Disrupted ‘brain clock’ is linked to depression in new study

compsports

A big fat sigh to another one of these BS articles:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/disrupted-brain-clock-is-linked-to-depression-in-new-study/2013/05/20/90802c24-be65-11e2-9b09-1638acc3942e_singlePage.html?tid=obnetwork

I was struck by this exert:

""The sleep-cycle shift held in patients who had a diagnosis of major depression but who had not taken antidepressants, the researchers found, suggesting that it’s the disease and not the treatment that causes the circadian rhythm problems.""

Many things wrong with this study. Sample size of 35 was quite small. Also, how do we know that it wasn't insomnia that caused the depression and the disruptions in the circadian rhythm problems? Criteria used so specify depression was not indicated.

And if antidepressants didn't prevent the insomnia, that is not saying much for the drugs.

Sadly, people will see the headline and totally get the wrong impression.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Exactly.

Why would we even trust ANY studies anymore? Their 'favorable-to-Big-Pharm' outcomes are decided beforehand. So bogus.

As long as we drink the kool-aid, right?

Thanks for sharing. Knowledge is Power!

-Salted

10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac Jan. 2009-Nov. 2012

Went COLD TURKEY Nov. 2012-March 2013

.05-1 mg daily Lorazepam March 2013-April 2013

After approximately 21 days, stopped COLD TURKEY

Doctor put me on 20 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 4/25/13

I decided to jump down to 10 mg daily Fluoxetine/Prozac as of 5/08/13

Will stay here for a few months, then taper to ZERO!!

I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience and research and is only my perspective

It seems more likely to me that insomnia and depression would share a common cause than that insomnia would cause depression or vice versa.

I forget to an extent what depression is like. I was far more prone to anxiety adn neuroticism than depression, thouogh sometimes I did feel depressed. I think that depression is like anxiety in that it's very difficult for people not prone to it to really understand it.

In spite of 15 years on antidepressants, diagnosed with major depressive disorder, I don't think I have a good understanding of how bad a depression can feel. My anxiety problems, which got much worse on SSRIs, were very debiliating and in ways people just couldn't understand. I still find myself forgetful of the fact that many people took antidepressants to cope with depression and not anxiety or fibro or whatever... Defintely my w/d experience has featured insomnia/anxiety much more than actual depression. I get more exhausted than depressed. And when I do feel hopeless it doesn't actually feel that bad, it's a good relief from the panic of "I'll never get well!!!1!HELP"

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

EVERYTHING is related to depression -- because for the most part, depression is an extremely vague diagnosis.

For sure, good sleep contributes to feeling good all the way around.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I don't think it is far-fetched to say depression is related to trouble falling or staying asleep in some people. During one of my previous bad depressive episodes (one that I came out of stronger, without any drugs) when I was like 18, I would wake up in the middle of the night very restless, bored and unable to find rest. In general, antidepressants have messed with my sleep far worse than depression.

Sometimes, I read studies and contemplate who wasted money funding this nonsense...

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

I don't think it is far-fetched to say depression is related to trouble falling or staying asleep in some people. During one of my previous bad depressive episodes (one that I came out of stronger, without any drugs) when I was like 18, I would wake up in the middle of the night very restless, bored and unable to find rest. In general, antidepressants have messed with my sleep far worse than depression.

Sometimes, I read studies and contemplate who wasted money funding this nonsense...

I suppose the question would be why do people have trouble sleeping?

It's more coceivable to me that the cause of insomnia and the cause of depression are the same, whatever that cause is. Some propose inflammation, others infectious causes or both or some other mechanism. I've had first hand experience with toxic exposure causing insomnia so I'm open to that being a more common cause.

I do agree that antidepressants have had the most profoundly negative impact on sleep of anything I have experienced. Again I am not sure why this is, it could be related to some effect on some other mechanism as much as a direct effect of the antidepressants since there seems so great a diversity in responses to these drugs...

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

It's more coceivable to me that the cause of insomnia and the cause of depression are the same, whatever that cause is. Some propose inflammation, others infectious causes or both or some other mechanism

In the case I mentioned above, the underlying cause of the depression and insomnia was extreme emotional distress, caused by life stressors and trauma.

Depression certainly isn't the only reason I have trouble with sleep at times. I literally will wake up sometimes because my blood sugar is too low. I will have to eat something if I want to fall back to sleep. Hypoglycemia/ diabetes/ hormonal issues can contribute both sleep disturbances and depression.

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

• 5 weeks later...

When I had a major depression in my late 20's, I did the wake up early thing just like the cortisol wake up calls of withdrawal. That was as it was getting bad, it followed the sleep-so-much stage.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Just  a note...I am a person who has never had to use an alarm clock or anything like that, have always been able to wake up exactly when I needed to naturally, until I was on the Pristiq, and then it was like my natural body clock just 'turned off'.  Since going off the Pristiq, it is working again.  Interesting to find this topic here.

Pristiq August 2012 till April 2012.  

Quit cold turkey.  Severe withdrawal, suffered through till June. Wellbutrin 150 mg  2 weeks,  and Klonopin .5 as needed, with target of no meds as soon as stable.

Tapered Wellbutrin over 4-5 week period.

Last Wellbutrin (17mg) Aug 9

now taking only the occasional Klonopin, having adverse reactions.

• Moderator Emeritus

Some propose inflammation, others infectious causes or both or some other mechanism.

Perhaps it isn't a mechanism at all.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy