LisasLove The Most Horrible Time Of My Life

LisasLove

I want to stay anonymous so I have chosen Lisa’s Love because without her I would have never made it as far as I have with my Sleep Apnea, Xanax addiction/withdrawal and SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome.  They say, three strikes and you are out but I am still here fighting with her help.  I have gone from the frying pan to the fire and then to hell it’s self. So I understand your pain and I pray for you all.

Reason for SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome

From July to August 2012 I was on 50 mg of Zoloft. The GP took me off of Zoloft without tapering, He said that Zoloft was not addicting and that I would not have any side effects.

Withdrawal Symptoms

Anxiety/Depression like symptoms, nervous, tinnitus, headache, low energy, insomnia, electric shock like sensations in the brain/eyes/body, muscle twitches, crying spells, suicidal and homicidal thoughts.

History of Doctors, Tests and Diagnoses

Two Psychologists, two Neurologists, two Psychiatrists, one Otolaryngologist, two MRI’s, two EEG’s and one MRA later I have been diagnosed with withdrawal effect from Zoloft by my Neurologist and with a Neurotoxic effect of SSRI's from not tapering Zoloft (SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome) by my Psychiatrist.

History of Medications

10 then 20 mg of Celexa for suicidal and homicidal thoughts recommended by my first Psychologist prescribed by my GP in Sept. 2012. Then Jan. 2013 the Celexa was increased by my first Psychiatrist from 20 to 30 then 40 mg. In April 2013 my second Neurologist started to taper the Celexa by 5 mg per month. However, in June my second Psychiatrist stopped the taper of Celexa and wants to hold at 30 mg until I am stable from my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft.

300 mg of Neurontin twice a day prescribed by my first Neurologist in Feb. 2013 for headaches and pain. Both my second Neurologist and Psychiatrist agree that this medication will be tapered lastly.

In April 2013, reinstated 50 mg of Zoloft prescribed by my second Neurologist to try and stabilize my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft. My second Neurologist asks me to seek a new Psychiatrist since my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft are not stable. In June 2013, the second Psychiatrist increased Zoloft to 75 then up to 100 mg to find a dose that will stabilize my withdrawal from Zoloft.

In August 2013, I now have a new MD who is trying to help me with the use of Supplements.

In September 2013, I have now completely tapered off of Neurontin and Zoloft with the help of my Psychiatrist. I have also started tapering Celexa at 2.5 mg per month. I am currently at 25 mg of Celexa.

All postings © copyrighted

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LisasLove

• Altostrata

• Meimeiquest

• Jemima

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that this site deals specifically with antidepressants but I want to tell my story of how I was introduced to SSRI’s. I was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea in late July 2012. For those of you that have been fighting insomnia, depression and/or anxiety well before you started or discontinued any SSRI type medications, I just wanted to let you know that insomnia, depression and anxiety can all be symptoms of Sleep Apnea. There are two types of Sleep Apnea (Obstructive and Central).  Sleep Apnea is sleep-disordered breathing (SDB), while Obstructive Sleep Apnea is caused when muscles in the back of your throat relax narrowing the airway, Central Sleep Apnea is caused by the failure of the brain to communicate with your breathing muscles. A person with Sleep Apnea can have Apneas and Hypopneas. An Apnea is a complete blockage of the airway where a Hypoapnea is a partial blockage of the airway. 

Most with Obstructive Sleep Apnea are never aware that they are having hypoapneas since they never really wake up from sleeping they are just pulled out of their deep sleep.  There are four stages of sleep (not counting drowsiness) in our 90 minute sleep cycle with REM being stage 4. During my sleep tests I never went into REM sleep when I slept on my back. Also, earlier in April of 2012 when I had visited the Hospital for chest and left arm pain. . The GP believed that I had a panic attack and it was related to stress at work.  However, when I was at the hospital I had a blood test and later when I asked for a copy of it I noticed that my Red Blood Cells were higher than normal. No one at the Hospital or the GP at my follow up appointment had discussed this with me.  High Red Blood Cells can be due to low levels of Oxygen in blood. By not breathing correctly while a sleep, Oxygen levels can decrease and Carbon Dioxide levels can increase. High levels of Carbon Dioxide in your blood can cause anxiety via an acid that is released into the part of the brain that controls fear. So basically with very little deep sleep and low levels of Oxygen in my blood I was in fight or flight mode. This along with stress at work had set my anxiety and insomnia to new levels.

From July to August 2012 I was on 50 mg of Zoloft. The GP took me off of Zoloft without tapering, He said that Zoloft was not addicting and that I would not have any side effects.

Withdrawal Symptoms

Anxiety/Depression like symptoms, nervous, tinnitus, headache, low energy, insomnia, electric shock like sensations in the brain/eyes/body, muscle twitches, crying spells, suicidal and homicidal thoughts.

Two Psychologists, two Neurologists, two Psychiatrists, one Otolaryngologist, two MRI’s, two EEG’s and one MRA later I have been diagnosed with withdrawal effect from Zoloft by my Neurologist and with a Neurotoxic effect of SSRI's from not tapering Zoloft (SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome) by my Psychiatrist.

History of Medications

10 then 20 mg of Celexa for suicidal and homicidal thoughts recommended by my first Psychologist prescribed by my GP in Sept. 2012. Then Jan. 2013 the Celexa was increased by my first Psychiatrist from 20 to 30 then 40 mg. In April 2013 my second Neurologist started to taper the Celexa by 5 mg per month. However, in June my second Psychiatrist stopped the taper of Celexa and wants to hold at 30 mg until I am stable from my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft.

300 mg of Neurontin twice a day prescribed by my first Neurologist in Feb. 2013 for headaches and pain. Both my second Neurologist and Psychiatrist agree that this medication will be tapered lastly.

In April 2013, reinstated 50 mg of Zoloft prescribed by my second Neurologist to try and stabilize my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft. My second Neurologist asks me to seek a new Psychiatrist since my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft are not stable. In June 2013, the second Psychiatrist increased Zoloft to 75 then up to 100 mg to find a dose that will stabilize my withdrawal from Zoloft.

In August 2013, I now have a new MD who is trying to help me with the use of Supplements.

In September 2013, I have now completely tapered off of Neurontin and Zoloft with the help of my Psychiatrist. I have also started tapering Celexa at 2.5 mg per month. I am currently at 25 mg of Celexa.

My life was also changed for the better with a sleep apnea diagnosis. I was also told a little adrenaline is secreted with each incidence, which adds to the fight or flight syndrome.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, LisasLove.  Would you tell us more about how your sleep apnea led to taking antidepressants?  And please put your drug history in the signature area of your profile when you have time, like so:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Of course when this terrible journey started I didn’t know that I have severe Sleep Apnea.  I had lost 30 lbs the year before and I was exercising two to three times a week. I was in the best shape I had been in over 15 years. When I was diagnosed I was just slightly overweight by maybe 5-10 lbs. I weighed 170 lbs with a height of 5’9”.  The Sleep Apnea Dr. during counseling was rude and made comments that he didn’t even think I had Obstructive Sleep Apnea (I just didn’t fit the description of someone with Sleep Apnea). The love of my life took care of that for me with tears in her eyes she requested a new Sleep Apnea Dr.

Flashing back to my April chest and left arm pain my GP thought my anxiety was due to my work stress so he treated my anxiety with Xanax. At the time I had no clue what this drug could do to you once you stopped taking it.  The withdrawal was worse than the original anxiety I was having. I won’t get into all the side effects but I didn’t sleep for weeks and weeks after I stopped Xanax cold turkey.  I thought to myself how could this be I was only taking 1 mg (the GP gave me a prescription of 1 mg every eight hour as needed) at night a couple of hours before sleep for four days a week for about six weeks. Later in Jan 2013 when I met with a Psychiatrist the she told me how addictive Xanax is and explained that my extreme sleeping problems were probably due to the Xanax addiction/withdrawals.

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

In the beginning of July 2012 with little to no sleep I had a major panic attack while on vacation (some vacation I was in my room the entire time trying to sleep).  I went to the local hospital and the ER Dr. prescribed me 5 mg of Valium and it helped me sleep a little (I only took the Valium for two days). The next day I went back home since I was sure I was going to die. The following day the GP prescribed me 50 mg of Zoloft, .50 to 1.25 mg of Xanax and 5-6.25 mg of Ambien.  The only thing that seemed to help me sleep was the Xanax since the Ambien would only let me sleep for a couple hours at most. At the end of July I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and Insomnia. The Sleep Apnea Dr. thought that Zoloft wasn’t the appropriate medication for me so he asked my GP to put me on Trazo-done. 

On my next follow up appointment the GP tells me to stop taking the Zoloft. I had just completely tapered off of my second prescription of Xanax and realized that my increased anxiety was created from the withdrawals of Xanax.  So I explained to the GP don’t I need to taper off of Zoloft and he said no you haven’t been on Zoloft that long. I said to him are you sure, I had horrible side effects from the withdrawal of Xanax.  He said that Zoloft was not addicting and that I would not have any side effects. 

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

Just to make sure I asked the Pharmacist if I needed to taper off of the Zoloft and she said that if I got dizzy to take a half dose.  Well I stopped Zoloft in early August 2012 but three days later my ears start ringing and I thought that I may have wax build up so I cleaned my ears but the ringing continued.  I call the GP and leave a message and he never calls me back so I leave another message and he calls me back a couple days later.  I ask him about the ringing in my ears he says that Trazo-done doesn’t cause ringing in the ears.  I never even thought to ask him about it being a side effect from Zoloft withdrawal because the GP told me there wouldn’t be any side effects.  I also started getting a strange pressure and electric type of headache.  My emotions were running wild and my anxiety got worse.  Things were getting so bad that I needed the help of a Psychologist. 

By mid August I am off of work on short-term disability and seeing a Psychologist for my insomnia and anxiety.  I am having such bad anxiety I think I am crazy and mentally ill even though I am taking 50 mg of Trazo-done. The first thing the Psychologist says to me is that I am not mentally ill.  This actually helped me a little emotionally and tells me to reduce my Trazo-done to 25 mg.  During therapy things were coming out of me that I was shocked to hear. None of this made sense my thoughts were different than my beliefs. This thinking was not me. I even ask the Psychologist about Zoloft and if it could be the reason of my headaches and ringing ears. He explained that if it was the Zoloft it would only last a couple weeks.

Throughout my therapy the Psychologist diagnosed me with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and later said that I had a Mid Life Crises and lastly he diagnosed me with Depression. It seemed like every three weeks he was changing his diagnoses of me. Once he had diagnosed me with Depression which was in late September 2012 he had me see the GP and he put me on 10-20 mg of Celexa. By that time I had tapered off of Trazo-done.

Even though I was on 20 mg of Celexa, I continued to have suicidal and homicidal thoughts. The homicidal thoughts got so bad that they turned into movies in my head that I could not control. I would just cry hysterically after the movie in my head ended. I withheld this information from my Psychologist because I feared that I would be committed to a hospital. However, the love of life sent my Psychologist an e-mail and asked him to ask me about the homicidal thoughts. I told him they were horrible and that I couldn’t talk about it. Finally, I broke down and cried my way through my movie like homicidal thoughts. At this point my Psychologist asked if there was mental illness in my family history. I explained to him that there wasn’t and he said that I need a Psychiatrist.

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

Has anyone reinstated Zoloft with success of subsiding the withdrawal side effects after being off Zoloft for over 10 months? If so what did you do? I have been off Zoloft for over 10 months and my Neurologist (finally someone that would listen to me about Zoloft withdrawal) put me back on Zoloft with a goal of tapering 10% per month. The original dosage was 50 mg so she put me on the original dosage to start but my side effects have not changed (among other things, electric shocks in my head/headaches, jerking type movement several times a day in my legs and tinnitus).

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

• Administrator

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3079-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/?hl=reinstatement

How long have you been taking 50mg Zoloft? Did your symptoms change at all when you reinstated?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I was originally taking 50 mg of Zoloft for only a little over a month but once I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea the GP took me off of it.  Several months later I was gradually put on 40 mg of Celexa for what they though was Depression (I know now it was the side effects of Zoloft withdrawal). I have now been on Celexa for eight months and Zoloft for just about two months. I have tapered from 40 mg of Celexa to 30 mg in the last two months. I have tapered from 50 mg of Zoloft  to 43.75 mg in the last month two months. However, my symptoms are still the same since I reinstated the Zoloft.

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

• Administrator

You are taking both Celexa and Zoloft?

Are you and your doctor planning to gradually reduce the Celexa so you're on Zoloft only?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

My Neurologist suggested I taper both at the same time.  However, since I haven't stabilized she has asked me to get another Psychiatrist to help guide her.

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LisasLove....welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you're having a bad time.

Alto has a lot of knowledge about these meds.

If you could add your history in the signature, it would help so much.

Link with instructions:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Thanks and I hope you feel better soon.

• Administrator

See the doctors listed in http://tinyurl.com/7cp8l8v One is in Pasadena.

Thank you Alto...I saw him yesterday.

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

• Administrator

Was he helpful?

Was he helpful?

He wants me to stabilize before there is any tapering.  He increased my Zoloft prescription to 75 mg for two weeks and then to 100 mg after that.

I hope this works this has been absolute hell...

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

• Administrator

I appreciate it that he's making the tough calls every doctor should be prepared to make to taper people safely off these drugs.

The Most Horrible Time Of My Life ...continued

In early January 2013, I went to see a Psychiatrist and she increased my dosage gradually from 20 mg to 30 mg and then 40 mg.  For the most part my suicidal and homicidal thoughts discontinued. The Psychiatrist explained to me how addicting Xanax is and she cringed when I told her that the GP gave me a prescription for 1 mg of Xanax three times a day.  She also told me that my extreme sleeping problems were due to the withdrawals from Xanax. After, she explained to me about Xanax withdrawals I decided to do some research about Xanax and I was amazed to find out that Xanax is more addicting than Opiates. I then decided to research Zoloft and found out that there was something called SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome. I found a manuscript and several articles about the topic;Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor discontinuation syndrome: proposed diagnostic criteria”, “Brain shivers’: from chat room to clinic” and “Bottled lightning”. I brought this research to my Psychiatrist and she said that if I had SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome that it wouldn’t last this long that it only lasts for a couple weeks.  She said that I probably still had anxiety and I explained to her I knew what anxiety is and this is not it.

After I learn how addicting Xanax is my Psychologist cancels a couple of my appointments with him and once we meet again he tells me that he doesn’t have time for me in his practice. I can’t believe that after we have built this relationship he basically fires me. I seek out a new Psychologist but after a couple sessions find out that he doesn’t know anything about sleep cognitive behavioral therapy so we decide to part our ways.

I go back to the Pharmacist with the information about SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome and asked her the same question I asked my Psychiatrist. She explained to me this would not last longer than a couple weeks and I had this over seven months now. Determined to find more research about the topic I found a manuscript, “Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor Discontinuation Syndrome: A Review” that explained that this syndrome had been seen to last up to 18 months.  With this new information the love of my life decided to contact USC Keck Hospital to see if they had a Neurologist that could help me.

The Neurologist had heard of SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome lasting longer than a couple weeks and said that she would help me. She put me back on 50 mg of Zoloft with a plan to taper the Zoloft by 6.25 mg per month and the Celexa by 5 mg per month. However, after 2 months of reinstating Zoloft, I had not stabilized. The Neurologist decided that I need the help of another Psychiatrist. Searching for a new Psychiatrist I ended up finding this website.

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

• Administrator

Yes, few doctors understand how psychiatric drugs create physical dependency and the consequent withdrawal problems.

I just reread my post sorry for all the typos (it was late last night).

It’s utterly horrifying how quick I became addicted to Xanax and the aftermath of psychosis from its withdrawal. From what I have read I should have never been put on antidepressants since they don’t help with Xanax withdrawal.

I have a question for those that have been able to keep their jobs through their withdrawal. How do I protect my employment and income through this? I have been able to hide a lot of these symptoms from my clients, co-workers and management by not being real active in the field. I am in sales and have a lot of recurring commissions so for the most part I have been able to survive financially. However, these recurring commissions will be ending soon and I won’t be able to work from home any longer hiding my symptoms. I have short and long term disability insurance but I hate being completely off of work since I feel like I am not protecting my job. I really fill like I am between a rock and a hard place. I don’t want lose everything that I have worked so hard for including my relationship.  I feel like I need a really good lawyer to protect my job and sue the doctor that put me through this hell. I also feel like I need a Psychologist that specifically works with withdrawal to coach me through this. Any information would be helpful. Thank you…

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

• Administrator

This is difficult. You need to decide if you cannot work. If you cannot work, that's what disability is for.

Other than whatever provisions your company has for medical leave, you may not be able to protect your job.

You may wish to speak to an attorney now.

I just reread my post sorry for all the typos (it was late last night).

It’s utterly horrifying how quick I became addicted to Xanax and the aftermath of psychosis from its withdrawal. From what I have read I should have never been put on antidepressants since they don’t help with Xanax withdrawal.

I have a question for those that have been able to keep their jobs through their withdrawal. How do I protect my employment and income through this? I have been able to hide a lot of these symptoms from my clients, co-workers and management by not being real active in the field. I am in sales and have a lot of recurring commissions so for the most part I have been able to survive financially. However, these recurring commissions will be ending soon and I won’t be able to work from home any longer hiding my symptoms. I have short and long term disability insurance but I hate being completely off of work since I feel like I am not protecting my job. I really fill like I am between a rock and a hard place. I don’t want lose everything that I have worked so hard for including my relationship.  I feel like I need a really good lawyer to protect my job and sue the doctor that put me through this hell. I also feel like I need a Psychologist that specifically works with withdrawal to coach me through this. Any information would be helpful. Thank you…

Thanks Alto...Anyone else want to comment?

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

Two weeks at 75 mg of Zoloft and I still haven't stabilized. Tomorrow, I will be upping my dose to 100 mg of Zoloft. I really hope this works my future depends on stabilizing. Its amazing how unmotivated this withdrawal makes you feel. I just sit here on the coach all day long. I was such a motivated person before all this.

I spoke to a client of mine over the phone today and he wasn't happy with me (he's not the first). He's a Psychologist and I wanted to tell him why I haven't been myself but I just tried to ignore his comments and change the subject of why I had taken so long to call him back. I am barley working (maybe 4 to 8 hours a week) not returning e-mails and phone calls in a timely manner, trying to do transactions over the phone instead of face to face and my work is backing up. I spoke with another client of mine a few months ago (she is a Psychologist as well) and she said that years ago she had been put on an SSRI drug and that she instantly had a shocking sensation throughout her entire body. She got off the medication and the symptoms went away.

I spoke to my Fiancé last night (she has been a trooper through all of this and I probably wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for her) though she is very fragile with me going through this over a year now she said that she would do whatever it takes for us to get through this. Her family is praying for me every day. She called me from work today and said that she spoke to a customer of hers that is really happy with their Internal Medicine Doctor. The Doctor practices Western and Eastern Medicine and she thought we should give him a try.

Can anyone recommend supplements that can help me with this withdrawal? I am taking Fish Oil, Vitamin C and a Multi-Vitamin. Nothing really works for these shocking headaches I have been going to sleep with a bag of ice on my head and it has helped a little bit. I am still not getting normal sleep though it takes me hours to fall asleep because of my insomnia and these shocking headaches.

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

• Administrator

See our Symptoms and Self-care forum for suggestions about supplements, etc.

Increasing the Zoloft may not help. It may be too stimulating. Please be careful about this.

Yesterday, I increased the Zoloft to 100 mg. The entire day I was tired and felt like I had a sever hangover. The headaches, insomnia and the electric shock feeling were worse. I called the Pdoc today and he said tomorrow to go back down to 75mg.  I hate giving up hope but I don’t know if going back on Zoloft is really going to help me.

For those with the electric shock feeling in their heads do you get this all day long? From what I have read it sounds like most get a Zap feeling a couple times a day. The electric shock feeling that I have is all day long with constant tinnitus. It’s almost like I am hearing the shocking. The electric shock feeling gets worse at night and when I close my eyes to go to sleep.

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

• Administrator

It sounds to me that even 75mg Zoloft is too stimulating for you. More is not better when it comes to neuroactive drugs.

It sounds to me that even 75mg Zoloft is too stimulating for you. More is not better when it comes to neuroactive drugs.

I really don't know what to do. I am going to see my Pdoc in a couple weeks and he said that if I still feel worse to drop down to 50 mg of Zoloft. (BTW my Pdoc called me back within 20 minutes I can't believe it. What a caring Doctor, I couldn't even get my GP to return calls until I left several messages.)The Neurologist and Psychiatrist are trying to stabilize me with the reinstatement of Zoloft. Are we going in the wrong direction here? After my Zoloft withdrawal in 08/2012, I know when I was put on 30 mg of Celexa the horrible movie like thoughts finally went away. I was hoping that the rest of the symptoms would go away with the reinstatement of Zoloft.

Edited by Altostrata
edited per poster's request

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

• Moderator Emeritus

Let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly:  you are currently on 30 mg. Celexa, 300 mg. of Neurontin, and 100 mg. of Zoloft?  Exactly when (dates in June) did you increase your dose of Zoloft to 75 mg. and then to 100 mg.?  Has the tinnitus gotten better or worse with the increase in dosages?  How about the brain zaps?

You've really been through the mill with medications, abrupt increases, decreases, and cold-turkey stops.  I'm very sorry that you feel so bad, but it isn't surprising.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly:  you are currently on 30 mg. Celexa, 300 mg. of Neurontin twice a day, and 100 mg. of Zoloft? Correct  Exactly when (dates in June) did you increase your dose of Zoloft to 75 mg. June 5th and then to 100 mg June 20th.?  Has the tinnitus gotten better or worse with the increase in dosages? It's hard to tell but I would say the tinnitus has stayed the same.  How about the brain zaps? I feel brain zaps all day long and they get worse at night and when I close my eyes to go to sleep. Last night they were worse.

You've really been through the mill with medications, abrupt increases, decreases, and cold-turkey stops.  I'm very sorry that you feel so bad, but it isn't surprising.

Thank you Jemima...I am not really a medication type person, before this mess I rarely even took Advil for a headache. I was working out 3 times a week, eating healthy and working/playing hard. Now I am a couch potato and I have gained 30 lbs. I need to get my life together, I have made the decision that this weekend I am going to start exercising and eating healthy again.

I can't believe how fast I was addicted to Xanax (how can someone get addicted to Xanax in three days) at the time I never truly understood what it was doing to me. I would take it for three days (I would feel better) and then be off for two or three days and I would have bad anxiety by day two or three. Then I would take it again for three or four days (I would feel better) stop for two or three days and then I would have anxiety again along with insomnia now. The crazy thing is that I remember having a cocktail a couple times when the anxiety would happen ( I happened to be at a restaurant) and I would feel better. I only took 25 of 1 mg Xanax pills over the course of six to seven weeks. The prescription was written for 1 mg of Xanax as needed every eight hours. So I wasn't abusing it. I then decided to cold turkey it and thought I could handle a couple weeks of Xanax withdrawal. Boy was I wrong, I told my GP how addicted I was to Xanax and he didn't do anything he just told me not to take anymore. My Fiancé called my GP and explained that I wasn't sleeping, my eyes were dilated and I was having increased anxiety. He told her to give me Benadryl every four to six hours. What a joke! I needed rehab not Benadryl.

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

• Moderator Emeritus

It's something of a crapshoot trying to figure out what might work for you, but I'd say give it two to three more days on the 100 mg. dose and see if you feel any better at that point.  It is very difficult to tell whether going up or down in dosage would be best.  The important thing is to get stabilized for a month or more before trying to taper off.

Here is our topic on how to taper off of Zoloft: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/?hl=zoloft  Just give it a thorough reading, but don't try to do this yet. Please let us know how you're doing day by day and we'll help as best we can.

It's something of a crapshoot trying to figure out what might work for you, but I'd say give it two to three more days on the 100 mg. dose and see if you feel any better at that point.  It is very difficult to tell whether going up or down in dosage would be best.  The important thing is to get stabilized for a month or more before trying to taper off.

Here is our topic on how to taper off of Zoloft: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/?hl=zoloft  Just give it a thorough reading, but don't try to do this yet. Please let us know how you're doing day by day and we'll help as best we can.

Thank you...does stabilized mean what I think it means ...all of my symptoms corrected.

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you...does stabilized mean what I think it means ...all of my symptoms corrected.

In your case, I'd say that improvement to the point that you can function and have withdrawal symptoms that are bearable would be good enough for now.  You've had so very many ups and downs that have impacted your central nervous system that I doubt you're going to feel really good and symptom-free for some time.  All those ups, downs and cold turkeys tend to pile up like a multi-car wreck on an expressway and they take far longer to clear away.

If there's one thing we all seem to learn in withdrawal, it's patience.  This is a long, bumpy road back to normalcy and health and there doesn't seem to be any way to hurry things along. 

Since the hangover feeling went away after the first day, I have decided to stay at 100 mg of Zoloft. I have been at 100 mg for five days now. I am going to see my Neurologist today.

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications

• Moderator Emeritus

Let us know how it goes.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

The Neurologist said that there was nothing on my MRI that would cause my symptoms. She doesn't really know what to think now that my symptoms haven't really gotten consistently better. Though she didn't seem happy with the recommended dose of Zoloft from my Pdoc she said to continue the 100 mg of Zoloft for a couple months and if I didn't see an improvement in my symptoms to come back and see her.

I don't know if activity has something to do with it but Saturday and Sunday I was really active (washing cars, cleaning the garage... ect.) and on Sunday night the tinnitus seemed to be only affecting my right ear (strange). I didn't really do much on Monday and the tinnitus was back in both ears and the shocks were worse.

From what I have read of other members experience with "Brain Zaps" my experience seems different. Where other members have these electric shocks several times a day, I have the electrical feeling most of the day and it gets much more intense at night and when I close my eyes to go to sleep. It actually prevents me from sleeping for hours. Sometimes the electric shock feeling is so bad I have to have an ice pack on my head to sleep. Has anyone experienced this type of electric shock feeling? With my eyes closed in bed I have even seen bright or arch shaped lights. It's almost like there is lightning in my head that is hitting my retina or optic nerve. Again has anyone experienced this? 

Withdrawal Symptoms

History of Medications