cinephile

Again, chemical imbalance is a myth. Stop the lies, please.

JackieDecides
On 6/2/2017 at 8:12 PM, Lilu said:

My dad still says, "But you're taking an antidepressant, how can you still be depressed?!!!"

this seems very important to me. how can we call them antidepressants, when they don't fix depression?  I know at the time I started with Paxil (30 years ago? more?) I had no idea the medical profession would be allowed to call something that if it wasn't proven to work. 

On 4/13/2018 at 11:03 AM, Altostrata said:

The drugs actually do have physiological effects, usually resulting in downregulation of particular neuroreceptors and widespread dysregulation of other hormonal systems, there being no difference between neurohormones and other hormones. (You might as well think of antidepressants as hormonal treatments like steroids.) The sales pitch is based on a phony theory of "chemical imbalance," but the drugs actually cause chemical imbalance, they do not correct it. 

the very heart of it

Ather

Please see Alto's response to this post.

Before prescribing medications, There should be Blood tests of all the major neurotransmitters, like a complete neurotransmitter profile, these tests are still not common and not available at many places and if they are then they are very expensive, they should be made common so a clear reference range in the general population comes out, doctors should prescribe after reading the data of different neurotransmitters and also listening to the patient very carefully, until this happens we cannot call it chemical imbalance.

Edited by ChessieCat

Altostrata
3 hours ago, Ather said:

Before prescribing medications, There should be Blood tests of all the major neurotransmitters, like a complete neurotransmitter profile, these tests are still not common and not available at many places and if they are then they are very expensive, they should be made common so a clear reference range in the general population comes out, doctors should prescribe after reading the data of different neurotransmitters and also listening to the patient very carefully, until this happens we cannot call it chemical imbalance.

These tests are not valid. There is no test to assess neurotransmitter status in the brain. There is no reference range.

"Chemical imbalance" has always been a hypothesis based on very little evidence, and was disproved long ago.