Minerals for anxiety or insomnia

compsports

Since I had just purchased a huge bottle of mag/cal pills, I decided to take one in the evening last night to see if it would help with insomnia. Many people on this site and the apnea board have extolled the benefits of mag/glycinate which I would have tried if I hadn't purchased this bottle.

Out of fear I would have a paradoxical reaction, I took it at 5pm. In retrospect, I am not sure what I was thinking because actually, if it had kept me up until the wee hours of the morning, that actually might have not been a bad thing since I keep falling asleep so early.

Anyway, my fears were totally groundless and as usual, after dinner, I felt totally comatose. When I fell asleep prematurely once again, I decided to see if I could fall back asleep and as a result, I ended up sleeping off of the machine just using a neck collar (to prevent some apneas) for 5 hours.

After sending someone a PM, I was able to fall back asleep for 2.5 more hours although I had to take the neck collar off to get totally relaxed. This is not surprising as I have been unable to get back to sleep unless I am not wearing anything for my apnea due to my hypersensitive body.

Anyway, I am going to try it again tonight under the exact same conditions. The questions I want to answer is did it work because I was exhausted from lack of sleep due to trying the cpap machine or can this work on a consistent basis off of the machine.

If it works well again tonight, then I will try using the machine tomorrow to see what happens. If I continue to have poor sleep on the machine, then this will indicate to me that I need to try a dental appliance for sleep apnea even though the chances of it working as well as the cpap machine are only about 40% due to my having severe apnea.. But I have come to conclude that getting a full night sleep with something that may not be as effective in treating my apnea is better than averaging 2 to 3 hours of sleep on the machine. And it isn't like I am stuck with this option forever.

Anyway, as you can see, it is a royal pain in the neck to isolate all the issues to see what is what. But it is a necessary evil.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

CS,

Please let me know what dose of Mag/Cal you're taking and at what time before sleep. Thanks. I'm taking it sometimes at night and it can upset my tummy if not careful.

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

• Moderator Emeritus

That sounds very promising CS,

It's hard to tell at this early stage whether it worked because you were exhausted. Sometimes I have a brilliant night's sleep and I wonder the same thing - is it a 'window', is it because of the supplement(s)or is it just because I'm so exhausted? I don't take any supplements at the moment because I don't seem to be able to get any consistent results from them and because I think I'm probably hypersensitive.

Keep us updated on how it goes.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

CS,

Please let me know what dose of Mag/Cal you're taking and at what time before sleep. Thanks. I'm taking it sometimes at night and it can upset my tummy if not careful.

Hi Aria,

I took two mag/cal pills yesterday. One in the morning and one at 5pm which was too early. Tonight, I am taking it around 7pm or 8pm. The pills equal a total of 1000mg calcium, 500mg MG, and 500 Phosphorous.

Some people have good luck taking mag by itself but when I have done that, that is when it has upset my stomach.

I use the Country Life Brand but probably anyone will do.

Good luck.

CS

That sounds very promising CS,

It's hard to tell at this early stage whether it worked because you were exhausted. Sometimes I have a brilliant night's sleep and I wonder the same thing - is it a 'window', is it because of the supplement(s)or is it just because I'm so exhausted? I don't take any supplements at the moment because I don't seem to be able to get any consistent results from them and because I think I'm probably hypersensitive.

Keep us updated on how it goes.

Thanks Basildev for understanding my predicament.

I am sorry you haven't had good luck with supplements.

CS

• Moderator Emeritus

yeah....it's a bummer, especially when I see how they seem to help others.

Fingers crossed for you CS :)

February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

yeah....it's a bummer, especially when I see how they seem to help others.

Fingers crossed for you CS :)

I know how you feel as I see pap therapy helping so many people. I keep trying to use it because the rare times it worked, it was like I was in a different world.

Unfortunately, I decided to try it tonight and only slept 3 hours.

Anyway, I am going to buy some mag glycinate and see if that is more helpful. And if necessary, I will add inisotol.

Sigh!

• Moderator Emeritus

I wish I could send you all the unused supplements I have!

I've tried pretty much everything!

Such a waste when somebody else could probably use them:)

I wish I could send you all the unused supplements I have!

I've tried pretty much everything!

Such a waste when somebody else could probably use them:)

Thanks Basildev, I know what you mean about unused supplements.

Since I posted this morning, I think I am going to try the glycine I previously purchased to see if it works. Probably has just as good a chance as the mag/glycinate.

CS

• Moderator Emeritus

I reckon you're right CS

I mean, you've got magnesium already (I presume)

Sorry you had only 3 hours sleep last night

Good luck tonight:)

I reckon you're right CS

I mean, you've got magnesium already (I presume)

Sorry you had only 3 hours sleep last night

Good luck tonight:)

Exactly! It seemed overkill to get more magnesium when I already had mag/cal

Thanks for your well wishes.

Unfortunately, taking the glycine only got me three hours on the machine. I am beginning to wonder if any supplement is going to work.

I am going to try sleeping on my side without any supplements and see if that makes a difference.

CS

• Moderator Emeritus

I know where you're coming from CS.

I think it's a hit and miss with supplements - they might work one night and then not the next - so I can never really find one that consistently helps me - it's so frustrating!

I really believe I hindered my withdrawal recovery by mucking around with supplements.

Maybe it's best to leave them alone for a while?

3 - hours sleep - I can't believe I was complaining about my insomnia! It's nothing compared to yours.

Hi CS...

Maybe it takes time to notice results? Could you give it a two week time frame? I understand that Rescue Remedy is a helpful sleep aid.

Nikki

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Hi CS...

Maybe it takes time to notice results? Could you give it a two week time frame? I understand that Rescue Remedy is a helpful sleep aid.

Nikki

Hi Nickki,

Thanks, the reason I don't think the supplement helps is I sleep the exact amount of time on the machine taking the supplement as I do if I don't take anything. If I had any type of improvement, I would give it more time.

Anyway, last night, I slept off of the machine for about 7 hours without taking anything but unfortunately, the sleep quality was lousy although certainly better than 3 hours on the machine.

Just have to keep trying different strategies to solve this problem.

I know where you're coming from CS.

I think it's a hit and miss with supplements - they might work one night and then not the next - so I can never really find one that consistently helps me - it's so frustrating!

I really believe I hindered my withdrawal recovery by mucking around with supplements.

Maybe it's best to leave them alone for a while?

3 - hours sleep - I can't believe I was complaining about my insomnia! It's nothing compared to yours.

Please don't think you can't complain about your issues just because it isn't as bad as the next person's. Loss of sleep hurts no matter what.

Yup, I am definitely leaving supplements alone except for the ones I take on a daily basis in early am.

CS

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks CS - still, I don't know how you do it!:)

• 3 weeks later...

This remedy may be specific to co-occurring health issues that do not affect other posters, however I should share I've noticed dramatic improvement in anxiety and difficulty falling asleep by taking bentonite clay internally with water on an empty stomach, or just after a fat sometimes, like a swig of olive or fish/flax oil.

I have slept 8-10 hours for the last few nights and have fallen asleep by 1am at the latest. I am in the midst of a BDZ drop and I find taking the clay helps with the anxiety when I feel it coming on.

Maybe this can help someone else.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow, Alex - that's an amazing result!

I've never heard of that remedy before. What time do you take it?

Will you keep us posted? I tend to try something and it might work for a few nights then it stops working.

Wow, Alex - that's an amazing result!

I've never heard of that remedy before. What time do you take it?

Will you keep us posted? I tend to try something and it might work for a few nights then it stops working.

I don't feel that it's amazing, it has drawbacks, but it's helped for sure.

I fluctutate frequency because I have struggled with borderline-severe constipation. Also, like any binding agent, I don't take other minerals or medications at or around the same time.

I use two brands, local to me but at least one is available on amazon and I take it between meals or, often, two hrs after final meds/supps just before bed.

I hope the positive effect I've experienced is shared!

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

!!!!! This is a new one on me. How did you find out about it?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

do you think it has helped your constipation Alex?

I'm prone to constipation and wouldn't want to aggravate it.

!!!!! This is a new one on me. How did you find out about it?

Coincidence. It's part of mold treatment. That's why I say it may be specific to my case. But anyone can try it. It's cheap.

- Zimmerman

do you think it has helped your constipation Alex?

I'm prone to constipation and wouldn't want to aggravate it.

No, it would exacerbate constipation most likely which is what it does with me. The clay I use is for mycotoxicosis which I suffer from and it has side effects, specifically intestinal distress and possibly effects on nutrient absorbtion. I have found that it also helps my w/d in a dose dependent manner.

So if you want to try it, feel free. There are no permanent effects. It;s just clay. It runs through you and thats that.

I certainly have less benzo anxiety when I take it but that may be because of co-factor health problems making neuro-agitation worse and the the co-factors are alleviated by the clay. In any event, I figured I'd share my experience.

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

ok thanks:)

I've heard of it and researched it and chose not to take it at the time but I don't remember why.

How much do you take at once?

It may be time to revisit since my body is in a radically different place since I checked it out...it comes up on my radar routinely...

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Well, I just purchased mag/glycinate to try for sleep but I will add this to the list of sleep agents as it sounds very interesting.

I am glad it is helping you Alex.

CS

• Administrator

My gut has calmed down, but I'll bet this would have helped me when my bowels were more agitated.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I've heard of it and researched it and chose not to take it at the time but I don't remember why.

How much do you take at once?

It may be time to revisit since my body is in a radically different place since I checked it out...it comes up on my radar routinely...

I take a teaspoon of living clay in a little water or take a capsule of Premiere Research Labs clay. I find the Living Clay (called Clay Detox Powder) more effective (http://www.livingclayco.com) though I take a teaspoon-ish which is more than is in one of the Premier capsules. Both of these companies are pretty local to me so I can get their stuff easily. There are other bentonite brands but these are the two I use.

- Zimmerman

Lol, This just makes me think of the fecal transplants being done for c.difficile (sp?) infections. And I'll probably be doing it when I finally get to my benzo....which I can't even imagine yet. Hope it works on both fronts!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

alex, how do you take the bentonite? What would be a little and what would be a lot?

In the beginning I took one capsule of Premier Medi-Clay on an empty stomach -- 45 minutes before a meal or particularly 2 hours after meal/supps/meds and before bed are the best for me. That worked well and got me comfortable with the idea of eating clay (!). I still use the Premier but more often I use the Living Clay brand which doesn't come in capsules. I use a teaspoon or more at a time. I'd say 3 capsules of the Premier equals a teaspoon. I'm comfortable experimenting with it now so I might use more or less depending on my instinct.

I think a 1/4 teaspoon would be a little and 2-3 teaspoons would need working up to. I've found a wide margin to play around with no bad effects so long as I don't take it around my meds...

Other brands may be different which is why I am mentioning the specific brands I've used.

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

This is interesting, insomnia is bad for me right now so have ordered some

from Amazon, hopefully will help me too. Thanks for sharing. :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

This is interesting, insomnia is bad for me right now so have ordered some

from Amazon, hopefully will help me too. Thanks for sharing. :)

Please update on your results. I am very curious to see if others experience a benefit.

Alex

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

I now have my clay, but no recommendations on how to take it,

and on the bottom of the pack it says

"current FSA guidelines suggest that bentonite clay in

general is not suitable for internal consumption

especially for pregnant women".

I could only find one seller on amazon Uk that sells the stuff

and couldn't find any online shops here that stock it!

Is it best in water or yogurt/fruit? I haven't a clue, it's

powder and I really don't fancy trying to down a spoonful

on it's own!

I hope it helps, I'd love a good nights sleep. I remember

just 2 nights when I fell asleep within 20 minutes of getting into

bed and woke in the morning, 7 hours later. 2 nights.....in 37 years!!

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Just noticed Alex takes it with water so will try that tonight.

Watch this space.

2002  effexor. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy