SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Corky: off Pristiq

Admin note: link to benzo forum thread - Corky Alprazolam

Let me start with a grateful thank you. Had I not found this site my weaning off Pristiq would have been a disaster. Knowledge is a wonderful thing. I had been on 100 mg for the past 3 or so years. It was time. I am 55 years old and this was my first bout with a major depressive episode. I now know that the Dr. should have given me a less aggressive med. I also have Xanax to take as needed. I have not become addicted to them.

In December I switched to 50 mg of Pristiq. The side effects were minimal (an occasional headache). I stayed with the 50 until March and tried the every other day method. Side effects gone wild! Had I not found this site I would have thought I was breaking down again. Took myself to different pharmacists who told me " I am not supposed to say this, but try cutting the pills" . Like Mogfish I played big half/small half. Not rocket science but it is working for me. I have been taking approximately 15 mg in the morning and 12 mg at night. I also added as per advice received here 2400 mg of fish oil.

It is day 3 of skipping the night dose. Its not fun, but it is bearable. I do not want to go backwards. My plan is to adjust to this level over the next month or more.

Hopefully I filled my last Pristiq prescription!

Edited by Shep
link to benzo forum thread

July 2008 .5 Xanax as needed

July 2009 50 mg Pristiq..increasing to 100mg ..xanax as needed

December 2012 50 mg Pristiq  Xanax as needed

March 2013 slow taper of Pristiq...Xanax as needed

June 2013 .. Xanax as needed

November 2013..10mg Lexpro 

November 2013 Reinstated Pristiq 50mg then 100 ..Hydroxyzone-Pam for anxiety..Xanax as needed

June 2017 .. wean of Pristiq switch to 10mg Trintellix..Xanax as needed

March 2018 ..reduce Trintellix..switch to 150 WellbutrinXL..Xanax as needed 

Now 300WellbutrinXL.. 3mg Xanax at night

• Administrator

Welcome, Corky.

I moved your first post here as your Intro topic so it wouldn't get lost.

It is indeed difficult to taper off Pristiq. For a thorough discussion, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/

There aren't many options other than cutting up the tablet.

What you might want to do is hold for a good long time before making another reduction, as your reductions are so large.

What kinds of symptoms do you have now?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, Corky. I agree with you that Pristiq is far too aggressive a treatment for much of anything, having experienced the awful stuff myself.

I'm glad you found us. You'll find lots of solid information and gentle, friendly support here.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Now is the time for my night time dose,day 3 of not taking. Currently experiencing pounding headache and a desire to scream at anyone near!

November 2013 Reinstated Pristiq 50mg then 100 ..Hydroxyzone-Pam for anxiety..Xanax as needed

These people really care! Come visit often for all the support we can give!!! Hang in there,

-Tim

10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac Jan. 2009-Nov. 2012

Went COLD TURKEY Nov. 2012-March 2013

.05-1 mg daily Lorazepam March 2013-April 2013

After approximately 21 days, stopped COLD TURKEY

Doctor put me on 20 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 4/25/13

I decided to jump down to 10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 5/08/13

Will stay here for a few months, then taper to ZERO!!

I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience and research and is only my perspective

Kinda wishing that the next few hours pass quickly so that I can go to sleep! Thanks for listening to me whine

• Administrator

You can take a crumb of Pristiq, Corky. You're making fairly large drops, you may need to take an intermediary-size dose. No reason to try and suffer through it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

A crumb sounds real good!

I just finished reading hundreds of posts. I'm guessing the fatigue and muscle pains (and other major flu like symptoms) I have had for 2 days is not because I am getting the flu!

Make it stop!

• Administrator

I'm sorry, Corky, you're getting withdrawal symptoms from those big drops in dosage.

Hi corky and welcome.

Sounds like you have had a rotten day. Day 3 of a reduced dose was when I felt the same way you are feeling and had no tolerance for anyone when I tapered too fast which is why I added the quarter tablet in the afternoon on top of the half tablet in the morning. this method worked for me really well. when it came to dropping the afternoon dose I took a slighly higher dose in the morning(the big half of the tablet).

Also before I completely dropped the afternoon quarter, I would bite off a little bit of the quarter pill to give me a little bit of the dose in the afternoons too so my body wasn't withdrawing every evening from the pristiq. I did only do this for about a week which for many would be way too fast but it seemed to work for me well. As I have said in my posts, I have listened to my body. it sounds like your body is screaming out to you to maybe slow your taper down a little?

I am keen as mustard to get off the pristiq completely but after reading info from this site I am taking things slowly and listening to my body and so far so good as I have had pretty much no side effects at all. I imagine that i am probably one of the lucky few to have pretty much no side effects whilst weaning but taking it slow would be a big contributor also. I'm still weaning several months from my first taper and am currently very stable and happy taking a small half of 50mg pristiq each day (down from a big half each day)

I hope tomorrow is a better one for you :)

have been on and off antidepressants for 16 years since becoming pregnant with my now 15 year old daughter.
Was put on effexor several years ago and experienced horrible side effects(shakes, vomiting, sweats, chills) about a week into commencing them.
Stopped effexor cold turkey and commenced on cipramil which I stayed on a low dose for many years until I weaned myself off.
A few years ago I was advised to go back on antidepressants and put on Pristiq. Started on 50 mg but experienced insomnia and irritability so halved the dose to 25mg which I tolerated well but didn't do a lot to help with the "depression" so eventually increased dose to 50mg which I was on for about 3 years 
I felt I was ready  to come off the antidepressants so began to wean off them.The method I have used was to cut the tablets up.

At first I took a half in the morning then a quarter late in the afternoon. I would often end up with a big half and a little half when cutting the pills up so I would take the big halves for a about 2 months then swap to the little halves therefore giving me a smallish dose reduction. I held on each reduction for about 6 to eight weeks and sometimes longer depending on how I was feeling.
To try to simply summarise my dosing method……….
*Big half  in morning quarter in early evening (around 4pm) 
*Small half in morning and quarter in evening
*Small half in morning then 1/8 in evening
*big half in morning and evening dose dropped
*small half in morning
*big quarter in morning
*small quarter in morning
*Big eighth in morning
*small eighth in morning
* a nibble of the already tiny tablet :))
This method has proved to be successful for me thus far and as of June 2014 I am more than 2 months completely Pristiq free

I did take a smidge ( slightly less then a crumb) last night. DS symptoms relieved until bed time. I will alter today's approach to tapering. Took a smaller quarter this morning and will take a crumb early evening. Wish me luck!

Question, Why am I feeling this stage of withdrawal so much more intensely then any of the other, just as dramatic percentages?

Hi again Corky,

Alto is probably the best person to answer that question although I would imagine that because you have breached the coating of the tablet it is no longer slow release therefore you are getting a hit of the med in the morning but it would have completely worn off by the evening hence the horrible withdrawal symptoms at night time. Also perhaps your nervous system is revolting against the rapidness of your taper? I know when I first tried to wean off pristiq, I initially tried to take just half a tablet in the morning( Doctors advice) and by day 3 I was a horrible B*#ch.

I have found that by weaning at a much slower rate, and holding at each stage for several weeks and at times months,my nervous system has had time to recover and compensate for each reduced dose that I have done

Oh, and Good luck!! :D

have been on and off antidepressants for 16 years since becoming pregnant with my now 15 year old daughter.
Was put on effexor several years ago and experienced horrible side effects(shakes, vomiting, sweats, chills) about a week into commencing them.
Stopped effexor cold turkey and commenced on cipramil which I stayed on a low dose for many years until I weaned myself off.
A few years ago I was advised to go back on antidepressants and put on Pristiq. Started on 50 mg but experienced insomnia and irritability so halved the dose to 25mg which I tolerated well but didn't do a lot to help with the "depression" so eventually increased dose to 50mg which I was on for about 3 years 
I felt I was ready  to come off the antidepressants so began to wean off them.The method I have used was to cut the tablets up.

At first I took a half in the morning then a quarter late in the afternoon. I would often end up with a big half and a little half when cutting the pills up so I would take the big halves for a about 2 months then swap to the little halves therefore giving me a smallish dose reduction. I held on each reduction for about 6 to eight weeks and sometimes longer depending on how I was feeling.
To try to simply summarise my dosing method……….
*Big half  in morning quarter in early evening (around 4pm) 
*Small half in morning and quarter in evening
*Small half in morning then 1/8 in evening
*big half in morning and evening dose dropped
*small half in morning
*big quarter in morning
*small quarter in morning
*Big eighth in morning
*small eighth in morning
* a nibble of the already tiny tablet :))
This method has proved to be successful for me thus far and as of June 2014 I am more than 2 months completely Pristiq free
  • Administrator

More likely, it's because as you lower the dose, further decreases are a larger proportion of the last dose. 12.5mg is a bigger proportion of 25mg (50%) than it is of 50mg (25%).

Also, your nervous system might be feeling the stress of prior decreases, which is why holding for a while might be a good idea, to let it regroup.

Easy Day. Took 12.5 in morning and a crumb at 7pm. Just the headache.

Down to just the 12.5 in AM.... I'm surviving!

• Administrator

Yay!!!!

In your non medical opinion do how long should I stay at this level? I was thinking another 3 weeks.

• Administrator

That sounds good. You're at 25mg now, right? Think in terms of reducing by crumbs from now on.

Im at 12.5 now....

• 2 weeks later...

Headache gone, body-aches mild. Current symptoms; highly emotional and weepy! Yuck

• 4 weeks later...

Im free!   Day 14 of nothing.  It was touch an go for the first 10 days.. Thought about reinstating, but I made it!

• Administrator

Good to hear. What was your symptom pattern over the 10 days?

Please keep us posted about how you're doing.

Day 1 & 2 mild headache.

Days 3 - 8  Shoot me!  Flu like aches, Brain Zaps. If someone looked at me the wrong way the tear gates opened. lethargy and malaise. This was the hardest of all the reductions I had previously done.

Days 9 through 14  The headaches became less intense and didn't start until afternoon. By day 12 it didn't start until bedtime.By day 14 it just didn't start!

I did a lot of walking, healthy eating, and early bedtimes (which of course meant mornings started at 5 am). Tried a few movies. I do not advise seeing any action 3-D's while experiencing withdrawal symptoms , those were a shock to my nervous system LOL. 

Hopefully Im truly done!

• 3 months later...

Help!  I was doing great until 3 weeks ago. The depression symptoms have returned.  Not as sever as 5 years ago but enough. I wake up praying for the day to be over. Im trying all the things that I have learned over the years to combat the symptoms without go back on antidepressants. Fish oil, alpha lipoic acid, walking breathing etc.  Is there anything else I can do?????????????

I dont think I can wait anymore to get to the Dr.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Corky,

I'm sorry you are having some feelings of depression after doing so well.  How long ago did you last take medication and what was the dose.  This might be a wave of withdrawal symptoms, but its difficult to tell without knowing your taper schedule.

Did anything happen or change in your life about 3 weeks ago which may have triggered these feelings?

If you put your withdrawal history in your signature, it will be easier for members to understand your situation and offer suggestions.

Instructions here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

You mentioned going to your Dr. Are you considering going back on medication?

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Petu, Thanks for replying

I will write formally write withdrawal history when I start feeling better. It is  the Pristq with a slow taper starting in December and finishing June.  There were some stressers 3 weeks ago, but nothing monumental. I should have been able to handle them without having this episode.

The last few days have been bad, not getting the relief that usually comes by afternoon. I am considering going on meds, but think I can wait another week. I dont want to put that crap back in my system.

I did some research and added 5-HTP to my regimen.  Any thoughts on that?

• Administrator

I am trying to prepare myself for this as well. Are you getting sunshine every day with your walks? Have you checked your vitamin D level? Meditation/relaxation? How is your weight...belly fat can trigger an inflammatory response that leads to depression (Vitamin C, dark chocolate, magnesium, fish oil). Have you tried CBT ( you can see Hudgeon's thread). Is your thyroid okay? I think the symptoms forum would have more ideas. Pulling for you!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thank you.  It seems like its worth the try. Sounds better then returning to ADs  

The overwhelming feelings of doom and gloom are starting to lift in the afternoon.  The morning still intense. I wake up not knowing how I am going to get through until afternoon.

Dr, appointment at 11

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Corky!

I have seen that it's not at all unusual for people to have a delayed onset of withdrawal symptoms (frequently a "relapse" of depression) somewhere around three to six months after coming off an AD. This may be what's happening with you.

I'm with Meimei in recommending nondrug ways to address this problem. In particular, given the time of year, I would suggest you  make sure you're getting lots of daylight. If you can't get a lot of sunshine, try one of those therapy lamps they make for seasonal affective disorder.  Make sure you're also getting exercise every day, a good night's sleep every night, and enough good social interaction.

That's where I'd start. CBT is also good, but I think exercise, light, sleep, and diet are more important and the first things to address.

Good luck! you've made it this far, you can do this!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Feeling worse earlier in the day sounds like a hangover from morning cortisol. This is a very common withdrawal syndrome pattern. It will gradually get less intense. Hang in there.

Theanine early in the day might help, theanine counters cortisol.

• 7 months later...

I did reinstate in November. So sorry to disappoint you and myself! 

• Administrator

That's not disappointing, we all do what we need to do to take care of ourselves.

What did you reinstate, what was the dosage, and what what the result?

First lexapro 10mg assuming that was the lesser of all the evils.  My condition continued to decline, had my first major panic attack(spent day in emergency room sure that I was having a heart attack). Went to different Dr,,I told him I didn't want to get to dependent on xanax so he gave me Hydroxyzone-Pam to get over the bumps.  I went back on 50mg Prestiq. I slowly progressed to being able to function almost normally again. Im still not feeling as good as I was before I began my taper.

Its mind boggling to me that I would reinstate a drug that I worked so hard to get off of.