SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

TED Talk: Thomas Insel

Finn

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

scary stuff...more reductive BS, i.e. he's working towards making the criteria definition for diagnosis of mental distress to be all biologically based on genetics, scans and other kinds of testing without reference to anything involved outside the patient’s body....this is a dangerous direction as it's going even more hard core into bio-psych.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

scary stuff...more reductive BS, i.e. he's working towards making the criteria definition for diagnosis of mental distress to be all biologically based on genetics, scans and other kinds of testing without reference to anything involved outside the patient’s body....this is a dangerous direction as it's going even more hard core into bio-psych.

That is what I feared GiaK. That is why I never was excited when it seemed he was renouncing the DSM.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

oh the shake up and discrediting the DSM is good...even if his motives weren't....it's making EVERYONE think about it!!

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

oh the shake up and discrediting the DSM is good...even if his motives weren't....it's making EVERYONE think about it!!

Good point!

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

I was taken aback by that.

They must realize that other factors influence all these brain disorders, or else they wouldn't always use schizophrenia as an example of how the brain isn't functioning "right." We can assume depression is amongst the most common, so why not use that as an example because it would allow must people to relate? Schizophrenia seems like the most likely candidate for "brain disorder," at least in some cases, and they know this so it is their go to condition to get their point across. But there's also many differing theories of the biological precursors of schizophrenia--the virus during pregnancy programming the immune system to fight itself, over-pruning of the neural connections in the prefrontal cortex, for example. They could all have some influence, but it doesn't mean we have got their treatment anywhere near figured out. That's my main objection to his model.

Is his information about the grey matter in people who develop schizophrenia being less than controls true always? Do some people with the "disorder" have normal brain mass (pre-treatment); do some people who don't develop it have less matter? Or is this grey matter example them looking for anything that will even remotely support their case?

Also, are we to believe we should scan the brain of every young person (because since behavior is the last outward sign, we can't possibly have any hint as to who is most at risk)? How will we prevent self-fulfilling prophecies at this point? What would the treatment for less grey matter as a risk factor be? Anti-psychotics, which reduce brain matter further?

I think we should understand the biological side of these "disorders." But we need to get serious about what really helps people recover from these states.

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

I know hundreds of so-called schizophrenics who've recovered and are thriving in spite of psychiatric care not because of it...all mental distress is spectrum related and all of it can and does respond to holistic natural care...

I cannot speak for every single individual but I know far too many people who began to thrive only after they shed psychiatric treatment...

I've got a collection of such stories here too: Psychosis recovery

• Administrator

Insel will spend millions of government dollars trying to prove his thesis. Will anything come of it? Doubtful.

Won't be the first time millions have been spent on a wild goose chase.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy