Tips for tapering off stomach acid blockers or PPIs (esomeprazole, lansoprazole, omeprazole)

Altostrata

I successfully tapered off of Lansoprazole 30mg after taking it for 9 years a year or so ago because it caused me to have low iron. This is the system that I came up with (with my doctor's support) because I was terrified of rebound acid. Each week, I dropped one daily dose to 15mg and held for 3-4 weeks because I'd read that it takes 3 weeks for your body to realize that it doesn't have to produce as much acid. I tried to keep the days spaced out. Example, first day I dropped was Saturday. After three weeks, I dropped Tuesday as well. Etc. Once I got down to 15mg each day, I started the same thing with just not taking a pill one day a week. Then I started putting more and more days between them. I can't remember how many days between I was doing before I stopped entirely. I found that the rebound acid was worst on the day after the drop. To combat that, I used Gaviscon. 

I still need to use Gaviscon periodically, but it's nothing like when I was maxing out the daily dosage every single day thanks to work stress. 

1994 - Prozac for 3 weeks, then Zoloft until 1997

2000 - Celexa for 3 days, then Luvox until 2002ish?

2001 - Risperdal for 4 months - Started Buspar around here, until 2003 maybe

2004 - Clonazepam

2005 - 2007 Paxil

2011 - Buspar again until 2016 or 2017

2011 - 2014 - Cipralex

2013 - Added Wellbutrin. Stable on 300mg Wellbutrin XL until Nov 2018 when shortages caused me to switch generics

Jan 30, 2019 - Beginning taper by first switching to 150mg SR twice a day. Taking Ativan periodically since November after not taking it for years

supplements: 2016 iron pills, 2017 2000IU Vit D, 250mg Magnesium, 300mg B2, Omegas all twice a day

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Altostrata

• Frogie

• btdt

• LexAnger

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Hi, Damianamae. Do you mean you skipped doses of lansoprazole?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I guess that’s what if amounts to, yes. I had read that there was powder inside so I didn’t want to open them up and I had no other idea of how to do it to help my body adjust.

I can delete my post if it’s seen as misleading to the other methods.

2004 - Clonazepam

2005 - 2007 Paxil

2011 - 2014 - Cipralex

2013 - Added Wellbutrin. Stable on 300mg Wellbutrin XL until Nov 2018 when shortages caused me to switch generics

Jan 30, 2019 - Beginning taper by first switching to 150mg SR twice a day. Taking Ativan periodically since November after not taking it for years

supplements: 2016 iron pills, 2017 2000IU Vit D, 250mg Magnesium, 300mg B2, Omegas all twice a day

• Administrator

We just need a little more detail. How many capsules were you taking per day, at what dosage?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I started off taking a 30mg capsule once daily. When I was taking 15mg, they were also single capsules once daily.

2004 - Clonazepam

2005 - 2007 Paxil

2011 - 2014 - Cipralex

JackieDecides

this reminds me my supposed taper of Omeprozole is stalled.

I started taking 2 pills a day and still take 1.5 a day months later but now I need 1 Ranitidine a day, almost always. so I've switched half an Ompeprazole for one Ranitidine, am I any better off? 

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years. 

• 1 year later...

Preparing to tapper PPI, but unsuccessful 

I made a mistake by slipping a dose and adding betaine. 

I felt anxious, now I feel as if I was smoking cigarettes!!! Kind of burning... 

- 30.09.2020- reduced doxepin to 125mg, 16.10.2020- 100mg, 6.11.2020- 75mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long terms of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

• Administrator
Altostrata
2 hours ago, ikam said:

Preparing to tapper PPI, but unsuccessful 

I made a mistake by slipping a dose and adding betaine. 

I felt anxious, now I feel as if I was smoking cigarettes!!! Kind of burning... 

Having read this topic from the beginning, what do you think you should do now?

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Having read this topic from the beginning, what do you think you should do now?

I need to tapper slowly, I think I will be opening the pills and count the beads... 

I have been on PPI for years, I want to stop. They caused me iron deficiency, anemia in the past... 

I am sure they have a bad impact on other aspects of my health... 

I was surprised last night with the symptoms I had, it felt like a short term WD... I had problems with severe sweating and generally I was waking up constantly... 

During the day, I had some strange excitation and anxiety... 

All this happened after skipping just one dose and adding betaine... 

I am unsure why I am so sensitive to betaine... I cannot also tolerate cider vinegar... 

I have been following a sensible diet, I have my bed risen, I have supplements, such as probiotics... 

I also noticed that I cannot eat a lot of things as I get severe nausea, I read that this may relate to being unable to digest as there is not enough acid in my stomach... 

I will wait few days now to stabilise and restart tappering really carefully... 

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

• Administrator
Altostrata

Please read the information we give you and use your common sense.

15 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Please read the information we give you and use your common sense.

Thank you Alto. I will... It seems that I am really sensitive to smallest changes in my protocol... Years of being medicated... 

ChessieCat
5 hours ago, ikam said:

It seems that I am really sensitive to smallest changes in my protocol

Please remember to only make one change at a time and if trying something new to start with a small test dose to see how you respond.  And it's also a good idea to do some research about it here (I use a search engine and add site: surviving antidepressants.org to my search term) and check for side effects and interactions at drugs.com

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable

Edited by ChessieCat

NEW!!!              INTERVIEW with Altostrata, SA's founder               NEW!!! 

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering Oct 2015  Current from 14 Nov 2020:  Pristiq 0.50 mg

My tapering program                                      My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

REMINDER TO SELF:  I don't need the drug now, but my still brain does.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy