SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Study in male mice: Increased serotonin a sexual disruptor

Altostrata

• Administrator

Increased serotonin causes sexual dysfunction; serotonin-free male mice are hypersexual.

Serotonin sex bomb: How to make a mouse bisexual or just really horny

by Neil Katz March 24, 2011 (CBS)

....a fascinating study out of China sheds new light on the role of serotonin in sexual behavior.

Serotonin is a brain chemical long known to affect sex drive in humans. People who take anti-depressants like Prozac and Zoloft, drugs which increases serotonin in the brain, often have lower libidos.

For mice, the problem is particularly acute - give them too much serotonin and they have trouble gaining erections and ejaculating. But take it away and it's game on.

Researchers at Beijing's National Institute of Biological Sciences did just that. Working with male mice that lack a gene which makes serotonin, they introduced mice of both genders into their cages and sat down to watch the sex show.

Turns out the serotonin-deprived mice were quite the performers, mounting both male and female partners about 80 percent of the time. By comparison, normal male mice got funky with females between 60 and 80 percent of the time and didn't have much taste for their more macho counterparts - mounting them only 20 to 30 percent of the time.

Other signs backed up their mounting experiment. Serotonin-deprived mice sniffed the love scent of males and females equally and sang beautiful mating songs to both.

....[it's] not clear that any of this can be extrapolated to humans. For starters, mice already act far more bisexual than most hetero-oriented humans and scientists caution that between mice and men, we are built very differently. Also, there is no evidence that *** men who take anti-depressants (remember they increase serotonin) act or feel any less homosexual.

The research was published in the journal Nature.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20046716-10391704.html?tag=mncol;lst;5

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 years later...

This explains something that I have experienced recently, I´ve had periods of 2 or 3 days were I become extremely horny and am able to masturbate to anything, its the first time I´ve masturbated to gay videos. I´m okay with it as I don´t see it as my sexuality just as a way to stop my horniness. Alto, do you know anyone that has gone through this? Normally I settle down to my usual sexuality but it impressive.

1/12: 20 mg Prozac.

6/14: Doc decides to switch me to Lexapro in may. The switch consisted in overlaping fluoxetine and half lexapro for 2 weeks, then stop fluoxetine and go on 10mg Lexapro, I was a week on 10mg lexapro and stopped as I was feeling bad then went on 3mg and taper from it .After that I learned from withdrawal and all that.

7/14: 2.5mg Lexapro for 1 year.

7/15: cold turkeyed from 2.5 mg.

• Administrator

Ignacio, you've posted this question three times. Enough is enough.

You can masturbate to anything. Basically, monkeys like to watch other monkeys having sex.

I would not worry about "becoming gay" from drug effects. If you want to be gay, be gay. If you don't, don't. Your private thoughts are not anyone else's business.

Do not worry about your heterosexuality and add useless anxieties to your problems.

Straight male panic over "gay" inclinations seems to me to be one of the more inane anxieties. Please, let's not work ourselves up over it here.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy