it autonomic instability.

That type of surgery might be done with local anesthesia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endometrial_ablation

Thank you so much Alto! Might have to try Norethisterone first, I think these are progesterone tablets to stop bleeding, can cause depression, nervousness, insomnia etc. Oh great. I read that progesterone acts on GABA receptors, really worried about this one, please have you any thoughts? Sorry to keep asking! Love. Xxxx

• Administrator

If they might cause depression, nervousness, insomnia, etc. you might let your doctor know you don't need any more of that.

Some people find progesterone soothing and some find it activating. Is your doctor a specialist?

Thanks for reply Alto, she's not a specialist in hormonal treatment, if there is one available I could be hanging on months for apptment! She's definitely on my side though, not in favour of psychotropics and willing to acknowledge withdrawal symptoms. She texted me today urging I rest and keep her updated, my original doctor was a disaster and clueless as to protracted. Will just have to play it by ear the next few days, hope for the best. Oh, what sort of pain relief would be safe if I needed an op and would an epidural be an idea maybe, any thoughts please? Really appreciate your kindness and help. Xxxxxx