SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Desem: I need help in tapering really slowly

Hi,

I was prescribed 50mg of zoloft back in 2006 for PND and Anxiety... I have tried 3 times (at least) to come off it but have never been successful. I want to do this and I want to do it right so If I have been reading some posts on what others say but need some clarification on what will work best for me. I have read going down 10% but how do i do this with the tablets? I will be so grateful for some advice :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Desem,

Welcome to the forum.

You've done the right thing doing your research.

As you have already worked out, we recommend you taper no more than 10% of your existing dose at a time. Read why here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/300-important-topics-in-the-tapering-forum-and-faq/

You can find instructions on how to taper off Zoloft here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

I really wanted to know exactly how to measure that 10% so is that of the daily tablet or weekly amount taken if so how exactly would you do that off at 50mg tablet? sorry to ask so many questions I just really want to get this right this time :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Desem,

If you read on there are links to help you.

I'm not sure if you can get a liquid version of zoloft made up where you live?

If not, there are instructions on how to make your own tablets into liquid here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

I'd suggest that since your tablet is 50mg you make a 50ml liquid from one tablet, then your first taper amount would be 45ml per day.

You would hold on that for at least 4-6 weeks. Then if you're feeling okay you'd drop down to 40.5 ml per day(IE: 10% of your previous does, 45, is 4.5)...and so on.

Does that make sense?

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******