SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Are the Young People That Shrinks Label as Disruptive Really Anarchists with a Healthy Resistance to Oppressive Authority?

Finn

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

Agree, it is a great article.  I love this comment:

"How do you get a psychiatrist to diagnose you with a mental illness?"

"You make an appointment."

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

Two cheers for anarchism!

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Administrator

Even scarier when applied to small children.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I remembered seeing this article posted and look it up again because I am really concerned for my grandson

and fear he is going to be taken to psych doctors and medicated to get him in line. 

He is 14 and his parents split almost 2 years ago. Since then he is becoming more and more resistant to authority.

He does as he wants when he wants and argues with parents and teachers. He spends almost every weekend with

me and has always been respectful towards me. We were talking last week and he told me he wants out of school

so is being as disruptive as possible so he will be thrown out!  He thought it all outand said if he truants then his

parents can be prosecuted, but they can't be prosecuted if he is thrown out. 

If dad tells him off or tries to discipline him by taking away privileges, he leaves and goes to mum's. If mum tells him

off he leaves and goes to dad's.  

A few months ago he was seen by the educational psychologist who suggested taking him to the gp because of his

low mood. The second dad told me this alarm bells were ringing in my head and I asked dad to please not let them

medicate him. Mum did take him and he was given tablets to help him sleep but he didn't like them so didn't take

more than 1 or 2.

Reading that article makes me wonder if that is what is going on here. He will argue his point with anyone

but never shouts or uses violence. He has found mobile phones and handed them in to the police. He stops to help

people and will generally do anything for me if I ask him respectfully and not demanding. 

He's out on his bike early in the mornings because he likes mornings. He loves rugby and is an accomplished player.

Today his dad told me that he thinks my grandson is depressed. I'm now waiting for them to take him to the doctor.

He is intelligent and loves sport, doing well in inter school sports but doesn't sit in class and learn. 

I am very very worried about him but am powerless.  :(

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I really believe that many of these kids that are "labeled" as disruptive are being kids. I haven't seen a five year old boy that doesn't have a ton of energy in general. And watch a teenage boy walking down a crowded high school hallway with friends, or playing a game of basketball.That energy isn't always easy to calm down no matter where they are or what they're doing. Watch any group of teenage girls giggling and screaming excitably about something silly.Normal children are born this way, and due to family dynamics, finances, and just being themselves, doesn't make them anarchists or disruptive. They are reacting to circumstances, and being themselves.Working as I do in a social work environment, I do see a lot of upset parents, children, and families. And I've come to believe that with few exceptions, many children are medicated to maintain control over them by parents who are not ready to be married much less become parents, and often at the recommendations of teachers and counselors who also are overwhelmed and need that control due to class sizes.I do not think one child was ever on a psychotropic (if one existed like they do now) when I went through school. And many of my classmates went on to become researchers, scientists, businessmen and athletes. Oh, and we all went through our rebellious "anarchist" stage also.Too bad and very sad that it's now so difficult to distinguish a normal, healthy, active child from one who may truly require some counseling. And that should happen way before putting any child on any psychotropic medication.My opinion.Marie

On Xanax 10 years for anxiety, 2 mgs, night only. Attempted my own taper w/o understanding the dependency issues.

Researched and then understood the need for longer half life med. Doctor crossed me from X to klonopin 4 times in 6 months. Last time on X, she up dosed me to 3 mgs X.

On last cross attempt, ended up in ER with profound w/d sx from X. Got new doctor. Final cross to K, structured, slow was completed 6/5/12-12/5/12.

Attempting liquid micro taper from K. Difficulty with micro cuts; significant w/d sx requiring several weeks of holding after each cut. Also concerned if it's possible to use pill/liquid combo for dosing.

Hope I Meet Other Benzo Taperers Here! I have tried ADs in past. Could not tolerate them, gave up trying, none for over 12 years.

• Moderator Emeritus

Working as I do in a social work environment, I do see a lot of upset parents, children, and families. And I've come to believe that with few exceptions, many children are medicated to maintain control over them by parents who are not ready to be married much less become parents, and often at the recommendations of teachers and counselors who also are overwhelmed and need that control due to class sizes.

I'm glad to see someone else expressing my opinion.  I've often thought that these normal, energetic, curious kids aren't hyperactive at all. What they are is a nuisance to parents who have to overwork to make ends meet and to teachers with overly large classes and too much responsibility. We live in a really crazy, evil-gone-amuck kind of world where that which doesn't contribute to wealth must be overridden and subdued.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

I agree, J!

In modern society, the nails that stick up are being hammered down with psychiatric drugs, starting with the children. We live in a science-fiction world.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Agree, it is a great article.  I love this comment:

"How do you get a psychiatrist to diagnose you with a mental illness?"

"You make an appointment."

Love this quote'''

Unable at this time to correspond by private message.

Link to my Introduction thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2477-aria-my-psych-journey/

Reading my psychiatric records: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5466-drugged-crazy-reading-my-psychiatric-records/

My Success Story is listed under "Aria's Recovery".

• Moderator Emeritus

Two cheers for anarchism!

Snort! HA

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Working as I do in a social work environment, I do see a lot of upset parents, children, and families. And I've come to believe that with few exceptions, many children are medicated to maintain control over them by parents who are not ready to be married much less become parents, and often at the recommendations of teachers and counselors who also are overwhelmed and need that control due to class sizes.

I'm glad to see someone else expressing my opinion.  I've often thought that these normal, energetic, curious kids aren't hyperactive at all. What they are is a nuisance to parents who have to overwork to make ends meet and to teachers with overly large classes and too much responsibility. We live in a really crazy, evil-gone-amuck kind of world where that which doesn't contribute to wealth must be overridden and subdued.

I agree, J!

In modern society, the nails that stick up are being hammered down with psychiatric drugs, starting with the children. We live in a science-fiction world.

Agree. It's pretty appalling. Interesting to note that there are pockets where this is being discussed openly, particularly in minority communities, because of course minority kids are getting it the worst. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy