SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Rename and describe this forum!

Altostrata

• Administrator

What do you think?

What should this forum be about?

Do we need it?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes, please, let's have a "Spiritual" forum, whatever we call it.

As for the name, how about "Spirituality and Noetic Science"?

The aim would be to make people with different beliefs comfortable, ranging from the religious spiritual, through the non-religious spiritual, to the non-spiritual person interested in consciousness.

This is from the "Institute of Noetic Sciences" website.

>>>What are the Noetic Sciences?

no•et•ic: From the Greek noēsis / noētikos, meaning inner wisdom, direct knowing, or subjective understanding.

sci•ence: Systems of acquiring knowledge that use observation, experimentation, and replication to describe and explain natural phenomena.

no•et•ic sci•ences: A multidisciplinary field that brings objective scientific tools and techniques together with subjective inner knowing to study the full range of human experiences.

For centuries, philosophers from Plato forward have used the term noetic to refer to experiences that pioneering psychologist William James (1902) described as:

…states of insight into depths of truth unplumbed by the discursive intellect. They are illuminations, revelations, full of significance and importance, all inarticulate though they remain; and as a rule they carry with them a curious sense of authority.

The term noetic sciences was first coined in 1973 when the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS) was founded by Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell, who two years earlier became the sixth man to walk on the moon. Ironically, it was the trip back home that Mitchell recalls most, during which he felt a profound sense of universal connectedness—what he later described as a samadhi experience. In Mitchell’s own words, “The presence of divinity became almost palpable, and I knew that life in the universe was not just an accident based on random processes. . . .The knowledge came to me directly.”

It led him to conclude that reality is more complex, subtle, and mysterious than conventional science had led him to believe. Perhaps a deeper understanding of consciousness (inner space) could lead to a new and expanded understanding of reality in which objective and subjective, outer and inner, are understood as co-equal aspects of the miracle of being. It was this intersection of knowledge systems that led Dr. Mitchell to launch the interdisciplinary field of noetic sciences.<<<

Dan Brown, in his latest bestseller "The Lost Symbol," took a step toward popularizing this term.

I don't feel strongly about this. I'm just brainstorming.

Or how about "Spirituality & Consciousness"?

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

• Administrator

Interesting suggestions, H.

Noetic is a lovely word. Would most visitors understand it?

Maybe something having to do with mysteries...the unseen...

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Administrator

I like Ineffable because it suggests the existence of the Effable -- which is how I feel about the whole toxic pharma situation.

(Kidding!)

Check out the Visual Thesaurus http://www.visualthesaurus.com/landing/?ad=ddc.large&utm_medium=large&utm_campaign=VT&utm_source=ddc&word=spiritual&lang=en -- hours of fun.

For this forum, how about something like Searching for Inner Peace? Transcending?

Feeding the Soul? Inspiration from Within?

How about Inner Strength? I think that describes an essential characteristic in all of us, each in his or her own way.

You know, I've been immersed in this study for seven years, and I still have not been able to come up with a single word or phrase that encompasses the the range of religious through scientific interest in the spiritual / cosmic / transpersonal / psychic / mystical.

It's not just about inner reality. There's an "outer" element. And it's not just about mystery -- there is a lot of research science and knowledge, too. It doesn't seem great to define it as what it's not -- eg "immaterial." "Soul" has too many assumptions attached to it, and is religious.

How about --

What's it all about (Alfie)?

There are more things in heaven and earth (Horatio) than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Beyond time and space

Spirit and psi

Mysteries sacred and secular (except, mysteries, enh)

The Unseen (except sometimes it's seen)

Call me anything but late to dinner.

The Magical Mystery Tour (for those of a certain age, substances not included)

Metaphysics

Cosmic

Cosmos

If you try sometimes well you just might find you get what you need.

:blink:

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

• Administrator

I agree, it's hard to sum it up in a word or two.

Here's what a good title needs:

- Tells the story at a glance to a general audience

- Encompasses all religions

- Encompasses other spiritual exploration

- Maybe is kind of uplifting in itself?

"Spiritualty and Growth"

"Spirituality and Inner Growth"

"Consciousness and Inner Growth"

"Spiritualty, Consciousness and Inner Growth"

or just "Spirituality"?

Will still try to think of some more.

By the way, that's some cute amoticon, Healing ---> :blink:

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

The Doors of Perception

B)

Noetic is a lovely word. Would most visitors understand it?

Truthfully, I would have had to look it up. Could be I'm not very brite?

Charter Member 2011

• Administrator

Truthfully, I would have had to look it up. Could be I'm not very brite?

Heavens, no! ;)

• Administrator

How does

Finding meaning

Explorations of faith and spirit

strike you?

Well, first let me say it's fine, really. But, then let me say it's too tilted toward the religious for my druthers. "Spirit" is sufficient. We don't absolutely need "faith" as well. And I would ideally like to see something secular added in like "psi," "parapsychology," "psychic phenomena," "paranormal phenomena." Something along those lines.

Also, "finding meaning" applies to psychology and neuroscience, as well. Those are just different systems of meaning. So, this forum is not the only one dedicated to finding meaning.

How about something like "Spirituality and Psychic Phenomena"? IOW -- including a sacred and a secular perspective on woo-woo matters.

• Administrator

How about this:

Finding meaning

Explorations of spirit and beyond

Does this communicate to people who have a religious outlook? Or is it too woo-woo?

How about this:

I like it!

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

Well, first let me say it's fine, really. But, then let me say it's too tilted toward the religious for my druthers. "Spirit" is sufficient. We don't absolutely need "faith" as well. And I would ideally like to see something secular added in like "psi," "parapsychology," "psychic phenomena," "paranormal phenomena." Something along those lines.

Also, "finding meaning" applies to psychology and neuroscience, as well. Those are just different systems of meaning. So, this forum is not the only one dedicated to finding meaning.

How about something like "Spirituality and Psychic Phenomena"? IOW -- including a sacred and a secular perspective on woo-woo matters.

I agree about not needing "faith". Spirituality, by itself, says enough to me.

Psychic Phenomena would work for most of us here at the moment. Consider please that people will be here that can't type or spell, and that words like "psychic phenomena" might push them over the edge. If we aren't careful, we'll become the complete opposite of that other site, which I doubt any of us want. TT there and the intellectuals here... no... at least for me... no.

How about this:

Finding meaning

Does this communicate to people who have a religious outlook? Or is it too woo-woo?

I like Finding Meaning

Charter Member 2011

• Administrator

How about

Finding meaning

Explorations of spirit and belief

Finding meaning

Explorations of belief and spirit

How about --

Inspiration

More Things in Heaven and Earth

Other Realms

Traveling to Other Dimensions

Healing's Soapbox

The Perennial Philosophy

Spiritual & Paranormal Matters

Cosmic Questions

Cosmic Matters

-- Sacred and Secular Explanations

The Cosmic Traveler

The Fourth Wall

• Administrator

How about

Finding meaning

Explorations of faith and philosophy

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy