SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

SaltedGinkgoNuts Benzo and SSRI Withdrawal

SaltedGingkoNuts

Hope the 10mg works for you, Salted.

Well, so far, so good. I actually got out and went to the market today. Whilst in the fish department, I somehow misplaced my grocery list. I almost started crying because I couldn't find it anywhere. What?!?!? A nice lady must've seen me drop it and brought it to me. I humbly thanked her for her kindness. I can't believe how stupidly sensitive I am right now. So WEIRD!!!!!

ARGH!!!

:huh:

-Salted

10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac Jan. 2009-Nov. 2012

Went COLD TURKEY Nov. 2012-March 2013

.05-1 mg daily Lorazepam March 2013-April 2013

After approximately 21 days, stopped COLD TURKEY

Doctor put me on 20 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 4/25/13

I decided to jump down to 10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 5/08/13

Will stay here for a few months, then taper to ZERO!!

I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience and research and is only my perspective

Hang in there Salted, sounds like you have a game plan which is good. All I can stress is that you get out for 30mins everyday regardless of the way you feel and regardless of what the weather is. Watch the video on youtube called 23 and a half hours. Exercise does wonders in withdrawal. I also know how tough it is to get out when you are feeling not so well. You can do this and you will get through this. My personal advice is that you will eventually level out on the 10mg and stay there for awhile, don't be in a rush when going down as much as you just want to get out of all this, the slower you go, the less you should feel when you are off. I pretty much cold turkeyed(1 month)after being on for 5 years at a high dose, 6 months off and I am in the fight of my life.

Stay strong, have hope, have faith and you have a supporter in Mr.A ! We are all in this together, nobody is alone.

2007-2012started Effexor xr 225mg -150mg- Varied2months of Taper,(March 22/2012 Off Med/in W/D)Currently No medicationMarch 22/2012- August 16/2012 - Totally Off Effexor( Rough Rough time) Reinstatement for a week(didn't work)****** New Doctor******* Very nice/helpful and in touch.Tried Zoloft- No successAUGUST 17/2012- STARTED 37.5 EFFEXOR FOR ONE WEEK - NOT GOOD < STOPPED.Started Buspar Oct 11th 2012----10 mg for the first 7 days and then 15mg a day---- Taking a new route----Racing thoughts - Gone.Oct 9th ( Done Zoloft,wellbutrin week project trial to feel better) - OFFICIALLY OFF ANTI DEPRESSANT !Oct 26 - Raised Buspar to 20mg a day- Tolerating wellJan 2nd 2013-

Reduce Buspar until full off march 20th 2015 Off all medication !

Tried natural supplements to no avail

Gluten/sugar free since december 2013

Hang in there Salted, sounds like you have a game plan which is good. All I can stress is that you get out for 30mins everyday regardless of the way you feel and regardless of what the weather is. Watch the video on youtube called 23 and a half hours. Exercise does wonders in withdrawal. I also know how tough it is to get out when you are feeling not so well. You can do this and you will get through this. My personal advice is that you will eventually level out on the 10mg and stay there for awhile, don't be in a rush when going down as much as you just want to get out of all this, the slower you go, the less you should feel when you are off. I pretty much cold turkeyed(1 month)after being on for 5 years at a high dose, 6 months off and I am in the fight of my life.

Stay strong, have hope, have faith and you have a supporter in Mr.A ! We are all in this together, nobody is alone.

Hello and thanks!

Well, I am actually pretty faithful about the exercise thing, although ironically, for the last two days I haven't been able to do any . . . Believe it or not, I awoke this morning feeling the closest to normal I've felt in a long while. Slept relatively normal too.

I'm actually thinking I'm close to leveling-out on the reinstatement.

Just looking forward to felling 'normal' for an extended period so I can then start the proper taper to get off.

This site and the new friends here are so supportive. I'll definitely check out that video!

Thanks again,

-Salted

I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience and research and is only my perspective

so glad you are feeling close to normal.. but please be prepared, it might become bad again...

i thought i prepared myself for waves when i was having a window, but it is always so hard to get hit by a wave especially after a window..... i hope you continue to feel well and get better...

Abir

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

good to hear Salted.

May you continue to feel even better.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

Best day yet, everyone!

I must be stabilized now on the new dosage.

If this is only a window, I LIKE IT!!!

May it stay open for a LONG TIME!!!

-Salted :D

• Moderator Emeritus

Yay!! hope it continues, at least you know the windows are there!

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Thanks, Strawberry17!

• Moderator Emeritus

This is very good news. There will be another wave and another window, ad infinitum, but both the ups and downs are steps forward to recovery. After a while you'll start to notice that the lows aren't quite as low and the highs are more like normal contentment.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

This is very good news. There will be another wave and another window, ad infinitum, but both the ups and downs are steps forward to recovery. After a while you'll start to notice that the lows aren't quite as low and the highs are more like normal contentment.

Yes, so true. Had almost an entire day yesterday without anxiety. Got up today and BAM!: Anxiety!!!

Still, I know that I am getting better. I SO LONG for normalcy and hope that it stays for a long time.

-Salted :huh:

how are you feeling Salted??

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:

Yes, how are you feeling? Hope the no news is good news in your case!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Hello Dear Friends:

Checking in:

I know each day gets better but it's happening so subtlely. I'll have moments where I'm not even thinking about it, then, WHAM: Anxiety, nausea, headache, etc. Still battling a blurry left eye too. I KNOW I'm getting used to the reinstatement, but I just want to feel 'normal' again and so far I'm not there.

As everyone keeps advising me: it's just going to take time.

I have had opportunities to go about my work and be out in public, but it's been difficult to say the least. Driving is tough, crowds are tough, noises are tough.

And I still want to cry over the simplest things. I made a big mistake by watching a movie yesterday evening - the film: "Saving Private Ryan." I cried for most of it and off and on throughout the remainder of the night.

STUPID!!

Of course, my dreams were horrible last night too - high stress-related action dreams.

I guess no more war movies for awhile, huh?

At least this evening I seemed to relax very nicely and enjoyed a little work-out also.

Still don't have much of an appetite as food just doesn't taste all that good for some reason. Anyone else have that issue?

Was really encouraged today as my homeopathic doctor called me just to see how I was doing. VERY COOL! I never got a call like that before from my regular doctor!!!!

Well, I'm going to try to get some sleep. I have two meetings in the morning.

Sending everyone much love and gratitude from sunny Southern California :D

-Salted

PS I am currently reading the book "Coming off Antidepressants" by Dr. Glenmullen. VERY INFORMATIVE!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Salted,

It's not stupid to cry. If you need to cry then that's all there is to it.

I know it's very discouraging going back into a wave when you've had such a lovely window.

Intellectually we prepare ourselves for the 'wheel of withdrawal' but emotionally it is very tough to deal with.

I hope you have a very long window soon.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Administrator

Do what you can to reduce stress and stimulation from bright lights, noise, etc.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Still don't have much of an appetite as food just doesn't taste all that good for some reason. Anyone else have that issue?

Hi Salted,

I had this problem too, no appetite, all food tastes blah, smelled awful. I lost my motivation for grocery shopping and cooking too, which was extra difficult because I have someone else to cook for, not that she can't make her own food. Lost a lot of weight, which should have been a good thing, but I didn't care.

Now my appetite is starting to come back, more so on some days. I occasionally feel like being creative in the kitchen again, twice last week I cooked from scratch rather than reheat from the freezer.

Your appetite will come back, don't worry, until then, just fake it and eat as healthy as you can manage :)

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Yeah Saving Private Ryan is pretty traumatic, you live and learn though.

That book "Coming off Antidepressants" was my lightbulb after years of failed cold turkey and alternate day withdrawals, the only thing I would say is that the example people in the book have very fast tapers, all of them and a bit too scheduled but the rest of it is excellent information.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

My appetite was really bad too, food disgusted me...i lost lots of weight.. but in the last couple of weeks, it has been back to almost normal, especially in the afternoon and evening...

about crying: this is one of the first symptoms i got (much earlier than the anxiety) ...i had 2 months like that (1 month after stopping AD), and i absolutely HATED it..i had to stay in my room the whole time because i could not control my crying at all... i could not say a word without crying.... . i would cry even when someone asks me what time it was.... this got better too...

it is like there is a series of emotions we need to go through before we get better....

reinstating AD:

Can I once again just say how wonderful this site is?

Everyone on here is FANTASTIC!!!!

You ALL fill my spirit!!!

I pray that you all have a wonderful day!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

-Salted

I hope you're feeling well. Very inspiring to read your story! I wish I was where you are. I'm still in that scared fear driven state wondering if I will get better. Thanks for posting about your days!

• Moderator Emeritus

Can I once again just say how wonderful this site is?

Everyone on here is FANTASTIC!!!!

You ALL fill my spirit!!!

I pray that you all have a wonderful day!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

-Salted

Thank you, Salted! Your helpful posts to other members are appreciated as well. :)

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Thank you, Salted! Your helpful posts to other members are appreciated as well. :)

Jemima said it -- thank YOU, Salted.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

This is totally random and completely off topic, but I was going for a walk the other evening and I walked by a ginkgo tree and it occurred to me that I never actually knew there were ginkgo nuts. Are there? Is that something you can buy, and, like, eat?

Silly me, I know, but now I'm curious and I have to know...

:-)

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

This is totally random and completely off topic, but I was going for a walk the other evening and I walked by a ginkgo tree and it occurred to me that I never actually knew there were ginkgo nuts. Are there? Is that something you can buy, and, like, eat?

Well, I wish I knew. I'll have to research that one!!

My 'name' came about in reference to one of my favorite jazz albums (by the Toshiko Akiyoshi-Lew Tabackin Big Band): "Salted Gingko Nuts."

Toshiko originally hails from Japan, so I am assuming maybe that gingko nuts are a Japanese snack?

I'll look into it for us! :P

-Salted

Found some info on Gingko Nuts:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/490551-roasted-ginkgo-nuts/

-Salted

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, I'll be switched. I never knew there was such a thing as a Ginko nut. :lol:

• Moderator Emeritus

Aw cool! Thanks for checking into that for me!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I didn't know that either:)

Thank you for your lovely posts to me on another thread.....

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• 1 year later...

And I will say hello and welcome back to you here in your thread which will bump it back up.

How funny, I was looking at someone's blog today and your avatar picture was on it, you had made a comment. I was wondering what had happened to you, you were my first friend.

Glad to see you back!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.