LisasLove The Most Horrible Time Of My Life

LisasLove

• Moderator Emeritus

Does anyones symptoms get worse when they drive or read for an extended period of time? My Pdoc thinks that it is just fatigue but I think it is something related to my eyes and the scanning that takes place while looking at the highway and/or pc screen.

Earlier on in withdrawal I wasn't able to drive without my symptoms increasing.  I've also had problems reading (books), I would get tired after a few pages, would need to close my eyes and feel like I needed to go to sleep.  I'm fine with driving now and can read a chapter or two before I have to take a break.

Just give it more time, at 8 months off, its not unusual to still be having some significant symptoms... although I'm a little confused.  Your signature has you still on 25mg celexa, but your post above says you are drug free.  If you stopped taking celexa 8 months ago, what dose did you stop from?

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LisasLove

• Altostrata

• Meimeiquest

• Jemima

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyones symptoms get worse when they drive or read for an extended period of time? My Pdoc thinks that it is just fatigue but I think it is something related to my eyes and the scanning that takes place while looking at the highway and/or pc screen.

Earlier on in withdrawal I wasn't able to drive without my symptoms increasing.  I've also had problems reading (books), I would get tired after a few pages, would need to close my eyes and feel like I needed to go to sleep.  I'm fine with driving now and can read a chapter or two before I have to take a break.

Just give it more time, at 8 months off, its not unusual to still be having some significant symptoms... although I'm a little confused.  Your signature has you still on 25mg celexa, but your post above says you are drug free.  If you stopped taking celexa 8 months ago, what dose did you stop from?

Petunia.

I have been in withdrawal from a GP cold turkeying me off of Zoloft almost three years ago. Amongst other symptoms I have paresthesia which is very painful shocking, burning and pressure like headache 24/7. When the GP took c/t me off the Zoloft I went through a terrible depression, I wasn't being treated for depression I was being treated for anxiety do to Xanax withdrawal and the GP put me on Celexa. I didn't really have to bad of a withdrawal from Celexa because the Pdoc took over a year to taper me. My last dose was literally drops but I still have insomnia and about 5 other core symptoms from the original c/t from the Zoloft.

I will try to update the Celexa information again.

Reason for SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome

From July to August 2012 I was on 50 mg of Zoloft. The GP took me off of Zoloft without tapering, He said that Zoloft was not addicting and that I would not have any side effects.

Withdrawal Symptoms

Anxiety/Depression like symptoms, nervous, tinnitus, headache, low energy, insomnia, electric shock like sensations in the brain/eyes/body, muscle twitches, crying spells, suicidal and homicidal thoughts.

History of Doctors, Tests and Diagnoses

Two Psychologists, two Neurologists, two Psychiatrists, one Otolaryngologist, two MRI’s, two EEG’s and one MRA later I have been diagnosed with withdrawal effect from Zoloft by my Neurologist and with a Neurotoxic effect of SSRI's from not tapering Zoloft (SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome) by my Psychiatrist.

History of Medications

10 then 20 mg of Celexa for suicidal and homicidal thoughts recommended by my first Psychologist prescribed by my GP in Sept. 2012. Then Jan. 2013 the Celexa was increased by my first Psychiatrist from 20 to 30 then 40 mg. In April 2013 my second Neurologist started to taper the Celexa by 5 mg per month. However, in June my second Psychiatrist stopped the taper of Celexa and wants to hold at 30 mg until I am stable from my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft.

300 mg of Neurontin twice a day prescribed by my first Neurologist in Feb. 2013 for headaches and pain. Both my second Neurologist and Psychiatrist agree that this medication will be tapered lastly.

In April 2013, reinstated 50 mg of Zoloft prescribed by my second Neurologist to try and stabilize my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft. My second Neurologist asks me to seek a new Psychiatrist since my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft are not stable. In June 2013, the second Psychiatrist increased Zoloft to 75 then up to 100 mg to find a dose that will stabilize my withdrawal from Zoloft.

In August 2013, I now have a new MD who is trying to help me with the use of Supplements.

In September 2013, I have now completely tapered off of Neurontin and Zoloft with the help of my Psychiatrist. I have also started tapering Celexa at 2.5 mg per month. I am currently at 25 mg of Celexa.

All postings © copyrighted

• 8 months later...

I have been off all drugs for over 15 months and I still have the core symptoms that started 3.5 years ago when the GP took me off of Zoloft without tapering me. The symptoms are tinnitus, sore eyes (inflammation), vision problems (floaters & snow), insomnia and pressure-burning-shocking headaches 24/7. 

Has anyone with the same eye symptoms taken a ERG and VEP test? My Ophthalmologist among other tests did an Electroretinography (ERG) and a Visual Evoked Potentials (VEP). My understanding is that the two tests measure the electrical activity of the brain in response to stimulation of specific sensory nerve pathways. The tests are able to detect the slowing of electrical conduction caused by damaged myelin along these pathways. My Ophthalmologist said that his educated guess (as I would put it) is that there is Myelin damage because the VEP shows that there is an electrical problem with my eyes (primarily with my right eye). The Ophthalmologist said that his educated guess is that he believes that I have optic nerve toxicity from the SSRI's. If this is correct, I think this could prove that my withdrawal maybe some sort of Neurotoxicity, which is what my Pdoc has been telling me the entire time. What is really interesting is that the Ophthalmologist said that these tests can show damage that a neurological examination or even the patient would not notice. If this is true, even if you do not have visual problems similar to mine the test could still show damage.

I asked the Ophthalmologist about recovery but he didn’t really talk about it since SSRI Withdrawal is new to him. He is a compassionate Doctor that actually listens to me. He says however, that I am teaching him when it comes to SSRI Withdrawal. My understanding there’s not really a recovery per say (other than stop taking the drug) the test just says that something is wrong even if you don’t have any symptoms it will show that something is wrong. Doctors use these tests combined with other tests to help them in the diagnosis of a variety of pathologies (MS, Glaucoma, Toxicity …et cetera). I had an MRI which did not show any lesions which probably rules out MS and I had an image taken of my optic nerves which was run through a data base which probably rules out Glaucoma. If I would have had these tests while I was on the medication or just after the symptoms started, I would have had baseline data which I could have compared to another test in the future. At that time of toxicity, the electrical activity of the brain in response to stimulation of specific sensory nerve pathways would have been more delayed compared to today since I am no longer on the medication. Simply, at the time of toxicity there would have been a spike but we don’t have that information to compare so that’s why I use the phrase that my Ophthalmologist is giving me an educated guess that there is demyelination of the Optic Nerves. However, we now have a baseline to compare to future tests.

Reason for SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome

From July to August 2012 I was on 50 mg of Zoloft. The GP took me off of Zoloft without tapering, He said that Zoloft was not addicting and that I would not have any side effects.

Withdrawal Symptoms

Anxiety/Depression like symptoms, nervous, tinnitus, headache, low energy, insomnia, electric shock like sensations in the brain/eyes/body, muscle twitches, crying spells, suicidal and homicidal thoughts.

History of Doctors, Tests and Diagnoses

Two Psychologists, two Neurologists, two Psychiatrists, one Otolaryngologist, two MRI’s, two EEG’s and one MRA later I have been diagnosed with withdrawal effect from Zoloft by my Neurologist and with a Neurotoxic effect of SSRI's from not tapering Zoloft (SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome) by my Psychiatrist.

History of Medications

10 then 20 mg of Celexa for suicidal and homicidal thoughts recommended by my first Psychologist prescribed by my GP in Sept. 2012. Then Jan. 2013 the Celexa was increased by my first Psychiatrist from 20 to 30 then 40 mg. In April 2013 my second Neurologist started to taper the Celexa by 5 mg per month. However, in June my second Psychiatrist stopped the taper of Celexa and wants to hold at 30 mg until I am stable from my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft.

300 mg of Neurontin twice a day prescribed by my first Neurologist in Feb. 2013 for headaches and pain. Both my second Neurologist and Psychiatrist agree that this medication will be tapered lastly.

In April 2013, reinstated 50 mg of Zoloft prescribed by my second Neurologist to try and stabilize my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft. My second Neurologist asks me to seek a new Psychiatrist since my withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft are not stable. In June 2013, the second Psychiatrist increased Zoloft to 75 then up to 100 mg to find a dose that will stabilize my withdrawal from Zoloft.

In August 2013, I now have a new MD who is trying to help me with the use of Supplements.

In September 2013, I have now completely tapered off of Neurontin and Zoloft with the help of my Psychiatrist. I have also started tapering Celexa at 2.5 mg per month. I am currently at 25 mg of Celexa.

All postings © copyrighted