Kachna: Lexapro discontinuation syndrome

Kachna

Hi All. I have been reading this forum for a while and decided to post today.

I live in Switzerland, big Pharma paradise with psychiatrist office on every corner. I have been struggling with severe back pain for more than a year , for the past 6 we have moved few times, i have changed jobs few times etc. and last year it was just enough for me. I experienced a nervous breakdown and panic attacks. After a 10 min conversation i was put on cipralex (lexapro) .

Before that i only new the name of a "happy pill" - prozac. I did not know how these drugs worked. Doctor said - u will feel better in around a month , i was also put on .5 of xanax twice a day to go through this first month.

Lexarpo always gave me side effects, anxiety, terrible head pressure and headaches. In November 2012 I started Lyrica for whatever, not too sure now for what - for the pain maybe. And also was put on zyprexa for few days, but could not tolerate it and stopped within a week.

I got severe bladder infection and was put on two antibiotics. My Gp told me that i should not take lyrica anymore, i was only on 75 or 100 mg and i quit in 3 days. My bladder story got better but anxiety came back, now when i think of it, it may have been lyrica withdrawal. And i was put on xanax 0.5 x times a day again, and was taking it for a moth. In February my headaches got worse on lexarpo, and i decided with therapist that i want to get rid of the drugs. Since i had liquid version of 20 mg , i starter reducing 1 drop (10 drops - 20 mg) every 5 days, when i reached 5 drops - i was reducing every 10 days.

I was feeling quite all right during withdrawal, had heart palpitations in the end - but doctors said it may be due to the lack of iron etc. i was on 1 drop 3 days and my therapist said that the dosage is so low that i can just quit.

All in all - the whole taper lasted around 70 days. Which as i was told was very very very slow.

6 days after my nightmare started, insomnia for a week , terrible headaches, head pressure or brain zaps with head pressure lasting days, depersonalization , feeling low, feeling not needed anymore, crying.

It has been now week 9 , a lot of things are now gone, i am left with brain zaps and headaches , lasting few hours. I do have good half days, good hours etc but these headaches and zaps,are sometimes too much. Sometimes i have heart pounding

I do take now some anthroposophical medicine - including low dosage of st johns wort. And fish oil twice a day.

I know i am not depressed, i do have numb days like - i do not care what will happen, or i feel like sick for few days. I still have bad back pain. I cannot sit for long - which sometimes really bring me down..

I do not give up easily.

Would you have any suggestion how to battle these headache and mental state?.

I changed doctor. The psych i went to totally ignored what i felt and wanted to give me another drug .

I go to holistic doctor, he does not seem to understand the withdrawal,as well.

Would you also know of any Swiss doctors that understand this topic ?

Thank you in advance for all the tips

Sept2012-april 2013 - Lexarpo 20mg - taper beginning in Feb till April 2013

Xanax full october 2012 and full February 2013

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

End of May 2013- August 2013 - st johns wort - taper 6 weeks

Withdrawal (mixture cipralex and sjw)

Now lorazepam for anxiety- not regular

Still in withdrawal - head pressure, nausea - trying to hang in there

Sensitive to antidepressant and benzos

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kachna

• Altostrata

• annelle

• Petunia

Top Posters In This Topic

I took my last lexarpo dose on the14th of april. Since then i was at neurologist, had brain scan, and was offerd new drugs !!

And i am nit a fan of the idea of re- instating drugs. It gave me side effects first of all.

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

• Administrator

Welcome, Kachna.

Yes, it sounds like you have withdrawal syndrome from Lexapro. I can understand your reluctance to go back on any drug.

Your bad reaction to it probably indicates an adverse reaction from the start. You may be sensitive to all serotonergics.

With time, your nervous system will work on repairing itself. See our Symptoms and Self-care forum for suggestions about how to cope with symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank You Alto, i will go though this.

I was told that i am sensitive to medications in general, antibiotics, benzos, triptgans for migraine etc . They all give me side effects.

I will definitely post if i have more questions. It has been good to have found this forum, very reliable source of information, telling me that i am not an idiot.

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

Hello,

Guys , it has been my week nine after i stopped lexarpo. Here is my story

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4544-kachna-lexapro-discotinuation-syndrome/#entry56061

I am still struggling with brain zaps , for me they last hours , sometimes it is just head pressure, i do have days with almost no head sensation , however i cannot find a pattern as there is none.

I take fish oil twice a day, i am also onlow dosis of st johns wort.

I was trying to find some tips on how to deal with these head issues, it is dufficult to choose as it is so many topics. All tips appreciated. Last two days have been with constant head pressure and electric shocks.

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

• Administrator

See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/288-brain-zaps/

St. John's Wort may be making this worse. I wouldn't take it if you have withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

http://usa.weleda.com/our-products/specialty-medicines-results.aspx?ind=&Thanks Alto, this is what i am taking. 10 Drops 3 times a day. Not too sure what would be the safest way to stop taking them. How to lower the dosage? I alo thought this may make headpressure stronger but i gave it 4 weeks .Thank youK

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

• Administrator

Sorry, that link is broken.

A Facebook correspondent recommends omega-3 fish oil for the zaps and ice packs for the pressure sensation.

Thanks Alto, i will try omega 3 times a day and cold packs

This is what i am taking

Hypericum Auro Cultum 2X

Size: 1.7 Fl Oz (50ml) Liquid (RX)

Active Ingredients Hypericum perforatum 2X "Auro Cultum" indicates that the Hypericum was biodynamically / organically cultivated with gold enriched compost..

Inactive Ingredients Contains 50% v/v.

Contra Indications: Simultaneous use of MAO inhibitors.

Directions: Age 7 and older: 7-10 drops in a teaspoonful of water 4 times daily before meals and at bedtime. Age 2-6: 1 drop for each year of age, 4 times daily. Age under 2: As directed by the physician.

Side Effects: This preparation may cause photosensitivity.

Notes: "Auro cultum" indicates that the Hypericum was biodynamically / organically cultivated in gold enriched compost.

Warnings: No known toxicity when used in therapeutic dosages. The risk of interaction with other medicinal products exists. Combining this preparation with other medicinal products may render the other medicinal products less effective; suddenly discontinuing this preparation may increase the toxicity of other medicinal products. (See Drug Interactions.) This preparation may cause photosensitivity.

Patients should be advised to: 1) Consult with their physician to ensure that improvement is proceeding normally; 2) Store at controlled room temperature (60º - 85ºF), away from direct light; 3) Keep tightly closed and out of the reach of children.

Contact Us To Order

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

• Administrator

I have no idea what this is or if it is effective. Since it's not to be used with MAO inhibitors, I'd be very wary of it and taper off.

I was told this is anthroposophic st johns wort extract , well the medicine contains homeopathic dosage of st johns worth. Why can it be difficult to taper off? I am not really familiar with MAO connection. And most likely the doctor will tell me - stop taking it, no side effects. I want to do this reasonably. Thank You Alto

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

something more I found, not sure if helpful

Hypericum Auro Cultum Rh Liquid - Indications: depression, nervous disorders, sleep disorders Indications: anxiety, nervous disorders Herbal preparations containing St John’s wort are used, frequently for self-medication, in the treatment of depression. Such preparations are also promoted for the treatment of other nervous disorders such as insomnia and anxiety, particularly if associated with the menopause. Hypericin, a major constituent of St John’s wort, has been investigated as an antiviral in the treatment of HIV infection and AIDS.St John’s wort has been used in homoeopathic preparations. More: http://www.igenericdrugs.com/?s=Hypericum%20Auro%20Cultum%20Rh%20Liquid

More: http://www.igenericdrugs.com/?s=Hypericum%20Auro%20Cultum%20Rh%20Liquid

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

Hey, how would you advise to taper it off ?? I do not want to stop taking it cold turkey. Thank you

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

• Moderator Emeritus

Kachna, when and how did you stop taking the Xanax? That could also be contributing to your symptoms depending on how long you took it and how you quit.  That's not really such a small dose, 1 mg per day, because Xanax is very potent and 1 mg Xanax is equivalent to about 20 mg of Valium.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hi there, i stopped taking zanax in february. And i took 3 times in april .25 dosage. Thats it. Now only taking st johns wort extract- maybe this is too much . This constant headpressure is driving me crazy. Not sure how to help myself .

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

• Moderator Emeritus

You're probably experiencing benzo withdrawal as well, then.

There may not be much you can do at this point except ride it out. I suppose it's possible a small reinstatement of a very tiny dose of Lexapro might help--I'm afraid that's not really my area of expertise, but from reading what Alto suggests to people, I would say only a very, very small dosage, especially given that you never felt well on Lexapro.

At this point I would not recommend trying to reinstate the Xanax.

Otherwise, there's not a lot to do except ride it out. Read the "symptoms and self-care" section for ideas that have helped other people.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

Hey, not too sure if Lexarpo is a good idea after 10 weeks. It made me feel **** in the first place. My head feels like one pain baloon.

Alto suggested it may be hypericum/ st johns wort that i am taking. Will try to taper it off. Not sure how though.

Thanks

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you taking it in drops? Can you dilute it? or break tablets in half and quarters?

Hi , it is described above. Drops , now 3x 7 or 8

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

So how can i taper it? It comes in drops. Can i just stop taking it? That is what gp said, stop for a few days and u will see if headaches are gone...

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

• Administrator

To taper liquid St. John's Wort, take fewer drops. For example, if you're taking 7 drops a day, take 6 instead. I would reduce by 1 drop per day every 5 days or so.

Thanks, will do as the head pressue is too stong. And i am not taking anything else, just paracetamol, fish oil and magnesium .

I get so exhausted trying to do something with this head pressure.

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

• Administrator

A Facebook correspondent suggests ice packs for the head pressure.

Thanks Alto, gave it a try, not sure it works. Warm packg give me some relief. I will keep u posted. Hope u are feeling ok??

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

Thanks Alto, gave it a try, not sure it works. Warm packg give me some relief. I will keep u posted. Hope u are feeling ok??

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

hi there kachna

what type of omega are you taking is it capsule or liquid?

I first took omega 3 capsules which didn't really help me much with the brain zaps etc.. I switched to a fish oil (liquid form) omega 3,6,9 with vitamin d3 and e in it also its called paradox...it seems to be helping more now, I don't seem to get the brain zaps its more like a fluttery feeling across the left side of my head now.. I also take magnesium like you as well..

I hope the head pressure settles down for you soon I know all to well how It feels...

do you get any relief from it, or is it all day everyday??

2010-withdrew from Effexor 150mg to zero over a period of 9 months

After six weeks became very ill

Doctor was adamant a reinstatement of 150mg was needed

I didn't know much of withdrawal symptoms at this time

February 2013- taking beads out of capsule 150mg

have taken out 112 beads equivalent to 30mg= 120mg taken

June 2013- Doctor visit- recommended given me 75mg capsules

take one in morning and one at night( take beads out of night one)

So am currently taking 75mg in morning and take beads out of 75mg night capsule to make up the other 45mg= 120mg

currently am down to taking 112.5mg..

presently reduced down to 103mg

at 93mg

at 87mg

Hey, this pressure is most od the day. It maybe disappears for moments. In the morning it is better . It gets worse durin the day. I would call it one constant brain zap. My omega bioCare , mega Epa , omega 3 fatty acids from pure fish oil- 524 mg Epa and 375 mg DHA. Suggested by nutrotionist/

The pressure is much more on the left as well. Gosh, it has to finish someday . When i take this omega i do not see much difference, with magnesium maybu 5. - 10 percent.

When did u stop your medication? Did u tapper it ?

Thanks for reply

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

hi Kachna,,

unfortunately im still on withdrawal.. im on 112.5mg of Effexor down from 150mg and ive been getting most of the associated  withdrawal symptoms.. ive been tapering since February, doing it very slowly this time to try and minimise the strength of symptoms.. I did try to taper before without success got off them, but horrendous withdrawal started couple weeks later, so was reinstated again by doctor.. I was very unaware of withdrawal symptoms back then, but much more knowledgeable now thank god..

I really hope your head pressure starts to ease for you, it sounds like your having a tough time especially when its happening most of the day...

make sure to let us know how your getting on with little updates..

all the best

Kx

2010-withdrew from Effexor 150mg to zero over a period of 9 months

After six weeks became very ill

Doctor was adamant a reinstatement of 150mg was needed

I didn't know much of withdrawal symptoms at this time

February 2013- taking beads out of capsule 150mg

have taken out 112 beads equivalent to 30mg= 120mg taken

June 2013- Doctor visit- recommended given me 75mg capsules

take one in morning and one at night( take beads out of night one)

So am currently taking 75mg in morning and take beads out of 75mg night capsule to make up the other 45mg= 120mg

currently am down to taking 112.5mg..

presently reduced down to 103mg

at 93mg

at 87mg

Will do , will keep my fingers crossed so your taper is successful. It will be . I know. I tapered to quickly under doctors supervision

... Hahahaa. And it has been almost 3 months. So not a good idea to reinstate. Will keep you guys posted. It will go away. Just takes time.

Tappering st johns wort now as this may be makeing headaches worse.

Take care xx

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

• Administrator

Hi Kachna

You may want to try more Omega 3 fatty acids ... I am currently taking 1500 mg Krill Oil AM and 1500 mg Krill Oil PM ... I worked my way up to this amount over time and it worked really well for me in minimizing my withdrawal symptoms when I was in severe withdrawals in the fall of 2011. It is supposed to be really helpful for brain zaps.  Here is our discussion on Omega 3 fatty acids: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

Thanks Karma, will slowly give it a try. And keep u guys posted. Lowering st johns wort as this may be giving me headaches

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

Hello All, my headaches have improved a little. They are not constant.

However irregular heart beats came back. Would you be able to tell me id lowering st johns wort can cause this? Or is this still lexarpo? It was good for a whole month. And now it is strangely coming back and i cannot sleep .

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

• Administrator

The symptoms could be from Lexapro withdrawal or the change in St. John's Wort. How much are you taking now? How have you tapered it?

I tried to taper by one every 3 -4 days , now i am on 5 . I will stay for few more days . To stabilize . What do u think ? I also have high iron level , as i had iron infusion. Maybe this is somehow connected . My doctor says that iron would not cause such side effects.

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal

• Administrator

You may wish to taper more slowly, to stabilize between decreases. The change in St. John's Wort might be causing the palpitations.

Will give it a try , will stay on 5 , few more days and see how it stabilizes. Thanks Alto . You take a good care of yourself.

Lyrica - nov- dec 2012

Withdrawal