☼ theelt712: tapering off Zoloft

theelt712

• Moderator Emeritus

Wow! I am just amazed (and I bet you were too, when you got all those electrons on the screen) at the progress! The other stuff will sort itself out in time too. It really will.

electrons on the screen...HA! CW you are a grin-maker.  We who need grins thank you.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thinking of all of the progress I've made in 2 months, and it's actually quite significant in the scheme of things. At the beginning of my taper and at the beginning of getting off Zoloft, I could not even sit AT A COMPUTER without having a panic attack. I had to be on my iPod. I only stayed up until 8/9 at night because of fear, apathy, constant fatigue and no drive to do something. All posts on this site and other sites were made with my cell or my iPod. 2 months later, I'm back on a computer, back outside my bedroom, and I can actually write poetry again. I'm actually taking part in a poetry camp beginning tomorrow, AND I'm on a computer all day, just like I used to be. All of this in TWO MONTHS. It's actually great progress. If only the anxiety/anhedonia/other stuff will go. But with little 'emotional' blunting moments, I have a feeling it's beginning to.

Poetry camp! Way to go! 

You know, recovery is roller coaster, waves and windows, and when we're in a bad place it's hard to imagine that there are better places and that we'll ever be there. But you're doing great, look at you!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I feel the amazement too, Rhi! It becomes so much more real when it's 'down on paper' and others can see it. Poetry camp indeed!

Computers and internet boards really change things, the mechanics of things. There is no simple way of saying 'getting your thoughts down on paper' when you aren't using paper...... and the possibility of others commenting on your 'electronic' journal adds something unique too.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

I love the computerized electrons. :) For my EEG tomorrow, I basically have to stay up all night. I have a camp tomorrow....this is gonna be crazy. I thought it was gonna be today but my mom had it on her calendar wrong.

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

2.1 years off of medication. 

"If I walk away, don't hate me. I've got to see where the pain will take me.

I found no angels...I found myself."

Actually had a moment of genuine sadness today- after reading David Healy's website. I felt about 40-50% sadness...in my stomach and body. Posted Image I got off of the website, reading it would make me fear I would never recover and it would just make me sadder. I'm back to normal right now, but the genuine sadness shocked me, especially when reading about those anhedonic 3-4 years out. BTW, I am now a cute kitten. :)

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

• Administrator

Think more about kittens and read David Healy's site less.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Think more about kittens and read David Healy's site less.

Well said Altostrata

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

I just made a post to you about your new avatar pic and can't see it. Help! The server ate my electrons! (The dog ate my homework?)

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Oh no, Cymbalta! D: Also, back from poetry camp. I actually ended up having a lot of closeness with the people there, as I already knew them. I actually got some words down on page and it was really fun. I have really severe muscle cramping in parts of my body, off and on and it is annoying. :( However, the camp was great. ^_^

That's super great news (the camp, not the pains)!

Thank you! Now trying to get Vitamin Water somehow, I probably need it.

This is what it is for right now...the sunny side of anhedonia.I have Vitamin Water...woohoo! It's not helping with the cramps and spasms really, and I'm beginning to think it could be WD related. Ouch, this is painful. It went away after about 4 days once.

All of my writing has me thinking....why am I anhedonic? More specifically, why is it taking so long to recover? I always wanted to be emotionless, wanted to be in a dream state, but I never imagined it would be this bad. Anhedonia and derealization torture me almost daily. But I still live my life aside from it...aside from anxiety, and aches, and pains, anhedonia is the main thing there. I'm on the better side of it, I assume, since I'm still able to live life as 'normal' and be a functioning member of society on top of it.

• Administrator

Love the kitten avatar!  You are making great progress and you are going to be fine.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

Thank you, Karma! :) I hate that anhedonia is so troubling. If it weren't for that, I don't think WD would be nearly as hard as I perceive it to be right now.

T,

You are hilarious:

the sunny side of anhedonia

ROFLROFL. (ooops, sorry, you are still feeling bad. My bad.)

My therapist thinks I am funny too. Hmm...

Cancelled the EEG for today because I couldn't stay awake long enough. I needed my sleep. Everytime I'd wake up, I'd end up falling back asleep in 3 seconds. Anywho, more poetry camp today. I wonder what other emotions may or may not come up. I may be surprised.

Fear. That's the main thing in the back of my mind. FEAR. Fear of never recovering. Fear of being like this emotionless zombie forever. Fear of never being able to love or relate to anyone or anything. Just FEAR. Not the feeling of fear, but fear itself. It's odd.

And that subject and it's feelings are the the catalyst for your poetry. Think about it. And you can even post some of it here. In your intro or in 'Off Topic' or 'Finding Meaning' or any other place on the web.

Did it ever occur that the reason we don't see 'recovery stories' (some people have hunted down people they remember and convinced them to tell their story) is because they got THROUGH the bad stuff and are busy doing life now and they 'forgot' to come back and tell us that they have 'recovered' and don't need us anymore?

Hmm, that's an interesting thought, Cymbalta [despite how terrible the drug is, the name Cymbalta sounds pretty]. I have written poetry about Zoloft, it's somewhere online...

Fear. That's the main thing in the back of my mind. FEAR. Fear of never recovering. Fear of being like this emotionless zombie forever. Fear of never being able to love or relate to anyone or anything. Just FEAR. Not the feeling of fear, but fear itself. It's odd.

Yes, T, I do feel exactly the same way :mellow:

:( Uggh, I am in pain, my muscles keep cramping and I feel kinda weak. :( I rememer this happening in a bad wave, plus I felt slightly dizzy upon standing today and nauseous. It went away after eating.

Feeling a bit better. The only thing that sucks is now that the cramping has gone away, the DP gets bad. Le sigh. I've had it for a while so I try not to let it scare me anymore.

Le sigh.

you're killing me here, Theelt... I cannot stop laughing! I am supposed to be all somber and solicitous and concerned (that you are still feeling unwell) and here I am, garbaging up your thread with comments on your 'one liners'.....

(have you been watching 'Henri the Existential Cat' vids????)

I have never heard of those but I will look them up.

Woke up panicking because I heard a motercycle vroom outside my window. I think I was i the middle of a dream, I woke up forgetting where/who I was, having intrusive thoughts, and was terrfified. I am calming now, remembering stuff, but that scared me.

Woke up again, almost forgetting that I was in poetry class and a great part of my day yesterday. I remember it now but man, I must have slept deeply. Like those days where you wake up on Monday thinking it's Saturday [damn it!].

Realizing that I've been anhedonic since MARCH [March 28th, to be exact] is harsh. Almost 5 months. And of those 5 months, two [well, almost 3] have been off of meds. Do I go with Licorice Root or do I just wait and see? I do not know what to do at this point. All I know is I'm sick of it. Never feeling love, never being human, never being a teen. Just another day where I'm 'there'. I'm sick of it.

• Administrator

Please, no licorice root. It can screw your endocrine system up a lot. Give it time, at 5 months, you're just beginning your journey.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

This is true. I even got an astrological report that said "Healing will occur next year after a long wait" or something to that effect. This was a week before I got on Zoloft...very odd.

Back to having those odd, vivid dreams again. Seriously, my dreams last night were freaking nightmares. :( I think I was feeling sadness in my dream...I do not remember. Also, most of the muscle cramping is gone at the moment. :) Yay!

I really do not have much to post. That's a good thing, I suppose. I'm still anhedonic, but there's really nothing to post. I'm still listening to music, trying to relax as much as possible. Just a mini update.

Here is a happy update: I walked up to my mom's job with no DR for the first time in a while. My mind WANTS to DR but it doesn't. It is very strange but it is a good moment for me. Still having anhedonia but this was a big great moment for me today.

GOOOOOOD!! :D

If only this anhedonia would go, everything would be perfect. I'd be going from :) to :D :D :D!

I thought about this today....what happens when I do get my emotions back? I've recovered from a brief anhedonic period after severe stress and a break up after a week....and the emotions came on even stronger than before. Everything was intensified tenfold. I felt brief, slight sadness [very blunted] after listening to music, but this blunted on and off sadness has been going on for a WEEK. It doesn't feel like a week, but it has been. I just wonder what the future is like. I think about it a lot nowadays.