Burnedbypills: terrible remeron withdrawal

burnedbypills

I have been off benzos for 33 months. I still have a very sensitive nervous system. I was doing better until about three months ago. Then I started getting very sick again. I feel like I am back in acute withdrawal. I could not figure out what was wrong with me. I finally realized it was the low dose of remeron I was taking making me sick. I have taken remeron for 16 years. Why after all this time would remeron quit working for me? I just got done with benzo withdrawal hell now I am in remeron hell. I am currently taking 3.75 mg of remeron. I can't eat or sleep. I am burning up and feel like I am about to rip out of my skin. I need to get stabilized. If my body is rejecting 3.75 won't it just reject any dose? If I go up to 7.5 will I be able to stabilize?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• burnedbypills

• Altostrata

• Iggy131313

• Angel7366

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been off benzos for 33 months. I still have a very sensitive nervous system. I was doing better until about three months ago. Then I started getting very sick again. I feel like I am back in acute withdrawal. I could not figure out what was wrong with me. I finally realized it was the low dose of remeron I was taking making me sick. I have taken remeron for 16 years. Why after all this time would remeron quit working for me? I just got done with benzo withdrawal hell now I am in remeron hell. I am currently taking 3.75 mg of remeron. I can't eat or sleep. I am burning up and feel like I am about to rip out of my skin. I need to get stabilized. If my body is rejecting 3.75 won't it just reject any dose? If I go up to 7.5 will I be able to stabilize?

Hi Burnedbypills,

When I was on a psych med cocktail which included Remeron for sleep, it quit working for me as a sleep aide after several years on it. I was forced to add Doxepin because I was desperate. Now, as an FYI, I may have been experiencing a worsening of my sleep apnea which I diagnosed with at the end of 2011. But I did want want to share that experience.

It is really hard to say what is going on with you. I have never taken Benzos but I know they can cause alot of chaos to your system.

Did you intend to taper off of Remeron or stay on it? If you intend to stay on it, it might be worth trying to go up to 7.5.

Hang in there.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I need to get off of remeron. But I need to get stable so then I can do a taper. I just can't believe at how quickly remeron withdrawal has destroyed me. I can hardly eat. Have lost 20 lbs in one month. I can't sleep. Maybe 6 hrs of sleep in the past week. So tired. I am getting desperate. I will have to increase my dosage. But will it even work? Anyone else experience horrific withdrawals from this nasty drug?

Alto will probably be along soon. It sounds as though they pooped out on you and you are having an adverse reaction. You need to get off them.

You got away with it for 16 years! Mine pooped out after 6 weeks

2003 - Sept. 2010 Effexor 150mg Fast taper off

April 2011 Massive panic attack, did not relate it to Effexor w/ds

April 2011 - May 2012 Benzodiazapines (Xanax 2mg then Valium 22mg - 2mg)for panic attack. 14 months of benzo withdrawals

April 2011 - October 2012 Effexor 150mg - fast taper off

January 2013 Due to panic feelings (Effexor w/d I now believe) and insomnia, 15mg Mirtazapine prescribed

April 2013 C/T Mirtazapine because of adverse reaction of high anxiety

April 2013 Reinstated 7.5mg - adverse reaction of high blood pressure and palpitations

May 2013 Reduced dose to 6.5mg - trying to stabilise

• Moderator Emeritus

It seems that when Remeron - or any other antidepressant - stops working, there's nothing to be done except tapering off of it, stable or not. I wish there were a way to make it more comfortable, but to my knowledge there isn't. Here are some tips on tapering off Remeron:

Tips for Tapering Off Remeron

You might also want to browse the Symptoms and self-care section for drug-free ways to feel better: Symptoms and self-care. Have you tried Melatonin for sleep? I use a sublingual type and one to two milligrams usually work within five or ten minutes.

Welcome to the forum. There are several people here who are tapering off Remeron including one of the moderators. It's a really nasty drug, but you'll find solid information and friendly support here throughout your taper.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Welcome, Burned. Were you on 7mg? How did you get to 3.5mg?

About 3 months ago, did you start taking another medication or make some other change?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I am wondering why I am in such bad shape. I mean is it normal? At this time I have to force feed myself. I can't sleep at all. If i can't stabilize I will end up in the hospital. That means I will be given more drugs. I am terrified of taking any more drugs. I think I will have to up dose to get myself somewhat able to function. My mother came by my house today and was shocked at how I looked. She started to cry. I think I will try 7.5 tonight. up from 3.75. I know it seems a lot but I am desperate. Thanks for the replies.

• Administrator

You don't have to jump to 7mg or 7.5mg. You can try 4mg or 4.5mg.

It sounds like you are having withdrawal symptoms from Remeron. Making big jumps either way is not a good idea when one has been sensitized as you have.

You are probably right that they won't know how to help you at the hospital other than give you more drugs.

How did you taper the benzo?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Three months ago I was on 3.75. I started getting sick and thought it was just a bad wave of my benzo withdrawal. However, I sensed over time this was different. I feel like I am in acute withdrawal. Very sick. I have been on 3.75 for the past 33 months. I guess 3.75 just isn't effective any more. I plan on trying 7.5 starting tonight. I need to get my symptoms under control. Thanks

• Administrator

If I were you, I would not assume it's Remeron withdrawal, and I definitely would NOT make that big jump to 7.5mg.

It sounds like something might have set off either an adverse reaction to Remeron or triggered benzo withdrawal.

Please answer my questions up above.

I didn't taper of the benzos. I was detoxed and just rode it out. Bad idea. But at 33 months off it is what it is. I can only dry cut at the moment. It might be hard for me to dry cut 4.5mg. I just need to get stable and then I will taper. thanks

No changes 3 months ago. The only medication I take is remeron. Have been at 3.75 through out my benzo withdrawal

After reading all the great information on this website I have decided to try and stabilize at 3.75. Does anyone think this is the right choice to make? I don't want to go up any higher and prolong the misery.

• Moderator Emeritus

If I were you, I would not assume it's Remeron withdrawal, and I definitely would NOT make that big jump to 7.5mg.

It sounds like something might have set off either an adverse reaction to Remeron or triggered benzo withdrawal.

Please answer my questions up above.

I also think you may not want to assume it's Remeron withdrawal. People who have CT'd off benzos and gone through rough withdrawal like you have done, often have a few more ups and downs to go through even after they think it's stopped. It's typical of benzo withdrawal to come back after you thought it was done. Especially if there are any life changes or stress, even good stress. Or sometimes people just can't figure out what triggered the worsening.

This is not to say there is NOT a problem with the Remeron, just that it could still be benzo withdrawal.

Can you put your med history in your sig line?

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thank you for the responses. I'm confused. Can my benzo withdrawal really come back so horrific at 33 months off? I feel like I did at the beginning. My cold turkey was at 9mg of Klonopin. A very high dose. equal to around 180mg of valium. At 30 months off I was still unwell but starting to function. Now at 33 months I am very sick. I spend all my time trying to figure out if I am benzo sick or if I am in remeron withdrawal. I took remeron for 16 years at varying doses. But only 3.75 for the duration of my benzo withdrawal. My question. After having no problem with remeron for 16 years why would I develop a problem with it in the last three months? Do both remeron and benzo withdrawal have the same symptoms or is there a way to tell one withdrawal from another? It is the incredible insomnia and high agitation that makes me think it is remeron withdrawal. I literally cannot sleep at all. Maybe 10 hours in the past week. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

How are you feeling today Burned? Did you get any sleep?

It's very easy to make a liquid so you can get an accurate dose - there is a taper section on this board but as I am on Mirtazapine (Remeron) too, I got my doctor to prescribe Soltabs which are the dissolvable version. I bought some oral syringes from the pharmacy - I am using a 10ml one as I am trying to stabilise on 6.5 ml Mirtazapine. I put 2 x 15mg soltab tablets in a screw top jar, add 30ml (3 10ml syringe fulls) of water and shake it up. Then I draw out with the oral syringe 6.5ml and put the rest back in the fridge - I get 3 days uses out of it then throw the rest of the liquid away and start again.

I have also found that the regular pills (not Soltab) also dissolve fully in water if you leave it a little while.

It's probably easier and more accurate than cutting.

Hope this helps.

Angel

April 2011 - May 2012 Benzodiazapines (Xanax 2mg then Valium 22mg - 2mg)for panic attack. 14 months of benzo withdrawals

January 2013 Due to panic feelings (Effexor w/d I now believe) and insomnia, 15mg Mirtazapine prescribed

April 2013 Reinstated 7.5mg - adverse reaction of high blood pressure and palpitations

The shock of going through another drug withdrawal after the benzo hellish nightmare is unbearable.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Burned

I'm a fellow remeron user. I've read your story. It sounds like you've been on 3.75mg for a long time. What makes you feel like its withdrawal. This usually only happens with a dose reduction and I can't see where you have made any changes to your dose.

Please don't updose to 7.5. If the remeron has pooped out, it's pooped out. That happened to me. Remeron is more sedating at lower levels rather than higher levels so going up is unlikely to help.

I am very sorry you are going through this

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

No changes 3 months ago. The only medication I take is remeron.

What about vitamins or supplements? For some of us, sensitivity to supplements, even those we have taken successfully for a while, can bring on worsening symptoms.

I really feel awful. Like death. I am at 3.75mg. Would increasing even a little help with my symptoms?

• Administrator

We are trained to believe that when you have a symptom, add more drugs, but this is bad advice when you have hypersensitivity to drugs or have withdrawal symptoms.

No one knows if increasing or decreasing would reduce your symptoms. Benzo withdrawal syndrome might be involved, as Rhi said. In that case, you probably don't want to rock the boat.

Whatever you do, make very, very small changes, perhaps .5mg one way or the other. Give it 4-7 days to see if it helped or not.

I went up in dose from 3.75 to 4.00. Noway will I EVER go up anymore. I just need to see if I can get any relief. I just feel like I am getting worse. This just doesn't seem like benzo withdrawal. They are very alike but this to me really seams like remeron withdrawal. Today I am getting brain zaps. I am burning up and got the muscle jerking. I wish I could stabilize. Anyone else ever go through benzo withdrawal right into anti-depressant withdrawal? It is cruel and feels so unfair. I feel like my temperature is 108. Of course its not. I am not sure I can do this. Once in a lifetime is enough.

Another question. When we are trying to stabilize shouldn't we feel some relief because we are still actually taking some of the medication? I know it takes time to stabilize. But i still have medication in my system to ease withdrawal. Why does it feel like cold turkey when in fact it is not? Thank you.

Please help! Could someone please advise me. Going up from 3.75 to 4.00 just increased my anxiety way high. I am pacing back and forth. Can't sleep at all. Hands shaking. 3.75 was toxic to me also. If the drug at any level feels toxic what am I suppose to do? I don't want to keep changing the dose. I am becoming manic at these doses. Why would this drug being doing this to me after all these years on it. Can I just come off the remeron fast because at a low dose it is making me sick? It is giving me fits of rage. The drug has clearly turned on me. I think I need of of it fast. Please give your expert opinion Alto. Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Burned,

I am so sorry you're going through this. I'm literally wringing my hands on your behalf after reading your story.

I so wish I could tell you what to do. It sounds like your CNS is so compromised that even a slight change in dosage (up or down)is going to rock the boat.

As it's been previously mentioned, a change in dosage doesn't necessarily bring instant relief - and going up too much can cause withdrawal symptoms to worsen. I learned this the hard way.

The only way around this is through this - with time and patience.

I get the feeling it's the benzo withdrawal symptoms returning that are the culprit - BUT I am by no means an expert in these matters.

Please just know that I am thinking of you.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

thanks for the reply basildev. I really wish I had known withdrawal form remeron was awful. I would have tapered it while I was still on klonopin. I was told to get off the benzo and then taper the remeron. I am in bad shape. I can't stop vomiting. The guilt and depression for being in this position is to much to bear. 33months of benzo withdrawal and to be put right back to the beginning is just to much. I lost so much going through benzo withdrawal. I feel like a fool. I just wasted 33 months of unbelievable suffering because of a small dose of remeron. There isn't anything that can be done for me. A long slow taper? Really? After what I just went through? Just for a small piece of remeron for sleep. Sad day. Can it really be this bad? What a nightmare. My arms and legs are jerking so bad. I can't get up. Can't walk. Can't eat. Even my head has started jerking. Thanks for listening anyone.

I'm just wondering and honestly I may be totally wrong but could you be suffering from serotonin syndrome in which you have to stop the Remeron immediately - and the symptoms should ease.

I hope the mods don't mind me offering an opinion and I am sure they will put me right.

I am going through Remeron w/ds and they are nasty but nothing like you describe, constant with high fever and I am getting windows and waves. I also didn't know they can cause such violent jerks. I may be wrong.

So very sorry you are suffering so bad but I am sure you will get it sorted.

Angel

Hi , no this is not serotonin syndrome, to get serotonin syndrome you have to be on a VERY VERY high level of serotonin ramping drugs and usually a combination of drugs...also if you had serotonin syndrome you would be in hospital, please dont worry about that...

angel, dont mean to cause any offense with correcting this statement, I know you rae trying to help and offer suggestions, but no, not possible...gladly!

BBP - Please do not abuptly stop the remeron now, that small dose is not causing serotonin syndrome it is simply not possible and taking such drastic action could lead to a worstening of your symptoms...

personally, I belive that your benzo w/d has hit a very bad wave, but I could be totally wrong

damaged by citalopram - severe suffering for 3 years now...no improvement

akathsiia, pgad, dp/dr, terror, and so SO many more daily

severly disabled and lost everything

also I wanted to add that I have read many benzo withdrawal recovery stories that speak of an almighty wave before complete healing, its certainly a possibility that this had not been caused by the rememeron, we will never know for sure, but it could be that you hit a very bad benzo wave and then changed the med causing further disruption to your cns...hold steady and see how you are in a month or 2. thinking of you

oh and by the way, I am in acute ssri withdrawal and have all the symptoms you speak of and many MANY more

I just wanted to check BBP - have you been on any other ADs? at any time?

Iggy. I am sorry but I disagree. This looks more than a bad wave. No decreases were made. I think it is a possibility. But neither of us are qualified to say . Let's wait for Alto.

agreed, alto will clarify, but for SURE it is NOT serotonin syndrome.

not arguing at all, just dont want BBP to think she has a life threatening illness (serotonin syndrome) when it is impossible on such a low amount of remeron.

I am experiencing all the symptoms BBP is having, its classic AD withdrawal (neurotoxic) stuff, I assumed benzo withdrawal could have the same manifestations, but Im certainly no expert but I can say 100% this is not SS its simply not possible.

thinking of both of you and hoping you both see relief soon. xx (oh and me too please God)

Thanks for the concern. You are wonderful people. Iggy you say you have many of my symptoms. How bad is it for you? I am bedridden 20hrs a day. I have to force feed myself. Food actually makes me sick. I can't think and have utter confusion. Just typing on the computer is incredibly difficult. I also have incredible pain in my legs. Like they are being twisted and broken. I am sweating around the clock. My weight loss is shocking. I wish it just was a bad benzo wave. I have had many but this seems like it is killing me. The really bad stuff has been going on for 7 weeks. 7 weeks ago I was sick but maintained weight , was sleeping somewhat fine, and was functional. In 7 short weeks I have just gone downhill. Very scared. Iggy you say some benzo suffers had very bad waves a long way out. How bad were these waves? Also, can you describe what your symptoms are now and your quality of life. Thank you

Hi bbp - please do not compare yourself to me, I CTed 20mg celexa and then have had a very severe adverse reaction when trying to take it again, I am bedridden and have been for 10months...you will heal soon im sure. hang on in there. x

• Administrator

We are trained to believe that when you have a symptom, add more drugs, but this is bad advice when you have hypersensitivity to drugs or have withdrawal symptoms.

No one knows if increasing or decreasing would reduce your symptoms. Benzo withdrawal syndrome might be involved, as Rhi said. In that case, you probably don't want to rock the boat.

Whatever you do, make very, very small changes, perhaps .5mg one way or the other. Give it 4-7 days to see if it helped or not.

I went up in dose from 3.75 to 4.00. Noway will I EVER go up anymore. I just need to see if I can get any relief. I just feel like I am getting worse. This just doesn't seem like benzo withdrawal. They are very alike but this to me really seams like remeron withdrawal. Today I am getting brain zaps. I am burning up and got the muscle jerking. I wish I could stabilize. Anyone else ever go through benzo withdrawal right into anti-depressant withdrawal? It is cruel and feels so unfair. I feel like my temperature is 108. Of course its not. I am not sure I can do this. Once in a lifetime is enough.

Well, now you know. Increasing was a BAD idea.

The other 3 options are decrease, stay the same, or quit. Which do you think is most likely to reduce your symptoms?

• Moderator Emeritus

BBP - please don't be angry with yourself over this.

You are not a 'fool' - you were simply fooled by the pharma industry, as we all were.

Please do take Alto's advice.

I know you just want to make it go away, but multiple changes in dosage and going up too much will only make matters worse.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******