cinephile: I've had it!

cinephile

I also find myself (usually) waking up around 5:30 AM. Sometimes, however, (especially lately), I can sleep in until 7:00. And 9 times out of 10, I can't sleep again once I wake up. I toss and turn and get into a kind of half-sleep/dream state and then immediately snap awake.

But since late May, it's been a totally different story. I take Klonopin 1mg nightly to sleep, along with extended release Proponolol to suppress the shocks and it does work. ***PLEASE don't tell me horror stories about daily benzo use and withdrawal. That's the last thing I need right now. Frankly, if I weren't on these meds, I'd be nonfunctional.

Gosh Cine, I just had to respond to these parts of your post in particular.

To tell you that you are not alone.

I have had what you describe all through my taper.

I "sleep" (well, I'm not conscious) until early morning. Then I can't get back to sleep. Time passes but it's like a stupor/dream state for hours, until I can drag myself out of bed.

During this state, I used to have streams of nonsensical garbage going through my mind and I still do to some degree but it's now morphed into streams of mini-nightmares mostly. I feel like I'm waking up every few minutes but I'm not sure I am.

I too, am on a benzo, otherwise I fear I might not sleep or function at all.

I am so sorry you are going through this but just wanted to post in case it is some solace to know you're not the only one - it's awful when you have symptoms that no one else seems to have, especially when they are so torturous.

And I hope it's some consolation to know that you are finally off the AD - I still have a way to go. Belated congratulations to you!!

Paxil 20mg 1995 for panic disorder/anxiety.

3 attempts to w/d c/t. Horrific w/d hit after 1 month each time. Straight back to 20mg.

2003-2007: 30mg.

30mg to 20mg slowly over 2007.

20mg to 15mg (liquid) (Jan 2009) - big problems, back up to 20mg (pill) immediately. Recovered slowly.

20mg to 15mg (liquid) (Dec to Feb 2010) - suicidal. Back to 20mg May 2010, could not stabilise.

Dec 2010 to 31/01/2012: 20mg~9.6mg in tiny drops.

21/02/12~9.0

08/03/12~8.4

22/03/12~7.9

12/04/12~7.5

03/05/12~7.1

24/05/12~6.7

14/06/12~6.3

05/07/12~6.0

26/07/12~5.7

17/08/12~5.5

ALSO ON 1MG XANAX

• Moderator Emeritus

As you and I have discussed at length, you might go back on a small amount of Lexapro, even 1mg, and taper by micro-amounts after stabilizing. This might help, and if it does, it would be better for you than becoming dependent on benzos.

Please note Alto's caution above. Benzos are only helpful for a few weeks with daily dosing, and even in this brief time addiction may occur. For further information about the risk benefit ratio, please read. Note, there is disagreement about the risk benefit ration being worse for ADs, and it is thought they are both equally bad.

Benzos suppress dreams, and this effect would probably be active as long as you take them. Unfortunately, tapering off benzos is just as difficult, possibly so more than ADs.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

As you and I have discussed at length, you might go back on a small amount of Lexapro, even 1mg, and taper by micro-amounts after stabilizing. This might help, and if it does, it would be better for you than becoming dependent on benzos.

Please note Alto's caution above. Benzos are only helpful for a few weeks with daily dosing, and even in this brief time addiction may occur. For further information about the risk benefit ratio, please read. Note, there is disagreement about the risk benefit ration being worse for ADs, and it is thought they are both equally bad.

Benzos suppress dreams, and this effect would probably be active as long as you take them. Unfortunately, tapering off benzos is just as difficult, possibly more than ADs.

Believe me Schuyler, I know. And I'm certainly not advocating the use of benzos, not at all.

Paxil 20mg 1995 for panic disorder/anxiety.

3 attempts to w/d c/t. Horrific w/d hit after 1 month each time. Straight back to 20mg.

2003-2007: 30mg.

30mg to 20mg slowly over 2007.

20mg to 15mg (liquid) (Jan 2009) - big problems, back up to 20mg (pill) immediately. Recovered slowly.

20mg to 15mg (liquid) (Dec to Feb 2010) - suicidal. Back to 20mg May 2010, could not stabilise.

Dec 2010 to 31/01/2012: 20mg~9.6mg in tiny drops.

21/02/12~9.0

08/03/12~8.4

22/03/12~7.9

12/04/12~7.5

03/05/12~7.1

24/05/12~6.7

14/06/12~6.3

05/07/12~6.0

26/07/12~5.7

17/08/12~5.5

ALSO ON 1MG XANAX

• Moderator Emeritus

Believe me Schuyler, I know. And I'm certainly not advocating the use of benzos, not at all.

Hi Lori, I just get concerned with visitors who are reading bits and pieces.. sometimes the mention of said can look other than intended? Benzos were my first step into this 'fools paradise'.. usually I don't comment, but with cine's first allusion above, I wanted to support Alto.

Thanks for sharing.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Cine, you may already kbow this but apparently those jerks that keep you awake are called hypnic jerks. One theory is that they happen when your muscles relax before sleep, which your brain interprets as you falling. So it panics and makes your muscles jerk. In w/d the reaction is intensified.

I read magnesium and taurine may help, perhaps glycine too.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

I wish i could take your suffering away, Cine. Know that whatever you do to get thru this, it's ok.

{{{HUGS}}}

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Wanted to throw my 2 cents in about the power of the fight - flight - freeze instinct/response that has gone haywire courtesy of drugs. I'm going to say serotonin is the greatest offender, but that's just a gut feeling.

I've been cognizant of the enormous power of this instinct through horses, animals of flight. The evolutionary roots of this are not to be taken lightly. I've been on the back of a 1000lb animal in full flight mode and there is no reasoning with them. It is pure SURVIVAL MODE, brain is shut off. If a horse hears another horse running in flight, that is cue to FLEE! No questions asked. I just can't find words to describe how powerful this innate instinct and chemical messenger system is (cortisol).

I dont mean to anthropomorphize (or reverse), only comment on the power of this system. We are not animals of flight, but that mechanism has been greatly tampered with. I feel that the freeze response applies, to me at least. Early withdrawal seemed characterized by flight. Then at about 6-9 months, I stopped running and shut down, exhaustion. Frozen. I still sense danger lurking and am on hyperalert, but feel unable to fight or flee. I think that is where the "I know for a fact im going to die soon" impending doom comes from. Every morning until 12:30-1:00pm. Then it lifts a bit and I feel like there's a chance I'll live. I can talk to myself to some extent, but it's extremely difficult to break thru that biochemical and instinctual survival response. Akin to reasoning with a drunk person. I like Alex's suggestion of acknowledging cortisol "good morning, cortisol, I know it's you messing with my mind..." I don't know if that's how Alex stated it, but I like the idea.

Just trying to offer a morsel of understanding and support from my animal world. Horses that have been abused are prone to metabolic disorders, especially cortisol-related.

I hope you feel the support here. I think we all have the same desire to get far away from these drugs that have harmed us. We talk about what we've discontinued or are tapering, but not about what we are on that is cushioning the withdrawal. I think most of us have something that keeps us going even though we dont talk about it. I dont want to advertise to anyone who might be popping in and not getting the full story. But, more importantly, I don't want YOU to feel judged in any way for doing what you need to get through this. You've been beat up far too much already.

You're a good guy and very gifted man, Cine. I look forward to your contributions here and to this world via your journalism.

B

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Cine,

I am new here, much older than you but with at least a similar history of lexapro use. I just want to say two things:

1) Your resolve to both taper and remain functional is an inspiration to me. In my eyes, you have accomplished much.

2) The momentary startle response just before drifting off to sleep is something new to me and it started when I UPDOSED from 10 mg. to 20 mg. on my own. Just after I startle it is followed by a feeling of dread.. kind of like processing my strong negative feelings for and about my stressful job. It's never kept me awake though. It just pisses me off and I say "**** you" to it and fall back asleep.

This startle response very much reminds me of the times I am in deep thought about something and I come around a corner in the house and my husband ( he's a big guy) "scares" me . In those cases I realize it is him, I jump and go "AHH!" and I just kind of collapse in his arms and we laugh about it and go on with whatever we were up to. I know it is the fight or flight response.

Interestingly, these new night time startles have disappeared this summer as I've been on vacation but none of my meds have been changed. So for ME, a "perceived " increase of stress at work, & my ( stupid grrrrrr) change in dosage ( UP from 10mg to 20 mg rather than DOWN) must have triggered this new startle response. I attribute it more to the increase in dosage than an increase in stress as I have had many, many ups and downs in stress levels at 10 mg. and NEVER had this startle before. EVER. But then, equally as interesting, now that I have stabelized on the 20 mg. and the stress is reduced and the startles are gone. Go figure..... If someone has a plausible theory I'd be interested.

I am curious to see if it the startles returns as my stress level ramps up significantly very soon. I hope not. I HATE them because it reminds me that my job sucks right now.

I too wish that you would be gentle with yourself. I know that is much easier said than done, but you have accomplished much: a) you recognize there may be a problem with long-term ssri use B) you're doing something about it c) you're reaching out for support when you need it.

I'm only at step a).... so kudos to you!!!!!!

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

Interestingly, these new night time startles have disappeared this summer as I've been on vacation but none of my meds have been changed. So for ME, a "perceived " increase of stress at work, & my ( stupid grrrrrr) change in dosage ( UP from 10mg to 20 mg rather than DOWN) must have triggered this new startle response. I attribute it more to the increase in dosage than an increase in stress as I have had many, many ups and downs in stress levels at 10 mg. and NEVER had this startle before. EVER. But then, equally as interesting, now that I have stabelized on the 20 mg. and the stress is reduced and the startles are gone. Go figure..... If someone has a plausible theory I'd be interested.

Me too! The mind is a slippery, enigmatic thing. Some things that I would think would make my symptoms worse don't. I also got totally better for two weeks while I was on vacation, but it didn't last. On coming back home, I had a night or two of the sudden waking with dread, and hadn't had that I think since last year. This fight or flight response is inherently distrustful, too. Sometimes I try to talk to it like a scared animal, to calm it down, and I think I have achieved some pretty good control in some instances, but sometimes it almost seems like the hyperalertness is wary of me, like I'm trying to trick it. Not sure how else to describe it. So then I just go, "OK, be afraid if you want, let's just feel what that's like"...

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• 5 years later...
  • Administrator

cinephile, how are you doing now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.