☼ theelt712: tapering off Zoloft

theelt712

Update: I ended up getting my period minutes after writing the last post. Class field trip today...feeling dreary and dreamy as I listen to this song and head into the weekend, the song brings semi sadness. Feeling more semi feelings than I used to. Certain things bring a tear to my eye.

Hello Super T!!

It seems that you feelings are coming back...SLOWLY but SURELY...

I am glad for you.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Today is not the greatest day. My period is hitting the fan. I want to throw up, my breathing and heart rate are all slower than usual, I am tired as hell, bloated, and dizzy. I do not want to do much. Ugh. I feel like someone ripped my energy out. It sucks to even turn my head at times. This is why I have not been on a lot. And thanks, Alex. :-) It is by far the slowest thing in the world...

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

2.1 years off of medication. 

"If I walk away, don't hate me. I've got to see where the pain will take me.

I found no angels...I found myself."

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you are feeling so sick again, these waves of cycling symptoms are unbelievable.  Are you still having some occasional feelings?  I seem to remember reading that you were getting a new therapist, how is that working out? Sorry if I got that wrong.

I hope you feel better again soon

(hugs)

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I do not really have occassional feelings. In periods, everything is worse. Periods suck. Mine is dying down but I felt like passing out yesterday. Twas unbelieveably tired. Woke up feeling semi nostalgic, wanting to cry because I wish I had the deep emotions I used to have that made me...me. I could only sigh for now.

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

Had an odd freaking day. I almost fell from dehydration today. But mainly, today was semi....emotional. Yes, semi emotional. I felt a sense of darkness today, a sense of sadness, and mild dreaminess when listening to music. I got extremely tired after eating a crapload of food today and that sent me into comfortable tiredness for a bus ride to a field trip stop but my blood sugar DROPPED on the way home...erratic heartbeats, odd breathing, dizziness upon standing...the works. I drank some water, and soon after, the buses took us home. Time for rest. I felt better enough later to walk and now my mom and I are considering nutritional counseling.

Having horrible breathlessness and muscle spasms in my lower chest/upper stomach...makes me horribly breathless again, causing heart palps and squeezing in left breast. I have been spitting up tinges of dark red blood for a couple days, not a whole lot but some. I am wicked scared about that...my dr's appointment is not till November 18/19th ish. I just hope nothing serious becomes of this.

• Administrator

You need to eat more regularly, theelt, and do not let yourself get dehydrated. Both of these things affect the functioning of all your body systems.

If you are spitting up blood, phone the doctor's office immediately.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The blood spitting has stopped as of right now. It is not globs of blood, it is more like blood mixed in with nasal mucus..

Having this odd symptom...bad head tension. Squeezing in the back of my head so bad and when it releases, I get lightheaded. It is especially bad upon standing. It may have to do with my sinuses, it gets a little worse on standing but it causes my head and face to jerk and have bad tics and sometimes my back jerks with it. I am afraid this could be a sign of seizures or meneingitis. Had REALLY bad DR and slowed breathing too. I felt like I was watching myself take the garbage out and walk back into my building. I was SO SO SO scared...still am. Felt like I could stop breathing at any point to. My previous MRI came out fine... must be WD.

Today is oddly hopeful. Some increase in sensation, more arousal, PSSD lessening a little. Heart not pounding as it usually does, which I attribute to taking anti gas that gets rid of bloating. More....emotional than usual. I got semi mad yesterday, and I have quite a bit of attraction to a boy I met in writing class that I really cannot stop thinking about. Breathing slower than usual, like my heart rate, which just feels unusual. I notice a lot of stuff with my body, though....even brief sensations freak me out. I appreciated the smell of the outside today. This is a semi good day....but I am tired. Dark outside with a change in season...ugh.

Some good things happened! I found chocolate to taste good and cozing up in bed to be nice. Arousal has become intense, although sensation itself is at about 30-40%. That is much more than I could say about three months ago. :-) However, my low temp this morning worried me. It was at 95.5 F and stayed there for a bit. I ate some sodium enriched chips and moved around, which helped set my temp back to normal.

I get this weird feeling where my head snaps back into my skull as if it were a rubber band. This is the most odd and most troubling withdrawal symptom as of yet, this time it was followed by nausea. :( Ugh.

The scariest episode ever happened. I suddenly got tired, and by tired I mean ready-to-hit-the-ground fatigued. My hands froze, and my breathing was weird. I could not catch my breath. I had to literally keep stopping because I was so bloated and my breathing was so irregular. I thought that I was gonna die of cardiac arrest or heart attack. Then, my head started 'snapping' like a rubber band....and I knew that this was WD. I tend to get almost seizure like when my head seems to tense up and snap like that. For a second, it felt like I stopped breathing and I wanted to fall onto my bed. I did fall onto my bed, closed my eyes, and opened them a second or so later. I almost called the ER because my left arm and jaw have had shooting pains for two days. I a, kinda scared I had a heart attack but I had no chest pains or other jaw pains during the episode. I stumbled on words a bit. A similar episode happened in June and I went to the ER....an EKG came back normal. UPDATE: ALL SYMPTOMS IMPROVED WITH REST. It has to do with my stomach, I got really bloated when this happen and I have breathing issues when bloated. I think I am having a delayed reaction to antiacid medication Digel....my symptoms have been worse since taking it, even though I never had an issue with it before. :( Will stop taking it and see if symptoms improve further.

Still very bloated and breathless...very concerned about my heart at this point.

Hi theelt, you have to learn how to use your rational mind to stop the spiral of fear.

Neuro-fear, as I've told you, can trick your mind and make symptoms worse.

I know is easy to say, but the point is that there is NOTHING wrong with your heart.

Sending you healing vibes,A.

The beginning of the morning was really rough but I am feeling a bit better today, thankfully. Breathing is still odd and I was STILL bloated to the point of feeling like it is hard to breathe...but I stopped taking Digel, thinking that it may be the cause of these reactions.

• Administrator

You might want to try a probiotic for your digestive problems.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you, Alto. The Digel has a lot of Magnesium in it, and I am thinking I am sensitive to magnesium in WD. Aside from shooting pains that resemble heart issues, today was 100% better.

My breathing is weird again. I am bloated too often, stomach tight, and when I try to do activity or even at rest, I tend to inhale, puff out my cheeks with air, exhale and then do it again...constantly swallowing air. It makes me wicked dizzy but I cannot stop doing it, even though I try. :( I hate this...it feels like I will stop. I want to see a dr but the ER is filled with unreliable and innacurate, unhelping staff and my appointment is two weeks away. :(

• Administrator

I found a probiotic called Goodbelly to be quite effective. It comes in a liquid, in the refrigerator section.

Thank you, Alto! :)

The reason I have not been on as much is because I am dealing with a lot of non WD issues...the main one being a huge crush I have on someone. The overthinking I have done is insane over this guy. It is awful and beautiful at the same time, realizing that I am geniuenly, for the first time in months, attracted to someone so beautiful and wonderful. We look forward to seeing each other. The other issue has been preparing the house for guests that are coming over today. I have been having low body temp as well, especially at night (lowest was 94.5). My body temp is naturally low at about 97.5-97.7, but this is a shocker. The digestive issues have not stopped. Spitting up blood tinged mucus has, for the most part, stopped. The thing I am dealing with mostly are keeping up my school grades and my crush besides having pretty crappy WD symptoms. Will mention to my pdoc my period symptoms so I can have my Ferritin tested and know for once and for all if I am anemic.

Aww, thank you. I will tell you all if I get this guy. Today has been scary. I had another bad episode of sudden fatigue, breathlessness, almost fainting, heaviness in limbs, confusion/DR,tiredness, bloating, and feeling like my heart will stop. Flipping SCARY. My temperature has been fluctuating between 95.5-97.5. The scariest it has been is 94.5.....OMFG..scary. :( Will discuss with my podc ASAP.

Still breathless and dizzy, considering an ER visit. Scary crap...

Well, I've been crying all morning. Crying about my crush, fear, and why good people suffer. Why is it wonderful, creative people that suffer and the good that get crapped on? I'm trying to do my best not to use a lot of profane language but it's always the best people hurt. I keep crying at points this morning, and I hate it, but I should embrace it. It's the most 'human' thing I've felt in months.

Sorry for not being on a lot...I have just been heartbroken over a guy. I have been crying a lot...not the full depth of emotion, but it is happening somehow. I have been really hopeless about love lately, a pre WD issue. :( Sigh...trying and failing seems to be all I do.

• Administrator

This will continue as long as you have female hormones. Try to find a hobby or other interest to pursue rather than romance. That will come to you in its time.

Hello all...almost six months off! Freaking crazy. I am seriously tired right now....so early. I hate it. I've been waking up lately with a pounding heart and shallow breathing, and it really bothers me, makes me unable to sleep and makes me feel like I will stop breathing. I've had a lot of health anxiety revolving around my breathing and feeling like I will stop breathing. I get so breathing conscious that it is scary. I keep getting scared that my heart will stop or something. I get tired very often, and end up sleeping early as a result. My muscles spasm a lot and it is so annoying. I end up swallowing a lot of air and taking it into my cheeks. It really sucks. There are a few things that make me feel a little safe, mainly my robe and bed. I've been having vivid and strange dreams. I've also been dealing with a lot of scary intrusive thoughts, which I really really dislike. It scares me sometimes. The intrusive thinking is a new thing. I've been having breathing and heart fears for a while. Sigh. Things are moving along.

• Administrator

Thank you! I feel like crap right now, total head cold. My mom wants me to take a sinus med that contains DXM HBr and chlorpheniramine maleate. DXM acts similar to an SSRI, and this cold is kicking my ass [achy, constant nose blowing, nasal drip, vick's being used like crazy, cold/hot chills at times, heat sensitivity, etc], but this pill- my mom says- is the only thing that's made her feel good all day. I want to take it but if I do, I face a possibility of having to restart the whole WD process, another 6 months of this crap. UGH. Opinions?

Can someone help me? Please? I am wicked unsure of what to do. Eating a cough drop, had cereal, and it sucks.

• Administrator

If you can, I would avoid taking any over-the-counter drugs. Your system may be sensitized and you might have odd reactions to them.

• Moderator Emeritus

I never take anything stronger than an aspirin these days, and only one at a time.  Maybe you could try that for the aches and pains.  Sipping on hot honey and lemon drink can be soothing, but made with natural ingredients like real honey and lemons.  Inhaling steam can relieve nasal congestion.  Getting lots of rest and having chicken soup is supposed to be good for a cold too.  Keep hydrated. Maybe you could do a search for other natural remedies.

Since being in withdrawal, and having my system sensitized, I've found that many weaker or natural remedies which never used to work, now work very well..... for things not withdrawal related anyway.

I'm sorry you have a cold, there are a lot of them going around here too.  They don't last long, you will feel better soon.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Turns out the 'cold' is actually a respiratory infection, Sinusitis, and I was given a Zpac to take. I'm really scared to take antibiotics but I keep feeling worse. I know I need to take something. My breathing is actually slowing down and stopped for a second. My HR, without meds, was 116 when I got to the hospital.

Hello Theelt; you just do what you have to do.

Maybe there is no reason to be scared about; take the medicine for your sinus, and I am sure you will feel better after a while.

BTW, what happened to the help site you opened a few months ago?

Sending healing vibes, A.