☼ Hello. mammaP checking in!

mammaP

• Administrator

And a cozy warm night to you, mammaP!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Alto, I had quite a good nights sleep last night.

Didn't sleep through but was comfy and settled even when awake so was not so badly 

'hungover' this morning.  :)

I went to the pool and had a 45 minute swimming lesson. I can swim but have never learned to breathe

properly and can only do breast stroke which is difficult now with the arthritis. 

My coach was very impressed that I was willing to do anything at all and soon had me doing different things.

I can now kick and do the back crawl. I started on breathing and front crawl but couldn't co-ordinate everything! 

I enjoyed it and am looking forward to my next lesson.

My grandaughter is coming to stay tonight and bringing her friend too so have had to make up the spare beds.

Now I need to clear my grandson's clutter from the spare room, I couldn't see the floor and there was a strange

smell in there. He had shoved his soaking wet boiler suit under the bed after cleaning gutters for the rugby club! 

earlier this week  :o  I've got the girls chocolates and will put a scented candle in the room to get rid of the pong of

her smelly brother  :lol:

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

My cozy night didn't quite turn out like that! The girls arrived about 10.30pm after being out all day

and went straight to their room to practise their singing. ( They are going to be pop stars y'know ;) )

I didn't mind that at all, I like to hear them singing away, it means they are happy and makes me happy.

The neighbours had their christmas songs on so loud I couldn't hear my tv. Over and over again the

same songs, if I go into a shop and hear 'do they know it's christmas' I think I'll run away screaming, lol.

At 1.30am I complained (by banging the floor) and it was turned down thankfully. I've never done that

before so was surprised and grateful that they turned down the volume. 5 minutes later they were fighting

and throwing things until 3am   :angry:  It was 2am on Thursday when the police took one of them away. I'm

just glad I managed to have a good night on Friday! 

Today I am exhausted and irritated, the girls are good and haven't been any trouble, stayed in their room

most of the time, singing. One direction songs thankfully! My grandaughter told me she has never had a

friend for a sleepover because she shares a room with her sister and she is so happy to have her friend

with her.

I hope the neighbours don't start again tonight, it really gets me down. They were quiet for a few weeks,

I think they split up for a while but  must be back on again.  :unsure:

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Wishing you a much deserved break from the noise and activity. Maybe today and tonight are that time!!

RU :)

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Prayers for a peaceful night. 

As a granddaughter who was taken in - it means a lot to your granddaughter that you created a way for her to experience a sleep-over. Kuddos!

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ahhh thanks Amy and RU. It is all quiet tonight, it is 10 pm and all is peaceful so will be heading to bed very soon. 

I didn't realise until today that 4 of my grandkids never take friends home, they bring their friends here all the time. 

My other grandkids who are older used to bring their friends for sleepovers. I love having them around.  :)

Unless I'm feeling ill, but they seem to know when I'm not well, they ask if I need anything then go on their way. 

2002  effexor. 

I hope you have a quiet night mammaP, you certainly deserve it! I think it is wonderful what you do for your kids and grand kids and it is so nice that they are respectful of you when you are not feeling well. They have obviously been raised well thanks to you!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

It is now 31 days since my last drop of 1 bead and I've had only very mild withdrawal. 

I'm tempted to go down to 2 now, but think I might wait a bit longer because I don't want to risk 

withdrawal again. I can hardly believe I am talking about dropping from 3 tiny beads to 2,

it sounds crazy to be nervous about that and my doctor would scoff , in fact anyone who

hasn't been through withdrawal would think I was crazy! 

There has been some stress too and I've coped with it ok. Things changed a lot when I dropped

that last bead but it's hard to explain what it was that changed. I felt it, it was physical, as if it

suddenly stopped making me sick and I felt a calm inside. That hasn't changed, it is a strange 

feeling for me but a good one.  :)

2002  effexor. 

One or two beads can make a difference so I do understand your reluctance.  Stressors add fuel to a fire we are trying to keep under control.  Christmas is a few weeks away and then New Year's....so maybe not doing anything is a good thing.

For alot of people there is a crash after the Holidays (right after New Year's) when we start to put our decorations away.

Believe it or not I too, have experienced what you were describing as a physical change.  More of a sense of calm.  When I am working hard I may become tired, but I feel satisfied that I am making progress in my business and working towards a financial goal I have set for myself.

I am happy for you to be feeling calm :);):P:D:lol:

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

I will leave it a bit longer vefore I drop again, don't want to rock the boat! 

I was going through what I've done in the last 2 weeks for my CBT appointment today,

and I am surprised at how much I have actually done.  Most 'normal' people will do 

these things every day without even thinking about it but they are huge for me! 

The last few days I've made my bed as soon as I got up.....usually I fall into it just

the way it was when I fell out of it. I had a grocery order delivered and no ready meals or junk in it. 

Over the weekend I made 2 casseroles, a huge pot of spaghetti bolognese and NO jars of anything

went into it, just fresh ingredients.

And the jewel in the crown was a roast chicken, with fresh veg, even the parsnips and potatoes

were hand peeled and not pre prepared! 

My spare room is now tidy and uncluttered, the beds made up. It is the first time since I moved

here 2 years ago that it has been clear. It was done because the girls were coming last weekend

and if they hadn't been it would probably still be a mess, but it's done. 

I have help with the cleaning and that motivates me to tidy up before she arrives. 

It's odd how I can do it when someone is coming round but not for myself! 

I went shopping yesterday for some new clothes too, if I'm throwing away all my rubbish stuff I 

need something to wear! I went to the swimming pool on Saturday and had a swimming lesson. 

I'm quite surprised and pleased, a year ago, even 6 months ago I couldn't do so much and 2 years ago

was almost comatose! It makes me want to weep thinking about all the people who are so sick on AD's,

and grateful that I had the motivation to get off them 

2002  effexor. 

Oh mammaP, what an inspiring, positive post this is! You have really accomplished a lot and your determination is very much admired. I am so glad things are continuing to look up for you. Everything is on a positive, upward direction and I know you will reach your goal! Hugs for you {{}}

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you CW, That hug was lovely  :) .

After my very positive posting yesterday, I started to feel ill in the afternoon, it came on quite suddenly.

My head felt very heavy and my eyes were closing so I went to bed. It was about 3.30pm. I just laid there for 

a while then started to doze. It was the typical kind of experience before tapering. Kind of awake and asleep

all at once, dreaming but not sleeping, makes no sense does it? But that is how it was for years. Then I did

drop off and woke up suddenly with panic and suicidal thoughts! I thought, whoa, where did that come from? 

After that I feel unwell. Didn't sleep too badly last night and couldn't wake up this morning. The alarm was

going and the clock light was on but I couldn't drag myself out of it. Now I feel very tired and want to go back

to bed again.. I guess it's another wave and I'll ride it. 

My head is spinning and I feel sick, my joints are sore and my hands are like claws they are so stiff. 

It seems  very odd that this is the same as I felt every single day on the 37.5 of effexor. 

Is it a wave, is it because I need off it now, I'm not sure but will ride it for a while and see. 

When I started  tapering, I would drop a few beads, then feel great for a few hours, that is normal, then

feel a bit dizzy and nauseous, (withdrawal) then feel ok for a while. Then would feel the side effects again.

That is when I would take another drop. Didn't really follow a timetable, just what my body was saying.

Then I stopped at 5 beads, hit full blown withdrawal and came here. It took 7 months before being stable

enough to take another drop. That was 4-5 weeks ago. I'm a bit confused now! 

2002  effexor. 

I would be confused too, mammaP. I am sorry you felt ill yesterday. Sounds like something knocked your system off. Maybe not the best time to take a drop just yet? Only you can be the judge of that but whatever you do, please take care of yourself. You are such a valuable asset here!

• Moderator Emeritus

I just realised, I've cut out sugar to get candida under control. The yeast will be dying off,

bet if I went to the baker and bought some cakes I would feel better ! They said I could feel

ill while the yeast is being killed off. I wonder how long that will take, hope it isn't long! 

2002  effexor. 

MamaP I just finished posting to Bubble.  When I was a wreck recently I realized after my panic which is my first reaction to anything is that I had a virus which is running around Palm Beach County.  In speaking with a friend she said it is the type of virus where we don't know what the heck is wrong.

Could be a winter bug......and yes it can be WD, but something tells me it may just be feeling unwell for something. 

Sadly, we all fall into the same boat of thinking we are experiencing WD when anything crops up.  But it may not be.

You will pull out of it and give yourself permission to rest.  More often than not, resting is the answer to all of our woes.....

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Thank you CW, That hug was lovely  :) .

After my very positive posting yesterday, I started to feel ill in the afternoon, it came on quite suddenly.

My head felt very heavy and my eyes were closing so I went to bed. It was about 3.30pm. I just laid there for 

a while then started to doze. It was the typical kind of experience before tapering. Kind of awake and asleep

all at once, dreaming but not sleeping, makes no sense does it? But that is how it was for years. Then I did

drop off and woke up suddenly with panic and suicidal thoughts! I thought, whoa, where did that come from? 

After that I feel unwell. Didn't sleep too badly last night and couldn't wake up this morning. The alarm was

going and the clock light was on but I couldn't drag myself out of it. Now I feel very tired and want to go back

to bed again.. I guess it's another wave and I'll ride it. 

My head is spinning and I feel sick, my joints are sore and my hands are like claws they are so stiff. 

It seems  very odd that this is the same as I felt every single day on the 37.5 of effexor. 

Is it a wave, is it because I need off it now, I'm not sure but will ride it for a while and see. 

When I started  tapering, I would drop a few beads, then feel great for a few hours, that is normal, then

feel a bit dizzy and nauseous, (withdrawal) then feel ok for a while. Then would feel the side effects again.

That is when I would take another drop. Didn't really follow a timetable, just what my body was saying.

Then I stopped at 5 beads, hit full blown withdrawal and came here. It took 7 months before being stable

enough to take another drop. That was 4-5 weeks ago. I'm a bit confused now! 

Just a note Momma there is a topic at pp think a thread at topics too about sleep state misperception ... those of us who have lived it know what your talking about if you want to know more about it you can find the links.. it is very old.  

I was a part of the discussion long ago at pp about this but my posts are now missing if you want me to clarify anything on that thread I may be able to help not promising but maybe...  I know the gist of it.. at least. Bottom line it does not sound strange to me it is a side effect of the drugs for sure-that is my take on it. There are many things that sound strange to the rest of the world that are not to us.  Ok yes it is strange but this is just one more time where we are normal people dealing with an abnormal circumstance so try not to worry about this too will stop when this is all behind you.  

I for one go thru bouts exactly like you speaking of SEVEN years after cold turkey sorry didn't mean to yell just want it noted that ...whatever is the cause I think it stays with us ever after we are off the drugs...here I am talking about the physical things...I don't think it is the flu because it is so short lived now... too short to be the flu...  the sleep is another matter. 

.It started with drugs and stopped sometime I would say around the 3rd year off the drugs... has not come back... the sleep state stuff... awake but not asleep but not... that issue.. or woke up but the dream didn't end... I hope it stays gone.  There may have been a couple of small things after a dream but it clears immediately like it use to before antidepressants... I think for me this is done ...hope it is. 

One things I find odd is burning painful lumps in the bottom of my feet... those drive me nuts they come on feeling like a super powerful bee sting... and I can't walk on that foot for a day or so..not normally ... then it just seems to go away.  Could be unrelated but part of me thinks it isn't... maybe immune response... that is a greay area what is the immune effects of these drugs...that needs study. 

I think it is best to know you will beat this and along the way you will have times where it will boss you and other times where you will be ok... the best advice I can give is live the best life you can when your the boss and wait out the other times.. I know not much in the way of advice but it is the best I have right now... I hope you feeling better. 

This may sound odd to you and I hope some other people come on here to make suggestions too...some who have tapered as I didn't but I have heard other talk about feeling unwell as being a sign they should drop further... now I may have this completely wrong so DO NOT act on it till others come to say if it could help. It is just an idea I have seen other use before.  To me it sounds backwards... but things in withdrawal can be strange. 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for your replies Nikki and Btdt.  I feel a bit better today and  went shopping for groceries. 

Btdt when I was in the psych ward the doc told me I had a chronic sleep disorder but never said

exactly what. That kind of experience certainly isn't new for me and I even experienced it before 

I started the drug merry go round. It used to scare me rigid years ago,

I thought I was possessed or something sinister was happening. Once I knew it was a physical thing

I started to just ride it. It can still be frightening if the dreams are bad ones, until I do wake up properly

I have no idea if it is real or not. I've had a lot of trauma in my life  and don't know if any of that could

have anything to do with it. It is always worst when I'm stressed or 'depressed'. 

I'm not sure depressed is the right word any more, but lets say the 'brain dead' stage I go through

sometimes. My youngest daughter has parasomnia and has similar experiences but she acts them out

and sleep walks. Again that is when she is stressed and it started after her dad died when she was 12. 

I'll have a search and see if I can find those topics, it is really interesting to know what is happening with

all these weird feelings. 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I feel quite sick again today, nauseous, light headed and exhausted. I went shopping yesterday 

and that can be enough to wipe me out but didn't sleep much last night and that won't have helped.

The nausea and dizziness are back, and visual disturbances too. For an hour or so the outer side of

vision was distorted and 'wriggling' , making me feel very sick. I've never had that before.

Still wondering if it is removing sugar and yeast  from my diet that is responsible, or withdrawal. 

Maybe I should eat a do-nut and see if it goes away, then I will know.

Cakes for experimental purposes don't count do they  ;)

2002  effexor. 

I have heard of similar symptoms when friends have d/c sugar. Could be a combo. I hope that you feel better quickly. Oh, and its cupcakes that don't count. Cupcakes are muffins without the top and muffins are healthy :)

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Sounds like a migraine starting to me.  

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• Moderator Emeritus
Still wondering if it is removing sugar and yeast  from my diet that is responsible, or withdrawal. 

I know pretty much nothing about this kind of thing, but I do remember recently reading in a post about something called 'toxic die off', I think it was.  I think it was related to candida and sugar, I might be wrong but the idea was that you starve the organism of its 'food', it dies and then multiplies in the blood stream for a while before being flushed out :unsure:

Maybe drink more water for a while.  Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will chime in.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Feeling much better this morning, still a bit wobbly but better than yesterday. That makes perfect sense with the

toxic die off Petu, I was warned that I might feel a bit out of sorts but wasn't expecting to feel so ill! 

Last night I as I was going to bed I realised I had a glass of water beside my chair that had been there since morning

and only half had gone! That wouldn't have helped AT ALL. I drank a pint of water before going to bed and believe

that's probably why I feel better. Dehydration isn't good and I should have reliaed I wasn't drinking! Probably because

I wasn't eating either for the nausea. Every meal I take a pint of water and renew it at the next meal. If I haven't finished it

I drink it before the meal so the glass is always emptied. It's a habit I got into to make sure I was drinking enough.

2002  effexor. 

MamaP I hope you are feeling better.  It is difficult to tell the difference between something 'real' and something that is WD based. 

Rest, hydration, eating good foods helps alot.  I was reading on FB about Epsom salt baths and how they can remove or ease pains and toxins.

How is the weather there now.....that video was amazing.

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nikki, feel a lot better now thank you, I blame everything on withdrawal !!

Don't know what I'll blame everything on once it's over, probably STILL blame it for everything  ;) .

I love epsom salts in the bath, I bought 10kg and keep it in a huge tin next to the bath.  Locally it cost

£3.95 for 200grams, I put that in 1 bath, so bought in bulk for around £15!

The weather has been lovely for 3 days now, in fact it was warmer outside than inside yesterday, I

went to put the bins out and was met with a whoosh of warm air and sunshine when I opened the door!

That's how it is here, you never know what the weather will be like next day. 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Haven't slept for a while, just dozed on and off. My bedroom is at the front.

I sleep in there because of the noisy neighbours, it's over the 'bridge' between buildings 

and not above their apartment so can't hear them fighting unless they take it outside.

Trouble is that it's also the main trunk road that isn't built for the volume of traffic.

Lately there has been a huge amount of heavy lorries going past through the night.

I think it's probably deliveries to stores through the night because of the christmas 

rush. Every time one goes past it hits a bump in the road and sounds like the building

is collapsing.  Earplugs are useless because the floor vibrates and my bed shakes! 

So I moved into the spare room, which is right above the noisy neighbours. It's only

been 3 nights and so far they haven't taken their fights in there but can't sleep in that bed! 

I am so tired I feel sick. Just 2 hours good sleep would help. My consolation is that soon the 

trucks will be back to daytime! 

2002  effexor. 

Why don't you try to help yourself sleep with a little Valerian root tincture Petu........

It has been very helpful to me.

You MUST sleep.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Hi MammaP, You mentioned candida - have you ever considered 'oil pulling'?  I found it very helpful in restoring my energy some months ago when I had candida badly....I cut sugar and yeast and did the oil pulling for a week and it made a masssive difference to my energy level in about a week (prior to that I was sooooooo fatigued that I never felt that I had slept).

You can find some really useful videos on you tube on oil pulling - I will leave it to the experts there to describe it for you, but it is painless and safe and gentle and I found effective...gut health is important it would seem in all of this...I am also taking (as advised by the nutritionist) bio acidolfilus (x2 per day) for good gut health.

One thing about the oil pulling though, don't be tempted to let the oil just 'sit' in your mouth...you have to actively move it around and 'swish' it!!  Oh, and I used organic coconut oil.

Hope you are well this evening x

May 2001 - age 24 given 20 mg seroxat. Tried to reduce myself after a year. Told by GP to take on alternate days and I would be fine. FAIL. Assumed 'wrong time' due to university stress and that my 'depression' must be worse than I thought.

Increased dose to 30 mg December 2002. Tried the same technique as before to reduce- made it down to a quarter tablet but couldn't stand symptoms, had a sneaking suspicion that it was due to tablets but never considered dependency - 'depression is a diseased brain after all' (is what I was told)

Continued until October 2010 - tried to CT and managed to last five months - assumed the depression was really bad but had no understanding of the reason for awful anxiety. Ran back to GP started Prozac- went crazy thought I was going to die. Stopped Prozac after two weeks.

April 2010 Started sertraline. Stablished but felt numbed.

September 2010 Asked for seroxat again. Upped my dose to 30 after three weeks. Felt hyper, caffeinated, but functional. Glad to be over what I thought was 'depression'..

Realised it is the meds, want to be free at last - July 2012 started 10% taper from original dose and took supplements. Took suppliments sporadically and despite the temptation the taper, wanted it 'over with'. Taper took exactly six months and 10 days.

Reductions were as follows:
First 2 weeks- 27 mg
Next 2- 24mg
Next 2- 21 mg
Next 2- 18mg
Next 2 15 mg
Next 2 12 mg (held for four weeks due to house move from London back to Ireland)
Next 2 weeks- 9 mg
Next 2 weeks- 6 mg
Next 2- weeks 3 mg
Next 2 weeks 1.5 mg (held for 5 weeks as scared)
10th February 2013 Jumped to zero

Within 3 weeks sadness, led to anxiety.  Restarted suppliments - helped a bit.  Stressful move to London. A lot of fatigue and DEEP emotions. Crying LOTS. Took suppliments on and off, moved back to Ireland after being back in London for only eight weeks as felt too sad and unsettled. 

No suppliments when moved back.  Unhappy at being back, scared I wouldn't ever find happiness - deep deep sadness, anger, STUPIDLY went back to doctor and decided I must just be a 'depressive'.  Given Citalopram/Celexa 20mg.

Took it for seven days, changed my mind, decided to be 'strong' and put it behind me. (No particularly adverse effects that I recall, save for day 5 having inner vibrations in arms and legs) Still had pack of tablets however and every time emotions got hard felt I had to 'go back onto tablets'.  I did this from July until November. (On them off them on them off them) ........

Started to get body vibrations and told myself it was 'anxiety' and I was 'giving myself panic attacks.  I continued to cry as I 'started' the tablets again and again - not wanting to go back there but not sure what else to do. 

More vibrations - but didn't make the connection that I had a compromised CNS -  thought it was anxiety....chest started to pound in Sept, vibrations continued...lost weight, became anxious, sleep was awful and I tried a variety of remedies to replace the tablets and calm my anxiety and lift my mood.  I think they made things worse.

(These included, St.Johns Wort, Rescue Remedy, Homeopathic treatments, Chinese herbs, Passiflora, and suppliments from the online company who state they are experts in assisting people get off meds)

Also did the following:

Talking therapy

Human Givens Therapy

Homeopathy

Narcotics Anonymous

October 23rd took Citalopram (20mg) for 12 days - no relief

November 6th Started Seroxat 10 mg (to be safe) stupidly upped to 20 the next day.

Stayed on 20 for 18 days, no relief, stopped for two days suddenly, relief came - short lived, vibrations and torture came after 72 hours.  Suicidal for days.  Upped to 30 thinking it would improved.  Even more suicidal.  Dropped to 20 again (December 9th) not suicidal, but not better. Started liquid 28th December reduced to 18 mg in effort to reduce and stabilise.  Don't know where to go from here.  Living with parents who are supportive beyond words.

Sweetcreature

if you let the oil 'sit' in your mouth and dont swish, you end up with ulcers!  that is how strong yet natural a method it must be!

May 2001 - age 24 given 20 mg seroxat. Tried to reduce myself after a year. Told by GP to take on alternate days and I would be fine. FAIL. Assumed 'wrong time' due to university stress and that my 'depression' must be worse than I thought.

Increased dose to 30 mg December 2002. Tried the same technique as before to reduce- made it down to a quarter tablet but couldn't stand symptoms, had a sneaking suspicion that it was due to tablets but never considered dependency - 'depression is a diseased brain after all' (is what I was told)

Continued until October 2010 - tried to CT and managed to last five months - assumed the depression was really bad but had no understanding of the reason for awful anxiety. Ran back to GP started Prozac- went crazy thought I was going to die. Stopped Prozac after two weeks.

April 2010 Started sertraline. Stablished but felt numbed.

September 2010 Asked for seroxat again. Upped my dose to 30 after three weeks. Felt hyper, caffeinated, but functional. Glad to be over what I thought was 'depression'..

Realised it is the meds, want to be free at last - July 2012 started 10% taper from original dose and took supplements. Took suppliments sporadically and despite the temptation the taper, wanted it 'over with'. Taper took exactly six months and 10 days.

Reductions were as follows:
First 2 weeks- 27 mg
Next 2- 24mg
Next 2- 21 mg
Next 2- 18mg
Next 2 15 mg
Next 2 12 mg (held for four weeks due to house move from London back to Ireland)
Next 2 weeks- 9 mg
Next 2 weeks- 6 mg
Next 2- weeks 3 mg
Next 2 weeks 1.5 mg (held for 5 weeks as scared)
10th February 2013 Jumped to zero

Within 3 weeks sadness, led to anxiety.  Restarted suppliments - helped a bit.  Stressful move to London. A lot of fatigue and DEEP emotions. Crying LOTS. Took suppliments on and off, moved back to Ireland after being back in London for only eight weeks as felt too sad and unsettled. 

No suppliments when moved back.  Unhappy at being back, scared I wouldn't ever find happiness - deep deep sadness, anger, STUPIDLY went back to doctor and decided I must just be a 'depressive'.  Given Citalopram/Celexa 20mg.

Took it for seven days, changed my mind, decided to be 'strong' and put it behind me. (No particularly adverse effects that I recall, save for day 5 having inner vibrations in arms and legs) Still had pack of tablets however and every time emotions got hard felt I had to 'go back onto tablets'.  I did this from July until November. (On them off them on them off them) ........

Started to get body vibrations and told myself it was 'anxiety' and I was 'giving myself panic attacks.  I continued to cry as I 'started' the tablets again and again - not wanting to go back there but not sure what else to do. 

More vibrations - but didn't make the connection that I had a compromised CNS -  thought it was anxiety....chest started to pound in Sept, vibrations continued...lost weight, became anxious, sleep was awful and I tried a variety of remedies to replace the tablets and calm my anxiety and lift my mood.  I think they made things worse.

(These included, St.Johns Wort, Rescue Remedy, Homeopathic treatments, Chinese herbs, Passiflora, and suppliments from the online company who state they are experts in assisting people get off meds)

Also did the following:

Talking therapy

Human Givens Therapy

Homeopathy

Narcotics Anonymous

October 23rd took Citalopram (20mg) for 12 days - no relief

November 6th Started Seroxat 10 mg (to be safe) stupidly upped to 20 the next day.

Stayed on 20 for 18 days, no relief, stopped for two days suddenly, relief came - short lived, vibrations and torture came after 72 hours.  Suicidal for days.  Upped to 30 thinking it would improved.  Even more suicidal.  Dropped to 20 again (December 9th) not suicidal, but not better. Started liquid 28th December reduced to 18 mg in effort to reduce and stabilise.  Don't know where to go from here.  Living with parents who are supportive beyond words.

Sweetcreature

mammaP,

I know how frustrating it is to try to sleep through noise because I have had to do it in the past. A couple of streets (!) over some people used to blast music at all hours of the day and the worst thing was the vibration of the bass sounds. I swear when you were right in front of the house it did not seem that loud but far away I could hear that booming through my closed windows! Got so many complaints the cops knew just where to go. They have been lots better about it last couple of years but it has gone on for over 10 years! Not quite as bad as you having the neighbors right under you, though. That has to be really hard and I feel for you.

Seems like all I do is read posts here on SA. I saw your comment about wanting to be a ballerina, I think it was. What an amazing thing to read about someone! All I wanted to be when I grew up was a nurse but I don't know why because when I actually became one, I knew it wasn't right for me. I had a romantic notion of what a nurse was and real life was no match for that. Right now all I want is to feel safe and comfortable in my own skin. You have lived through a lot and I hope the rest of your taper is successful. Sending big hugs!

I hope that you find a nice of peaceful sleep!

Current:

Discontinued:

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear Mamma,

after a long while I managed to find space and stick my head out from my distress to check on my favourite people here.

I've been reading through your posts which speak of bigger windows and shorter waves which is so encouraging for all of us.

Not only are you our rock here but yourfamily clearly feels the same way about you ;)

hope your son is better and wish for a peaceful rest for you!

It meant so much to me for being there for me in my dark moment.thank you so much!

Hugs,

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

AWWW thank you everyone, it was lovely to read your posts today. I went to bed in my own bed last night, 

no trucks but still couldn't sleep! Then around 2.30 I heard the shouting start but because I was in the

'quiet room' it was muffled. I kept drifting off then was confused about where I was and got agitated.

Coffee at 6.30 feeling dreadful, had a magnesium bath at 9 then tried to listen to my Sunday meeting

via telephone link but the noise was jarring so went back to bed. Finally fell asleep about noon and woke

at 1.30. I think this is a wave because I had a brain zap last night. Not a bad one,just withdrawal giving me

a swift kick to remind me it's still there! 

Sc, I have acidolphus capsules from the nutritionist, and caprylic ? tablets but only took 2 of those because 

I got cramps. Don't want to make things worse, even if it does work! I'd rather take it slow like tapering, the 

yeast will die eventually if it isn't getting fed. Oh my, I just remembered, when I went to my friends on Thursfay

I bought them some hand made belgian chocolates, they insisted I have one with them, then another  :blush: .

This morning I was very bloated, looks like I brought that on myself! It really doesn't pay to cheat!

.I've bought a filofax and will be buying a day to page appointment diary, Next year I will be logging everything

that passes my lips and everything I do. Because the diary pages are marked with the time it SHOULD be

pretty simple.  That way I will be able to chart my moods and work out if there is a pattern. The filofax will be

more general stuff and lists of what needs to be done each day. I've been without purpose or motivation for

so many years I'm hoping this will help me get my life back and understand my supposed  'bi-polar' .  :)

2002  effexor. 

MamaP.....sleep is everything.   I too have been having the candida thing.  Will look up oil pulling.  Can you swap out rooms with someone else or take a power nap to restore your energy?

Lot of hugs.....you are so helpful to me I really enjoy hearing from you.

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Moderator Emeritus

Not sure I could do the oil pulling, I hate oil, hate it in salad dressing and mop any excess off 

my food. I remember mum giving us cod liver oil as kids and I would gag so much I had to run

to the bathroom and became exempt, all the others were very miffed about that! ( 8 of us!) 

2002  effexor.