SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

CherBear Tapering Off Celexa

CherBear

Hi I'm new to this website, and am I ever glad I came across it! I've been on Celexa (between 20 - 40 mg for 10 years, although have attempted to come off on several occasions). I thought I was tapering myself off correctly(going from 40 for a few weeks to 30 to 20 to 10 etc), but in the end I have no luck. I am here again and have recently gone from 20 mg to 10 (was on the 20 for a very long time) and thought I was ok...I feel such a great sense of freedom...my head is clear and I don't feel as dumb as I had started to feel lately. Funny enough, I asked my Dr. who is a very well respected family physician about this memory loss I am experiencing lately...(or maybe I have been like this the entire time on these meds and more or less realizing it now)...and he said he had heard nothing about this. I google it this morning, and here I am. Glad to see that I am not the only one with a foggy brain.

After reading some of the forums I am wondering if I am tapering off too quickly. As I said I started the 10 mg from 20 mg about 5 days ago. I do feel a bit wired, but it's refreshing compared to how numb I felt on a higher dose. My worry is of course more withdrawal.

Has anyone successfully done the tapering this much at a time?

• Administrator

Welcome, CherBear.

Yes, people go off Celexa all kinds of ways, with negligible or only a few weeks of withdrawal symptoms. But other people hurt their nervous systems reducing rapidly, and that can take a very long time to heal.

We suggest a more cautious approach, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/ and other pinned topics in the Tapering forum.

Typically, nervous system disruption from withdrawal results in over-activity of the alerting system. Since you are already "wired" from your tapering, that process is underway. It can get much worse, leading to insomnia among other symptoms.

Since you've been on Celexa for 10 years, you're probably at risk for withdrawal syndrome. You may wish to hold at your dosage now until the "wired" feeling goes away, and then taper more gradually -- just to be safe. You only have one nervous system!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I can't add anything to what Alto said except to encourage you to consider stabilizing at your present dose and then tapering much more slowly and gradually. I tapered off of Lexapro far too quickly and beyond my initial cut from 10 mg. to 5 mg. I was in Withdrawal Hell. (Please note that Lexapro and Celexa are very similar drugs). It seems that symptoms are much worse at lower doses so it's best to make only tiny cuts at a time and stabilize for anywhere from weeks to months before cutting again. It's important to listen to one's body and be patient.

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad that you found us early on. I think you'll find that this forum is a huge help in getting off antidepressants with a minimum of discomfort and dysfunction.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thanks Alto and Jemima, I appreciate your input and this is clearly where I have gone wrong in the past. I plan to sit here at 10 mg for a long while, and go back to my Dr. to renew my perscription for 10 mg pills so I can cut those in half (currently I have the 20 mg pills and have cut them in half, but not sure I will be able to cut them down again. If I find the withdrawl becomes too much since I am only going on a week at this dose, I will go back up to stabilize and start over slower.

Hi CherBear

I take Celexa. You may to consider going back to 15mgs. Nothing wrong with updosing to feel better. You can even go back to the 20mgs.

Foggy Brain :blink: I have it and my memory is not what it once was. I have posted a thread about "is it AD's or Me".

I have a bit of a phobia about not being able to remember (forgetfulness)in which may have cost me a few jobs. This created a miserable a little phobia.

I was on other AD's before Celexa. It is a well known fact that AD's affect memory, and sadly most physicians are not really aware of it.

You are not alone.

I have noticed that settling down from tapers can help with memory. In the meantime, keep notes. It helps.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

Thanks Nikki, you guys are all so sweet. Great idea to take notes, on everything haha! Seriously though, I will do that. I feel ok at the moment, but like I said it's been a short time since I tapered, but other than feeling wired, I feel pretty good. And it's not really a bad thing, I feel more alive. :D I will just cross my fingers and hope it stays this way, but I wwom't hesitate for one second to go back up a little if I feel huge discomfort. I started some fish oil suppliments today with vitamin E to help.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cherbear,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm also taking citalopram. I'd strongly suggest you hold at this dose for a while and when you taper again, try to go at the recommended 10%.

It's not hard to make a liquid out of celexa yourself. This is a much more accurate way of tapering than shaving or cutting pills, plus it allows you to reduce by smaller amounts.

Good luck:)

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Another week on 10 mg and I am still doing good. I plan on staying here for a while to make sure I am in the clear before I taper again. I'm in no rush...I've been on this for 10 years, but I am so excited at the possibility of getting off these things. I no longer feel wired, and other than being short fused from time to time, I am feeling very good.

• Administrator

Great to hear, CB! Taper on!

• Moderator Emeritus

Another week on 10 mg and I am still doing good. I plan on staying here for a while to make sure I am in the clear before I taper again. I'm in no rush...I've been on this for 10 years, but I am so excited at the possibility of getting off these things. I no longer feel wired, and other than being short fused from time to time, I am feeling very good.

That's the spirit !! You're walking the walk and talking the talk of success!!! Good for you!!!

Welcome Cher bear

RU :)

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

You are an inspiration ..I'm stabilizing now since the end of Dec...

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

looks like i will have my work cut out for me when i get to the 5mg...what kind of wd did you experience? how long were you on celexa? you will get there flower, keep up the good work!

looks like i will have my work cut out for me when i get to the 5mg...what kind of wd did you experience? how long were you on celexa? you will get there flower, keep up the good work!

Sorry not to get back to you,I've been stabilizing at 10 mgs since the end of Dec. I'm not sure whats going on but I still have issues. I've since stopped Aspartame,Diet Pop, that set off other stuff..I wait again. Good Luck and take it slow.

C/T Celexa and Trazadone on Jan.29th 2014
Prescribed 1mg of Klonopin every 6 hours on Jan.29th
Began tapering Klonopin April 18th..stretching time between doses...at first one hour for 2 weeks then a half hour for app.10 days then another half hour 10days later.
Presently at .25 three times a day..6 2 and 10pm. Trying to stabilize.
Also still taking gabapentin 300mgs 2xs a day..

CB

Stabilizing feels so much better:) Doesn't it? Over the last year of so I tapered down from 40mgs. Celexa to 30mgs and from 40mgs. Imipramine to 30mgs. It wasn't that bad...

And then :blink: I made another drop (5mgs) and I got all of the anxiety/depression/crying stuff and sent back up. Although I did not have a problem dropping 5mgs on two occasions, I sure did the last time.

It's been months and I haven't made a move. May not for a long time to come.

So glad to hear you are stabilizing.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine