SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Hello. mammaP checking in!

mammaP

I think this is the problem with the bead counting method-one bead might be as much as 1/4 mg. If I'd stopped at 1/4 mg it would've been the metaphorical equivalent of jumping out of a ten story building. The difference between .25mgs and .009mgs. Because of it's form (no liquid form) the big problem with Effexor is making accurate reductions. I switched from capsules to generic pill, crushing them up and measuring by eye-because scales aren't accurate below 1 mg, and because the do it yourself liquid was a disaster for me. Don't know why, but the measuring by eye worked for me-thank god!. If the drug companies would make a liquid form of every antidepressant it would eliminate a huge amount of suffering with tapering and post tapering.

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I think this is the problem with the bead counting method-one bead might be as much as 1/4 mg. If I'd stopped at 1/4 mg it would've been the metaphorical equivalent of jumping out of a ten story building. The difference between .25mgs and .009mgs. Because of it's form (no liquid form) the big problem with Effexor is making accurate reductions. I switched from capsules to generic pill, crushing them up and measuring by eye-because scales aren't accurate below 1 mg, and because the do it yourself liquid was a disaster for me. Don't know why, but the measuring by eye worked for me-thank god!. If the drug companies would make a liquid form of every antidepressant it would eliminate a huge amount of suffering with tapering and post tapering.

That really is the big problem with effexor Hudgens. I took the largest bead for ages in the end because they are different sizes so I was reducing the dose gradually until I got to the size of a grain of sugar. After about 3 months off I had a huge wave but thankfully it didnt last long. Recently I've had some minor withdrawals, brain 'static' not quite zaps but more like static electricity, the kind that feels like you are pulling apart statically charged sweaters when I moved my eyes and sweating so much it was noticed and commented on because the sweat was running down my face!That was just a few days ago and after tapering for 3 years!   

Thank you so much to everyone for your posts and good wishes, things have been very hectic for me and sometimes almost overwhelming. I move into my new apartment next week so am packing this week. It is the first time on months that I will have had more than 4 days at home. I had both ops and was recuperating at my daughters, then her life was turned upside down and she was in pieces so was here and there equally as we looked after each other. Also had no internet at home for a few  weeks,  Right now I am on public wifi and could be booted off any second!   I have friends coming today to help pack, I'm not very good at accepting help and like to do it myself but physically can't do it, so will have to be gracious and humble and accept the help that is being given. Everyone wants to help and are happy to take over, maybe I should go to my pal's house while they get on with it so I wont be tempted to dive in!  

A few weeks ago my back went, something clicked and it was excruciating. Lying down eases it but walking is so painful its like being jabbed with red hot skewers!

After a while it just went, suddenly and was ok again, just the usual back pain which is awful but not like that. Then suddenly it went again and that seems to be the way it goes. The consultant said it is trapped nerves, my spine is arthritic and the surgery seems to have  affected my spine. He said it should get better and hopefully he is right. it gets so bad that I have been tempted to go to the hospital but there isnt any point when all they can do is offer drugs that I dont want! I need to make an appointment with an osteopath but have been so tied up and have to find a new one because my usual one moved away  :(

I've been on this wifi for 30 minutes now and cant believe it's still holding up! Tie to get cracking, (or packing ;) ) . I will be back when I am in my new place, just a few more days.  I've really missed being here and will be happy to get back to all my online buddies  :wub:

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

MammaP, good luck with the move! I haven't caught up with your thread but just read that you had a couple of ops. I hope all went well.

So sorry to hear about your back. I hope it eases soon.

Take care :-)

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

© Max Ehrmann 1927

1999 - 2004 Paroxetine 20mg  -> 2004 - 2007 Citalopram 20mg -> 2007 -  short term Trazedone use (insomnia) -> 2007 - 2009 Fluoxetine 20mg  ->

2009 - Jan 2012 Citalopram 20mg  (Spring / Summer 2012 protracted withdrawal & related agoraphobia) -> 2012 - September Restarted Citalopram - unbearable start up effects. Discontinued in under 1 week -> Oct 12 -   October 2014 Escitalopram - 10mg prescribed. Started on 5mg and worked up to 10mg in 2.5mg increments  -> Oct 2014  - 5mg; 30/03/15 2.5mg; 15/04/15 3.5mg; 20/05/15 2.9mg;  19/09/15 2.8mg; 30/10/15 2.7mg; 13/11/15 2.6mg. Holding until March.

Diet:  mostly pescatarianl & lots of veg. Weekly offal for b vitamins.  Turmeric, nigella seeds, avocados, apple cider vinegar, coconut products daily. Lots of fluids: water, lemon juice, coconut water, herbal & green tea (decaffeinated).

Supplements: vitamin C 4000mg, Omega 3 fish oil - high DPA & EHA, vitamin E 400iu, vitamin D3 5000mg (Winter only - from sun in Spring / Summer), probiotics.

Current Symptoms: chronic fatigue, erratic sleep, extreme photophobia, eye floaters, noise sensitivity, tinnitus, cognitive & speech difficulties, dizziness, irregular gait, poor co ordination, severe facial and upper body muscle tension, head and neck pressure.

Coping Strategies: good nutrition, cooking, gardening & growing my own food, cycling, dancing, yoga, photography, sewing & creative pursuits, self massage, pampering, meditation, journalling, nature, cuddling cats & humans, laughter & humour, gratitude, self care, aromatherapy, audio books, word games & believing in myself, my potential and my future.

"Everything I need is within me" - Shakti Gawain

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;

for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.

But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;

and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.

Especially, do not feign affection.

Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.

Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;

you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,

and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

© Max Ehrmann 1927

Thank you for that Tilly, it's lovely.  :wub:

It seems such a long time since I was active here and such a lot has happened. I've now moved into my new home and feel ok here. It's quiet and the neighbours are friendly and helpful, one is very talkative but she is nice and just loves to talk. They are all keeping to themselves just as I am but there to smile and say 'good morning' which is really nice. I didnt see many neighbours at the last place so it's quite good to have people about who are pleasant yet keep their distance. I've had some harrowing experiences with neighbours in the past that have made me a bit anti social so it would be good to get over that.  I miss my friends from the old place, and they threw a party for me when I left, which was lovely. I felt very spoiled with cards and flowers. For years I didn't interact with other people and stayed at home reclusive on effexor. When I moved there 18 months ago it was a new start and I made some great friends who I will keep in touch with. Now I am in a new congregation and hopefully will make some new friends, the only downside is that it is 10 miles away so won't be able to pop in like I did when I lives 5 minutes away from that congregation. I am getting out and about more now I am recovering but usually with my daughter. I need to start getting out on my own again, it's been a long slow recovery but getting there now. 

And I have the internet again which feels amazing after so long offline, sometimes I forget I can get online it's been so long!   :D

Now I need to catch up on things and jump back in, it's good to be back and I hope everyone is coping as well as can be. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Nice to hear from you and things are good. Excellent x

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Good to have you back mammaP! So happy you are in your new place and getting out more. You were sorely missed. Hugs and healing to you.

2001-04 Polypharmacy to include Paxil,Celexa, Risperdal, Seroquel, Depakote, Ambien, Geodon, Valium, Ativan, Haldol

03/04-11/04 Abilify

11/04-05/07 CT Abilify Non symptomatic

6/07 took Valium, began to experience altered reality and physical symptoms of withdrawal from Valium.

07/08. Abilify 2 mg, 12/08 Abilify 1 mg, 03/09 Abilify 0 mg, 03/08-06/11Altered reality but fully functional

10/12 hospitalized, Invega Depot, 2 shots discontinued, severe insomnia

6/14-10/14 flexeril, discontinued, developed insomnia; 10/14 10 mg Doxepin I week, no help with insomnia; 10/14 Remeron for two days, paradoxical reaction

Present Risperdal 1mg, clonazepam 2 mg, Restoril 15 mg. Went from .5 to 1 to 1.5 to 2mg of clonazepam in 2014. Also in 2014, tapered from 2 mg risperdal to 1.5 (fairly slowly but still too fast) and had to up dose back to 2 mg. Got liquid risperdal and started from 2 mg again.

• 2 months later...

How are you doing, Mommap?

Been on Paxil since 96”-97”, 40mg tried 3 times to get off and didn’t work, started a very slow taper Jan 2016, have only dropped down by 3 mg.. on 37mg currently.. have very delayed withdrawals. Last drop was in July 2017.. still have waves and windows. 

Magnesium 200mg, foilc acid 1 mg, vitamin d3 5000iu, Blood pressure meds-Verapamil & Irbesartan... Smoke cbd flower once in awhile. 

MammaP we are missing you.

Things are really busy here at sa so many people need help.

I had to jump behind the counter a couple of times and get things movin.

But people are saying its not the same without the MammaP. and her buddie CW.

Hope you are ok.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello everyone,  B) . I am so sorry that I haven't been around for so long. I've been quite busy with real life stuff and there has been quite a bit of stress to deal with. 

I did something incredibly stupid a few weeks ago and am still suffering the consequences. I went to get a painkiller from the little drawer I keep them in and didn't put the light on. They are always in that drawer and on their own, but my daughter had been in and mixed things up, I took a 75mg capsule of effexor  :unsure:. After years of 37.5, and 3 years tapering that was a mega high dose and I was really sick. I didn't realise what it was and almost called an ambulance. Then I went to check the drawer and couldn't believe I had been so stupid not to check. Why keep them? There were only 2 in there, that I kept in case I had withdrawal, then forgot about them.  :( .  The next few days were terrible, and a reminder of how sick I was for years while taking them. I went to make a cup of tea and didnt know how to do it, just looked at the kettle like it was some new gadget I'd never seen before!  The first few days I spent in bed mostly, my BP was very high and I had to go to the new gp for a script for the tramadol as I am a new patient. There was some concern although  I knew what it was so wasn't too worried. The doctor now wants regular BP checks. I didn't want to start explaining about effexor, I just couldn't be bothered but I did tell her about my drug sensitivities and she was very understanding and flagged them up as allergies on my records which was great because some doctors just don't understand it.  I needed the script for tramadol and she was recommending paracetamol and ibuprofen, both which make me ill. I thought she was going to stop the tramadol but she understood about the sensitivities and was really nice about them. 

Now I don't know if it's still the effects of the effexor or withdrawal again but I feel really down, crying a lot and at times the old suicidal feelings.  I have to keep reminding myself that it isn't real and whatever it is will pass with time. My gut is bad again and the insomnia is back. After doing so well it is devastating that I made such a stupid mistake and ended up like this again.  The good thing is that I know why, and I KNOW without a shadow of doubt that it will pass, I just have to hang in there with all you guys until it all goes away again. I really miss this place and have been checking in but couldn't get my thoughts together enough to post. I've been looking at the computer for hours not knowing what to say here, and in the end decided to be honest and 'fess up.  :blush:

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi mammaP,

Sorry to hear about what happened, but very pleased you made your confession.  Hopefully we can all learn from your mistake.  When I took my capsules & tablet this morning I looked down and saw that one of the capsules (white on white bench) was still there.  After I took it the thought crossed my mind that it may have been an extra one that fell out.  I also have a habit of not putting my glasses on first thing in a morning.  From now on I will be much more careful.

I hope it's not long before you stabilise.

CC 

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Oh no, that is horrible. At least you are experienced in WD and know not to run to a doc. for some other poison . You'll be fine just hang on and it will pass. It always does......

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for your replies, it means a lot to me and I'm glad to have friends here. Just a few hours after my last post I heard that my young niece had dies very suddenly. She was just 25 and full of life. My sister is devastated and I am going to stay with her today to help her through the arrangements etc. She had a condition that was controlled by meds but it was her heart that failed. 

Hug all those you love, there are no guarantees they will be there tomorrow

2002  effexor. 

What a horrid run you are having Mamma my heart goes out to you.  I know that not knowing how to make a tea feeling take it as easy as you possible can all things considered and wait it out... so sorry to hear of your niece I lost one of mine to brain cancer 2 years ago 30 years old life is cruel as hell some times. It sure can seem senseless at times. 

I will say a prayer for you and yours and hope this fallout passes quickly. 

I wish you peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks BT, I am struggling right now but surviving. I went to stay with my sister to help with the funeral arrangements and it was heartbreaking. 

I am still suffering the effects of that effexor and could kick myself for not being more careful. I feel exhausted and weak, my legs are like jelly and my arms are very heavy. Headaches and close to tears much of the time. Headaches and dizzy spells,nausea and stomach cramps. The dreaded suicidal thoughts keep popping up but I can remind myself that this is withdrawal and will pass. I don't fight the thoughts, just let them be and then sweep them away to be replaced but something more pleasant. 

Yesterday I was shocked when a violent thought swam into my head, I detest violence and it just came out of nowhere. Years ago that would have made me very worried that I must be a terrible person to think that way, but now I know that thought was not mine, it was just passing through and will not settle. I remember an analogy I heard once, "you can't stop a bird landing on your head but you can stop it building a nest"  and that is very true about unwanted thoughts. 

I hope this passes quickly, I had been feeling so much better and coping with some stressful situations that one time would have seen me at the doctor or hospital.  The insomnia is relentless too and I am sleeping maybe an hour or two. That is broken sleep too so not even a block  just minutes at a time then waking as if I've been asleep for hours. I've got through it before and will get through it again, I will just hang in there and wait it out!  Tomorrow is my niece's funeral and we all have to wear bright colours as it is to be a celebration of her life rather than mourning her death. I will probably break down but that will be ok as there will be many tears for a beautiful young lady who is gone too soon. 

2002  effexor. 

oh my what a treadful time you are having.

I know you will miss your niece.

Wishing you a better year in 2016.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

so sorry about your niece...a tragedy...

hope you get some relief from your symptoms soon....xoxo

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you DS, NZ.  The funeral was very emotional but beautiful , she would have been thrilled with it. She was bright and bubbly, full of mischief and just loved to party, sometimes too hard but that is how I was too when I was young!  There wasn't a dry eye there, she was loved by so many people and will be sorely missed. 

Today I am drained of energy and still emotional. My daughter told me yesterday that she has found a new place and is moving in 2 weeks. I moved here 3 months ago to be near her and the kids, it is miles from anywhere and I rarely see my neighbours. All I can see from my windows is a wall of leylandii  ( conifer trees that grow very dense very fast ) . It is cold, costs a fortune to heat and is still cold.  And I will be completely alone. I have to find places to go or I will end up reclusive and isolated like I was before. This wave is crippling and the timing sucks. Insomnia is as bad as ever which means I'm not always up to driving.  I have to wait it out and be thankful that I've had some good times, and knowing it will not last forever. I have been eating the wrong stuff too, spending time with other people who are very hospitable but don't eat very healthily and got into bad habits again, doughnuts taste soooooo good but are definitely not good for me!  :blush:

On a positive note I've bought a fish tank and have been watching youtube videos on aquascaping, hoping to create a beautiful underwater mini garden with tiny fish swimming around in there. I'll probably kill the plants, but will have a go! 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

An update. That one effexor 2 months ago is still making me suffer. I feel like I have gone full circle back to where I was 3 years ago, all that time tapering and one slip can knock me right back again.  I am beyond exhausted, in pain and my stomach is terrible. Mornings are torture, every day I get up with that feeling of dread and wondering how long I can keep going. Sleep is almost non existent again and concentration is nil.  I've heard people say this on here before, but not experienced how just one pill can have such a long lasting effect.  Brain zaps, tingling in lips, dizziness, nausea, excess stomach acid, headache, insomnia, muscle and joint pain, exhaustion, itchy skin and scalp, plus 'depression'. Seeing my grandsons lifts me out of it for a while and they are a good distraction, they are a joy to have around but wear me out! Today I had them fr an hour while mum was at work and I had a doctors appointment. We walked through the muddy field and it was cold and windy. It is only a 5 minute walk for most but we took 20 minutes. The little 4 year old looked at me with his gorgeous big blue eyes and windswept curly hair and said it was a lovely day and he likes walking in the field with grandma in the wind. I was glad I decided to walk, and made that decision because they begged me to walk instead of driving. Otherwise I would have taken the car. They are moving in 10 days time and I will hardly see them, I will miss them so much. 

I am glad that I found SA because I know that this will not last, that it will pass. That is my mantra once again, this too shall pass........

2002  effexor. 

Sorry you are still suffering ...from that i effexor tablet.

Hey i just reaized that i did a very similar thing or should i say someone did a similar thing to me.

About two years ago next month i fell from the ladder climbing onto the roof landed flat on my back and in hospital with a broken collarbone and in pain. (it was a miracle it wasnt worse). They gave me some morphine. When i told the doc i am not interested in taking anything addictive he gave me a tramodol and said it is not addictive ..i took one tablet and due to my gut feeling not to take another i didnt.

When i got home i did some research and learnt i had swallowed a snri (like effexor) i was furious! So there ya go you are not alone...

No wonder i was spaced out and dizzy for ages after that ...

Its just impossible to be informed. 

Im sure you will fel better soon.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear MammaP, I'm so sorry things are still so tough for you. But true to what you are, you still have the strength to support those around you and even us here.

I know so well how this back to square one feels. Always equally brutal. And I also think the same as you about this gift of hope and perspective that this beautiful community has given us. When I read through your latest posts talking about great struggle I see great strength. From my standpoint it is a lot easier to see how this is something temporary and limited in time. But I very well know how being in the eye of the storm with your boat being viciously hurled by waves it doesn't feel like that at all. That's why your visit was so precious to me and that's why I wanted to give a similar gift to you. The way you describe how you deal with intrusive thoughts is so very beautiful that it will give me the courage not to allow my negative thoughts to build a nest. At the same time you are a grandma walking in the wind and creating beautiful memories for your grandchildren. 

I know you will find a warm and cosy home for yourself where you will be able to share your warmth. In the meantime and always you have us here to make you a virtual cup of tea....Now we can just pull down our sails and endure...  

Big hugs

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Hugs to you Mammap..when I read your posts I sense such a warm person..

More healing to you xxx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Love the bird analogy :) 

I am glad to see the little ones are making life interesting no matter how brief Here's one of my Mom's for you " A change is as good as a rest" A bit of joy to break up the wd life I am sure is welcomed. 

Take good care Mamma and rest when you can... I have no further advice as I know you already know. I hope the holidays are happy for you. 

peace B

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

• 1 month later...

You are in my thoughts and in my prayers Mamma hugs to you today

I wish you peace

Had a car accident in 85

• 3 weeks later...

You are in my thoughts and in my prayers Mamma hugs to you today

I wish you peace

Just checking :) I would not want you to think we forgot about you.  

Wishing you peace B

Had a car accident in 85

• Moderator Emeritus

It seems such a long time since I was here and I've missed being here, but real life has been pretty, can't find the right word! Turmoil and some pretty rough trials, but with some positive experiences thrown in too. I went on holiday to Malta with my friend and we had an amazing time. It was really good to be with someone who is easy to talk to and likes similar things. We had a great time and were able to do our own thing too without feeling guilty. She went off sightseeing while I settled down in the lounge with a book or to just watch people come and go. We came together in the evening for dinner and each day did what we felt like doing, sometimes together and sometimes not.  We took bus rides and had some fun too, little old ladies giggling like schoolgirls. We already have the next one booked for September when it isn't too hot.  :D

Came back to some family crises that were tough, and being alone here things began to weigh heavily. Insomnia was back full force and the after effects of the accidental dose of effexor continued. I got to a very low ebb and finally gave in and confided in a minister who listened while I poured out my heart and soul. That night I slept and felt like a huge weight had been lifted and all he did was listen.  There is no substitute for a listening ear and usually talking helps to put things into perspective.  Typing on a computer doesn't have the same release, and talking helped to put things into perspective. 

Then off I went to my old town with my daughter, grandsons and 3 of my grandkids, it was lovely and we had a great time catching up with family and friends. we all enjoyed it and came back stronger. I got to spend time with my 16 year old grandaughter who came with us, it was the first time we have spent any quality time together as previously it had been a few hours here and there with months or even years between.  A cottage by the sea was perfect and the kids loved going on the beach to find treasures and the odd crab. No money needed or spent, just fresh winter sea air and no phone signal or internet! 

A few days after we returned I realised that I felt ill after taking the tramadol in the evening, and that it was the very same as the side effects from the effexor which makes sense because it is an SSRI. I took notes and decided that it was time to start to taper the last 50mg. The day after cutting 10% I woke up without the usual hangover and wondered why my head felt clearer then remembered I had cut the dose. The next couple of days were the same and I thought it was great! Then on day 4 the withdrawal started, only mild but definitely withdrawal, with the odd brain zap thrown in. My first reaction was to go back up but that is not going to happen when it was just a 10% cut to 49.5, made by dissolving the powder then drawing up 10% and discarding it. I'll wait a few more days then make smaller cuts if it continues. It isn't bad just a bit uncomfortable. If the insomnia gets bad again I'll have to make smaller cuts because I can't function when I don't get any sleep for days on end. So far it's just some bad dreams and that awful state when I don't know if it's real or not. 

Oh I have to tell you about my fish, I bought a second hand fish tank, just a small one after seeing a video on youtube about aquascaping, it was so beautiful I thought I'd have a go. It was disastrous to start, I took advice from the pert shop who just wanted to sell me the set up  and I lost some fish because they didn't tell me the important stuff about beneficial bacteria and growing the eco system gradually before putting in fish! I had to start again and now have a lovely tank with some happy little fish and have just bought a new one after the latest fish decided he didn't like company and had to have his own bachelor pad to stop him killing the others. Now I have 2 tanks and could easily have one in every room, they are so relaxing to watch.  :)

I think that is my news condensed, now I have to catch up with all yours.  :)

2002  effexor. 

MP,

You have no idea how much I have thought about you lately and I am overjoyed to read your post today. It was delightful and definitely sounds like you are going to be making a very nice recovery one of these days.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Thanks for the update happy to see life is good 

peace

Had a car accident in 85

• Moderator Emeritus

I've been inquiring about you:)

It was great to read the update. Hugs

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

MP,

You have no idea how much I have thought about you lately and I am overjoyed to read your post today. It was delightful and definitely sounds like you are going to be making a very nice recovery one of these days.

Thank you CW, I think about you lots too, I haven't caught up with your thread yet, hope you are doing ok. 

Thanks for the update happy to see life is good 

peace

Thanks BT, it's always good to see you post here, hope you are doing well and improving.

I've been inquiring about you:)

It was great to read the update. Hugs

Thanks Bubble, Hope you had a great holiday, need to catch up with your news too, theres so much to catch up on! I've been back in the saddle doing some research, it's been so long, it must be months since I've been around properly. 

2002  effexor. 

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Time for an update. My tramadol taper has settled now but the original 10% cut in March was too much and I had to updose to 47.5. It took a couple of weeks to settle again, my nervous system must still be very fragile.  Stayed at 47.5 for 5 weeks then last week reduced to 45 and was fine, no symptoms then 2 days ago forgot to take out the 0.5 and was ill! Yesterday was a very sleepy day and was in a lot of pain, brain froze and couldn't think straight. A bit better today so hopefully that little error won't have long term consequences like the last error which made me ill for months! I wouldn't have believed that such a small amount over my dose would make such a difference. 50mg instead of 45! Must be extra careful and concentrate. I mixed the liquid then downed it all  :blush:

2002  effexor. 

2 of my most favorite people (among all my other faves, oh well heck, there's a lot on this board!) updated their threads today, o happy day!

I am glad to hear from you MP, had really hope you were starting to climb out of the hole that extra dose of med got you in. You are definitely supersensitive to these drugs but to your credit, you realize that and are going carefully. Someone I know is taking tramadol for some kind of pain related to a cancer surgery and I swear she is completely loopy most of the time, especially right after it kicks in. When I told her it was an AD she said "whoopee, that's why I am so happy all of the time". Sheesh.

Do you have an update on how you are sleeping?

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi CW, thanks for checking in. Sleep is still not great but insomnia is a side effect of tramadol so hopefully when it is done sleep will come. It is better than that horrendous withdrawal insomnia that was unrelenting! I seem to get blocks of 90 minutes which I read is the sleep cycle stages but most people stay asleep through the those stages, I wake up, wide awake but tired out. Sometimes I make a cuppa and play a couple of rounds of panda pop, others I just lay there and relax. I don't stress about it because that achieves nothing and prevents sleep. Pain often wakes me up and it's hard to get off again but that is something I just have to live with. 

I was at the GP surgery last Friday for a review with my new GP and was crying with pain, the slightest movement sometimes sets me off. My hands and feet are very painful and terrible cramps in my feet that make my toes bent in weird ways! Pins and needles, burning pain on soles and palms which are symptoms of peripheral neuropathy but you and I know it can be withdrawal. The pain is in the joints is the arthritis, just cruelly letting me know that it is still here and having joints replaced doesn't mean it's gone away, it's finding other joints to play with!  I told the doctor all about my sensitivities and she was really good, it's all in my notes and she was covering each drug in turn asking about the side effects. She didn't disagree when I said it was because of all the psych drugs I had for many years! It was good to be taken seriously at last. I told her about tapering off effexor and she was impressed but didn't tell her I am tapering tramadol, just that I can't take more than 1 a day because of side effects. She took some blood and has referred me for an MRI of my spine because of the trapped nerves and back pain, and is going to refer me to rheumatology to see if they can offer any non drug treatments. 

I had a call on Tuesday to say my results are back and I have to go in to discuss the results. That has worried me a bit, I don't get called in unless something has showed up so I'm wondering what it is. They were back very quick too, it normally takes a week but it was Tuesday when I got the call. I go on Monday so will update when I've been. Bit nervous, usually I don't hear anything unless I call for results, no news is good news! 

Hope you are doing well, or as well as can be, I need to catch up on some threads! 

2002  effexor. 

Hi Mamma good to see you back I hope all turns out well with the blood work.  I knew that drug was addictive I took it before but could not get my brain to work well when the doc suggested it. Put her off and she said I can't make you take anything and would not try to II am just an advisor... I said I know that is why I like you... very unlike other doctors I have known .. I sure am not the same either not drugged now. 

I have had the toes doing moving in odd ways it may well be a wd thing... we know the burning is.  My sleep is off now too so sympathise with you there I try not to worry about it like you I know it only makes it worse... I don't have any advice for you as you know what I know... :)  

Looking at your supplements I see you can tolerate more than I fish oil is a no go for me now and I take the probiotics hit and miss ... it may all be in my head but I thought for awhile now that they increase my pain if I take them every day so I go hit and miss with them ... go back full force is any gut issues pop up. 

Nice to see you back... as always wishing you peace B

Had a car accident in 85

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Time for an update. Had x rays and scans, and saw my GP for the results yesterday. I have osteoarthritis in my hands, osteogenesis and a bulging disc in my lower back. The arthritis and the disc were no surprise but wasn't expecting the osteogenesis.  The bone are weakened and now I need a bone density scan. I swear the drugs over the years are at least part to blame for a lot of my health problems. The pain is always there but there isn't anything that can be done. I wouldn't take any more drugs anyway, whatever they offered!   My new GP is lovely, I will be sorry to lose her when I move from here, she is a rarity! She understands my drug sensitivities and never argued when I said that it was the psych drugs that caused it. She said that as I was diagnosed with bi polar I need an annual mental health check.  She asked about previous meds and I told her the story of polydrugging and how ill I was on effexor. Then told her that I had tried to stop it, that doctors had tried to get me off by alternating days etc.  Then said that I did it myself by counting the beads and too 3 years to taper off it. She was very impressed and said "good for you" !   She said that they are always there for me and I can make an urgent appointment just to talk if needed and understood that I would not take any more drugs. Was very impressed that I took control and got out of the drugged state and keep going despite all my health issues. I think she is one of the rare ones who has done research. Next time I go I will talk more about tapering and this forum. I haven't told her yet that I'm tapering tramadol, just collecting my scripts in case she says it doesn't need tapering and cuts it off like many doctors do because it is a pain med. 

Tramadol is proving to be a pain to taper and have to go very very carefully. I dropped 2.5% a time to get from  50mg to 45mg, a total of 10%,   then held for a few weeks before dropping  another 1mg. I will do the same again, tiny drops every 2-3 weeks until I've totalled 10% then hold a few weeks. It seems to work better that way, dropping even 5%  led to withdrawal. It's quite easy with the liquid so far but figuring out the numbers when I get lower will be a challenge!  I have 1ml and 0.5ml syringes that are well marked  so should be able to work it out.  :wacko: .  

I had a very busy weekend away, a full day convention and a show.  We went to see the Speakmans, they are a couple who are therapists and life coaches here in the UK. They work with people who suffer from PTSD, phobias, anxiety etc.  They are really good and have helped thousands of people but most of what they teach can be found here in the non drug forum.  They teach people to change their way of thinking instead of using drugs but I was a bit concerned when they read a testimonial from someone then said the lady was taking medication and is now free of drugs. 

Alarm bells went off in my head, I also saw a lady on their website who said that she couldn't sleep without sleeping pills but after a session with them she licked the pills and slept fine.  Alarm bells again! They could have been melatonin or supplements , she didn't elaborate but I am concerned that people will be going off their drugs and into withdrawal.  :angry:  I am going to email them and ask their stance on drugs and whether they encourage people to quit them C/T, it will be interesting to see what their thoughts are. Their methods are very good though, and they only see people once. They don't sugarcoat their words, and it seems to work.  Someone was afraid of spiders and they asked why, what have spiders ever done to you. Their mum was scared of them and it was passed on to the kids. They asked again why they were scared,  someone else being scared isn't an excuse!  Within 10 minutes the guy was holding a tarantula!  All the time he was hooked up to a heart monitor and the rate was dropping throughout, it wa fascinating to watch! 

I dragged my daughter with me because she is scared of flying, we will see if it works when we go on holiday, I'll try their tactics and probably get a frosty glare but if it works I can put up with a bit of frost  ;)

I now have to get back into the courtyard and water the many pots I've planted before they wither up and die.  Supposed to be resting to bring my BP down but I think pottering about and playing with plants will be better than bed rest .  :P

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Good update, MammaP!

I'm sorry about the pain.  It's so hard to deal with chronic discomfort.  Hopefully, it will remit for you.

You are doing really well!

:D

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,