AussieNik - an intro

AussieNik

Hi All,

I have found this site just in time because I seriously started to think I was imagining the symptoms I was having. It is a long story as to why I didnt click that it was the meds making me ill, Ive presented to ED three times in the last 10 months, had a colonoscopy, endocopy and countless Dr's look at me as though im just a freak. No one made the link, I had a loads of stuff going on around me, I was on escitalopram for 3 yrs prior to Pristiq and because of my circumstances just didnt make that link. Boy do I feel stupid now and really wish I could get that year back. Year of our baby's life, first year of a new marriage etc etc. I know no point thinking that way but GOD I feel like an idiot, and I've been put through hell with my health.

I am a mum to 5 great kids, ranging from 14 yrs to 14months old, we are a blended family and both my husband and I work in health related feilds. We have our heads on our shoulders and I would consider ourselves clued in to the world and when I hit this site through searching why i was having "brain zaps" I was shocked to see that I was having all of the withdrawal symptoms that were listed evSo en though I am not withdrawing, and I was on (as of three days ago) the maximum dose of 200mg of desvenlafaxine (pristiq)....

I went to the Dr, to get some more advice and I am now weaning decreasing 50mg each week. I am not convinced the Dr knows what he is doing at all, he wants me to stop Pristiq all together and then start on lexapro with no cross over, that makes no sense to me and apart from the AWFUL withdrawing I am petrified i am going to bottom out.

I hope to use this site as my new found family and in turn when I am on the other side of all this crap help some other people through the same thing.So, let this journey begin.. :)

Luv Nik

200 mg Pristiq for ten months

Currently weaning from 200mg Desvenlafaxine to Lexapro 20mg

( Currently Day four of 150mg Desvenlafaxine )

History of depression, PND 1999 and Major depression related to Trauma 2009 20mg Escitalopram for 3 yrs.

Lorazapam as needed, Tamzapam as needed but reality is, I need to get back to basics to see what it is my body really needs.

The last 10 months of extreme side effects, nausea, PR bleeding, insomnia, sweats, upper gi discomfort due to NSAID use, general abdo discomfort, anxiety, paranoia, brain zaps oh and facial tingling - Thanks Pristiq - NOT!!!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nik,

Welcome to this site and thank you for posting in my thread. I'm fairly new here and wish I had found this place two years ago before I stopped taking Lexapro and messing around with other medication.

You are not an idiot :) the effects of these drugs isn't common knowledge and most doctors don't have a clue either. But you are here now and at the beginning of your taper, which is a good thing.

I'm sorry you have had a difficult year, not sure why exactly, because as you wrote, you weren't in withdrawal, but someone else with more experience should be along soon with some help and especially advise about tapering. Its very important to do it slowly.

You will get through this and be able to enjoy your lovely family again.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks Petu, I wish I knew why also, but sometimes it's better to just look forward then backward. All I know is that my symptoms are there, very real and hopefully not permanent and LET THE WEAN CONTINUE... today has been a bit up and down but as I finally get the kids into bed I can focus a little bit on me and relax. Phew.

History of depression, PND 1999 and Major depression related to Trauma 2009 20mg Escitalopram for 3 yrs.

Lorazapam as needed, Tamzapam as needed but reality is, I need to get back to basics to see what it is my body really needs.

The last 10 months of extreme side effects, nausea, PR bleeding, insomnia, sweats, upper gi discomfort due to NSAID use, general abdo discomfort, anxiety, paranoia, brain zaps oh and facial tingling - Thanks Pristiq - NOT!!!!!

Hi Nik

There is something we call 'poop out' which means you are on a full dose of medicine and having withdrawal symptoms. The medicine no longer works.

I have not taken Pristiq, however from knowing people who have and this site, the 50mgs. drop each week is very drastic and can bring on all of the symptoms you are experiencing.

These are two scenarios which are very common, so you are not alone.

There are alot of members who are very familiar with Pristiq who will be long shortly to help you out.

Sounds like you have a good life and a supportive spouse. Hang in there....advise is on it's way.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

AussieNik, this is from your post in the Pristiq thread http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/page__view__findpost__p__53297

Hi All,

I wanted to post in this thread as this is what got me completely hooked on the site, and I also wanted to say a MASSIVE thanks to all the people who have contributed to providing an excellent resource for consumers out there.

I'm currently day 4 of my taper from 200mg Pristiq.. i've been told to take 175mg, so 25% reduction. I am alarmed as from what i've read the symptoms probably wont hit me fully for two weeks yet, but my dr said next week, drop it another 25% to 150mg, then again in another week and so on until after a week of 50mg then alternate one day on one day off.... THEN start Lexapro.

Needless to say I am concerned. My biggest worry is that I have been having what you would all discribe as withdrawal symptoms without altering my dose at all, the brain zaps, terrible nausea, GI symptoms, sweats and numbness/tingling around my face.Then there are the pscyh symptoms, ie) anxiety/paranoia/somnolence... If I am having this now what is it going to be like in two weeks. Any advice you guys could offer would be great, I feel like I am bit out of my league, espcially as there is no easy way to taper accurately, with an enteric coated tablet that refuses to disolve, and with my sensitivity to drugs risking a dumping into my system seems completely illogical.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :)

200mg Pristiq is a ridiculously high dose. When you have a chance, I suggest you find another doctor and perhaps report yours for irresponsible prescribing.

Cutting up the Pristiq tablet is about the best you can do. If you get your prescription filled with 100mg tablet plus 2 50mg tablets, you can cut up the 50mg tablets into quarters to reduce by 12.5mg at a time.

Since you've gotten withdrawal symptoms going down from 200mg to 175mg, if I were you, I'd updose a bit to 187.5mg (100mg plus 50mg plus 3/4 of a 50mg tablet).

I'm sorry it's not easier for you. You will be able to taper off, it probably will mean smaller decrements than 25mg. Do NOT under any circumstances skip or alternate doses.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome AussieNik, it comes as a shock when the penny drops that it's the drug causing the problem, glad you found this site.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

Good Morning,

Well its actually a very wonky morning for me, i feel like im tripping! At least the kids are now at school and I can try and make sense of what is happening. I know Alto, 200mg, such a high dose. I had SO much going on in my life that I didn't even think to stop and question. I trusted my Dr, and I had a second opinion, PLUS all the ED dr's that missed the clues aswell. I am a big advocate for self directed health care, i wish I had of stopped and thought about putting it in my body but I did what I had to do at the time and that was survival mode and take care of the family first.

So I plan to stay on the 175mg until Saturday, reassess and if all is OK, then continue on 175mg for another week at the very least. I am about to reseach into the 'poop out' which might explain why my body has been having all this trouble.

Thanks for your posts. I find myself reaching for the laptop to read at least all the info on here. I dont always post, i struggle with anxiety a bit and feel nervous about what Im writing or what others will think. Im sure as I start to feel better I can participate more and offer something back. :)

Thanks for your presence though, it means alot. :blink:

Hi AussieNik,

You know, it seems that these drugs affect all of us very differently. I made the mistake of staying on Pristiq for years because I was so afraid of what would happen. I was affected by all the horror stories I read on this site and elsewhere. I didn't look at the facts that my own body was showing me. The fact that I could easily drop down from 100 mg of Pristiq, down to 50 and back up again when needed. And when I did try to taper Pristiq, due to the major warnings from everyone about not going cold turkey, I felt horrible. I was on a constant roller coaster of feeling awake and totally drowsy. So I quit cold turkey, AFTER AND WHILE TAKING LEXAPRO FOR A MONTH. But the Lexapro really did not offset the withdrawal. Thankfully, the withdrawal took only a week. And felt like the flu.

If the symptoms you are describing are actually side effects from being on such a high, and uncalled for dose of Pristiq, (there were clinical studies done that showed that Pristiq at doses over 50 mg is not any more effective), then you will probably start to feel much much better once the drug starts coming out of your system.

I felt immediately better after about 4 days of stopping Pristiq. I had long standing side effects while being on it, and they immediately disappeared. Seriously, like a magic wand. Pristiq actually gave me horrible psychomotor retardation ( extreme lethargy, apathy, fatigue), as well as urinary incontinence, and sudden insomnia after 3.5 years of use. These side effects continued while I was trying to "be good" and taper the Pristiq. But they were instantly wiped out, after a week of quitting cold turkey.

This is not a popular method on this site, but that was MY experience.

Now, it is possible that the Lexapro, (that I built up in my system after a month of taking both Pristiq 50 mg and Lexapro 10 mg) did help offset some depressive symptoms. But the week-long withdrawal felt just a little more intense than when I jumped from 100 mg to 50 mg of Pristiq in the past. Oddly enough, after having been on Lexapro for 2 months, and quitting after going down from 10mg to 5 mg, I am finding the withdrawal symptoms to be much worse than when I quit Pristiq after almost 4 years!

So the bottom line, my personal advice to you, is listen to your body, use your intuition, your gut feeling about what is best for you.

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
2009-3/2013: Switched to Pristiq 50 mg then 100 mg
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
8/2013-8/2014: Tapering Lexapro (Lots of withdrawal symptoms)
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.