Considering Making a Documentary

Narcissus

• Moderator Emeritus

I am thinking about (so far just THINKING about) making a short documentary about anti-depressant withdrawal syndrome to put online.  I'm thinking that the best approach would be to conduct interviews in which people describe their long term struggles with anti-depressant withdrawal, and edit them together.  I might also get a few of the doctors who recognize the seriousness of withdrawal to chime in.    It might also be interesting to get some of the key figures in the online community to say a word or give advice.  Alto, I know you're very careful about privacy, but would you consider doing an interview?  This would emphatically not be a critique of psychiatry or big pharma.  I simply want to get it out there that people are suffering.  If anyone would like to be in the film and tell their story please let me know here.  And if anyone has any ideas/suggestions/encouragement I'm all ears!  I'll need lots of input if I'm going to go through with this. 

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

Really interesting idea. I've often thought a book would be good as well.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• Administrator

Sure, I'll help if I can. This is an ambitious project.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I am getting ready to start weaning off of Abiliffy. Do you have someone to make the film? My husband is a cameraman and does film editing also. I know he would be interested in helping make the documentary if he was able.

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't think it would really be a full blown documentary, more like a 20 minute piece.  I have no idea what I'll need yet in terms of crew.  Keep in touch?

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently had the same thought, except my thought was that we need to contact Michael Moore, and have HIM make a documentary!

Also I was thinking there really needs to be a class action law suit against the APA for not teaching psychiatrists about withdrawal syndrome.

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
2009-3/2013: Switched to Pristiq 50 mg then 100 mg
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
8/2013-8/2014: Tapering Lexapro (Lots of withdrawal symptoms)
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

A Documentary Film about Psychotropics has already been made!  I wish I knew about this sooner.  

Making a Killing – The Untold Story of Psychotropic Drugging

You can watch the entire film for free online:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/making-a-killing-the-untold-story-of-psychotropic-drugging/

2005-2008: Effexor; 1/2008 Tapered 3 months, then quit. 7/2008-2009 Reinstated Effexor (crying spells at start of new job.)
2009-3/2013: Switched to Pristiq 50 mg then 100 mg
3/2013: Switched to Lexapro 10mg. Cut down to 5 mg. CT for 2 weeks then reinstated for 6 weeks
8/2013-8/2014: Tapering Lexapro (Lots of withdrawal symptoms)
11/2014 -8/2015: Developed severe insomnia and uncontrollable daily crying spells
12/2014-6/2015: Tried Ambien, Klonopin, Ativan, Lunesta, Sonata, Trazadone, Seroquel, Rameron, Gabapentin - Developed Anxiety disorder, PTSD, and Psychogenic Myoclonus
7/2015-1/2016: Reinstated Lexapro 2 mg (mild improvement, but crying spells still present)

1/2016-5/2017: Lexapro 5 mg ( helped a lot, but poor stress tolerance & depressive episodes)

5/20/2017 - Raised dose to Lexapro 10 mg due to lingering depression(Total of 2 failed tapers & severe PAWS)

9/11/2018 - Present: Still on 10 mg Lexapro and mostly recovered.(Anxiety still triggers Myoclonus.)

10/7/2022 - 20 mg Lexapro (brand only) Plus occasional Klonopin for anxiety and Ambien for insomnia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a great plan Narc:)

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• 3 weeks later...

Narcissus:  I think that is a fabulous idea!  Like you say, even if it is a short.  People need to be made aware, far and wide, of the damage these drugs are doing to so many people!  I am presently on my 5th try, yep, but I am determined.  Why has it taken a fifth try?  Because NO ONE prior knew how to do it humanely!  Finally I now understand how slow and minute the withdrawal needs to be!   You live in New Orleans?  I am in Alexandria.

1976-2013:  Prescribed various Pain pills, Antidepressants and Benzos.

1976 (?):   Prescribed Fiorinal and Fiorinal #3 (codeine) for severe headaches.  I found out in the 1990's this drug caused rebound headaches and depression; I took it for appoximately 16 years.  Not once was I told nor did I ever suspect that those symptoms were coming from the drug.

1980's:  Tried a 3 day detox in hospital.   C/T FAILED.  Prescribed Xanax for anxiety and insomnia, one to one 1/2 tablets (0.5mg) per day and Ellavil (25mg) for depression.

1992:   Rehab.  C/T FAILED  Prior to going and having a meeting with the Medical Director, he asked me to write down everything I took that day.  He looked at it and said I don't think you are an addict, it looks like misuse.  I went into rehab anyway because I was so depressed and suicidal.  Got back on Fiorinal, Xanax, discontinued Ellavil and began Celexa. 

1992:   Stayed on Celexa for awhile and later switched to other SSRI's over the years but ultimately on Lexapro 20 mg.

2000 (?):  Did a 30 day Vitamin Detox Program from Xanax and Lexapro.  C/T FAILED

2010:  Costa Rica  30 day Orthomolecular Rehab Program for Psych drugs, etc.  I was on Xanax 3 mg (?)  per day and Lexapro 20 mg 1x per day.  C/T Failed  Got back on even more drugs.

All those years of taking prescribed drugs I had no idea nor did any psychiatrist, doctor, etc., ever consider to tell me that Xanax and Fiorinal caused depression.  I now know I was medicating the adverse effects of those drugs - what a wasted life all due to no one thinking it important to connect the dots, dig a little vs. pulling out the prescription pad!

2011:  Prescribed and presently on:

Xanax (0.5mg) 4x day

Pamelor (20mg) 1 x day

Pristiq (50 mg) 1 x day

Wellbutrin (37.5 mg) 1 x day

I'm for it, if it is one of those things where my voice and features are obscured. I think it needs to be done. I have halfheartedly tried to mention to some in my acquaintance who are on meds that there could be rough times ahead if they ever decide to go off. But they can't hear it and are sure in their convictions that their doctors will help them, I pray that is so. My sig explains why a lot of the time I feel like one of these days I might descend into madness as a result of what happened to me. If I manage to ever be sane and human years from now I will be so grateful and I AM so grateful for all of the help I have received here. I was still drug-numb during acute withdrawal but just hearing people describe the symptoms flashes me back. I think it was far worse than I was able to comprehend. I'll do whatever I can to help, I just don't want to take off all my covers yet.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.