Altostrata

Multivitamin tips

Altostrata

I recently talked to an integrative doctor who pointed out many widely available multivitamins have a wax coating, which prevents their complete absorption in the gut. It's common that a lot of these undigested tablets get excreted.

She suggests an easy fix -- for better absorption, break them in half when you take them.

I was looking at my Walgreen's A-Z vitamins and, sure enough, they have a light blue coating. They're scored and easy to break in half, though.

These are not special multivitamins. They're very inexpensive (and I hope their contents are of decent quality). I chose them because they have a wide range of minerals, including boron (good for older women), and low vitamin B6 content (3mg).

Like many hypersensitized people, I find vitamin B6 activating. I had to look for a multivitamin with low B3; many of the better brands are loaded with B vitamins that are too much for me.

Do you have any multivitamin tips?

Nikki

Funny, I just went back to taking a multi this morning. I would like to incorporate Fish Oil and Magnesium into the mix.

The best multi vitamin I have ever taken and felt marvelous from is Ultra Body Today by Youngevity. Online. My brother has been using it for years. A little pricey. I should really order some again.

We gave it to my mother during her cancer treatments and we swear it helped bolster her immune system.

Celeste

Finn

My multivitamin has a light orangeish-pink coating. I've been breaking it in half before swallowing as you suggested.

GiaK

I'm not taking multivitamins these days...but I highly recommend liquid whole food vitamins...

most multis are synthetic vitamins and no one really knows how well the body absorbs them or if they act like vitamins otherwise.

this is the last liquid vitamin I took (it's been years now that I don't take a multi) -- this one may have too many B vitamins for hyper-sensitive folks...

http://www.vitacost.com/buried-treasure-vm-100-complete-32-fl-oz-1

it's a high quality vitamin though and relatively inexpensive...my husband started taking it when I did and still takes it.

I add trace minerals to my water now...still do that...it's a good way to get minerals...I use concentrace minerals...(that's a brand)

WatchingTV426

If you're already taking a B-vitamin when you start going through w/d, what would be the suggested method of finding out if it's activating for you? Dropping it out of your supplement rotation for x number of days and seeing your response? 

Right before dropping to zero (I've now reinstated), I started on a host of supplements at once prescribed by a functional med doc, so basically I have no way of knowing what's doing what but, I assume, by eliminating stuff one thing at a time, I guess. I just want to try to do so in the best way possible.

Thanks! 

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

You should probably knock off all the supplements (except magnesium) and the vitamins until you are more stable.

oskcajga

I recently tried two brands of multivitamins, Centrum generic brand, and Garden of Life Men's multivitamin.  The centrum had that wax like coating, or whatever - so I usually break it in half before ingestion, and I found it to give me a decent amount of extra energy without burning my skin or causing hypersensitivity reaction.  I started at 1/4 a tablet and worked my way up to 1 tablet once every other day (someething about taking a multi vitamin every day with ALL those nutrients seems like it might not be the wisest decision - especially when considering that my diet is very good and I am probably getting something like 200% of everything I could ever need).

The Garden of Life is one of those more vegan multivitamins that has all "natural source" vitamins (i.e., nothing is synthetic, all is derived from natural ingredients, supposedly).  I didn't get the same amount of energy from this multivitamin, and when I got up to 1 tablet, I got burning feelings typical of a hypersensitivity reaction.  So I had to return these and I just stuck with the centrums. 

I always work my way up from a small dose when I try supplements, as this website recommends, and I think that's an excellent suggestion that has saved me from adverse reactions.

There's a LOT of good information on this website about supplements.

compsports

I take the Nature Women's Energy Alive Vitamins because of the low b content.   They don't give me awesome energy but they don't cause trouble and I feel better when I take them vs. when I don't

Tried taking a multi with higher b vitamin levels and my body protested big time.   Obviously, you have have to listen to what it is telling you.