Should I take multivitamins?

lionboy

Do people find taking multi vitamins and / or omega 3 fish oil to be helpful ?

There seems to be conflicting opinions on the web particulally concerning b vitamins. Some seem to say these really help with w/drawal whilst others say they can overstimulate ?

1999 50mg citalopram / celexa for anxiety and depression.

dec 2007 50mg - 40mg, march 2009 40mg - 30mg, july 2009 30mg - 20mg, aug 2009 20mg - 30mg, sept 2009 30mg - 20mg, jan 2010 20mg - 30mg, july 2010 30mg - 25mg (one 20mg and half a 10mg tablet), july 2010 - july 2013 25mg

July 2013 began tapering down in 1mg increments, dissolving the tablets in water and using a syringe as suggested by Rhi. Had a few hiccups along the way as can be seen in my thread.

End December 2013, now down to 11.25mg.

Dec 2013 to present day still on 11.25 mg. I have hit, what Professor Healy terms, a shelf. I became extremely destabilised when I reduced from 12.25mg to 11.25mg. Only now, after some 15 months am I starting to really recover from it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Those topics are covered here. Read away:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/606-important-topics-about-tests-supplements-herbs-treatments/

Personally, I found a B Complex supplement far too stimulating in early withdrawal, but fish oil seemed to help a bit. Certain of the B vitamins have also been helpful for some, but I can't remember which ones. They are no doubt mentioned in one of the topics above.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

I recently talked to an integrative doctor who pointed out many widely available multivitamins have a wax coating, which prevents their complete absorption in the gut. It's common that a lot of these undigested tablets get excreted.

She suggests an easy fix -- for better absorption, break them in half when you take them.

I was looking at my Walgreen's A-Z vitamins and, sure enough, they have a light blue coating. They're scored and easy to break in half, though.

These are not special multivitamins. They're very inexpensive (and I hope their contents are of decent quality). I chose them because they have a wide range of minerals, including boron (good for older women), and low vitamin B6 content (3mg).

Like many hypersensitized people, I find vitamin B6 activating. I had to look for a multivitamin with low B3; many of the better brands are loaded with B vitamins that are too much for me.

Do you have any multivitamin tips?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Funny, I just went back to taking a multi this morning. I would like to incorporate Fish Oil and Magnesium into the mix.

The best multi vitamin I have ever taken and felt marvelous from is Ultra Body Today by Youngevity. Online. My brother has been using it for years. A little pricey. I should really order some again.

We gave it to my mother during her cancer treatments and we swear it helped bolster her immune system.

Celeste

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

My multivitamin has a light orangeish-pink coating. I've been breaking it in half before swallowing as you suggested.

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

I'm not taking multivitamins these days...but I highly recommend liquid whole food vitamins...

most multis are synthetic vitamins and no one really knows how well the body absorbs them or if they act like vitamins otherwise.

this is the last liquid vitamin I took (it's been years now that I don't take a multi) -- this one may have too many B vitamins for hyper-sensitive folks...

http://www.vitacost.com/buried-treasure-vm-100-complete-32-fl-oz-1

it's a high quality vitamin though and relatively inexpensive...my husband started taking it when I did and still takes it.

I add trace minerals to my water now...still do that...it's a good way to get minerals...I use concentrace minerals...(that's a brand)

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• 1 month later...

http://www.alternet.org/personal-health/are-vitamins-useless?page=0%2C0

Billion-Dollar Scam In a Bottle: Why Vitamins Could Be Useless—or Even Shorten Your Lifespan

What do you think about this?

Tapering Zoloft, Dec 2014

Started Lamictal

Re-started Zoloft mid-Oct 2014, 25-50mg

Stopped Zoloft end of Sept 2014

Started Zoloft July 2014, 50mg

Stopped Prozac from 3mg May 2014

Stopped Effexor Dec '13 Started 10mg Prozac

Reinstated Effexor 15mg on Nov 2013

Stopped from 21mg on Oct 2013
Effexor 112.5mg, since Dec 2012

Hi Finn,

I agree that there is an argument to make against multi vitamins generally. However I don't think it's a slam dunk.

I don't think that a person who eats a well strutured diet and who has good digestive health needs a typical multi. However many people do benefit from regular vit C, vit D, magnesium and iodine (among others) supplementation and they don't want to buy or they don't buy the various supplements one by one.

So it's probably best to eat and supplement more cautiously, I think.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

I share Alex's view...it's not black and white but ideally if one is healthy the less supps the better...

I don't take a multi anymore...that is for sure...but I do take targeted supps

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I agree it isn't a black and white issue. Part of me is cynical about that article because it seems the mainstream medical establishment is against anything that isn't a pharmaceutical for treatment.

Regarding their studies that claimed that people who took multi had a great chance of dying, as with any study, there could be other explanations that account for the increase in mortality that have nothing to do with the multivitamins. That has happened many times in previous studies in which one factor was falsely attributed as the cause.

But I do agree that you can over do it big time with multivitamins and supplements. Also, they aren't side effect free as I have sadly found out.

CS

PS - There is no question that increasing my vitamin D level to around 3000 to 4000IUS has been extremely beneficial.  I haven't gotten a cold in months in spite of my sleep problems with will lower immunity levels.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• 6 months later...

Can anyone tell me that I can take these 3 in combination without getting sick or bad in anyway? I

Today im scared to take anything , am worried my brain will get mixed up for it.

omgea3 is 500mg / each pill

D3 is 62,5uq (1250%) each pill

magnesium is 200mg each pill..

is this a good combi?

and is this better than take a multivitaminpill with abcd and so on vitamins in low doses all?

2007 - 2013: was on citalopram (tried to quit a few times, never worked, always went back on. max dose 40mg)

2012-2013: was tapering my citalopram all down to 2,5 mg then quit.
2013/aug: Took  my last pill 

W/D hit me bad after a few weeks off my medicine.

2014/August: 12 months off (much improved)

2015/April: 20months off. ( much improved, still some symtoms comes in waves, but not so intense.)

2015/june: 22months off. FELT different than before, all shakings suddenly stopped, feel much better. a fantastic feeling!

2016/Feb : 2 years and 6 months off, END of my suffering. I feel perfectly fine and back to normal. 
2018/Oct: Iam still feeling great. It is hard to believe my own story when I read back, what I went through!

Bell: I am NOT a doctor or nutritionist and am not giving medical advice and don't know your sensitivities, but I think this combo is okay, generally speaking. Have done a lot of reading about nutrients, including omega-3s, magnesium, and D3.

Current:

*Abt 1995, started fluoxetine 20 mg/day, later raised to 40 mg; *Abt 1997, started Klonopin ? mg/day

*Abt [??] started first, very slow Klon taper

*Sept 2016, Klon updosed; swapped fluox for duloxetine/lamotrigine/Seroquel (very small dose of last, for sleep) cocktail

*Early 2018, stopped Seroquel; *2020, started second Klon taper

*Abt July 2022, accidental 33% Klon cut, w/no updose; have been holding for 15 mos

*Mar 2023, abrupt lamotrigine cut from 75- to 50 mg/day; *May-June 2023, abrupt dulox cut from 90 mg- to 60 mg/day

*As of June 2023, taking lamotrigine 50 mg/day, duloxetine 60 mg/day, Klonopin .25 mg/day, metoprolol 50 mg/day, Eliquis 5 mg/day, levothyroxine 75 mcg/day

"Forget to remember; remember to forget."

• Administrator

Many of us take a similar combination with no ill effects.

If you wish to increase any of them, do it one at a time and very gradually.

For many people, the B vitamins in multivitamins may be too stimulating. You may wish to avoid those.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Some people choose to get their blood level of vitamin D checked to know what they are dealing with.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thanks alot for your answers!

2007 - 2013: was on citalopram (tried to quit a few times, never worked, always went back on. max dose 40mg)

2012-2013: was tapering my citalopram all down to 2,5 mg then quit.
2013/aug: Took  my last pill 

W/D hit me bad after a few weeks off my medicine.

2014/August: 12 months off (much improved)

2015/April: 20months off. ( much improved, still some symtoms comes in waves, but not so intense.)

2015/june: 22months off. FELT different than before, all shakings suddenly stopped, feel much better. a fantastic feeling!

2016/Feb : 2 years and 6 months off, END of my suffering. I feel perfectly fine and back to normal. 
2018/Oct: Iam still feeling great. It is hard to believe my own story when I read back, what I went through!

• 1 year later...

If you're already taking a B-vitamin when you start going through w/d, what would be the suggested method of finding out if it's activating for you? Dropping it out of your supplement rotation for x number of days and seeing your response? 

Right before dropping to zero (I've now reinstated), I started on a host of supplements at once prescribed by a functional med doc, so basically I have no way of knowing what's doing what but, I assume, by eliminating stuff one thing at a time, I guess. I just want to try to do so in the best way possible.

Thanks! 

Started Zoloft 07/06, continued through 07/08 (2-month taper, going downhill 6 weeks after stopping [w/d?]) 

Lexapro started 12/08, Lexapro increased/Buspar and Topamax added in '09, continued through 08/10 (3-month taper, disastrous results after 3 week [w/d?]) 

200 mg Zoloft started around 9/10; been between 150 and 200 mg Zoloft since then, also on Topamax and Deplin, and tried things for sleep like Trazadone (worked for a while), and Ambien, Lunesta, and Mirtazapine (all failed) 

--Started tapering 200mg Zoloft--

6-26-14 (150 mg); 7-14-14 (100 mg); 8-20-14 (50 mg); 10-25-14 (25 mg); 11-18-14 (12.5 mg); 12-2-14 stopped Zoloft 

anxiety started 3 days off, depression 12 days off; both severely intensified at 5 weeks off with a work-related trigger and got progressively worse for 10 days 

Reinstated Zoloft 12.5mg on 1-15-15 (one day at 25mg) after 6 weeks and 2 days off 

Also taking 100mg Topamax and 15mg Deplin 

You should probably knock off all the supplements (except magnesium) and the vitamins until you are more stable.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• 8 months later...

I recently tried two brands of multivitamins, Centrum generic brand, and Garden of Life Men's multivitamin.  The centrum had that wax like coating, or whatever - so I usually break it in half before ingestion, and I found it to give me a decent amount of extra energy without burning my skin or causing hypersensitivity reaction.  I started at 1/4 a tablet and worked my way up to 1 tablet once every other day (someething about taking a multi vitamin every day with ALL those nutrients seems like it might not be the wisest decision - especially when considering that my diet is very good and I am probably getting something like 200% of everything I could ever need).

The Garden of Life is one of those more vegan multivitamins that has all "natural source" vitamins (i.e., nothing is synthetic, all is derived from natural ingredients, supposedly).  I didn't get the same amount of energy from this multivitamin, and when I got up to 1 tablet, I got burning feelings typical of a hypersensitivity reaction.  So I had to return these and I just stuck with the centrums. 

I always work my way up from a small dose when I try supplements, as this website recommends, and I think that's an excellent suggestion that has saved me from adverse reactions.

There's a LOT of good information on this website about supplements.

I take the Nature Women's Energy Alive Vitamins because of the low b content.   They don't give me awesome energy but they don't cause trouble and I feel better when I take them vs. when I don't

Tried taking a multi with higher b vitamin levels and my body protested big time.   Obviously, you have have to listen to what it is telling you.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Altostrata changed the title to Should I take multivitamins?

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy