Altostrata

Tips for tapering off stomach acid blockers or PPIs (esomeprazole, lansoprazole, omeprazole)

Damianamae

I successfully tapered off of Lansoprazole 30mg after taking it for 9 years a year or so ago because it caused me to have low iron. This is the system that I came up with (with my doctor's support) because I was terrified of rebound acid. Each week, I dropped one daily dose to 15mg and held for 3-4 weeks because I'd read that it takes 3 weeks for your body to realize that it doesn't have to produce as much acid. I tried to keep the days spaced out. Example, first day I dropped was Saturday. After three weeks, I dropped Tuesday as well. Etc. Once I got down to 15mg each day, I started the same thing with just not taking a pill one day a week. Then I started putting more and more days between them. I can't remember how many days between I was doing before I stopped entirely. I found that the rebound acid was worst on the day after the drop. To combat that, I used Gaviscon. 

I still need to use Gaviscon periodically, but it's nothing like when I was maxing out the daily dosage every single day thanks to work stress. 

Altostrata

Hi, Damianamae. Do you mean you skipped doses of lansoprazole?

Damianamae

I guess that’s what if amounts to, yes. I had read that there was powder inside so I didn’t want to open them up and I had no other idea of how to do it to help my body adjust.

I can delete my post if it’s seen as misleading to the other methods.

Altostrata

We just need a little more detail. How many capsules were you taking per day, at what dosage?

Damianamae

I started off taking a 30mg capsule once daily. When I was taking 15mg, they were also single capsules once daily.

JackieDecides

this reminds me my supposed taper of Omeprozole is stalled.

I started taking 2 pills a day and still take 1.5 a day months later but now I need 1 Ranitidine a day, almost always. so I've switched half an Ompeprazole for one Ranitidine, am I any better off?