SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Fizz: Prozac cold turkey withdrawal

Fizz

Thank you for your fantastic messages! Still very sick, this op may have to be sooner rather than later. Have read through the thread on surgery.Has anyone please any further advice about the anaesthetic and pain relief, sorry to ask again, but if I was greatly worsened by the wrong choice of meds I would be devastated. Hugs. Xxxxxxxx

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fizz

• Altostrata

• Barbarannamated

• basildev

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Make sure to tell the anesthesiologist you are highly sensitive to anesthetics and pain medications.

From posts here, people seem to tolerate propofol as an anesthetic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks so much Alto, was going to mention the Propofol, no idea what pain medication would be best if you are in withdrawal though. Has anyone any ideas? They suggested a long acting epidural as a start. Wonder if this would be okay? As for afterwards, I don't know, would morphine be harmful? Hugs. Xxxxxxx

Thinking of you Fizz... You will get through this...

Hugs

Abir

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

Im thinking of you also, good luck with the surgery and please let us know how you are doing. xx

damaged by citalopram - severe suffering for 3 years now...no improvement

akathsiia, pgad, dp/dr, terror, and so SO many more daily

severly disabled and lost everything

• Administrator

Fizz, I wish I knew the answers to those questions about pain medications. However, you need to do what you have to do. Your nervous system will recover. Please take care of yourself, it sounds like the bleeding is more serious than the withdrawal syndrome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you everyone for the brilliant messages! Really freaking out though and in great fear about all this. Have got stomach and back pains plus bowel discomfort aswell now, keep thinking the worst. You know how you google all your symptoms and something terminal comes up.....The thought of going into the operating theatre is constant, terrified. Anyone have ideas on how best to calm down, am trying the deep breathing, just feel sick with worry. Sorry to sound so desperate. Lots and lots of hugs. Xxxxxxx

Fizz,

Do you know what drug they plan to use in the long acting epidural? I believe that different drugs are used for different purposes and steroids are one of those agents used (also opiates, anesthetics/ end in "-caine"). If it were me, I would discuss using short-acting pain treatments prior to going to a long-acting injection. My concern is that side effects with long acting agents will take longer to resolve.

I've done fine with short-acting opiates (hydrocodone) but had trouble with hydrocortisone (corticosteroid) during withdrawal. The steroid is sometimes used for inflammation after surgery.

In a wrist surgery prior to withdrawal, Toradol IV (NSAID) helped pain due to inflammation after multiple opiates failed.

I hope Alto or others will offer opinions, specifically about long-acting epidural / possible steroid. I dont mean to cause you further concern, but thought it worth mentioning. My pain control needs and surgeries were VERY DIFFERENT than yours so, please, keep in mind that this is just my very limited experience.

B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thanks a million Barb, some really good points which I shall write down, am taking notes with me. You're really helpful, how are you doing? Xxxxxxxx

• Administrator

Sorry, I can't propound on long-acting epidurals or possible steroids! Make sure your doctors know your concerns.

So exhausted, been up all night vibrating and shaking with sheer terror at the thought of this surgery and the meds, getting myself into a real state. It was one of my worst fears, to be faced with this in withdrawal, having endless thoughts of doom. What if I can't take the anaesthetic, or the pain relief and I'm in agony, or have a dreadful reaction to them? Sorry for the tone of this, in a bad way at the moment. Sending out hugs and love. Xxxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

wishing you all the best Fizz

My thoughts are with you xx

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Oh Fizz ~

I'm sorry you're so stressed about this. I think you will feel tremendous relief when it's all over. I haven't read through the surgery thread recently, but what I recall is that the people who had difficulty were ones who were thrown into withdrawal because the hospital or doctor had them abruptly stop their AD for surgery. Several of us have had surgery with no problems whatsoever. I'm not equating your surgery with my recent tooth extraction, but many of the drugs used for anesthesia and pain are the same.

Hang in there. You'll do fine and feel so much stronger when the blood loss is under control.

Hugs!

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Hello Fizz,

just want to tell you that I also have very stiff and slow movements, I think it may be a form of parkinsonism which I think might be related to taking Seroquel (quetiapine) for about 3 years, but now I am learning from people in this forum that it may very well be due to withdrawal from AD - and/or adverse effects from them. I took escitalopram for 6-7 years until last Oct, when I did a much to quick tapering, which I very much regret now, and therefore have reinstated at a low dosage.

Just wanted to let you know that I too am very bothered by stiff and slow muscle movements, and that it is likely that it is related to AD and withdrawal symptoms from them.

Feel better soon!

Alopam (benzodiazepine) first prescribed 1994
Akarin (citalopram) from 2002

Mirtazepine for about 2 months for insomnia in 2003 or 2004
Changed from Akarin to Effexor 2005
Started Nexium 2005
Changed from Effexor to Akarin 2006
Stopped Alopam after slow tapering 2006
Changed from Akarin to Cipralex 2006
Started Seroquel (quetiapine) 2006
Changed from Nexium to Omeprazol 2006
Started tramadol 2008
Started pramipexole for restless legs syndrome 2008
Stopped Seroquel after quick tapering 2009
Stopped tramadol 2011
Stopped Omeprazol August 2012
Stopped Cipralex (escitalopram) (after an appr 6 weeks taper) on Oct 13, 2012
Reinstated Cipralex 5 mg on May 18 - on May 22 went down to 2.5 mg Cipralex - June 1 down to 2 mg Cipralex, oral drops - June 26 down to 1.20 mg - July 27 updosed to 1,30 mg - Sept 14 down to 1,00 mg of own tablet liquid - Oct 20 down to 0,90 mg

Hello Fizz again! I am sorry that I made a comment that is somewhat irrelevant to your problems right now - I am new to the forum, and I had not realized that there were more than one page of posts.

I hope you feel better, and that your op goes ok, and that the doctors give you anesthetics and pain meds that you can tolerate!

Best wishes!

Alopam (benzodiazepine) first prescribed 1994
Akarin (citalopram) from 2002

Mirtazepine for about 2 months for insomnia in 2003 or 2004
Changed from Akarin to Effexor 2005
Started Nexium 2005
Changed from Effexor to Akarin 2006
Stopped Alopam after slow tapering 2006
Changed from Akarin to Cipralex 2006
Started Seroquel (quetiapine) 2006
Changed from Nexium to Omeprazol 2006
Started tramadol 2008
Started pramipexole for restless legs syndrome 2008
Stopped Seroquel after quick tapering 2009
Stopped tramadol 2011
Stopped Omeprazol August 2012
Stopped Cipralex (escitalopram) (after an appr 6 weeks taper) on Oct 13, 2012
Reinstated Cipralex 5 mg on May 18 - on May 22 went down to 2.5 mg Cipralex - June 1 down to 2 mg Cipralex, oral drops - June 26 down to 1.20 mg - July 27 updosed to 1,30 mg - Sept 14 down to 1,00 mg of own tablet liquid - Oct 20 down to 0,90 mg

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments, don't know what I'd do without you! Feel very sick and exhausted today, just going to lie with a blanket. Wish I could do a bit more, but my body won't take it! Hope you all get through your day okay and have pleasant moments. Love. Xxxxxxxxx

don't feel bad about not doing more, your body is already doing a lot to heal.. don't feel guilty about getting as much rest as your body needs...

I hope that everything goes well with your operation and you recover from it quickly...

Abir

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

Have been giving the potential impact of this op some very serious thought. We all know what we are capable of, physically and mentally, whatever stage we are at. Believe I am just too symptomatic and sick to have a hysterectomy. I am going to try and avoid it at this point at all costs. Will try other hormonal treatments or a less invasive method. Major surgery would be really traumatic in my condition, am going to discuss this fully with the professionals. Big hugs to everyone. Xxxxxxx

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been on here cos been very very sick since the hormonal coil was put in, tho it has slowed the bleeding right down. Been throwing up, fever, dizzy, no sleep, lost tons of weight, feels like I'm dying, shaking all over. Have the doctor this morning, so desperate, don't know what to do any more, it has made me so ill trying to tolerate it. Terrified if it comes out I will start bleeding profusely again. Help. Sorry for sounding in such a state. Hugs. Xxxxxxxxxx

Oh, dear Fizz. Is this an expected reaction? It sounds dreadful. Please let us know what doctor advises. I'm sorry you're having such a horrid time. Are you considering the surgery?

Hugs!

B~

Thanks Barb. You can have terrible side effects with the Mirena, quite common and of course I've got all of them real bad, feel like death. Just don't see how I could withstand a hysterectomy, I'm so weak and sick, will be talking to the doctor soon. Wish I could see a way out of this, it just gets worse and worse! Loads of love. Xxxxxx

Don't know if there's something I'm not doing correctly but I've been searching and searching and cannot find my thread at all! Anyone can help? Hugs. Xxxxxxx

there has been a glitch with the site, mine has gone too and a few others, dont worry

Thanks Iggy, you're a life saver, was really worried! I had seen all the format changes, hopefully our threads will reappear soon. Xxxxxx

Oh, and there was lots of valuable info and beautiful messages of encouragement on my thread that I'd been referring to, I really hope it can come back soon! Thank you! Hugs. Xxxxxxx

Hoping everyone is not suffering too much today and that sleep was okay for you aswell. As long as we can all keep riding it, no matter what. Hugs. Xxxxxxxx

fizz your journal is back, just search for your name. xx

I have a question please. I have had the Mirena coil put in, hopefully to lessen bleeding, although it does take a few months to see an effect apparently. At first I had fever, chills, nausea, bloating, thank goodness these seem to have improved. But how is this device going to affect my healing? This is what I am worried about. It is releasing a small amount of synthetic progesterone daily. Things were so desperate I had virtually no choice but to try it. Will I still be able to heal whilst I have the Mirena ? I really hope and pray that I will. Lots of hugs to everyone. Xxxxx

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on my post above? Apparently progesterone does act on receptors, which is what I am worried about, but I have no choice but to give this thing a go. It's very annoying because I had been so pleased to be completely med free for a long while. Does anyone else take any form of progesterone maybe? Love. Xxxxxx

• Administrator

Fizz, you need to do what you need to do to control that bleeding.

Low-dose progesterone can be helpful to support healing from withdrawal syndrome. It's a calming hormone. If you're feeling better, that's what counts.

Thanks Alto, your reply means so much to me, you are an angel. I will persevere with this thing and hope for a good outcome! Hugs. Xxxxxx

big hugs from me Fizz, altos right (of course she is, shes the expert) I have seen loads of people use progesterone to help with w/d symptoms, you have your very own built in supplementor!!

Love you so much Iggy! We are all gonna heal together and look back in years to come with disbelief. We all heal, everyone at their own pace. Wish I could give you a proper hug! Xxxxxxxxxx

awe me too darling, your such a lovely soul and I identify with you as a mummy. xx