Cracked: Why Psychiatry is Doing More Harm Than Good

Gem

I saw this in the news recently. I haven't read it, but it looks interesting.

I like the author's view of emotional suffering as part of being human, rather than mental illness.

Here is some of the blurb:

"The everyday sufferings and setbacks of life are now ‘medicalised’ into illnesses that require treatment – usually with highly profitable drugs.

Psychological therapist James Davies uses his insider knowledge to illustrate for a general readership how psychiatry has put riches and medical status above patients’ well-being."

http://jamesdaviesauthor.com/books/cracked/

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

I saw this in the news recently. I haven't read it, but it looks interesting.

I like the author's view of emotional suffering as part of being human, rather than mental illness.

Here is some of the blurb:

"The everyday sufferings and setbacks of life are now ‘medicalised’ into illnesses that require treatment – usually with highly profitable drugs.

Psychological therapist James Davies uses his insider knowledge to illustrate for a general readership how psychiatry has put riches and medical status above patients’ well-being."

http://jamesdaviesauthor.com/books/cracked/

Hi Gem,

This sounds like a great book but unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be coming up on the US amazon site. Hopefully, the UK site will let me download a sample to my KIndle and also buy it if I am interested.

I don't doubt that many psychiatrists are greatly motivated my money. But there are others who simply are threatened by the loss of the status quo as it is too threatening to them to think that everything they have been taught is not correct. It is easier to stay in denial.

CS

PS - Nope, can't download it. But there seem to be several online sites the book can be purchased from if people are interested.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

The title is somewhat different for the U.S. version, but you can preorder it from Amazon:

Cracked: The Unhappy Truth About Psychiatry

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

The title is somewhat different for the U.S. version, but you can preorder it from Amazon:

Cracked: The Unhappy Truth About Psychiatry

Thanks Jemima for finding that out.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Hi Compsports,

Yes easier and also weaker to remain in denial.

Thanks Jemima for finding the US version.

Gem

I came off Seroxat in August 2005 after a 4 month taper. I was initially prescibed a benzo for several months and then Prozac for 5 years and after that, Seroxat for 3 years and 9 months.

"It's like in the great stories Mr.Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer."  Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy