SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ theelt712: tapering off Zoloft

theelt712

The reason you need to carefully taper is because you already got withdrawal symptoms. This indicates your nervous system is sensitive to dosage changes.

Your nervous system has its own rules and doesn't care that you've been on Zoloft for only 5 weeks. It wants you to go slow.

If only you could tell my mom that. She wants me to completely stop taking it after today.

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

2.1 years off of medication. 

"If I walk away, don't hate me. I've got to see where the pain will take me.

I found no angels...I found myself."

Also, ever since I went on Zoloft, I've experienced insomnia. Waking up 2-3 times a night, and it's terrible....will I ever feel like myself while tapering at all?? When can I expect to feel better? This medication hasn't done me any good from the start and I haven't felt like myself ever since I went on it. I want myself back.

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

• Administrator

If you go slow, the side effects, such as insomnia, should get better. But you don't want to rush and replace side effects with withdrawal symptoms!

You need to take charge of your taper to take care of yourself. Your mom is trying to help but you answer to your nervous system. If you get withdrawal symptoms, your nervous system is telling you to go slow.

Are you taking 11.5mg now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

About 11.5 mgs, yes. Just a little over half a pill. These pills are so hard to cut.

• Administrator

That is why we say making a liquid is easier -- and safer, because you know exactly how much you're taking.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

That is why we say making a liquid is easier -- and safer, because you know exactly how much you're taking.

I will go back and see how to make a liquid when I can. An update: I am beginning to feel better as the day goes on. Not 100%, but definitely a bit better with no urge to cry. Not totally happy, but no sadness.

Also, how safe is listening to binaural beats/isochronic beats for relaxation while on an antidepressant? I tried Googling it, and couldn't find anything on it. I know that in the past, it has helped me sleep.

• Moderator Emeritus

theelt712 you will be fine, you've got a few things going in your favour that many of us here didn't have, you've only been taking it a few weeks, and, you've stumbled on excellent advice on this web site, I was years and many cold turkey attempts on the stuff before I found good advice. If you look into making the liquid and following advice here you will be tapered off successfully and you'll back on this episode years from now and wonder what the heck it was all about.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Thank you for the encouragement. I woke up sleepy as goodness knows what, but I didn't wake up depressed and weepy this morning. I wish I could feel more emotions still, but this is better than yesterday.

Uggh, I am not sure how much longer I can take not being

able to feel pleasureable/happy. All I want to do is curl up until this taper ends. I have a possibily new taper plan, it's

6 weeks long, but I fear it is too fast.

Literally bawled my eyes out for about 40 minutes. I have no feelings of pleasure, and at this point, no hope that my happiness will come back. I had a mini window today, but that was it. I looked up some of the stories about adonhia- and it takes sometimes 3-5 years in some people to get happiness back. I am literally at my breaking point. I want to feel love and happiness in its depths again. It feels like all I can do is cry.

• Administrator

It may be difficult for you to have a sense of perspective about this -- you must do what you can to stay calm, let time pass, and allow your nervous system to heal.

When you get upset about the Zoloft situation, that interferes with healing. So try not to add worry to neuro-emotions -- see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/137-neuro-emotion/

Patience, patience! All this will pass....

I will try. There's also a chance I may go on birth control because my hormones are out of whack. I don't want to mess with Zoloft, however.

• Administrator

How do you know your hormones are out of whack?

I went to see a doctor, and certain biological functions haven't been working in about 2 years- hence why they want me on birth control. I just want all this pain to end...and all I want to do is sleep.

Hi, theelt712. Sorry you've been having a hard time. Just one thought: since you began the Zoloft so recently (within the last few months), is it possible that some of your current distress is just a continuation of the symptoms that initially led you to start taking the Zoloft? What was going on before you started Zoloft? Is the crying definitely a new thing?

KEY: Drug @CurrentDoseMaxDose (time span). Details.
Prozac @4040 (2020-present). Replaced 50mg Zoloft with 10, then 20, then 40mg Prozac starting Sep 2020. I was not doing well at 25mg Zoloft, 150mg Wellbutrin XL. So, to try something new, I switched to Prozac. I am definitely more stable on this dose. Nevertheless, issues with insomnia, and worries about bone strength, make me wish to try a taper again sometime.

Zoloft @0250 (1998-2020). 250mg most of the time. Starting Spring of 2009, tapered by 25mg steps down to 25mg/day by Oct 2010. Emotional crisis prompted return to 200mg by end of 2010. Reduced to 150mg in Sep 2012. Dropped to 125mg 1 April 2013. Dropped to 100mg around 1 June 2013. Dropped to 90mg 5 Dec 2014. @80mg 5 Jan 2015. @70mg 5 Feb 2015. @60mg 5 Mar 2015. @50mg 5 Apr 2015. @45mg 7 Sep 2015. @40mg 5 Oct 2015. @35mg 1 Nov 2015. @30mg 1 Dec 2015. @25mg 29 Dec 2015. @50mg Nov or Dec 2019. Transitioned to Prozac Sep 2020.
Wellbutrin XL @150300 (2004-2020). Started at 150mg, quickly ramped up to 300mg. Dropped to 150mg in summer of 2010. Emotional crisis prompted return to 300mg by end of 2010. Dropped to 150mg 9 Apr 2014. Tried going back to 300 1 Apr 2020; feared it was harming my memory and so cold-turkeyed off 1 May 2020.
Klonopin @01 (1998-2005).
Paxil (1997-1998).

Hi, theelt712. Sorry you've been having a hard time. Just one thought: since you began the Zoloft so recently (within the last few months), is it possible that some of your current distress is just a continuation of the symptoms that initially led you to start taking the Zoloft? What was going on before you started Zoloft? Is the crying definitely a new thing?

It could be. Before I started taking Zoloft, my anxiety was so bad that I couldn't eat. The crying is definitely new. I

hope I am able to feel happy again- and soon. The anhedonia is definitely new, as well as the insomnia.

I don't know how many of you believe in astrology, but I just read a personalized horoscope from Astrodinest that told me that within the coming weeks and months, I will be healed and that this is a test of endurance. This is some hope I have been needing....although it says the test of endurance is until 2015 and I really hope the withdrawal isn't for that long.

Well, I just got done moving. I am tired from it...I need rest.

Well, the emotional numbness has become rather annoying. I would like to have my emotions back at anytime now...

• Administrator

You'll be fine, theelt. Emotional anesthesia is a side effect of the drug. Taper off gradually so you don't get withdrawal symptoms, give it time, and you'll be yourself again.

• Moderator Emeritus

I found my emotions did come back quite quickly into the taper so hopefully the same will be true for you.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Thank you both, and I really hope so too. I am thinking about cutting down and dosing smaller on Sunday.

• Administrator

You've been taking 11.5mg since April 27? One week? What happened to patience?

You've been taking 11.5mg since April 27? One week? What happened to patience?

Not since April 27th, but since the 15th.

• Administrator

Okay. If I were you, I'd try a reduction of 1mg or less, to see how it works for you.

Okay. If I were you, I'd try a reduction of 1mg or less, to see how it works for you.

I will try.

Theelt, first, you're at a good place to help you with the tapering process. However, you also need to get substantial help for your anxiety and depression. The problem is, as I'm sure you either know or are finding out, that if you go to a doctor in this country, they'll just put you on meds. With the meds come the side effects, but don't worry, they have other meds that can take care of those side effects, and other meds to take care of those side effects.

I don't believe that medication is necessarily bad but just that it's way too over-prescribed. I think it should be the last resort after all other avenues have been tried. I have recently read that in Scandinavia, if you have schizophrenia (and are going through visual and auditory delusions), they put you into a therapy program. I'm not sure what that therapy entails, but I've learned that people actually have overcome schizophrenia. This was an education to me because I figured that if you see things that are not there, you have no choice but to take meds. But we live in a world where a pill can do everything for you. so it's become the way of life to just expect to take a pill to make everything better. (I'm not saying that if someone is on medication and stable that they should ever go off of it but that there are other options that aren't as lucrative as popping a pill.)

Now that I've gotten this little prologue out of the way, I hope that I can offer you a little bit of advice, from one person suffering anxiety to another. You say that you have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. From reading some of your posts, I see patterns that match my way of thinking throughout my lifetime. It's mostly "what ifs." What if I feel this way forever? What if I get cancer? What if this or that? Being anxious so much and worrying all of the time will also lead to depression.

What people like us have to do is to find a way to stop that negative thinking. Negative thinking just starts a domino effect and then it becomes easy to worry. It's become the way of life. Now, it's easier said than done to stop that negative thinking. We essentially have to train ourselves to be good at stopping these negative, depressing anxieties.

There are a lot of baloney self-help books out there. 99% of them are crap and don't offer much of anything but nice little maxims for us to feel good about. But there are some very useful jewels that have very good information. I am currently reading a book called *The Mindful Way Through Depression*. Also, another book that I would reccommend for you to look at is *Brain Lock*, which deals with OCD disorder. OCD disorder is an anxious disorder and, I would say, related to GAD. I found out about the former book because the writer of the latter talks a lot in *Brain Lock* about something called mindfulness. I've been doing research on meditation and its purported good effects on the health and I feel that maybe this is the next step in my process of getting better.

Of course, you should also look at professional help. The problem is that they just throw medicine at everything. And a lot of therapists (be they doctors, social workers, psychologists) just flat out suck (at least in my experience). But to me, therapy is more than just talking to someone for an hour a week. It really should be about the learning of techniques so that we can deal with life in better ways. You can find someone who can help you. Like finding any other competent professional, it requires a bit of looking around and asking people.

You're going to be fine. It's hard work but when you get over this, you're going to feel so much better knowing that your mind is healthy due to your perseverance. Also, remember to be around people that encourage you and make you feel good. Engage in hobbies that keep your mind occupied on good, positive things rather than ruminating. The more you ruminate, the worse the anxiety will get, the more that it will take root in your brain and make it a way of life for you to be anxious.

Thank you for the great advice, Mountain, all of this work is far easier said than done.

Thank you for the great advice, Mountain, all of this work is far easier said than done.

True, far easier said than done. But it's possible to succeed. Just take it one day at a time and be positive. One reason for failure is doubt. Even I, right now, wonder sometimes if I'm not just fooling myself to think I can make it off of medication. But then I talk to someone else who is doing well, or read a comment on this site, and it helps boost my confidence and faith.

Also, remember that "little strokes fell great oaks." You don't have to do it all in one day. If you have a book that you think has information that might help you but feel overwhelmed mentally, even if you just read a paragraph a day, that's better than nothing and after just a few weeks, you'll have learned a few little things here and there to help you.

Good thoughts Mountainman..I appreciate it.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

Now that I've gotten this little prologue out of the way, I hope that I can offer you a little bit of advice, from one person suffering anxiety to another. You say that you have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. From reading some of your posts, I see patterns that match my way of thinking throughout my lifetime. It's mostly "what ifs." What if I feel this way forever? What if I get cancer? What if this or that? Being anxious so much and worrying all of the time will also lead to depression.

What people like us have to do is to find a way to stop that negative thinking. Negative thinking just starts a domino effect and then it becomes easy to worry. It's become the way of life. Now, it's easier said than done to stop that negative thinking. We essentially have to train ourselves to be good at stopping these negative, depressing anxieties.

Good Stuff Mountainman.

I've been on 100 mg of Zoloft for 8 years since 05. I started on 50 mg and the doctor bumped me up cause it wasn't working I guess. Six months into taking it I asked if I could get off. He said to wait a year then try. So, after a year I tapered in 25 mg increments and took 12.5 for my final taper dose, and really was doing fine until I finished. I got dizzy bad and got sad and the doctor said I had a relapse and to get back on it. So not knowing to gradually get back on I took 100 mg.

That sent me for a weird loop. I almost lost complete hope but finally stabled out. I guess that's my short version of my story.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone- checking in. With the unfortunate inability to get liquid Zoloft and some careful tapering, I ended Zoloft use on May 20th, 2013. I deal with some nerve pain, and some anxiety, but the first month was worse than this. I have been fortunate so far to not really have brain zaps but the nerve pain sucks. The emotional blunting is still there, but I have moments of havig blunted emotions. Sometimes, my mind tells me I am feeling something but my body won't let me. It is frustrating. The oddest of things are silent migraines, aka kelidescope vision and auras without actual migraines. I have no pain with this. I am entering a writing workshop later in this month, and I hope it goes well. I hope all is well with you all.

Some improvements in the almost 2 months off...

-I am beginning to realize who I am.

-My hormones are getting back into balance. Before tapering off, I was without a menstrual cycle for almost 2 years, pre-AD, mostly due to stress. In my last 4 days of taking Zoloft, it slowly came back.

-Some anxiety improvements. Anxiety attacks are far less frequent than they were in the first month.

-Small improvements in anhedonia. Certain things sort of interest me, other things do not.

-I am trying to do more things.

-I can sit at a computer without flipping out in fear.

Some negatives:

-Ouch. I didn't know neuralgia was so painful. Severe nerve pain has been persistent and seems to get worse whenever I have a menstrual cycle [yay for persistency with it, right?].

-I STILL do not have full emotional range yet, but I have faith that it will return sooner or later.

-Strange auras, but without migraines. Very odd, almost like a kaleidoscope on the outside of my eye.

-Issues with short term memory....although it can have moments of improvements.

-Waking up with panic at times. This was worse in the first month. I would wake up shaking nightly.

-Odd flashbacks from childhood, mostly happy memories.

-Bad GERD and acid reflux, although I had this pre AD, it is way worse than it has been. It improves with eating cereal.

-Fear of all other meds and supplements. Although this is not really WD related, it is med related.

I am also happy to report that the crying spells are now few and far inbetween. I rarely have them anymore, gladly.

• Administrator

Thanks so much for checking, theelt. Good healing to you!