SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Studywise: After weening

Studywise

pLEASE HELP. Is it true that even though I am not on a "therapeutic" dose by doctors standards, can my brain still be " shut down" and not producing it's own " happy chemicals". I am on half of the dose it took to cause "therapeutic" changes. Do I need to be at a lower dose or completely off before normalcy begins?? Thanks so much.

Studywise...

I'm probably the first responder here because of the time of day (it's the middle of the night in the USA)... so I'm going to ask you some questions. If you see these and reply soon, the Big Guys With All the Answers can help you better when they wake up.

What is your history? When did you start on meds? What dose are you on now, and for how long? What was it before?

The best intro I've seen on here was the one titled Brain: My Brain on Drugs (it is brand new & right next to yours currently). See how he gave his history for each med. Yours doesn't have to be that fancy, but without details it is impossible for us to help you.

The second thing is...

Take a deep breath. You've come to the right place. These guys are awesome and can help you on your way. You're going to be alright, I promise. B)

Lexapro/Escitalopram

- many attempts at taper were unsuccessful until I stopped taking hormonal birth control

- successful taper & Lexapro-free as of Dec 2015

• Moderator Emeritus

HI Studywise

Wingbatty is right, we need more information before we can provide advice and you are in the right place.

People here are very helpful, informative and supportive. The sooner you can provide answers to wingbattys

questions, the sooner people can start answering your questions

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Administrator

Welcome, Studywise.

Congratulations on starting your Intro topic. You did a great job. Do tell us more about yourself.

pLEASE HELP. Is it true that even though I am not on a "therapeutic" dose by doctors standards, can my brain still be " shut down" and not producing it's own " happy chemicals". I am on half of the dose it took to cause "therapeutic" changes. Do I need to be at a lower dose or completely off before normalcy begins?? Thanks so much.

Even on a lower dose, your brain and nervous system are recovering. Don't worry about what's called the "therapeutic" dose, that's just a number thought up by a pharmaceutical company. It has no bearing on your brain and nervous system.

What's important is to keep your brain and nervous system steady. If you are having withdrawal symptoms, your brain and nervous system have been shaken up. It needs to settle down to recover.

How are you feeling now, Studywise? What are you taking, how much, how did you reduce the dosage?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 weeks later...

Does a person ever feel his former happiness and peace of mind after being completely off anti-depressants? Eventually?

• Moderator Emeritus

I believe they do, I certainly feel alive again after

reducing my AD slowly. I'm not done yet but am so much better than

I was. My family and friends have noticed a difference too.

There is a topic on success stories, take a look there

and be inspired. :) People come to these sites desperate

for help to quit drugs of whatever type and gradually

get better. They probably slow down on posting as they

get their life back and don't need help any more, so

we don't hear about the successes very often.

I do know some people personally who have recovered and gone

on to live full and active lives but again, they don't usually

talk much about it to anyone but people they are close to.

That's why you don't hear very many success stories but

I am sure there are many if only they shared them, but

they are too busy enjoying their new lives and don't want

to revisit the old one and who can blame them? :D

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Does a person ever feel his former happiness and peace of mind after being completely off anti-depressants? Eventually?

Absolutely. Here's a topic on successes:

Recovery Success Stories

Please note that there are many people who succeed in getting off antidepressants who do not access sites like this one, and that there are many people who do who choose not to post their success stories. A great deal of what you will read here are stories of struggle for which the end has not yet been written. That's the nature of a website that offers help to people who are suffering.

I'm very close to recovering myself after seventeen months off Lexapro that began and ended with a too-fast taper and this website has helped me more than words can say. I expect to be writing a success story fairly soon.

Please tell us more about yourself and add your drug history to the signature area of your profile when you have time. Here's how to do the drug history:

How To Add Your Drug History To Your Signature

Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of solid information and gentle, friendly support here.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Studywise, if you have questions, add them to your Intro topic by clicking on the big blue Add Reply button at the top or bottom of the topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.