SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Fizz: Prozac cold turkey withdrawal

Fizz

• Moderator Emeritus

Fizz,

I have no idea which particular drug they used with me. But I do know from experience that general anaesthetic can cause nausea. I always ask them to include something in the mix to address the nausea. It always does the trick.

Now, I'm not an expert on this so you may want to check with Alto before you do this.

Just thought I'd share my experience though.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fizz

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• basildev

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks basildev, that's a good point, got nausea on and off now as it is! Very pleased at having 5 hours sleep last night, how are you doing, thinking of you. Xxxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

doing ok thanks Fizz

Congrats on the 5 hours - may you have many more!

February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Administrator

Sorry, I'm not an expert on anesthesia or painkillers, I can't say.

I do know, though, consulting the most knowledgeable doctor possible in these situations is very, very important.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you Alto, maybe someone will come up with some advice, I really don't know how anaesthesia/ pain relief will affect withdrawal, or my best options, it's really scary! Xxxxx

Would appreciate any words of encouragement today. Have spent most of the last few days lying down, feeling really incapacitated. Still bleeding, the tablets have slowed it down but I finish them today. Moving around makes it worse, this is so frustrating. Have contacted my doctor asking if I paid for gynae/hormone consultations would it be quicker and told her how ill I feel, but had no reply. Just feel really desperate and sick, it seems like I'm left to lie here and deal with it. Sorry for being so negative! Hope everyone is doing better than me. Lots of love. Xxxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Aaaawwww Fizz,

No need to apologize - you have the right to be negative, as it doesn't look like you're getting the right support from your medical people.

So sorry you're feeling this way.

I wish I could take the pain away

hugs to you xx

Fizz,

I'm sorry you're having this hard time. I had anesthesia earlier this week for tooth extraction and did ok. It was IV containing Propofol, Versed, and fentanyl. I've taken hydrocodone for pain without problems.

Please go easy on yourself and don't push your activities. Taking care of 3 kids and cleaning the house is ALOT, especially in a weakened condition.

Hugs!

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thank you Barb and basildev! Doctor rang me and I had a full apptment this morning! Blood tests plus pelvic exam because I've had all the obsessional w/d thoughts, convinced I'm on the way out, etc! Exam was ok, iron levels not drastic. Should get Gyn apptment within 2,weeks. The worry and ruminating was driving me crazy. Just going to have to ease up on everything for now. Thanks for replying. Hope you doing okay. Love you! Xxxxx

Really bad day today, feel so sick, all I can do is lay down. Of course I feel guilty that two friends had to take the kids out aswell! Wouldn't have thought it possible that anyone could lose so much blood, where the hell is it all coming from? Would appreciate any messages, hoping everyone is faring a bit better than me and that your day hasn't been too bad. Hugs. Xxxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

{{{{hugs}}}

Fizz,

Has the bleeding slowed at all? Was the doctor concerned about amount of blood loss? What is the next step?

It's good that you have friends to help out. I'm sure you will do the same for them when they are in need.

B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thank you basildev and Barb, it's wonderful to get replies when you feel so sick. The bleeding hasn't slowed unfortunately, still heavy, the next step is the Gyn appointment which I haven't had the letter for yet. Hopefully I will get it this week. Feel like I'm hanging by a thread, it's horrible. My friend got the kids to school for me, I am just trying to lie still. Thank you for your support. Hugs. Xxxxxxxx

Help, I have to start taking Norethisterone today, it's a synthetic form of progesterone, in an attempt to stop this bleeding which is getting much worse. Really scared so think I'm going to take a half or third of a tablet first and see what happens. Just so desperate that I will have to give it a go. Hoping its not going to make me much worse. Has anyone any experience with or advice about this med, please? Hugs. Xxxxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

I haven't, Fizz.

But I'm sure others will chime in soon.

Take it slowly and see what happens. I hope it makes you feel better xx

Thanks basildev, been taking the Norethisterone, making me feel dreadful, so weak and spaced out, can't move. Still flooding, have doctor coming out this morning. Lots of love. Xxxxxx

Doctor has said to continue with Norethisterone as a hysterectomy is only given in a real emergency, etc. this is the second day on them and tonight I've been having suicidal thoughts, which I haven't had for over a year and a half. Feel terrible, think I'm gonna have to tell her. This is getting crazy now, if I stop taking it I will start haemorrhaging again. At my wits end. Sending hugs out. Xxxxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

So sorry Fizz.

Please hang on

You're between a rock and hard place aren't you? I think any medication that mucks around with your hormones is bound to exacerbate withdrawal symptoms.

A hysterectomy IS a huge thing as well.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've been having suicidal thoughts, which I haven't had for over a year and a half.

I've had these too, Fizz. Try to see the thoughts as a kind of 'emergency exit' when the symptoms of withdrawal are unbearable. They're not real nor do they have any bearing on where you're at in your life in general. These thoughts can be scary, I know, but try to see them as symptoms of your distressed nervous system, which I assure you they are.

Things will get better, I promise. Hang in there.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Fizz,

I encourage you to be upfront with your doctor about the suicidal thoughts. Progesterone caused that with me also (1 dose) and it was not something I could tolerate. I did not have the bleeding situation, however. FOR ME, it was not worth the risk. It made me wonder if that is the way some people react to SSRIs.

I dont mean to frighten you, but I know how strong that feeling was for me and I feel certain that I was in more danger by taking it. Extremely scary.

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh Fizz I'm so sorry you are so poorly :( . It's awful that you have to put up with

something that is so debilitating but not classed as an emergency. :mad:

I really hope you feel better soon, and I also think you should tell the doctor

you are feeling suicidal. Hang in there, it's because you are so ill you are

thinking that way.

((hugs)) MammaP

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks everyone for your kind replies! Managed to get a Gyn appointment today! Spoke about how spaced out and dreadful I was feeling on the Norethisterone. They also listened carefully as I told them of my withdrawal experience and symptoms, med sensitivity, etc, which was cool. So.... I was offered the Mirena coil as the progesterone is a small amount and only a little enters the blood stream. Apparently . Had it fitted and a biopsy aswell. Was really scary cos I was so ramped up anyway. Will have to give it a go, at the moment have subsequent lower back pain. Am going to try and halve the dose of Norethisterone now. Can always have it removed if its a disaster. Really hoping so much that this is going to work, it's a desperate situation. Lots of hugs. Xxxxxx

It's tuning out to be a really strange day. Only about 2 and a half hours sleep, bit below average mood this morning then a fantastic window before lunch! Really good mood and feeling near normal. Well that lasted all of 2 hours, then sank to hopelessness, anxiety, exhaustion, sneezing and runny nose, palpitations, etc. Sure these strong Progesterone tablets are stirring me up, have cut down by less than half since Monday. Ridiculous, only been taking them 4 days. Anyone else going from high to low throughout the day, it's scary, please let me know. Hugs. Xxxxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad you've had some time feeling better Fizz. I've had days

like that too while withdrawing. The highs are good but lows

terrible and all in one day just plain weird!

I hope you feel the good bits more often and the bad bits disappear soon.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Well, I was definitely more stable mood wise before this hormone med, I know that for sure. Haven't had such a horrible low for a long long time. Gonna get off it in next couple of days, but hope cycle doesn't come back like crazy then. The thought of the coil in is scaring me too, I have real phobia of the hormones being released, had been totally med free for so long. Will have to give it a chance I suppose, really making me anxious though. Lots of love. Xxxxxxxx

• Administrator

Progesterone can definitely affect withdrawal symptoms. Also, I believe depression is a side effect of progesterone. Perhaps a fractional dose would be better for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Love you Alto! Took a sliver, going to finish tomorrow. So grateful for the site and people on it. It's a lifesaver. How do you make a donation? Hugs. Xxxxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Right at the top of the page is donations, along from the discussions button. :)

2002  effexor. 

Had a fantastic window this afternoon! Took the kids to the park with friends. Oh, my, God, I was acting the goat, laughing and joking around! Was in fits of laughter a couple of times. Will keep referring to this experience all the time. Tired now with back and stomach pain, apparently to be expected after the coil fitting, hope it doesn't worsen. I am praying for everyone to get windows too. Sending healing hugs. Xxxxxxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Really glad you had a good day Fizz, just a little taste of what's ahead for you.

Hope that window stays open awhile longer. :D

2002  effexor. 

I hope your window is still open Fizz... but even if not, don't worry, you will have another one soon...just like you had this one...

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

Well, been absolutely covered in blood for 2 days, got admitted to hospital today and put on a drip. Have a hysterectomy scheduled for sometime in the next few weeks. Couldn't carry on any longer and it's just getting worse. Very very scared about it but there's no alternative. Got all the w/d fears about which meds will I get and will I wake up.....but I suppose it would be frightening for any healthy person! Been discharged for now but trying to take it very easy cos of the constant bleeding. Sending tons of love and hugs to everyone, thank you for your support, really need it! Xxxxxxxxxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus
Posted Image

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

Fizz, we're all thinking of you and sending healing thoughts.

• Moderator Emeritus

You'll get through this!

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

{{{hugs}}} xx