SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ angie007's story

Altostrata

Hi Guys,

Here i am, 17days off paxil, and feeling really quite low,

Yes i had paxil flu/nausea/fatigue/aches and pains/headaches,

now its a low depressed mood on top of anhedonia.

It has been a very long road, especially AS my taper was 56 months and pretty brutal if im honest, considering it was so slow,

but i have to remember too, that i had hit tolerance with this drugfrom the 8th year of my use, and got reinstated after my docts idea

a ct in 2005, which turned out very badly for me.

So i guess the low mood is because of that, plus the fact that i did the slow taper, and now at 17days off, im fed up, the only emotions i seem to feel are the negative ones, i have no problems crying, but can never seem to find anything to laugh about.

I seem to get up in the morning, do what i have to do, which isnt that much really, and after a few hours im feeling wiped out again, and end up resting on my bed, for my husband, its like having an invalid wife.

Today, i have felt adrenalin rush, that made me feel weird, and gave me a feeling of faintness,along with the foggy head and the feeling that im running on half a brain cell, and had feelings of anxiety too, something i havent really felt since i got off the paxil poison.

I guess, i just really am more than ready to join the world again, its been so long, but i still feel somewhat fragile, and some days

dont feel as good as id like to, along with being unmotivated.

I want to be a good wife/mother and nan again, and i m iss my old life.

This low /depressed/unmotivated stuff, is that normal in early wd??

Am i expecting too much, too soon?

I do what i can, but sometimes feel i should be doing a lot more.

Why is it, the only emotions i can feel right now are negative unhappy ones?

I have so much i want to do, drive my car again,go shopping for my outfits for my daughters weddings, and i just cant, not feeling like this, i havent the interest to go and choose something nice, id likely just pick up anything, just to say ive got something, so i could get home again. Plus, i still feel weary/fatigued and worn down by it all, plus im only sleeping about 4/5 hours a night at best, and although i rest in the afternoon , it never results in my taking a nap unfortunately.

Maybe someone here can relate, and offer me some reassurance that all of this is "normal" for the stage im at in wd?

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

It also is not helpfuli know that i have only glotten one small walk in weeks,

maybe thats a part of whats wrong too, plus, i seem to spend so much time on my own,

and as my family are football fans, i tend to hole up in my room every night, so that i can watch

or do what i want - i guess i just feel low and very lonely and isolated right now.

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

Plus im pretty sure due to my slow taper and symptoms,

i have developed some psuedo agoraphobia too, which i really have

to break and soon, what with these weddings coming off, im a bit worried

to be honest, as i can go out if i have someone with me, but alone, its a no go,

jus haventgot the confidence anymore that i once had.

• Administrator

angie, I moved your posts here because they are not about a specific symptom.

Getting out more and walking a bit -- at least a half-hour a day -- will help regularize your systems. Your body needs exercise for circulation and just to work better.

This will help with anxiety waves, digestion, feeling low, etc.

Go somewhere you feel safe, walk around the block a few times, say hello to your neighbors, go to the market and get some vegetables. Look at the trees and flowers. All of this helps.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Guys,

can anyone help please;-

Im 18days off paxil, and after having an adrenalin rush yesterday and having the anxious feelings

return with that, it hasnt eased at all.

last night was one of th worst, felt realy anxious, tried every technique i know and nothing helped,

struggled to get off to sleep last night and eventually got about 3 hours or so.

Woke early again this morning, feeling very anxious, nervous, shaky and unwell,

can this be normal?? as i havent felt any anxiety since coming off, although had

plenty of it during my long taper.

Please??if anyone can help id be glad of the advice.

Aching muscles, fatigue, my stomach is churning, my heart is racing,

i feel clammy, dizzy and shaky, feel weird like something bad going to happen to me,

can this be anxiety/panic

and normal for coming off paxil???

Just pretty scared right now to be honest, but im trying to do some relaxation

and divert mt thoughts, i just so badly want all of this to go away!!!

yet another day i woke crying i guess, im sick of that too.

hi Angie,

your anxiety, terror or fears are 90% chemical disorders, fighting them is lose effort and time, i have been there,

divert as you say is the best,

this state cannot stay the same, it have to diminish in time, but unfortunately it will come back or another thing (when not two at the beginning of off)

divert, divert...

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Thanks Stan,

i really appreciate your help and advice, i was in such a state,

i really thought it had gone away after i ditched the drug - how naive of me.

Does anyone know if its possible to develop and keep this anxiety after wd,

even though i never had it before tapering???

Or because its chemically induced, does it always go away??

i really thought it had gone away after i ditched the drug - how naive of me.

To be honest, i see your attitude and know you were wrong, but i tell nothing because you were not ready to hear the truth

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

in protracted withdrawal

Stan,

I understand your reasons for not saying anything, what i dont understand

is why i was slo gullible, i truly thought that after getting rid of it after

i quit the drug, that it was gone.

I really thought the ones who had anxiety after paxil, were the ones who suffered

with anxiety prior to treatment, not the likes of me, who had zero symptoms and lived

a nice symptom free life, prior to this poison.

I am really upset to have this back as a part of my life now, and know that i must come

to terms with that and deal with it, the best way i can - so bloody unfair.

i tapered so slowly and seem to have hit every wall in the same way that ct ers do,

the only difference for me right now, is that i can function, in ct i didnt.

That leads me nicely into another question stan,

Akathesia????? i guess that can come back too then, just as it did for you??

Now i am terrified, i really hated that...........

Staff,

Im not sure where i should post this, so please move it if ive posted in the wrong place again.

What i would like to ask is this?

Do these symptoms ever get better and go away completely??

or do the unfortunate victims of these drugs just suffer that long, that

they learn to cope a lot better with them.

That leads me nicely into another question stan,

Akathesia????? i guess that can come back too then, just as it did for you??

Now i am terrified, i really hated that...........

for what i know,

akathisia is induced by psy meds,

if you do not take any meds (about nerves) more, even if akathisia re-appear, it will go away apparently for good,

the only testimonies who have akathisia very long time are people who took several benzo antidepressants, and taking beta blocker or antipsychotic to help during their akathisia, or continuing on another antidepressant (for some real reasons sometime),

so for you, akathisia will not be a problem, maybe you will never more have it

for anxiety 

in protracted withdrawal

Thankyou Stan,

That is really helpful to know buddy.

Hi Angie,

I guess anxiety is one of the most common SSRI w/d symptoms out there. Not only do people get it because of the messing of SSRIs with the serotonergic system, but also due to the whole w/d experience. I am sure that I have developed an unconscious anxiety disorder due to my adverse reaction, which is still a major factor in my recovery.

The good thing is, later in w/d one can actively work on that and it will go away eventually.

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

• Administrator

....i really thought it had gone away after i ditched the drug - how naive of me....

Don't blame yourself, angie. We were all hoping this would be true for you.

Still, you might be among the majority who experience withdrawal symptoms for a few weeks or months, then it goes away.

....Does anyone know if its possible to develop and keep this anxiety after wd,

even though i never had it before tapering???

Or because its chemically induced, does it always go away??....

Unprecedented anxiety is a very common withdrawal symptom; poor sleep also. Most of us have dealt with it or are dealing with these.

The anxiety is "chemically induced," meaning your nervous system is sending out anxiety signals with no psychological reason -- neuro-anxiety, as Healing put it. This is what we are talking about when we say "alerting system."

Try not to add to the neuro-anxiety with psychological anxiety. Put yourself in a positive frame of mind. Symptoms will come in waves, they will change, and they will pass.

See our commonsense suggestions here for improving sleep. Even if they help only a little bit, you will feel a lot better if you get 4 hours of sleep rather than 3.

....I really thought the ones who had anxiety after paxil, were the ones who suffered

with anxiety prior to treatment, not the likes of me, who had zero symptoms and lived

a nice symptom free life, prior to this poison....

That is absolutely untrue, despite what that other site says.

Angie, don't worry about akathesia. Take it one step at a time.

....Do these symptoms ever get better and go away completely??

or do the unfortunate victims of these drugs just suffer that long, that

they learn to cope a lot better with them.

Excellent question. One of the purposes of this site is to gather stories in the Introductions section so we can answer it. We know people have recovered but getting them to post here is difficult. If you know of anyone who has recovered, please ask them to register and post in Introductions -- it would help us all so much.

Hi Angie,

I guess anxiety is one of the most common SSRI w/d symptoms out there. Not only do people get it because of the messing of SSRIs with the serotonergic system, but also due to the whole w/d experience. I am sure that I have developed an unconscious anxiety disorder due to my adverse reaction, which is still a major factor in my recovery.

The good thing is, later in w/d one can actively work on that and it will go away eventually.

Very true, Maybe. Thank you for that post.

You can also work on anxiety right away -- by having a positive attitude, putting one foot in front of the other, and noting waves and windows. Learning that feelings pass is an extremely valuable life lesson for everyone.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Angie, I hope you are feeling better since it is later in the day...I just wanted to point out that I came off of the drug much faster than you and could not function as you mention you couldn't when you came off too fast. But I am much much better and only have a few "residual" symptoms, but nothing that keeps me from living my life now. As hard as it is try not to worry about not getting better because you will. The w/d anxiety makes you think you won't and contrary to what they say on the other board the w/d anxiety is not "normal" anxiety that people can CBT away. But, it will settle down on its own it just takes time. Hang in there....

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

Hi Guys,

Well, can anyone here offer any advice.

Since coming off paxil i have found myself becoming totally unmotivated, i force myself out of my bed each and everyday, my mood is pretty low as to the situation i find myself in - as sometimes i struggle to see a way out, maybe... part of that is, that ive had a very long taper and suffered wd symptoms throughout, im not sure, as this is definately not me, i am not a person to be depressed or low to be honest.

I cannot seem to drum up any interest in anything, all that dominates my thoughts is paxil, wd symptoms, how i feel and recovery, heck where did my life go??

Does all of this go away????

I slept better last night from 11 until 5.30 - wow = 6 and a half hours, and i felt so much better in myself this morning,

then the above hit, i was more than disappointed, as it feels like a step backwards.

Anyway, as i babysat my youngest grandaughter of 4months since yesterday morning, ive had to force myself to do what has been necessary, it has done me no harm,

but, i have to admit, much as i love having my grandchildren over to stay, i havent exactly felt any pleasure from it.

Maybe, im expecting too much too soon, im not sure, its stillvery early for me i know, but it would be lovely just to be able to feel again,

to feel " normal" and to feel emotions other than just negative sad ones.

Anyone else experienced this????

Just to be assured it is all "normal" for us would be lovely, i was so distressed by this, i spoke with my husband about my " need" for more medication,

MY GOD, thats something i never want to do, but i guess we all crave normality, stuck in this pit for who knows how long.

Can someone out there assure me that my line of thinking here is " normal", and no!!!!!

I definately do not want more meds, meds are the sole reason im where i am now.But it doesnt mean i have to be happy about it, or that i have to like it.

Ok, that was yesterday, and that feeling hung around till late afternoon,

Then i started to feel " some good things " that i havent felt in a long time,

feelings for my husband, feelings for my children, my grandchildren, wow, it was wonderful.

I woke up this morning, and ( fingers crossed) although i didnt have any wd symptoms looming

over me, i felt poisoned and not very well, that hs now passed somewhat, but the good thing is,

that i can " still " feel.

is this feeling back to stay - or is only on loan for a short time once again s i g h !!!

Hi Anjie, just enjoy the feeling :) Dont "what if". I know its hard, but I'm sure there'll be ups and downs, that's natural.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

Hi Healing,

Your post means so much to me, as you give me so much hope that this will go away,

and yes i make a big big mistake each time i get hit, i worry over the symptoms

produced by the anxiety, as each time it comes it brings new symptoms, ie, just

as I begin to adapt to the usual symptoms, something new crops up and the fear feeds it once again,

its a vicious circle - and fuelled by fear each time.

This is so new to me being newly off, i had gotten used to the akathesia form, not that id like it back of course,

so maybe in time i will adapt and cope with it better.

I know that anxiety isnt meant to be harmful, but surely it doesnt do us any good in the long term

to be in a constant state of stress and anxiety.

Sorry, the above post was to HOPEFUL,

I think its pretty normal when going through this to worry about getting better,

it sometimes can be a very long process, as we see here.

Yes my taper was extraordinarily long, down to fear alone, because of my ct experience,

at the moment i struggle wondering wether it was worthwhile, but no doubt time will tell.

I also agree that wd anxiety does have us believing that we are not capable of this and that

during the process, and convinces us that we are stuck in this loop, that we cannot break,

and we are stuck like this forever, part of that is the time it takes to recover i think,

as none of us know where the end of the road is, or how near or far we ar away from it.

As for therapies, i think if you have normal anxiety then yes they can work very well,

but for anxiety that is not thought driven, but produced chemically, then i believe there

is nothing that helps, only to keep walking through it and some days is harder than others.

• Administrator

angie, it's a little more complicated than that.

You may have neuro-emotion, which is caused by nervous system dysregulation. You cannot fix that by willpower, but you can help it along by keeping your body healthy -- such as walking at least a half-hour each day -- and staying calm.

You can add to neuro-emotion by worrying. You can make yourself worse by worrying. You can control the worrying through willpower. There are lots of ways to do this, see topics in this forum about meditation, "changing the channel," etc. This is why I post news stories about such things as music therapy. Different things work for different people. Choose techniques that suit you to manage your worrying, because it is not helping you.

Please take our suggestions to heart. This is the way each of us has had to cope with our conditions. Do what you can to take care of yourself and stop worrying.

Hi Guys,

Well ive learnt a lot about what paxil does to us all, but OMG, i didnt realise

the bad effects it must have on our nervous systems.

There has been a few days where ive suffered with jitteryness and shakyness out of

nowhere, and today i even felt like my head was shaking, although looking in

the mirror its not !!!!

Can this be right?? is this the part of the aftermath of paxil?

Anyone here experienced the same or similar? does it indeed get any better??

or is this one of the last things to leave?? in which case something else i have to

accept and deal with, yet again.

i had not your symptoms but have mine (shakiness in bed)

have you feeled "turning the corner" and after all becomes more linear healing?

at 26 months past i have not turned the corner and new severes troubles appear,

when we "turn the corner", apparently testimonies say we are better

you and i are in the phase where all crap comes back up and down, each day a new crap

for anxiety 

in protracted withdrawal

Hi stan,

Thankyou for your reply, and im sorry you are still suffering my friend,

You sound so miserable and fed up, and i understand that, it takes a long time,

before we are able to get our lives back.

Well much as the morning didnt start too well, i still went out shopping and

lunch with my friend, and stayed out for about 6 hours, and enjoyed it to a certain extent.

I sill have symptoms, mainly attached to my nervous system at the moment, and have a whooshing

feeling in my ears now again, the lower backpain is still apparent, although not everyday and the fatigue

can and has hit hard some days, but i am still pushing myself to partake in normal life as much as i can,

however i may feel, its odd because i can be feeling pretty much ok for a large part of the day, after the

morning blahs passes of course, and all of a sudden i get that old familiar wd feeling of yuckiness hit,

I have learnt that this is my cue to call it a day!!!

I hope that we all turn that corner very soon my friend, you especially as you have waited a long time

to see some light at the and of the tunnel.

Keep hanging on in there STAN, all good things cme to those who wait, just a little bit more and im sure

you will be there.

I am now at about 43 months and the nasty CNS effects are the most prevalent stuff for me now. Not the same as you have but nasty nevertheless... some kind of jonlts in the chests radiation into the arms... and robbing me of all concetration power and even the ability to type longer than a few minutes.

Sometimes it is better and I feel almost in heaven then. I guess it takes indeed a very long time for the CNS to revert to something like normal... 4 to 5 years or so. I wil vbe VERY glas if I am 95% healed at the 5 years mark in 2012...

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

I don't think my CNS has ever returned to normal, but it's something I've learned to live with. Angie I think you just need to keep living your life, as best you can considering the physical symptoms you're dealing with. I'm glad you're feeling well enough to go out and go shopping with a friend; keep doing those things because they will get your mind off your withdrawal.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
Tried to quit twice, finally did it on my 3rd attempt in 2005.

I went from 20mg to zero in about four months, believing at the time that it was a reasonable taper.  It wasn't.  I suffered mostly emotional symptoms: frequent episodes of "anxious depression" lasting for about 17 months before it got noticeably better.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Well its been 6 weeks drug free for me, my poison was the dreaded Seroxat (paxil),

and i guess some things have gotten somewhat better and others have gotten worse, ahh the see saw of wd eh,

for NOW.

But omg, the low moods, the anxiety, depression, well this weekend saw the start of that again, as it ramped up at the lower doses in tapering too,

the first of our weddings is in 2 weeks time, hence the stag weekend is this next weeekend, and of course my husband is going.

Sunday was the birthday of one of the babys we lost and we spent the day with my daughter and her partner ( the ones who are getting married in 2 wks),

and the two granddaughters, it turned out to be a nice day, much as i pushed myself to go and just be as normal as i could, i took us all out for lunch too

being fathers day. We got back and within 5 mins, hubby decided he was going to golf and left me with the kids and grandchildren knowing that id had enough

that day, he returned about 9.30 that evening, and by that time, id stewed up everything, my frustration and anger just got the better of me, and i couldnt

wait to pounce when he got back - the argument ended up lasting all night, whereby i told him he wasnt going on these stag nights, and he was evil to say the least. After no sleep for either of us, monday saw me in the same mood only ANGRIER, and he wasnt in a good mood either as he didnt go to work.

He asked several times if we could sort it out, i threw things, i shouted, i was so horrible, i cried terribly - paxil rage?????

We did eventually sit down when i felt a little more rational and we did talk and happily we are ok now, but this is so not like me at all, which worries

my husband.

Its not even the fact that i mind him going on these weekends away, GOD, he deserves it, putting up with me and wd, its more the fact that, it makes

me realise just how different our worlds are, and how far away from normal i really am, as im far from being able to enjoy weekends away, and being able to enjoy anything right now, and that makes me so sad, as all i really want now is to join the land of the living again, and to be my usual carefree, normal self, who loved life and everything it had to offer, instead of being the introverted, selfish person i have become, who cares about nothing only being well again.

Oh and of course, in an argument when my husband screams at me that im mental or mad,which he quite often does, that really boils my blood,

and thats when i really kick off, not that that is any excuse for my disgusting behaviour or attitude at all.

Can anyone reassure me that this is NORMAL in wd???? and does it eventually get better.

• Administrator

angie, withdrawal can make you more sensitive emotionally.

Now you're going through the wedding, we knew that would be a stressful time for you.

Do what you can -- try meditative deep breathing for a few minutes every hour to calm yourself down. Just take a break for yourself and breathe, clear your mind, hug yourself, and tell yourself you're going to be all right. This too will pass.

Thankyou Alto,

For your support, it means a lot.

At the present moment, ive had to take antibs (*amoxycillin ) for an abcess from a broken tooth, where the root is left in my mouth, not sure if this has some responsibility for the ramped up low mood or not, but i have dizzyness and a sort of disconnected feeling too, guess i could say i feel like an alien really, and much as i push myself to ignore what and how im feeling most days and go out and try to live a life anyway, the disconnection from family and friends is not nice

to say the least.

But thanxs anyway - i guess i should have expected a ramp up just before the wedding, considering the problems we have had since before xmas with the mil making qa play for my husband - no doubt i will fake it till i make it, and pray i will get through the day, and keep my sanity too, what bit i have left after paxil wd lol.

• Administrator

And don't forget to take those breathing breaks!

• Administrator

anj, how are you doing?

Hi Alto,

Im ok, this week hasnt been brilliant, ive had the rages one day, then the neuro emotions, but i think i handled it well under the circumstances.

Wedding is week after next, been out shopping this afternoon, and got the neuro emotions after i got raved at by some loony in a shop for nothing i might add, and believe you me, she was awful lucky she didnt get what for, but i managed to hold it together, plus hubby away all weekend on a stag weekend, so been feeling neuro emotional and teary,lonely and bored too, but im doing it!!!!!!!!!!!! and surviving i think.

Thanxs for asking after me, it means a lot to know someone cares, that was a really nice thought!!!!!

• Administrator

You're doing great, angie!

Does anyone know how much worse this gets?????

I think ive had almost every symptom there is, and i slow tapered too.