☼ theelt712: tapering off Zoloft

theelt712

Woke up with heart palps so severe that every other beat skipped, chest pressure...I asked my mom if I should call someone and she flipped out and said no. I feel real tired, partially due to woman issues and being awake a while. Ugh.

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

2.1 years off of medication. 

"If I walk away, don't hate me. I've got to see where the pain will take me.

I found no angels...I found myself."

Ehh. Today is such an eh day. I am writing today, so that is a good thing. I have moments where it feels like I stop breathing and I actually have head pressure. Such an eh day.

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

Woke up at one point earlier with bad heart palps for like three minutes. Scared the crap out of me, I felt really light. My breathing is messing up, with seconds where it feels like I stop breathing and everything becomes too still. It scares the crap out of me, the stillness. It feels like I want everything to move fast but it will not.

My breathing and heart feel so wonky. My breathing feels slow and light and it feels like there is no pulse and air in my chest when I walk. It feels like palpitations should be in place of the chest feeling but they are not. Grr! Also, I am not sure if I can hike up a mountain tomorrow due to personal things. My body is so out of whack at this time of month that it feels like I can pass out easily. Ugh. Might bus up there.

Good news! I am getting semi feelings. When I listen to some songs, I get goosebumps. When I see something sad, my brain says it is sad and tells me maybe I should not see some of the stuff. When listening to a song, I can sometimes begin to feel some sadness in my stomach. When I hear a song, my brain says "I like it!" and it can recognize good sounds. They are not deep feelings as of yet. I can smell something good, like air, and at least appreciate it. I sometimes get semi frustration. Hopefully, this is the beginning of the end of anhedonia.

The thing that needs to start going away now are all the heart palps and symptoms of CAD. My left arm currently aches but I did not strain it.

Breathing is slow and inaudible. Frightengly so. I read an article on overhydration after drinking three tall glasses of water in two minutes....NOT A GOOD IDEA! I avoided drinking water for a few hours and am now eating a small bowl of cereal. Agh.

Terrified because of a dream...had a dream about my fears and my heart pounding IN MY DREAM and then woke up with my heart pounding so hard it caused me pressure and now my HR and breathing are slow. Ugh, these nightmares are wicked!!

Today was no less than horrible. I woke up exhausted from a nap with SEVERE palps and stomach spasms. I have had numerous episodes of angina like symptoms today. I felt dizzy upon getting up and although I have no headache, these seem to be also symptomatic of vitamin deficency.

ALL you describe is one thing and that is: WITHDRAWAL..........

Fear,anxiety,somatic feelings, intrusive-obsessive thoughts about health..etc etc :blush: 

Again, DON'T pay attention to them.

Hugs, A.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

When all this crap goes on, it is so hard not to! Going to attempt to rest after almost vommitting yesterday. My breathing is slow and odd. Trying to drink a lot of fluid but I am afraid that I will overdo it. Ugh. I am afraid of both overhydration and dehydration.

Feeling a mix of anhedonia and sadness today. My stomach issues are kicking up again, which contributes to my heart pounding and breathing issues. I feel like crying for no reason but at the same time, I fear that something is gonna happen to me. I keep having chest pressure and heart pounding when I go to sleep, which bothers the hell out of me. I fear that a heart rhythm issue may be behind all of this and the stomach issues. I hate feeling like a ticking time bomb. I keep having worsening breathlessness on exertion as well.

Feeling weak, fatigued, DRd, and because of heart stuff, afraid to sleep. This sucks. Aunt Flo is leaving, so, naturally things are getting worse.

Today, I had a moment of almost emotion, it was more of a flashback. I felt SOMETHING hit me for a brief second, something, I do not think it was a real deep emotion but it went. My mind raced. I keep having mania like moments whenever some sort of almost feeling happens. I have had seconds of almost feeling a lot recently. Some give me a small fraction of feeling. I wonder if it does actually get better from here, especially moments where I fade back into anhedonia. I hope that more progress will be made in the coming months.

My stomach is seriously acting up. Bloating, electric pains from navel to chest, stabbing pains, severe lower stomach pains on and off, right and left sided side pains...OMG. I am scared something serious will happen or be found at my doctor's appointment on Wednesday.

• Moderator Emeritus

If you are worried about your doctor appointment, which is approaching, then its possible that your symptoms are getting worse because of the increasing anxiety, and not because something is seriously wrong.  Its good you do have an appointment, to rule out something else, but try and relax and focus on something else.

Stomach pains are common in withdrawal, but they are also a common symptom of stress and anxiety.

Try some of the non-drug techniques from this topic to help cope until Wednesday:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

(hugs)

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

*hugs* My lady thing is over and I feel much better. I found out that my stomach does not like bananas very much. I have been having bad, heart racing nightmares recently that inolve me waking up with heart palps and pounding. Some sort of excess adredaline has seeped in. After running around for a few minutes, my breathing will often just slow down scarily and I stand still. I start to get a little tired. This contributes to my heart worry. I cannot wait till this journey is all over and I will be 100%.

To be quite frank, I feel like ****. I am uber dizzy today, feeling semibreathless and near faint. I hadBurger King yesterday and last time I recall, I did not feel so good after eating it last time either. Not nearly this bad, however. I am even more scared I may have some sorta life threatening heart rhythm. I often get this odd breath that feels like I either stop breathing or slow down too much. Vertigo is a lovely touch, not.

Doing much better than yesterday, with the help of Vitamin Water, but I HATE being breathless and I am becoming increasingly senstivet light. Physical activity brings on chest tightness. :( Not fun. Last night, I was with my mother and my friends to get her nose pierced. I was in a car with one of her friends, window down, inhaling the fresh, cold air that was coming into the car during a long breeze. I...actually...felt...mild pleasure. I remembered why I liked the cold nights. It was only about 30% but way better than nothing. I liked it. :) Maybe anhedonia goes away after all in teens.

Today was bad too. I had vertigo, dizziness and light sensitivity. I have also been very worried about my breathing being slow..ugh. This freaking sucks. Not even Vitamin Water is helping, just bedrest...which cannot do with school and all. I cannot wait for this to end...

Hey guys! My doctor's appointment for my stomach is tomorrow. Today was a horrible day to say the least. There were moments where I felt like I did stop breathing, especially while chewing gum. I almost had a panic attack. I have had stomach gurgling as well and other things. I feel so socially withdrawn that it scares me. I do not feel close to people and it sucks. I feel tired from running a mile for school and stomach issues. My body aches and I am fatigued. I had a sensation of my head almost snapping back into my skull....WTF. My anxiety over health and life is quite high

• Moderator Emeritus

Good luck with your appointment, let us know how it goes

(hugs)

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Thank you, I will. Nervous. Last night, there was a touch of emotion. I read something and it made my mind race and feel stomach sick with a hint of sadness in there. I cannot wait for this to lift.

Unsurprisingly, I was prescribed Miralax and Milk of Maganese for stomach issues. Also having blood tests to rule out H. Plyori (ulcer), thyroid issues, and a CBC. Scared about meds. :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Do you mean you are scared of taking the Miralax and Milk of Magnesia?

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Yes, Petu, I am afraid to take Miralax or Milk of Magnesia. Yesterday was odd. Not a lot of major feeling but there was some over the recent breakup with my boyfriend. It just felt sour. Not deeply sour, but I kinda felt songs and I was a bit aggravated till the end of the day. I had sleep so deeply that when I woke up, I was shocked by the vivid dreams and how well I slept.

• Moderator Emeritus

Milk of Magnesia as basically just a form of magnesium, something which is often recommended here on this site.  Miralax is a laxative. Neither is a psychotropic and I don't think they will have any negative impact on your sensitized nervous system.  Taking them may help to temporarily relieve your current stomach symptoms until your test results come back. When do you get your results?

Here is some information about them:

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/milk-of-magnesia.html

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/miralax.html

Perhaps you could try them one at a time and see how they effect you if you are concerned about them having an adverse effect. 

That's a good sign that you were able to sleep well  :)

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Thank you, Petu! :-) Right now, I am just fighting to stay afloat. All I want to do is be non anhedonic, me, and normal. Two years, I give it,before I reconsider medicines. Some could be herbal. I wonder if ginseg is beneficial.

There is a fight going on. That fight keeps me alive. The anhedonia is back, I hate it but I deal. Aspects of PSSD are back too. I just take it to mean the next improvements will be better and more permenant. Although, I may get some ginko. I have no known blood pressure issues or heart issues and it supports brain health.

I am so confused, confused about recovery, confused about friends, still anhedonic and still lonely. I tend to isolate myself by just listening to music and getting away from everyone at times. I am so confused as to what is me or not. I just want me back....I do not want anhedonia any longer. I barely know I have put up with it since March. I am not sleeping well. I wake up three times a night, and I have vivid nightmares. Life circumstances are weird and it seems all I ever am is lonely. I want me back.

Feeling anhedonic and lonely. All I want to do is sleep, and I hate it. I am not drinking a bunch of water anymore. I just want to be free.

• Administrator

Sleep is good. Drink enough water, that's good, too.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

New symptom.....nightly nightmares. I cannot sleep all the way through but in two hour increminents nightly. They are vivid and wake me up. Ugh! I wish for this all to be over soon. I want to give up at times but I do not want to believe I am forever damaged. All is confusing! I need sleep. Sleep sounds nice.

Had an episode of what almost felt like cardiac arrest. I took my pulse, it felt weaker than usual after walking, stopped, sped up, stopped again, and then sped up but was slower than usual. I was standing in line at the gas station, I felt fatigued, and almost fell down but adredaline shot me awake and scared me. Still feeling uber fatgiued, tired, irritable, and really scared that something may happen...

Hi Super T; once again:ALL you are going through is NEURO-FEAR, a most common symptom of this hellish process.

Try NOT to pay attention to it; that is what I do.

I know t's hard, but with time, you will learn how to cope with the bizarre confusing symptoms.Ok?

At 15 you wont have a cardiac arrest; I can have it!! :blink:

How is poetry??

Hugs,A.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.